• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedardus

Now that magiccards.info seems to be basically kaput, y'all want to get the new hotness at mtg.wtf.

The best part of magiccards was its integration with TCGplayer, meaning you could easily look up a certain card and get to know its value. I do hope they resurrect it in the coming months.

G.ZZZ

The Emissary of Trest is some sick value, and hose both control and combo while giving you cards if it get removed.

Daretti is a bit hard to evaluate, especially since the color combination is uncommon in eternal formats, but i love it and i think its power level is high.

The white prelate is really good and its effect is better than chalice because you can't bypass it with storm or uncounterable cards (or boseiju), which make it + mom a complete blowout vs miracles.

White recruiter is also an absurd card vs miracle with vial, as it can give you a board of 3/1 fliers from nothing or possibly fetch some uncommon bombs.

I liked Cardkingdom because they break down the search with every part of a card. So If I wanted to know how many 2CMC or less black or green enchantments with the words "graveyard" and "mana" in their oracle text are legal in Modern, I could do that and it was super clean and easy to use. I did those kinds of searches all the time.

Cardkingdom still lets you do that, but it takes extra clicks and the results aren't organized as nicely as they were before.

Yeef

I still use magiccards.info if I'm looking for anything pre-EMA. For EMA and EMN, I use magidex.com since it's the closest thing to magiccards.info and uses the same search syntax.

By the way, someone asked why nobody was playing a GBcx midrange deck like the one I played last season.

The main reasons are that my ramp creatures are terrible against liliana, Painful Truths is terrible against Spell Queller and Reality Smasher is terrible against Elder Deep-Fiend and Kozilek's Return.

It was a deck that won by going just a little big bigger than the other midrange decks but those decks are gone now and mid-sized dudes backed with card advantage just isn't a winning strategy anymore. The format is either super tempo or turbo-emrakul and the decks sitting in the middle have trouble with both.

Transgress the Mind and Dragonlord Silumgar are still good though.

See I disagree. Red constantly gets to discard cards at random of their own volition. Red just got reaffirmed as a colour of madness. Red is the colour of chaos. The effect is similar but distinct enough between discard of their choice, discard of your choice and discard at random with the latter clearly being the chaotic version.

Don't worry Fami I got your back on this one, I agree with you. I think random discard is more in flavor than temporary land freezing is anyway.

wtb tcgp ads

seriously those were great

I know right? Maybe the single case I can think of where the ads are an actively positive aspect of the browsing experience.

Don't worry Fami I got your back on this one, I agree with you. I think random discard is more in flavor than temporary land freezing is anyway.

How? Red never messes with the mind, just the emotions. Red can't make you forget things or go insane or enter a catatonic state.

I don't think anyone thinks land freezing is a perfect flavor match, it's just a sop to the fact that land destruction is in-color for red but also too good to actually print into Standard.

bigkrev

The power levels in Conspiracy seem so fucking jacked up.

I think they took the lesson of Mind Sieze in Commander to heart, especially when Containment Priest the following year happened. They want you to be able to walk into Target and buy whatever current Commander product you want, and they especially don't want hobby stores to be pricing one of the decks higher than the others. The Eternal plants that aren't that great in commander- your Flusterstorms, True-Name Nemises, Containment Priest- make a lot more sense in a booster product. Conspiracy is the best place to do it- it isn't a limited run product or sold at an inflated price like Masters sets, and it bypasses the need to have the cards enter Standard and Modern, so they don't need to be balanced. And because there isn't a single legacy playable in Commander 2015, you can easily walk into your LGS and buy any of the 5 you want at retail.

It's a great solution that also encourages people who don't have friends or hate limited/multiplayer to buy your product that is designed primarily for draft.

People have been talking about printing new Modern legal cards into future Modern Masters set, which have always sounded like a disaster to me- a new 4x Mythic staple in a limited run set with $10 boosters sounds like a recipe for a $300+ card, which isn't something they want to do with a new card created for a format they give plenty of support to.

How? Red never messes with the mind, just the emotions. Red can't make you forget things or go insane or enter a catatonic state.

I don't think anyone thinks land freezing is a perfect flavor match, it's just a sop to the fact that land destruction is in-color for red but also too good to actually print into Standard.

One of the biggest battle tropes though is getting too emotionally hijacked, causing you to make errors. I see the flavor along those lines.

Threaten effects are making people go insane flavour wise pretty often.
Messing with emotions is messing with people's brain and/or hormones.

Messing with the mind is pretty much only impossible for Green, even white has detainment effect in those regards.

One of the biggest battle tropes though is getting too emotionally hijacked, causing you to make errors. I see the flavor along those lines.

That isn't the flavor of discard, though. Like your argument here is that this thing that doesn't fit with the color's expressed themes mechanically and which has had an extremely consistent and flavorful expression throughout the game's history should expand to this new, more abstract, harder to convey on individual cards flavor to support the mechanical expansion.

Threaten effects are making people go insane flavour wise pretty often.

The only example I see is Temporary Insanity from Torment, which is hardly the flavor of permanently losing access to cards in your hand. Otherwise they're fairly consistent in being flavored either as purely magical control or as various angry emotions.

That isn't the flavor of discard, though. Like your argument here is that this thing that doesn't fit with the color's expressed themes mechanically and which has had an extremely consistent and flavorful expression throughout the game's history should expand to this new, more abstract, harder to convey on individual cards flavor to support the mechanical expansion.

The only example I see is Temporary Insanity from Torment, which is hardly the flavor of permanently losing access to cards in your hand. Otherwise they're fairly consistent in being flavored either as purely magical control or as various angry emotions.
Well that's not the way I see it. I think the flavor fits more or less.

ultron87

I'm trying to think of some way that Red would "Act of Treason" a player and make them cast something in a disadvantageous way.

Like, they reveal their hand and you may pick an instant or sorcery that they have to cast without paying its mana cost. And it can't be targeted to you or a permanent you control I guess?

So it's like a Duress that misses more due to no legal targets, but has the upside of them bolting themselves or their creature or whatever.

Hmm. I guess that's what Mindclaw Shaman does, but worse and much more complicatedly.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Now that magiccards.info seems to be basically kaput, y'all want to get the new hotness at mtg.wtf.

Is this confirmed in any capacity, or is this an assumption based on the fact that the database has not been updated in the last few months? There is no other card index that is as flexible and fully featured as magiccards.info, so this makes me very sad. It's the go-to site I recommend for newer players who want to learn about older cards.

G.ZZZ

While straight up discard may be out of flavor for red, this ain't:

Flow of Ideas R
Sorcery
Each player discard two cards at random, then draw two cards.

Yes it's card disadvantage for you, but it's also a madness outlet. Still, wotc would never print this because feelsBadMan.

Or even:

Winds of Change 2.0 1R
Sorcery
Each player discard its hand, then draw that many cards.

Winds of Change actually shuffling instead of discarding was so much FeelsBadMan. I understand the card would be borderline broken nowadays had it that text at R, but at 2 mana it wouldn't any more abusable than tolarian winds with the added bonus of sometimes screwing your opponent (or giving him free obstinate baloths).

EDIT: thinking about it even at R it wouldn't be that broken in dredge. Faithless looting would still be better cause flashbackable with LED and you can chain them and discard after draw which is pretty good.

G.ZZZ

I'm trying to think of some way that Red would "Act of Treason" a player and make them cast something in a disadvantageous way.

Like, they reveal their hand and you may pick an instant or sorcery that they have to cast without paying its mana cost. And it can't be targeted to you or a permanent you control I guess?

So it's like a Duress that misses more due to no legal targets, but has the upside of them bolting themselves or their creature or whatever.

Hmm. I guess that's what Mindclaw Shaman does, but worse and much more complicatedly.

You can do something similar by simply printing a Divert effect or even a counterspell that can only target instant and sorceries and deal feedback damage. Something like:

Wild Magic Zone RR
Enchantment
Whenever a player play an instant or sorcery spell, flip a coin. If you win the flip, you may sacrifice Wild Magic Zone. If you do, counter that spell and deal 3 damage to its controller.

RNG gods coming for ya'

Hero

While straight up discard may be out of flavor for red, this ain't:

Flow of Ideas R
Sorcery
Each player discard two cards at random, then draw two cards.

Yes it's card disadvantage for you, but it's also a madness outlet. Still, wotc would never print this because feelsBadMan.

Uh, bro?

Image.ashx

Toxi

Banned
en_GhygaqFObK.png

Oh man, this is an awesome commander.
On one hand, it's a commander that reduces the amount of bullshit and that's awesome.

On the other hand, it's a Sultai commander, which means anyone who's using it will probably be playing a bunch of bullshit.

Still, having people play this instead of Mimeoplasm is always a plus.

On one hand, it's a commander that reduces the amount of bullshit and that's awesome.

On the other hand, it's a Sultai commander, which means anyone who's using it will probably be playing a bunch of bullshit.

Still, having people play this instead of Mimeoplasm is always a plus.

you say that until you get wheeled for the first time while he's in play.

OnPoint

Nah, Dack got pretty low too. Vintage-oriented cards will spike after set goes OOP.

I picked up two. I'll probably kick myself for not doing the full four if he explodes. I'm only weary because he seems better than Kaya, and she's preordering for way more.

Edit: or I thought she was. Damn, she dropped.

Yeah, I think Word of Command is pretty straight-up allowable in red (given that it's basically just one-turn mana denial + a really elaborate redirection effect) so something like this should be as well.

Is this confirmed in any capacity, or is this an assumption based on the fact that the database has not been updated in the last few months?

The guy who owns it has been gone from most places on the internet for years and it hasn't had real feature updates in a similarly long time, it's been getting slower and slower to update, and now it's gone two major sets without a spoiler update. I'm not saying it will definitely never come back to life, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also I'm psyched for CMD 2016 brehs

I'm excited, partially because I've wanted the option to build these decks for a really long time, but partially just because I'm exceedingly curious what approach(es) they took to designing the commanders. It looks like there are 3 new ones in each deck so they would've had to dig pretty deep.

kirblar

I picked up two. I'll probably kick myself for not doing the full four if he explodes. I'm only weary because he seems better than Kaya, and she's preordering for way more.

Edit: or I thought she was. Damn, she dropped.
She's not great outside of multiplayer.

OnPoint

She's not great outside of multiplayer.

I agree with you. I just figured her (initially) high price would cause this one to come in undervalued. I see now that may not be the case. Still, I like Daretti, so I'm happy I got in early just in case.

Ashodin

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";214045929]LSV said a ton of the early decks their team were making for the PT contained Wharf Infiltrator. At least I know I wasn't crazy.[/QUOTE]

It's sum good

Like I literally think it's the best example of skulk.

Does Conspiracy get released on MTGO via drafting and packs?
I seem to recall that they stopped selling the Commander decks in the MTGO store, and that the new cards were to be released to the MTGO community via some kind of special drafts...

Nope. Conspiracy 1 had its unique cards mixed into Vintage Masters. C15 had its cards distributed as prize packs for the Legendary Cube. They've got some other silly plan like this for CNS2.

Crazy.

================================================================
Does anyone happen to know of any Cardhoarder discount codes? I'm looking at buying into Modern Jund so every bit of money I can save would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, it has to, it's only a rare. Just make sure to get a set by Kaladesh release (when people stop selling/opening Conspiracy)

I suspect Conspiracy will run a little longer than typical for expert sets (since people will buy it for personal drafting, etc. rather than opening a ton of it at FNMs) but I'd guess the effect would just be to make the price floor last a little longer, not bring it down any further, so grabbing stuff by KLD would still be prudent.

kirblar

I suspect Conspiracy will run a little longer than typical for expert sets (since people will buy it for personal drafting, etc. rather than opening a ton of it at FNMs) but I'd guess the effect would just be to make the price floor last a little longer, not bring it down any further, so grabbing stuff by KLD would still be prudent.
What matters is how long dealers are cracking boxes and such for.

hermit7

Yeah, it has to, it's only a rare. Just make sure to get a set by Kaladesh release (when people stop selling/opening Conspiracy)

What do you think the floor of it is? I am thinking it is going to be around what true name has settled at (18 or so) but true name did jump to 50 dollars before coming down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom