• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

I'll just say the 2 to tango thing works for me. You need two (basic basic) to tango (untapped land). all three are covered.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There's gonna be some sorta Ingest/Sphinx's Tutelage deck. Believe!

Sphinx's Tutelage...? Sphinx's Tutelage is horrific right now, though. It has something like a low 30s% win rate. That guy just got lucky with a brew no one was expecting.

The problem with Ulamog is that his last ability isn't terribly useful outside of "opponent has infinite chump blockers." But even at 10/10 indestructible, it still costs 10 mana. If the set reveals show that we're able to put Ulamog out consistently by turn 5 or something with Scions, well, then obviously he's a house.

I like how SaffronOlive is analyzing this: huge expensive fatties should probably get compared to Dragonlord Atarka.

Maledict

I can already imagine Rosewaters next State of Design column talking about how they messed up the Eldrazi, and that the new ones didnt evoke the same fear as the originals of that feeling of incredible power.

Let's be honest, Ulamog is utter junk.

kirblar

I can already imagine Rosewaters next State of Design column talking about how they messed up the Eldrazi, and that the new ones didnt evoke the same fear as the originals of that feeling of incredible power.

Like, they're all midrange donks right now or vanilla fatties. :-/

Ulamog's "when you cast" trigger should have been bigger. Like, "Exile two permanents, then up to one target player exiles two cards from his or her hand, then up to one target player exiles the top ten cards of his or her library."

Crocodile

Ulamog will probably be better in Cube than in Standard (given what little we've seen so far). But yeah I'll 100% agree that a lot of these Eldrazi lack the "oh shit" factor of their predecessors. Like the 8/9 Trample pales in comparison to an 8/8, must attack Annihilator 2 in terms of making you shit your pants. A concession to coddle new/casual players just made things worse not better (from my current vantage point).

kirblar

Like, I think they totally misunderstood the issue with Annhiliator- the issue is that people's experience with it is the 3 big legends, who have #s that are too high and totally unfun.

Annhilator 1/2? Totally fine. Munch Munch Chomp chomp. Nom nom.

It certainly is mysterious to me that they went this direction with it.

That said, I actually think Ulamog (putting his competitiveness, which I don't give a shit about, entirely aside) does capture it -- he blows stuff up on cast, he gives you a guaranteed win in just a couple attacks, he massively powers up the processor effects. If they'd given all the colorless Eldrazi this type of effect (on cast, at least) I doubt it would have seriously broken the mechanic in any format but at least would have had some extra continuity with the old designs.

Like, I think they totally misunderstood the issue with Annhiliator- the issue is that people's experience with it is the 3 big legends, who have #s that are too high and totally unfun.

Even 2 is kind of unnecessarily strong, but 1 is pretty okay as long as it's on 8+ mana critters and you prepare the environment for it. It really is a shitload of card advantage though.

Firemind

The problem with eldrazi is that they're combining fatties with mill. It's a bit like combining defender with trample. It just doesn't work.

The problem with eldrazi is that they're combining fatties with mill. It's a bit like combining defender with trample. It just doesn't work.

I don't think that's a problem. Except with Ulamog (and he does something pretty reasonable, which is lets you win with him even if he's blocked every turn) they aren't supposed to mill you out, just to feed the processors.

Crocodile

Like, I think they totally misunderstood the issue with Annihilator- the issue is that people's experience with it is the 3 big legends, who have #s that are too high and totally unfun.

Annhilator 1/2? Totally fine. Munch Munch Chomp chomp. Nom nom.

Like who was complaining about the legends though (I do agree that Annihilator 4-6 can be brutal)? They are mythic so they barely show up in ROE limited. If you're playing Legacy or Modern you are playing non-rotating formats and should be able to handle getting occasionally mauled by these cards without crying into your pillow at night. If you are playing these in Cube well then its fucking Cube where everybody is doing sick shit what's the problem? In EDH Emrakul is banned and also EDH is the MOST degenerate format in Magic, why are you complaining? Upset you got killed before you could take infinite turns in a row?

So like were a ton of people playing them in casual, 60 card constructed and not taking a hint when their friends complained about the cards?

kirblar

Emrakul got banned in Commander REAL quick for being completely miserable.

Even in Legacy/Modern they're obnoxious as fuck. T2 Goryo's = Lose your board, gg isn't interesting. They stop actual interaction from happening because of how strong their put-away effects are tuned, cheating one in early just shits on a game.

The issue is more that these big obnoxious guys were THE marquee Eldrazi cards outside of limited, where the vanilla commons were scary but much more reasonable.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh wow, I think I'm going to pre-order fat packs just for the guarantee of 80 full art lands! :0
Don't preorder them. They are unlimited supply but vendors will lie and say they have limited supply. Which is true for like maybe a week at most.

Yeef

Saying that Ulamog is bad before we know where the set (and tandard are) seems premature. There's a whole creature type dedicated to using exile as a resource. Exiling 22 cards might be a huge deal if there are any pushed processors at all.

kirblar

Besides "I need it for a deck" the only reason to preorder here is if you think you've found a very lowballed card that will spike.

Toxi

Banned
Ulamog 2.0 is a 10/10 indestructible for 10 colorless that exiles two permanents when you cast it and can't be chump-blocked indefinitely. It might not be the next face of standard, but it's hardly junk.

I actually feel like Ulamog's a pretty-well-designed card; you only get the card advantage swing if you cast it fairly, you still get the card advantage if it gets countered, it doesn't screw over mill decks like the other legendary Eldrazi, it's indestructible so you're not gonna likely lose your fatty, and it ends games fast without making opponents have to choose which permanents to sacrifice. It's about as fair as you can make a legendary Eldrazi.

Angry Grimace

Ulamog 2.0 is a 10/10 indestructible for 10 that exiles two permanents when you cast it and can't be chump-blocked indefinitely. It might not be the next face of standard, but it's hardly junk.

10 is a LOT though.

Angry Grimace

You guys bring up a good point, but I think my LGS was offering a lower then $40 preorder price, I'll have to double check though.

I often buy fat packs online for around $30. A KTK one is like $31 on Amazon.

Yeef

Disregard (You may return this spell from the stack to your hand any time before it resolves)

BR
Sorcery
Disregard
Destroy target creature. Its controller loses 1 life.

1GU
Creature - Fish Boar
Flash, Disregard
3/2

3RW
Instant
~ deals 4 damage, divided as you choose among any number of target attacking creatures.
Disregard

I'm bored

9I1LV7e.gif
9I1LV7e.gif

You need to put disregard on shit like "Destroy all creatures" and "Each player draws cards equal to the number of creatures they control."

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Disregard on Gitaxian Probe.

I was thinking too small.

Inflation
WB
Instant
Spells cost (1) more while ~this~ is on the stack.
Disregard

JulianImp

Disregard on Gitaxian Probe.

I was thinking too small.

Inflation
WB
Instant
Spells cost (1) more while ~this~ is on the stack.
Disregard

People would just let it resolve and then go on to cast their spells, sadly. Maybe you should try the opposite instead:

Deflation
UR
Instant
Disregard
Spells cost (1) less to cast while Deflation is on the stack.

I'll terror... oh 1B
Instant
Disregard
Destroy target creature if it isn't black or an artifact.

And for an application that could be somewhat interesting:

No more two-for-ones 1WW
Enchantment - Aura (uncommon)
Disregard
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+2 and has vigilance.
Sacrifice <this>: Creatures you control get +1/+2 and gain vigilance until end of turn.

OnPoint

The best part of that article is that he gives a pretty detailed explanation of something everyone should have, but didn't seem to know: Ulamog 2 isn't very good.

FIrst off, I've been calling him Twolamog. I wish other people would as well.

Secondly, god it's so bad.

OnPoint

Double post but whatever. Been thinking about a Jace that uses illusions (sorry for the unintentional GnR reference) since his cards never really touch on that. I've landed on something kind of unique that may or may not work within the rules, but it's fun to dream. Also I'm sure this is too strong.

Planeswalker - Jace

{+2} Put an Illusory Jace planeswalker token onto the battlefield
with one loyalty counter that reads "During your opponents turns,
all creatures able to attack Illusory Jace must do so if able."

{-2} Draw two cards, then put one card from your hand back on top
of your library.

{-6} Target opponent exiles the top ten cards of his or her library. You
may cast one of those cards without paying their mana cost until the
end of the turn.
__________________________{2}

Ulamog will have to fight for Ugin's spot as a 1 of finisher in decks and I'm not sure he'll win. He can finish the game a lot faster but that extra 2 mana is a real thing and I'm not convinced Eldrazi ramp is going to be a thing yet.

Hero

Double post but whatever. Been thinking about a Jace that uses illusions (sorry for the unintentional GnR reference) since his cards never really touch on that. I've landed on something kind of unique that may or may not work within the rules, but it's fun to dream. Also I'm sure this is too strong.

Planeswalker - Jace

{+2} Put an Illusory Jace planeswalker token onto the battlefield

{-2} Draw two cards, then put one card from your hand back on top
of your library.

end of the turn.
__________________________{2}

The first ability is a white thing and not to mention any deck that doesn't have spells to interact//kill planeswalkers loses to this card because he infinitely makes them attack into the token. Not sure how that's fun.

OnPoint

The first ability is a white thing and not to mention any deck that doesn't have spells to interact//kill planeswalkers loses to this card because he infinitely makes them attack into the token. Not sure how that's fun.
It's white because of Gideon? It could be white-blue honestly, it just isn't right now.

As for interaction, black directly targets pw, red has DD, blue can bounce, white has O ring abilities, the only fucked one is green. In that case the token could be an enchantment (it is an illusion after all) giving it further vulnerability to all 5 colors, or people would have to splash. Who plays mono green these days anyway?

Hero

It's white because of Gideon? It could be white-blue honestly, it just isn't right now.

As for interaction, black directly targets pw, red has DD, blue can bounce, white has O ring abilities, the only fucked one is green. In that case the token could be an enchantment (it is an illusion after all) giving it further vulnerability to all 5 colors, or people would have to splash. Who plays mono green these days anyway?

The planeswalkers ability for that is strictly white because of Gideon. While there are some overlapping abilities between walkers I don't think it f

I didn't say there aren't any outs but this design basically forces people to have the answer in hand or top deck it because combat damage is still the most common way of killing a walker. Why would the token be an enchantment? Doesn't make sense. This Jace is basically a repeatable fog and the fact that he ults after two activations means the window of finding an answer is small.

OnPoint

The planeswalkers ability for that is strictly white because of Gideon. While there are some overlapping abilities between walkers I don't think it f

I didn't say there aren't any outs but this design basically forces people to have the answer in hand or top deck it because combat damage is still the most common way of killing a walker. Why would the token be an enchantment? Doesn't make sense. This Jace is basically a repeatable fog and the fact that he ults after two activations means the window of finding an answer is small.

In terms of answers, I get what you're saying. Maybe swap that and the other ability in terms of plus and minus and it's more fair. That way it at least can't lock other players so easily.

I still believe this ability could make its way out of white and also into blue, though, if they wanted to justify it. I think it fits because Jace has at least once in the Uncharted Realms stories made an illusion version of himself to deal with a situation. He even made fake Jaces in the last story, didn't he? I like the flavor of someone attacking Jace but only getting the smoke and mirrors one. I would have liked to have done it another way, like somehow put two Jaces on the battlefield and made the opponent guess which one it is, but this was the cleanest solution I could think of right now.

So maybe it should be more like

Planeswalker - Jace

{+2} Draw two cards, then put one card from your hand back on top
of your library.

{-2} Put an Illusory Jace planeswalker token onto the battlefield

end of the turn.
________________________{ 3 }​

I could see one like this along those lines:

Jace, Master Conjurer 2UU
Planeswalker - Jace

{+1} Draw a card.

{-X} Put X 0/2 blue Jace Beleren Creature Tokens onto the battlefield. Each token has "When this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it".

{-6} Put five tokens onto the battlefield. Each of those tokens enter the battlefield as a copy of any permanent on the battlefield, except it's an Illusion in addition to its other types and it gains "When this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it."

[3]

Still too good for Standard, though.

What's false?

1. It costs WW which is restrictive.
2. It cannot fetch a land every time.
3. It can only fetch a plains.
4. It's a 2/2. In a format with massive creature power creep.
5. It's not like there's anything to make it good. White Devotion won't be a thing anymore without Nykthos.

It's a baller in mono white, there is reason Sam Black rolled with 4 of them at Worlds. It's a 2/2 first striker for 1 (since the Plains comes into play untapped) that will allow you to play the new Gideon or a Archangel of Tithes on turn 3 if you're on the draw. That's pretty fucking good and if mono white goes anywhere after rotation you can bet the Knight will be a part of it's core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom