• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

i7n27blui5gx.png

That second ability seems insane in a red 2 drop.

Another card that goes straight into my Alesha edh deck.

Historically, "play a card from your opponent's deck" has been blue, but I'm not sure that's something anyone ever consciously decided after the "well it's literally any mechanic so it must be blue" era. Impulse-draw from your own library is firmly red now so this is presumably seen as an extension of that.

Historically, "play a card from your opponent's deck" has been blue, but I'm not sure that's something anyone ever consciously decided after the "well it's literally any mechanic so it must be blue" era. Impulse-draw from your own library is firmly red now so this is presumably seen as an extension of that.

it isn't just from that era. We had Daxos as recent as Theros.

Ive been playing magic 22 years...what the hell does Goad mean and why isnt it explained lol

they usually put the reminder text on all cards featuring a new mechanic but on the higher rarities they kleave it out if there isn't enough room on the card. Due to the new way modal cards are templated it takes considerably more room.

bigkrev

It's the whole part about Red getting to spend mana as though it's any color that gets me here. The flavor of Red doing it to itself, as I see it, is the Mage frantically going through the spell book, ripping out a page, and going "ah ha! I can use this", or "shit, why did I do that" if it can't use it, and thus looses access to the spell forever. It's s pretty good red flavor. In blue, it's flavored as a Mage reading the mind and stealing the spell from someone, which at least partially justifies spending the mans of any color- if you are powerful enough to take the spell, you can probably twist it in a way so you can cast it, and Blue being able to create different colors of mana for specific purposes (usually involving artifacts) is something it can do.

The flavor for this red effect is obviously stealing a physical item, which kinda doesn't work because sorcerys aren't tangible, why does the item you steal go away if you don't quickly use it, and why can the red Mage suddenly learn how to use its mana in a different way? Using its mana that way has never been part of red, is super niche that it makes zero sense to shift over for the one card a year they make that uses it, and doesn't have any flavor fit?

This feels a lot like Harmonize- an intentional color pie break in a intentionally non-traditional set that 8 years from now people will be tweeting at Maro about because they never do a second card

Shame you can't play any lands it gets.

MaRo mentioned on Blogatog that one reason why they don't make land tokens is that players tend to shuffle in their lands in a completely different way than their creatures, one that makes it far more likely that they'd shuffle in the land tokens. I'm guessing it's for this reason that you can't get your opponent's lands.

I'm glad they're doing "temporary draw from your opponent's library" for red. I remember I was disappointed when Theros came out and Daxos had that ability after they made a big deal out of red getting the self version.

The difference between this and giving red random discard is that it's effectively the same as an ability red already has, except you have even less choice over what card you get (such that it needs the "spend mana as any color" clause to be of any use).

The difference between this and giving red random discard is that it's effectively the same as an ability red already has, except you have even less choice over what card you get (such that it needs the "spend mana as any color" clause to be of any use).

How is that any different, taking something red does to itself, random discard, and do that to the opponent.
If at all you could say there needs to be an upside for the opponent but the issue of not giving red CA with draw discard like blue has is already there by the red player using a spell.

And Grenko's effect doesn't even have the downside of not having the means to cast whatever he gets, nor the downside of exiling an owned spell he could cast later

Daedardus

MaRo mentioned on Blogatog that one reason why they don't make land tokens is that players tend to shuffle in their lands in a completely different way than their creatures, one that makes it far more likely that they'd shuffle in the land tokens. I'm guessing it's for this reason that you can't get your opponent's lands.

Oblivion Sower gets you your opponents lands though.

How is that any different, taking something red does to itself, random discard, and do that to the opponent.
If at all you could say there needs to be an upside for the opponent but the issue of not giving red CA with draw discard like blue has is already there by the red player using a spell.

And Grenko's effect doesn't even have the downside of not having the means to cast whatever he gets, nor the downside of exiling an owned spell he could cast later
Green has the ability to sacrifice creatures, but you aren't going to see green do that to its opponents anytime soon (besides flying creatures). Besides, random discard isn't even something they do often anymore, even as a downside. I'm pretty sure Whispers of Emrakul is the only one printed in the last few years.

I'm having some trouble parsing the rest of the argument, so I'll address what I think you might be saying:
* As to why red is allowed to get card advantage here, red has already had creatures that "temporary draw" on combat damage, permanents that can "temporary draw" every turn, and other spells that get more than one card. In fact, the very first red "temporary draw" card allowed you to do it repeatedly.
* You still have to pay the converted mana cost of the spell to cast it, and it's entirely likely that the spell doesn't work well with your game plan or current board state.
* Except in very large numbers, "temporary draw" effectively doesn't have a downside no matter from which library you exile. You just as easily couldn't have drawn the card you exiled but couldn't cast this turn. And maybe exiling from your opponent's library got them closer to a card that wins them the game.

Oblivion Sower gets you your opponents lands though.

And it isn't uncommon for people to accidentally shuffle in their opponent's lands after that. Plus, it's a mythic rare that only does it once in a splashy effect, as opposed to the recurring effect this card has. But in any case, it probably is just a power level issue.

it isn't just from that era. We had Daxos as recent as Theros.

I didn't say they hadn't used it recently. I just mean there are a lot of abilities that showed up in blue ages ago and then kept getting printed in blue out of habit. In recent years there's a bunch of these where R&D suddenly realized "oh wait this doesn't HAVE to be just blue" and this could well be a similar case.

It's the whole part about Red getting to spend mana as though it's any color that gets me here.

All effects like this, especially on legendary creatures, are gonna work this way now because of Commander, pretty much. It's not a red thing, it's just a recognition that needing to have the right mana when you steal an opponent's draw is hella clunky.

In blue, it's flavored as a Mage reading the mind and stealing the spell from someone, which at least partially justifies spending the mans of any color- if you are powerful enough to Take the spell, you can probably twist it in a way so you can cast it, and Blue being able to create different colors of mana for specific purposes (usually involving artifacts) is something it can do.

This is pretty much the exact "well blue should be able to do anything, it's the color of MAGIC" reasoning that left blue arbitrarily overpowered for so long. :p

Not really the same kind of opposite. With impulse-draw, the net effect (you get +1 card if you can cast it that turn) is the same and only the source changes. With discard, the effect (choosing to pay a cost for a spell or ability on your side, vs. forcing disruption on your opponent on the other) is completely different.

This is a $100 card that's gonna crash to $10 off this set so... that's a thing?

That's a 90ish dollar card reprinted into what we believe will be a standard print run/widely available set

Already confirmed that like CNS it will have unlimited printing for its lifespan until people stop ordering.

This printing of a really expensive card in this set makes me wonder if they might shift away from the Masters model to instead make more "mostly reprints" sets that have some new cards, similar to how the Core Sets shifted with M10.

Firemind

Wait if you become the monarch do you just lose monarch if you receive combat damage or do you actually transfer monarch to the one who dealt damage?

And at the beginning of the end step triggers are avoidable if you play the card at the beginning of the end step, right? Because there are no more steps after that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wait if you become the monarch do you just lose monarch if you receive combat damage or do you actually transfer monarch to the one who dealt damage?

And at the beginning of the end step triggers are avoidable if you play the card at the beginning of the end step, right? Because there are no more steps after that.

Whenever a creature deals combat damage to the monarch, its controller becomes the monarch. And although it would be pretty funny if Player A could attack Player B and then Player C casts Act of Aggression on Player A's unblocked creature, that doesn't work.

kirblar

Beserk is totally a test to see how people react.

Also, the rest of the Infect deck is going to go up in price.

That effect is red because it is temporary.

Blue and Black have the long-term version:

Image.ashx

Your idea on random discard doesn't work. Red gets random replacement (Wheel of Fortune) - Random discard is black because it's actually an upgrade on regular discard.

CqKNp_pUMAA_5VC.png

This card is going to do some of the absolute nuttiest shit in cubes. Also: great use of red randomness that isn't just completely random, and great use of the expansion of copying effects into red.

EDIT:

The awards for best card name, best card designed specifically for use as a meme image, and best top-down design to represent posting in a forum flamewar go to....

0zLWmKf.png

Your idea on random discard doesn't work. Red gets random replacement (Wheel of Fortune) - Random discard is black because it's actually an upgrade on regular discard.

Yeah, the card replacement effect is very much red and has been showing up more often again lately.

Hmm, how broken is this effect: "Exile your hand, then draw that number of cards. You may play cards exiled by ~ until end of turn." Probably... pretty broken, right?

Joe Molotov

CqKNp_pUMAA_5VC.png

This card is going to do some of the absolute nuttiest shit in cubes. Also: great use of red randomness that isn't just completely random, and great use of the expansion of copying effects into red.

One time I drafted 3 copies of Reya Dawnbringer in a Conspiracy 1 draft...

Daedardus

Ordered a box, because why not. Was my last €100 on my bank account for this month, but uncommon serum visions, a good chance for nice IoK and other cool stuff is too good to not pick it up.

You can draft this with four people and play in a four people free-for-all, right? Because I won't be able to gather 8 people for the draft, and it also means I can draft three times.

I really like the design of Volatile Chimera. It's a good way to bring shapeshifting into red, keeping it random but in a way that can make it good.

You can draft this with four people and play in a four people free-for-all, right? Because I won't be able to gather 8 people for the draft, and it also means I can draft three times.

You can do whatever you want with it. Eight-person drafts are just recommended.

ultron87

That should work. Just know that if you do only 3 packs with 4 people it gets a harder to build a good deck (because there are less overall cards) so that can make the experience less fun.

OnPoint

Inkmoth could get out of hand, because there is also demand for it in modern Affinity and Infect

Glad I scooped those two foils a few years back. I picked up Pendelhavens since it was the only card in the deck I didn't have 4 of (besides Misty Rainforest, which I'm sure will see a reprint).

Daedardus

Once the most expensive (non-land) piece gets cheaper, the deck begins to look more affordable. As people buy in, supply curtails and prices rise.

But wouldn't it stabilise on the same price? Or is it that Modern infect will rise in price due to not having berserk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom