• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
Bring back fortifications!

Image.ashx
Why do people like this card again? It's an overly complex and expensive way of doing a pretty lame thing.

And with how rare land destruction is, the difference between it and an Aura is marginal.

Why do people like this card again? It's an overly complex way of doing a pretty lame thing.
No one likes that card or should the idea is neat though. Walls as creatures were a mistake after all. Walls, fortresses, towers,... as land equipments would be interesting.

The idea of being able to rebuild structures even if the land got destroyed.

What about that was karma? He had one draw to find a specific card finding a specific card in 6 cards.
Opponent had casually 11 mana. He needed to dig for a spell queller instead of firing up the lumbering falls.

CoCo player playing very loose. Didn't like playing the advocate there, lumbering falls being a 5/5 was fine and he could have played the advocate post combat if he desperately wanted to.

This game. Someone end standard now.
Surprised to see so little selfless spirit in CoCo. It's a flyer and protects from removal.

It doesn't really protect from removal. The two best removal spells(Languish and Declaration) it does Jack for. I mean, it stops Dromoka's Command but I'd still hesitate to call D's Command a strict removal spell.

Ashodin

This game. Someone end standard now.
Surprised to see so little selfless spirit in CoCo. It's a flyer and protects from removal.

omg I went out to test the box mythic theory and this match is STILL GOING? fuck Bant company

Also on the theory:

I bought one of each pack, all rares.

What was interesting was all the werewolf packs in the box were gone except one. So someone else knows about the theory and bought them all.

It doesn't really protect from removal. The two best removal spells(Languish and Declaration) it does Jack for. I mean, it stops Dromoka's Command but I'd still hesitate to call D's Command a strict removal spell.

There's murder and ultimate price, K and DCommand, there some burn spells and radiant flames, Ob Nixilis, Chandra and Sorin, heck there's Avacyn.
They do side and sometimes mainboard Avacyn but contrary to her you can coco into Selfless Spirit. It also increases the chances to hit with coco vs removal spells by making SQ and Selfless Spirit answers to them.

Not to mention being able to block gryff's boon.

Doesnt stop Declaration, Grasp, Languish, Arrogance (or Descend but I have no idea if that will be a thing).
See the above. Bant company usually plays a low amount of DiS but the full playset of DCommands. Selfless spirits would generally be amazing in the mirror since it flies over and makes combat a pain for the other.

duxstar

Tell me that standard isn't as bleak as I've seen it all day, Bant Company, Spirits and Humans ..... is there anything else ?

Tell me that standard isn't as bleak as I've seen it all day, Bant Company, Spirits and Humans ..... is there anything else ?

Not if you like winning. Ishkanah is good against the bant decks but that's one card. Bant company has the best tempo game and the best card advantage game in standard. Reflector Mage and Spell Queller deal with 90% of the cards that see play and the deck functions at instant speed and low mana costs.

zeemumu

Went out and bought an Eldritch Moon pack. I was hoping for something to add to my spirit deck. I can probably do something with the Ulvenwald Captive if I ever make a werewolf deck though.

y2dvd

I really expected to see more Emerge cards, maybe even the G/U Emerge lists. Where did all the Elder Deep-Fried hype go?

CoCo and Reflector Mage is unfortunately still a thing. Try to target their lands for tempo? Nah just CoCo. If they sac for emerge and you Ref Mage, you practically 3 for 1 them.

Schryver

I went to my first ever draft last night. Shop owner wanted to do 3 EMN packs so that's what we did. Ended up with a UW spirit/human deck and went 3-0-1 to tie for first. Won 5 packs and opened a Mausoleum Wanderer and Tree of Perdition so I was pretty satisfied. Definitely interested in trying a spirit deck out after last night and seeing the UW Spirits deck tech from SCG

So disappointing how little madness there actually is, fiery temper outclasses every single new madness card alone.
Messing around with a jund list and because I had to cut jace I put in more sinister concoctions but at a 4:4 ration with they are just bad and not sure fiery temper is good enough to be played w/o enough discard outlets.

Eldritch Moon is still new, but a barrage of previews and Releases is already in the near future:
  • From the Vault: Lore will Release on August 19. Recent FTV sets have revealed their full card lists 11 Days before Release, so we will likely learn the full card list on August 8, with some previews before that over the course of the next two weeks and potentially starting very soon.
  • Conspiracy: Take the Crown will Release on August 26. It will have one preview week, probably from August 15 to August 19.
  • Duel Decks: Nissa vs Ob Nixilis will Release on September 2. Like with FTV sets, recent Duel Decks have revealed their card lists 11 Days before Release, so we will likely learn its card list on August 22.
  • Kaladesh will Release on September 30, with its prerelease starting on September 24. This means we should get the full card list on September 16, with its three weeks of previews beginning on August 29. (Edit: Or rather, with its two main weeks of previews beginning on September 5, and some number of early previews before that.)

Looking at this all in one place, it seems... aggressive.

duxstar

Now our hopes are on the pro tour to bring us something new ?? Like predicted G/W tokens was nowhere to be seen, Gisela cant hold at 35 if shes not seen in any decks

Now our hopes are on the pro tour to bring us something new ?? Like predicted G/W tokens was nowhere to be seen, Gisela cant hold at 35 if shes not seen in any decks

I imagine we'll follow the same pattern as PT SOI where everything was Bant heading into the PT, we saw a nice variety of decks trying to meta around it, then everything went back to being GW/Bant again.

Ashodin

Looking at this all in one place, it seems... aggressive.

It's very aggressive, and then you realize they have a second product announcement date later in the year for the spring releases... They've ramped up hard.

Also, Madness was absolute booty this time around. They did fuck all with it because they were scared it would be amazing like Odyssey.

For a plane that was supposed to crib Odyssey mechanics, it sure fucked everything up except Flashback (hard to fuck that up).

We played Planechase for the first time today and it was really pretty fun.
I have this Planechase app on my phone, that I was then able to screen cast on to my smart TV so while we played in the living room we had the Planechase cards on the big screen all nice and pretty.

We played some Legacy games with it and also some Duel Commander games. Really interesting twists!

I got to play my 4C Loam deck for the first time and it was really fun with a lot of synergy. That Punishing Fire does a lot of work!

We played Planechase for the first time today and it was really pretty fun.
I have this Planechase app on my phone, that I was then able to screen cast on to my smart TV so while we played in the living room we had the Planechase cards on the big screen all nice and pretty.

We played some Legacy games with it and also some Duel Commander games. Really interesting twists!

I got to play my 4C Loam deck for the first time and it was really fun with a lot of synergy. That Punishing Fire does a lot of work!

That sounds awesome, I love playing Planechase but it comes with some serious caveats because of the amount of space it occupies.

Also, Madness was absolute booty this time around. They did fuck all with it because they were scared it would be amazing like Odyssey.

For a plane that was supposed to crib Odyssey mechanics, it sure fucked everything up except Flashback (hard to fuck that up).

I've tried nearly every on paper playable madness spell. I'm playing 4 fiery temper and 1 avacyn's judgement in the end. The creatures just don't have aggressive madness costs nor can compete with constructed staples.

Should be interesting to see where the BGx delirium decks go. Ishkanah is the best card against company right now that I can see but it's inherently pretty inconsistent. Also, I have most of the cards already so I'd rather play that than skip this season.

I haven't even been testing much, just cube drafting the last couple weeks. Format is pretty shallow compared to how spoiled we've been since Khans dropped. This format might look more like THS standard.

It's very aggressive, and then you realize they have a second product announcement date later in the year for the spring releases... They've ramped up hard.

This release schedule would basically put their annual output at:

January - Small Set
February - Duel Decks
April - Large Set
June - Masters Set
July - Small Set
August - Multiplayer Set, FTV
September - Duel Decks
October - Large Set
November - Commander

Is that about right? Ten products in a year, six booster releases (four expert expansions, a tourney-oriented reprint set, and a multiplayer set), a dedicated Commander set, two Duel Decks, and (lol) FTV.

I suspect they're right that these two types of supplemental products don't actually cannibalize each other much (I know I'll be getting Conspiracy but didn't buy a single pack of Eternal Masters) but it definitely gums up the promotional calendar a bit.

Ashodin

This release schedule would basically put their annual output at:

January - Small Set
February - Duel Decks
April - Large Set
June - Masters Set
July - Small Set
August - Multiplayer Set, FTV
September - Duel Decks
October - Large Set
November - Commander

Is that about right? Ten products in a year, six booster releases (four expert expansions, a tourney-oriented reprint set, and a multiplayer set), a dedicated Commander set, two Duel Decks, and (lol) FTV.

I suspect they're right that these two types of supplemental products don't actually cannibalize each other much (I know I'll be getting Conspiracy but didn't buy a single pack of Eternal Masters) but it definitely gums up the promotional calendar a bit.
It helps when both sets are aimed at different things (Eternal for Legacy players/Commander, and Conspiracy for Drafters/Commander) too. Though Commander can have ANYTHING it wants lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I liked G/W Tokens more than Company so its a shame that was the deck that got shuttered by the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom