• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
But wouldn't it stabilise on the same price? Or is it that Modern infect will rise in price due to not having berserk?

Yeah, Legacy infect should stabilize near or below the old price, with a knock-on effect of Modern Infect getting noticeably pricier.

Let's say Legacy Infect costs $2000 to build (this is at least in the neighborhood.) Of that $2000, the vast majority of the value is in seven cards: Tropical Island, Berserk, Force of Will, Flusterstorm, Inkmoth Nexus, Noble Hierarch, and Misty Rainforest. Of those, there are three whose value is primarily from their place in Infect decks: Berserk, Noble Hierarch, and Inkmoth Nexus.

Now let's say that something totally implausible happens like Berserk being reprinted in a mass-printed set that'll drive its value down to $10. Now all of a sudden, with nothing else changing, the price of that deck is $1640.

Now, let's say the demand to play the deck stays exactly identical. If that's true, people should be theoretically willing to pay exactly the same amount to play it ($2000), so any dealer who sees this can adjust their prices to recapture some of those $360 savings. They can't easily do that with something like Force of Will because it's played in so many different decks. Instead, the best chance is with the cards that have no current supply and are primarily played in Infect -- if Inkmoth Nexus goes up $15 those incoming Legacy Infect players are still gonna buy it because they're only losing $60 of that $360 savings they got out of the Berserk.

Now doing this math I think stuff won't actually spike that much just because Berserk is much less of the value of that deck than I thought -- it looks like most lists only run 2 so there's not that much savings to recapture. But Inkmoth is also due for another spike from not being reprinted.

CqKmVWBUAAEWoF6.png

Daedardus

So Hierarch will probably go up too? Since she is played in many creature heavy decks too like Eldrazi, Abzan Company and Kiki-Chord. Would suck a lot because I wanted to pick her up too.

Daedardus

Probably? She did get a reprint though.

Didn't help because she's almost as high as Snapcaster now, while I would argue that Snapcaster is a much better and more popular creature, although Innistrad was a good set with decent value and Conflux is mostly junk.

hermit7

Berserk? Now put in Rishadan Port, Wizards. Do it!

If only. I am putting pieces for D&t together now and have only held off on those because of the price. Everything else has gotten reprinted in the past year or so so they are all reasonably affordable.

Firemind

coincidentally, 8/8 is the biggest lizard ever printed

it ties with dragons that isn't an artifact creature named draco

yes i'm posting this because i'm salty as fuck

duxstar

So ive come to the conclusion that Dragonlod Dromoka will always be my #1 commander, theres just something about not having to worry about your shit getting countered or killed on your turn that puts you at complete ease. I realize its not the super #1 competitive general , and that gaddock tee/Sisay would probably be better in super competitive fields but i like my EDH deck.

The reason im posting this however is because i have high hopes for a new Selvala out of conspiracy 2 and couldnt think how i would want her to play.

Also to post that Xenagos , my backup commander gets lots of new toys out of this set. Berserk, a Sorcery that destroys artifacts, deals damage to creatures AND creates an 8/8 , its like they built it just for me!!!

Also as a death and Taxes player, sanctum of prelate and the recruiter are both amazing. I dont know how the deck should be built but i can easily see it becoming more of a tool box deck. Now its easier to run 1 ofs of aven mindcensor, Blade Splicer , Vryn Wingmares, and even quicker to find sideboarded cards like katakis war wage, Burring forgetender and more.

All in all i like what this set is doing alot, even if i hate opening rares that do nothing outside of draft/cube

Ashodin

So ive come to the conclusion that Dragonlod Dromoka will always be my #1 commander, theres just something about not having to worry about your shit getting countered or killed on your turn that puts you at complete ease. I realize its not the super #1 competitive general , and that gaddock tee/Sisay would probably be better in super competitive fields but i like my EDH deck.

The reason im posting this however is because i have high hopes for a new Selvala out of conspiracy 2 and couldnt think how i would want her to play.

Also to post that Xenagos , my backup commander gets lots of new toys out of this set. Berserk, a Sorcery that destroys artifacts, deals damage to creatures AND creates an 8/8 , its like they built it just for me!!!

Also as a death and Taxes player, sanctum of prelate and the recruiter are both amazing. I dont know how the deck should be built but i can easily see it becoming more of a tool box deck. Now its easier to run 1 ofs of aven mindcensor, Blade Splicer , Vryn Wingmares, and even quicker to find sideboarded cards like katakis war wage, Burring forgetender and more.

All in all i like what this set is doing alot, even if i hate opening rares that do nothing outside of draft/cube

I hate to break it to you but they used Selvala's art (if she were to have a card) on another card. So she's likely not getting one.

Lizards > dragons

Fuck the food chain.

Subterranean Tremors would have been best if it was a dinosaur instead of either of those. That's one reason why it would be better to give them an explicit creature type: it would have so much more impact if the card said to put a Dinosaur token on the battlefield instead of "Lizard Beast" or something.

Anyway, the card's neat. 4R for "destroy all artifacts, deal 4 damage to all creatures without flying" on its own would be playable, right?

Firemind

the problem with edh is because decks consist of 100 cards, a new card has to be really good for me to consider it

i mean my main deck is mono red dragon tribal and even i don't have a lot of squeezing room. i could cut shivan dragon but nah.

MoxManiac

Subterranean Tremors would have been best if it was a dinosaur instead of either of those. That's one reason why it would be better to give them an explicit creature type: it would have so much more impact if the card said to put a Dinosaur token on the battlefield instead of "Lizard Beast" or something.

Anyway, the card's neat. 4R for "destroy all artifacts, deal 4 damage to all creatures without flying" on its own would be playable, right?

Shatterstorm is 4 on its own, right?

I hate to break it to you but they used Selvala's art (if she were to have a card) on another card. So she's likely not getting one.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything, we've had spell or conspiracy art with a few of the legend/PW characters who do have cards. We had five legends in CNS, with four spoiled in CN2 so far; of those five, we have new cards for two, Muzzio hasn't shown up in the CN2 story, and Brago is dead, which leaves Selvala as the good remaining candidate. (One G in Leovold's cost is also the only green amongst the six legends + planeswalkers we've seen so far, so if there's another legend it'd make sense for them to be green.)

Boros Charm tho?

If I wanted to I could flash in Avacyn but if I don't have mistveil plains and sunforger in play I'd prefer keeping them in hand/commandzone. To deter opponents from wrathing my board. I also like the idea of a Lizard token to add to my token pile for the deck (birds, tons soldiers, not enough RW soldiers, 3/1 Elemental Shamans, tons of 4/4 angels, missing singular morph and finally manifest tokens)

This set is pretty fun for Cubes.

Yeah, a few years ago people were talking about the summer multiplayer products and discussing what it would take to make a product to support cube... and I guess now we know the answer.

They need to make one with gold-bordered tokens of reserved cards

Conspiracy 2 won't appear on MTGO though.

The new cards will. All the ones from CNS were in Vintage Masters and they've already confirmed there'll be another new mechanism to get these ones.

Hero

Yeah, a few years ago people were talking about the summer multiplayer products and discussing what it would take to make a product to support cube... and I guess now we know the answer.

They need to make one with gold-bordered tokens of reserved cards

The new cards will. All the ones from CNS were in Vintage Masters and they've already confirmed there'll be another new mechanism to get these ones.

Yeah, Conspiracy 2 definitely seems to have more Cube love. I think in the next year or two we will see some official Cube product, maybe like you said gold-bordered "proxies" in new art/frame. I remember a year or two back Aaron F. asked on Twitter about if people would buy a Cube product and what that would look like.

Conspiracy 2 won't appear on MTGO though.

They won't do it how they did Conspiracy? These cards have to be made available to MTGO somehow.

Modern MOCS MTGO tournament had a different take on Jund.
Do you think these changes will be permanent and widespread or do you think it was just innovating with new cards but won't be a real list change for the default Jund player?
Taking out Dark Confidant is pretty big, but Grim Flayer lets you filter your draws, beef up Tarmogoyf, and put Linger Souls into the yard.

Jund by zyxwvutsrqpon
Finished 1st Place at MTGO Modern MOCS: 8/13

4 Grim Flayer
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tarmogoyf

4 Liliana of the Veil

1 Abrupt Decay
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Lingering Souls
2 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Mishra's Bauble
1 Seal of Fire
1 Tarfire
3 Terminate
2 Thoughtseize

4 Blackcleave Cliffs
1 Blood Crypt
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Copperline Gorge
1 Forest
1 Godless Shrine
1 Marsh Flats
2 Overgrown Tomb
3 Raging Ravine
1 Stomping Ground
1 Swamp
4 Verdant Catacombs

//
2 Ancient Grudge
2 Fulminator Mage
2 Golgari Charm
2 Kitchen Finks
3 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Painful Truths
1 Scavenging Ooze
2 Thoughtseize

El Topo

They won't do it how they did Conspiracy? These cards have to be made available to MTGO somehow.

I was really only trying to convey that a reprint of cards in Conspiracy 2 does not necessarily mean that the card will be easier available on MTGO. I'm not up to date with how Conspiracy 2 will be handled on MTGO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom