• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Speaking of Thalia, her and Odric work real gud in my new version of MARSHAL JUSTICE

SVmKH5M.gif

Always Watching + Stitcher's Graft = broken as fuck

I'm back to grixis again and it feels like I can do things again. Probably because I run 3 Sinister Concoction, 4 fiery temper, 1 incendiary flow, 1 avacyn's judgment, 2 murder, 2 ruinous path, 2 kolaghan's command, 1 Oath of Liliana, Liliana, Languish, Ob Nixilis and 2 Chandra. The only cards that neither destroys nor draw is Kalitas, Emra2l and Pick the Brain (Jace and GDD can do both).

My sideboard has 2 whispers of emrakul I've had moderate success with but transgress is probably better 9/10 times.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'll be the dissenting opinion and say the SDCC promos look like shit.

I think a lot of people have said they look pretty bad. I think they're pretty bad. Having nothing in the background makes them look lame.

Okay, from small sets it seems like there's a couple popular choices: Apocalypse, New Phyrexia, maybe Guildpact (Dissention was widely seen as a disappointment at the time), Oath of the Gatewatch, and the aforementioned Future Sight. Not a great hit ratio overall it seems like, compared to how many big sets are beloved.

I think a lot of people have said they look pretty bad. I think they're pretty bad.

I mean it's Magic, how $20 bills are folded etc. etc. but the overall response is much more positive than I would have expected. For me, I actually think they're very well executed and the way they each mirror their gimmick is pretty cute, I just hate zombies.

jph139

The ZombieWalkers are okay, I guess, but the very fact that they're not the fancy all-black type makes them a huge disappointment.

Best looking cards in the history of Magic.

y2dvd

In what ways are they pretty high on it that GAF isnt?
They are more optimistic in a shake up in standard. I'm sure we're all still thinking Bant and Tokens will still dominate, but just look at the prior page alone to see the hate for this set haha.

wait 2 to 3 weeks, maybe nothing changes.
I still think that's such a short amount of time for people to have such a strong impression of the entire set already. Not denying that the top 2 decks can stay on top, but I'll take a wait and see approach. Hopefully, we'll have some nice new brews putting up results.

One of the things that isn't unique to this thread but is certainly a factor here is that enthusiast fan groups get really invested in stuff most people don't care about. People are down on it because they're sick of Bant in Standard (since they're tapped in enough to be aware of the problem but not enough to know whatever tech the pros are already testing), or because of relatively inside-baseball stuff about the details of the design or presence of Eldrazi or whatever.

This and a couple earlier things actually brought up a point I'd been meaning to ask about: are there any second/third sets people in here actually like? Future Sight, I guess, maybe, but that's a long time ago and a very special case. I'm curious to hear whether anyone has an example of a small set they're really enthusiastic about.
Totally agree with the first point. As far as 2nd/3rd sets, it doesn't seem to be a popular answer but I liked Born of the God's and Journey into Nyx. There was an epicness with all of the gods.

How do you guys sort/organise your collection? Any particular products people recommend?

I use a Holiday Gift Box and a Deck Builder's Toolkit. The new prerelease boxes have also been great for handling overflow.

But if you don't want an influx of cards in addition to your card holder, you can just use mail package.

They are more optimistic in a shake up in standard. I'm sure we're all still thinking Bant and Tokens will still dominate, but just look at the prior page alone to see the hate for this set haha.

Yeah, I mean people could certainly be wrong, but remember that any serious pro is already testing secret tech for the PT at this point and has way more information about the coming metagame than we (or really even R&D) do.

Totally agree with the first point. As far as 2nd/3rd sets, it doesn't seem to be a popular answer but I liked Born of the God's and Journey into Nyx. There was an epicness with all of the gods.

Oh man. Born of the Gods would be a strong candidate for worst second set ever for me.

OnPoint

Whoever mentioned Weatherlight above... I should have added that to my list as well. I loved that set.

Yeah, I mean people could certainly be wrong, but remember that any serious pro is already testing secret tech for the PT at this point and has way more information about the coming metagame than we (or really even R&D) do.

Oh man. Born of the Gods would be a strong candidate for worst second set ever for me.
1. I hope the pros are right.

2. Mine would probably be Prophecy. Such an underwhelming pile.

I was excited to go 4-0 at a prerelease, since I've never been undefeated before. Usually I lose a match-up or two. Getting 10 prize packs sure felt nice :)

I played a blue/white deck, with a teeny bit of spirit synergy, but mostly it was just regular flyers with tempo and permission spells. The salt was real when my opponent cast Ruthless Disposal but I had Turn Aside ready.
en_gacxRcAdBo.png
en_2ThlOdmgEK.png

That ended the match in short order, since I had already strapped that kinda sucky +3/+1 equipment to a flyer. He complained that "nobody should maindeck counterspells". I actually played a few, since I had a lot of creatures with flash.

I also did a 2-headed event where both me and my teammate got super lucky and opened amazing value: he got both a regular and foil Liliana, and I pulled a date-stamped foil Gisela.
en_4usTO0sVHL.png

Question on Gisela for the MTG finance people: should I sell foil Gisela now or later? I don't care about the foiling at all, so I figure I'll cash her out for a regular copy and keep the difference. Do you think she'll increase in value over time?

Born is the worst set, in that it's two mechanics are literally trash. Tribute just doesn't work, because you will always have the worst option picked for you. And inspired is literally trash, because it requires creatures to survive 2 upkeeps and untap, and even then half of them require Mana to even get anything.

Joe Molotov

Born is the worst set, in that it's two mechanics are literally trash. Tribute just doesn't work, because you will always have the worst option picked for you. And inspired is literally trash, because it requires creatures to survive 2 upkeeps and untap, and even then half of them require Mana to even get anything.

I honestly forgot Inspired was even a thing. At least there was one playable Tribute card (Fanatic of Xenagos).

That ended the match in short order, since I had already strapped that kinda sucky +3/+1 equipment to a flyer. He complained that "nobody should maindeck counterspells". I actually played a few, since I had a lot of creatures with flash.

Salt based on losing to a card they think is bad is the best salt.

I honestly forgot Inspired was even a thing. At least there was one playable Tribute card (Fanatic of Xenagos).
Fanatic at least worked, because it's either a 3/3 with Haste/Trample that does one more damage when it swings or a 4/4 Trampler for 3. That's still great value. Compare that to Oracle of Bones, which is probably the second best tribute card, and even then there's still a huge difference between the two.

And Inspired has Sphinx's Disciple, a 5 Mana Flying 2/2 that draws a card whenever it untaps.

Schryver

My friends and I are getting a box of EMN but there's only gonna be 4 of us most likely. We wanna do some kind of tournament to see who gets the Thalia promo but not sure the best way to go about it. Could do a 9 pack sealed bracket but that seems kinda lame. I was thinking 9 packs but you have to make 2 separate decks and switch to your 2nd one after losing(?) a game. I would like to try limited (never done it before) but with 4 people it would be awful I assume. Will sealed with EMN be worse without any SOI packs? Not sure they would wanna get any of those but I could get 1 for each of us at least

Yeef

My friends and I are getting a box of EMN but there's only gonna be 4 of us most likely. We wanna do some kind of tournament to see who gets the Thalia promo but not sure the best way to go about it. Could do a 9 pack sealed bracket but that seems kinda lame. I was thinking 9 packs but you have to make 2 separate decks and switch to your 2nd one after losing(?) a game. I would like to try limited (never done it before) but with 4 people it would be awful I assume. Will sealed with EMN be worse without any SOI packs? Not sure they would wanna get any of those but I could get 1 for each of us at least
You could do a league. Each player starts with a 6 pack sealed pool, then after x amount of time/matches everyone adds a pack to their pool. Repeat until each player has played with their 9. Tall the scores and see who comes out on top.

Haines

Banned

EMN without soi would be pretty bad.

I am looking forward to drafting the set Friday. Unlike what I've seen in here I think highly of it. It doesn't feel gimmicky. Just straight up good card game nonsense.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Okay, from small sets it seems like there's a couple popular choices: Apocalypse, New Phyrexia, maybe Guildpact (Dissention was widely seen as a disappointment at the time), Oath of the Gatewatch, and the aforementioned Future Sight. Not a great hit ratio overall it seems like, compared to how many big sets are beloved.

I mean it's Magic, how $20 bills are folded etc. etc. but the overall response is much more positive than I would have expected. For me, I actually think they're very well executed and the way they each mirror their gimmick is pretty cute, I just hate zombies.

Still missing Rise no?

Toxi

Banned
I fucking loved Guildpact and Dissension when they came out. So did my friends. Getting the other guilds was so cool. Gold cards everywhere was so cool.

Granted, we also enjoyed Betrayers of Kamigawa just because Ninjas were fun, so we probably weren't the best judge.

2. Mine would probably be Prophecy. Such an underwhelming pile.
Prophecy has good claim to being the worst set ever.
It's funny, because everyone knew Tribute was gonna suck as soon as it was revealed because punisher mechanics always suck, and yet you had people going "No, this time it will be different! You'll see!"

Ozigizo

Ah, good. MODO quickly reminded me why I don't use it. I can't sign in after getting through an Alara draft, and I guess it dropped me round 1.

Edit: Lol, maintenance. Yeah, I'm good.

I had an incredible Grixis deck. I had the pick of everything blue and black.

I fucking loved Guildpact and Dissension when they came out. So did my friends. Getting the other guilds was so cool. Gold cards everywhere was so cool.

I mean, obviously the block is great, but at the time a lot of people were unhappy about Azorius being terrible for normal white-blue gameplay and Rakdos not being constructed viable, both of which were pretty fair critiques of it relative to the previous two sets.

Prophecy has good claim to being the worst set ever.

It does have a claim, but sadly it can't cash it in because Saviors exists.

Since when is Betrayers a bad set? Saviors was the bad set.

Betrayers isn't terrible the way Saviors is, but it is a step down from CHK.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It does have a claim, but sadly it can't cash it in because Saviors exists

Saviors has a cycle of four cards that have you return lands to your hand

Prophecy has 53 cards with "Land" in their rules text and almost every single one asks you to discard lands, sacrifice lands, or punishes you for having untapped lands

Opening a pack of Saviors is disappointing. Opening a pack of Prophecy is anger inducing

"Oh I wonder what my rare is"
Image.ashx

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Prophecy has 53 cards with "Land" in their rules text and almost every single one asks you to discard lands, sacrifice lands, or punishes you for having untapped lands

Opening a pack of Saviors is disappointing. Opening a pack of Prophecy is anger inducing

"Oh I wonder what my rare is"
Image.ashx

Yup aint even a contest. Prophecy is garbage.

Toxi

Banned
Saviors had the Maro cycle, Pithing Needle, Promise of Bunrei, Kataki War's Wage, Eternal Dominion and Enduring Ideal, etc. It wasn't a total wasteland of interesting or good cards like Prophecy, and a hand size matters mechanic at least isn't as gut-wrenchingly awful as "your lands suck".
You think they will ever do another Time Spiral like block?
The closest they'll come are the return to X plane blocks. Time Spiral wasn't successful and Wizards has repeatedly emphasized that it wasn't successful.

bigkrev

This is where I will mount my defense of Prophecy as an interesting set!

I thought the Tapout mechanics on most of the constructed playable cards like Chimeric Idol or Slit Crawler not only played well with the Rystic mechanic in the set (that made spells either work worse or not work at all if your opponent had extra mana to spend), but with the Free spell mechanics that were in MM/Nemesis. As someone who is a lover of land death, this set is a basically paradise. A lot of the stuff in this set doesn't work anymore now that Mana Burn isn't a thing, but Citadel of Pain was one of my favorite cards ever at the time it was printed, I'm a huge fan of Veteran Brawlers, and I wish they brought that mechanic back at some point.

Also, this was the first set where you can look at the spoiler, and easily identify the 15 Mythics across the 3 cycles. Some are unexciting (most of the winds and Avatars), but the 5 Spellshapers are still cool cards to this day, and back then when creatures were significantly worse, they were even better. The presence of them ALONE makes Prophecy a more worthwhile set than Born of the Gods, a set that's only identity is that Courser of Kruphex was there and made watching Magic significantly less fun for it's entire standard lifespan.

y2dvd

How do you guys sort/organise your collection? Any particular products people recommend?
For storage, as far as my rare and played uncommons go, I have a 4x4 binder similar to the pics some of yall posted. The 1st half is standard stuff sorted by color. I don't really bother with separating by sets as the sleeve holders I have aren't moveable and shifting would take forever after each set. The 2nd half is dedicated to modern/edh/eternal stuff sorted in the same fashion. I also have a separate 2x2 binder decicated to the valuable stuff. Makes it easier to make big trades. Those aren't sorted at all atm though haha. Bulks goes all in some spare fat pack. Commons and uncommons are sorted by color in a cardboard box dedicated by set.

Haha yeah not saying JOU was my favorite but just wanted to pick an unpopular opinion. XD
I would personally pick New Phyrexian as it was the first set to make me take notice and play mtg as a regular hobby.

Firemind

Saviors had the Maro cycle, Pithing Needle, Promise of Bunrei, Kataki War's Wage, Eternal Dominion and Enduring Ideal, etc. It wasn't a total wasteland of interesting or good cards like Prophecy, and a hand size matters mechanic at least isn't as gut-wrenchingly awful as "your lands suck".

The closest they'll come are the return to X plane blocks. Time Spiral wasn't successful and Wizards has repeatedly emphasized that it wasn't successful.
Really now? It did came after Ravnica, but I thought Time Spiral was a pretty creative block with Suspend and the birth of the Two-Headed Giant format. Certainly beats Kamigawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom