• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chorazin

We're currently in that usual post-prerelease lull. Ugh.

It's in times like this I like to kind of spark us by asking something like "What are your favorite cards". So with that in mind, I'd like to do a list like that, but slightly different. Let's talk about what are most hated cards are and why. Make it cards you hate seeing, or cards that betrayed your trust in some way. I'd propose we do one per color, including a section for a gold card, an artifact and a land.

Black:
Image.ashx

My buddy has a zombie deck that, when I started playing again, used to wreck the absolute hell out of my face. And this guy is a big reason why. You can't do much about it at all if you get into a long game and aren't playing Stifle effects.As a returning player who didn't know Stifle existed, you can imagine my frustration.

For funsies I have a all-creatures Zombie deck I've been tweaking for years, just picking cool new Zombies and throwing them on when new sets come out. Gempalm is pretty much the only direct damage I have and it's GLORIOUS.

Ozigizo

Gods be damned I forgot Angel's Grace again, thanks for reminding me. Even outside of infinite combos it's important for my Sunforger toolbox. I prioritize sudden shock because a friend of mine plays abzan infinite sac. Angel's Grace would just buy me an upkeep.
Also it has Angel in it and that alone is a huge plus. I'm down to just 25 angels though and only 3 of them boros coloured.

Then I would recommend http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193660

That with Mark of Asylum and/or Purity are great.

Then I would recommend http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193660

That with Mark of Asylum and/or Purity are great.
Already have her as a hoser. My favourite usage so far was to wild ricochet a chord of calling and fetching her to shut down a deadeye navigator loop.
She got bounced though.

I have pretty much all the powerful angels it's just down to finding room for them.
I just cut Anya from the last commander product. Now debating whether I should put in the new Gisela or Baneslayer. I switched defy death with Bruna since she's uncounterable.

I can post my list again later I went through it today and added all my changes to decks tats.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I wonder if these will be as hard to get your hands on as previous years'. Sadly, I don't have a friend down at SDCC willing to wait in line to get me one of these, so I am fending for myself. I assume there's no word on when the surplus might get sold on Hasbro.com?

I have all three of the black-on-black ones, so I definitely want to get my hands on this too.

Ozigizo

I wonder if these will be as hard to get your hands on as previous years'. Sadly, I don't have a friend down at SDCC willing to wait in line to get me one of these, so I am fending for myself. I assume there's no word on when the surplus might get sold on Hasbro.com?

I have all three of the black-on-black ones, so I definitely want to get my hands on this too.

Yes, they will be hard to get again. They might be more since you can actually read them this time around.

I think Liliana being normal more clearly tells a story than her also being a zombie. The process for me looking at the promos was, "It looks like we'll just be getting alternate art planeswalkers. I guess they aren't doing the black prints anymore. And Gideon is--oh! I get it!" Meanwhile, if Liliana was also a zombie, it would be, "And everyone is a zombie for some reason. Did Walking Dead get a resurgence in popularity recently?"

This is my Avacyn EDH deck updated bar the lands of course, newest addition there being Hanweir Battlements as another haste land. I have to be careful with the colourless lands though since I'm nearing saturation and have to sometimes mull hands because of lack of coloured sources. The card back is the new Bruna

Can Wizards do anything right? The answer is clear.

The newest chandra and avacyn

I think Liliana being normal more clearly tells a story than her also being a zombie. The process for me looking at the promos was, "It looks like we'll just be getting alternate art planeswalkers. I guess they aren't doing the black prints anymore. And Gideon is--oh! I get it!" Meanwhile, if Liliana was also a zombie, it would be, "And everyone is a zombie for some reason. Did Walking Dead get a resurgence in popularity recently?"

How wouldn't that work with her as a Lich? It still tells the same story essentially as Lich often raise an army of dead.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I'll be the dissenting opinion and say the SDCC promos look like shit.

I agree. The idea's cute, but I'm not fond on the execution. Too static, and the generic smoky-grey background makes them feel rushed. I prefer the mono-black PWs from prior Comic-cons.

OnPoint

You hate the cycling zombie because you don't play decks that have good removal? Good removal makes that card horrible.
You're missing the context. If someone is playing a recursive zombie deck that negates your so-so removal AND you haven't played Magic in 15 years, with shitty cards to boot? Yes. I hate that card for how hard it was to deal with when I came across it. Nowadays it wouldn't be as much of an issue for me. I'm better and build better decks.

OnPoint

Also I like what they did with the zombie walkers. I like the little flavorful touches (Jace eating a brain, Chandra all charred, etc). I don't want them much, but I like em.

Reven

For some reason I've decided to get back into Magic. I played a little bit when I was younger with friends but didn't truly understand the game.

I went and picked up a SOI deck builders kit yesterday and built a nice black/blue deck with it.

By the way, charlequin, when are we moving to Community?

Next week.

Funny how much gaf already hates this set when pros seems to be pretty high on it.

One of the things that isn't unique to this thread but is certainly a factor here is that enthusiast fan groups get really invested in stuff most people don't care about. People are down on it because they're sick of Bant in Standard (since they're tapped in enough to be aware of the problem but not enough to know whatever tech the pros are already testing), or because of relatively inside-baseball stuff about the details of the design or presence of Eldrazi or whatever.

This and a couple earlier things actually brought up a point I'd been meaning to ask about: are there any second/third sets people in here actually like? Future Sight, I guess, maybe, but that's a long time ago and a very special case. I'm curious to hear whether anyone has an example of a small set they're really enthusiastic about.

kirblar

EDM is just kinda boring.

Oath was great. Worldwake was great (despite the elephants in the room) and salvaged Zendikar draft.

Toxi

Banned
This and a couple earlier things actually brought up a point I'd been meaning to ask about: are there any second/third sets people in here actually like? Future Sight, I guess, maybe, but that's a long time ago and a very special case. I'm curious to hear whether anyone has an example of a small set they're really enthusiastic about.
Guildpact and Dissension.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Journey into Nyx was better than Born of the Gods. Dunno if that makes it good though.

Mirrodin Beseiged and New Phyrexia were pretty good concluding sets.

Dragons of Tarkir was disappointing mainly because the whole Fate Reforged thing replaced all the interesting cultures with bland dragon worship and it was hard to get excited.

Wasnt Rise of the Eldrazi one of the best draft sets? I dunno, I didnt play during it.

Hero

Next week.

One of the things that isn't unique to this thread but is certainly a factor here is that enthusiast fan groups get really invested in stuff most people don't care about. People are down on it because they're sick of Bant in Standard (since they're tapped in enough to be aware of the problem but not enough to know whatever tech the pros are already testing), or because of relatively inside-baseball stuff about the details of the design or presence of Eldrazi or whatever.

Invasion was one of the best third sets ever. Probably the best.

yeah even doing wacky deck against wacky decks I'm not having fun in beta standard right now.

I liked the whole Onslaught block, Dark Steel was ok for a kid and Oath is fantastic. They can do 2nd sets right EMN just wasn't one of them.

Ashodin

EDM is just kinda boring.

Oath was great. Worldwake was great (despite the elephants in the room) and salvaged Zendikar draft.

I think it took the wind out of it when we learned Kaladesh is supposedly the most amazing block since Innistrad

Also anyone notice the trend of introduction plane sets being amazing?

Mirrodin, Innistrad, Zendikar, Kaladesh...

Toxi

Banned
Can't believe I forgot about New Phyrexia. Somehow the third small set ended up my favorite set of Scars of Mirrodin block.

Yeef

From a limited standpoint:

I liked Oath of the Gatewatch a lot and I'm enjoying Eldritch moon a lot so far.

Gatecrash was fun for a week or two before everyone realized that just going aggro was the right way to go. Still, occasionally, enough people were fighting over the aggro pieces that you could make a solid Orzhov deck. Dragons of Tarkir was a fine format on it's own merits, but in the context of the block, it just felt like a watered-down version of triple khans.

As far as constructed goes, almost every set has a few cool cards. Obviously some more than others. Gatecrash, Avacyn Restored, New Phyrexia, Oath of the Gatewatch, Dragon's Maze and Dragons of Tarkir all had some cool designs, even if they weren't competitive or valuable.

OnPoint

Planeshift
Apocalypse
Mirrodin Besieged
Rise of the Eldrazi
New Phyrexia
Avacyn Restored (as a set, not limited)
Oath

That's about it for me.

bigkrev

Next week.

Weatherlight is my favorite set aesthetics-wise
I like Prophecy because I'm weird and it's a really weird set
Apocalypse
New Phyrexia

I don't usually like small sets unless they do some whacky stuff

OnPoint

I'm thinking about going to the upcoming August SCG Open in Syracuse, and I'm thinking I might play Modern. Any thoughts on good metagame calls or stuff that might be under the radar good?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm thinking about going to the upcoming August SCG Open in Syracuse, and I'm thinking I might play Modern. Any thoughts on good metagame calls or stuff that might be under the radar good?

I'm pretty sure Mindbender, Decimator and the flash Eldrazi are gonna break Temple.

I just lost with emrakul because of Thalia a 13/13 tapped creature doesn't make for a good blocker and doesn't even allow one to run a creature into her but I got to make a cute play by bouncing my emrakul with his reflection mage.

I'm pretty sure that Bant Eldrazi is going to go ham with the new Emerge Eldrazi, probably going Matter Reshaper over the Skyspawners and some new mix of top end threats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom