• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I'm going for right now with grixis atm I'm fairly certain I should cut blue at this point.

MsmnUpB.png
not sure what 2 drop to play in its place though. I suppose heir to falkenrath would work.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Played around a bit more with Spirits.

I'm unsure on Unsubstantiate. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I want Clash of Wills instead but it just doesn't feel optimal. I think I should test Unsubstantiate again or perhaps do a split between Clash and Unsubstantiate. Anyone got opinions on that? Nebelgast is the real deal and upped to four. Two Sanctum of Ugin to add some more potential to win pretty much out-right by chaining Deep-fiends. Mizzium Meddler feels like a card people have forgotten; I like siding it in in place of Reflector Mage against controlling / non-creature strategies. Gives the deck a little more resilience while still casting creatures. Summary Dismissal in the side for if Emerge / Deep-fiend takes off in any way. Will be taken out if it turns out I'm way overestimating the power of Emerge.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210865053]Tamiyo is a lot better than I gave her credit for. Plussing on her opponent's creatures is super annoying.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Like I was saying, the only thing that will stop her from seeing play is her color requirements. Especially after rotation in the fall.

Daedardus

Been a bit inactive for a while, with work and stuff. Have to say my Flip N Tray deck box arrived and it's pretty cool. Well made, nice looking. The only disappointing thing is that it looks bigger than I expected, as my hands are a bit too small to hold it comfortably. Does it's job wel though, money well spent.

Also almost completed my Nahiri Jeskai deck. Only need another Snapcaster (sigh, so expensive) and Scalding Tarns but I will wait till it gets reprinted. Also want to buy Celestial Collonade, but the art is so shitty, I hope they bring the manlands back in MM17 with new art, so I will hold out for that.

Ashodin

Yep. Like I was saying, the only thing that will stop her from seeing play is her color requirements. Especially after rotation in the fall.

? Enemy color lands would give you U/G in her cost, and then should be easy street from there.

yeah I'm thinking GW tokens is done too, Thalia wrecks the holy shit out of that deck.

? Enemy color lands would give you U/G in her cost, and then should be easy street from there.

yeah I'm thinking GW tokens is done too, Thalia wrecks the holy shit out of that deck.

It's if there is anything powerful left to do in Bant, really. Company leaving only leaves us with a bunch of mid range with no cohesive plan. If there's a Bant creature deck in the fall, Tamiyo will be in it. Don't know if there will be, though.

Ashodin

It's if there is anything powerful left to do in Bant, really. Company leaving only leaves us with a bunch of mid range with no cohesive plan. If there's a Bant creature deck in the fall, Tamiyo will be in it. Don't know if there will be, though.

oh yeah after coco rotates it's gonna be a hot mess

Also today's Legendrule: Linara, Cylian Heretic!

127.jpg
->
0r5TSwn.png

I wanted to do two things with this card: First, tell a story. Linara is seeking strength for everyone in the Nayan jungles. This brands her as a heretic, as the strong should always be more powerful than the weak. Second, I wanted to actually make her card work with all the Naya stuff that does "power 5 or greater". Once the creatures get big, you can use them to interact with the existing stuff.

Then she makes bears.

edit: grr wording is wrong. need to fix.

edit2: fixed

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxGsWSaJ9Y0

Haines

Banned
Draft TMRW.

Should be good times. This set looks great to draft.
And soi pack when you already know what colors you are in is best soi.

Kind of wish our store randomized the draft seats. Does your guys do that?

Draft TMRW.

Should be good times. This set looks great to draft.
And soi pack when you already know what colors you are in is best soi.

Kind of wish our store randomized the draft seats. Does your guys do that?

Mine does that, I think. I've never sat next to the same person twice. How can you tell?

zethren

Banned
Anyone who drafted last night, how'd ya do??
Anything crazy happen?

I'll be going to FNM with a Delirium deck tonight and possibly drafting as well. Pretty stoked haha

I haven't played Tron, but I've played against it. General guideline I've seen: if you don't have 2/3rds of Tron in opener with a way to get the third+Payoff, ship the hand.

It seems like Everytime I play against Tron it's always less a matter of "if" and more a matter of"when" regarding full on Tron. I run 4 maindeck GQ,4 Maindeck Arbiters, 2 Mindcensors, and numerous other cards that should shut Tron down and i still feel like the matchup is a 30-70 in their favor. The prospect of Tron potentially adding in Emra2l now is scary to me.

Lucario

It's kind of hilarious that you can play 14-18 creature delirium decks with a decent curve, and still have your entire board immune to languish much of the time.

Sylvan Advocate, Mindwrack Demon, Ishkanah, all have 5 toughness. Gitrog Monster has 6, and Nissa flips. Distended Mindbender is also immune if that's your gameplan. Spider tokens and defensive 2/3 drops are all you'll ever lose to it.

It's also worth noting that the current Seasons Past decks can achieve delirium very quickly, although you can't keep doing the Dark Petition engine if you want to get Ishkanah back with Seasons Past.

Okay, I wasn't smart enough to screencap it at home before switching systems, but when it went live this morning, Sam Stoddard's article included a section in the comments on Choking Restraints about how it would let players "turn off vehicles" in Casual Constructed.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, I wasn't smart enough to screencap it at home before switching systems, but when it went live this morning, Sam Stoddard's article included a section in the comments on Choking Restraints about how it would let players "turn off vehicles" in Casual Constructed.

Its not contraptions but I'll take it

Now I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because there isn't a thread about this on Reddit or any results on Twitter and I can't get to the system where I had the original version open to get a screenshot. Maybe I'm getting the dementia.

Also: WotC has a terrible new social media policy, if anyone was wondering exactly how terrible their lawyers are.

kirblar

What social media policy?
They have to hashtag all Wizards related posts.

Looking at the policy, the FTC rules are about explicitly talking stuff up, not about generic mundane shit, but their lawyers are making them do it for everything because they don't trust people to make their own judgment.

Announcement for the social media hashtags.

The M Files: Eldritch Moon part 1 - notably includes, besides charlequin's disappearing comment:
* Ironclad Slayer originally self-milled before returning the Aura or Equipment, but it was decided that white was getting too many color pie bends in this set as is.
* Thalia's Lancers originally cost (2) less if you controlled a legendary permanent (it didn't have the tutoring ability), but it got changed once Thalia was moved to 3 mana since reducing the cost became less appealing.
* Bruna and Gisela were originally white/blue and red/white respectively. They went through a lot of other changes.
* Fogwalker is an experiment to see if players can understand freeze effects that don't first tap the permanent. If it doesn't work out, they won't do it anymore.
* Murder might be reprinted in Kaladesh too.
* Some seem to think there's a problem with black being allowed to do too many things just by paying life. Weird that this is being brought up in relation to card drawing. I'm guessing if MaRo is asked about this, he'll say something along the lines of, "With black getting more cards that self-mill then return a creature card, there's been ongoing discussions on whether it's really right for black to be able to draw cards for life. I'm on the side that it is, but it's good that we can discuss things without taking them for granted just because that's how it always was."

And Eldritch Moon survey.

That's probably the code name for whatever the mechanic is actually called, but yeah, that's something that shouldn't be there

The article just ends at the word Delirium now. I pretty much popped a monocle when I saw it, I'm astonished it got through at least three sets of eyes. They fixed it quick too since apparently no one went and made a reddit thread.

EDIT: putting my two cents now on a mechanic where vehicles are "live" as long as someone controls a specific number of creatures or attaches that number of creatures to the vehicle.

Quick everyone, to the JaceMobile!

Seriously though, how did that make it through?

My guess is that Vehicles are like super up Equipment mixed with Enchantments. Something like:

JaceMobile

Vehicle

Each creature in the JaceMobile gets +0/+2 and has "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, scry 1"

Jump-In 2U (put target creature into this vehicle. All creatures in the vehicle attack and block as one creature. Do this only as a sorcery)

Ashodin

Vehicles definitely seem like the "E" mechanic (if you imagine "E" being "empty", where you need mana to fuel them to move).

I could see that being something they wanted to put into original Mirrodin too, considering a lot of the stuff in those sets could have been vehicles.

Also the idea is intriguing and I can provide examples of what could have been vehicles from all three sets (including Kaladesh).

If you imagine the art in these commissioned when they were still prototyping vehicles, you can see it.

Mirrodin Potential Vehicles:

goblindirigible.jpg
goblinwarwagon.jpg
leveler.jpg
pentavus.jpg

Darksteel Potential Vehicles

arcboundcrusher.jpg
aurioksiegesled.jpg
juggernaut.jpg
sunderingtitan.jpg

Kaladesh Potential Vehicles

6rXVgwY.png
b6eVXoU.png
yrql1wJ.png
42BYqkj.png

These are all just from the Kaladesh intro art. Interesting to note that Scars block has no artifacts that look at all like they're rideable and/or hint at Vehicles in their gameplay text. The only thing close is the mech suit Equipment.

Vehicles definitely seem like the "E" mechanic (if you imagine "E" being "empty", where you need mana to fuel them to move).

This was my original thought as well. The biggest thing about this is -- if this were the case, that'd mean their original plan with Mirrodin was to introduce Equipment and Vehicles in one set, which seems kind of like a lot (especially if there's some type of creature-attaching mechanic here.)

It also doesn't quite solve the core mystery of Mechanic E, i.e. why it's designated with a letter. In the article where this mechanic was first mentioned, it showed that other letters are typically used in R&D either to indicate a card frame or a symbol (mana, tap, etc.) They weren't as custom-frame-happy in Mirrodin block as they are now (the first real set to introduce any since gold cards was Ravnica with hybrid) so I'm not sure this would have really been a "custom frame" type mechanic in 2003, and they rarely introduce new symbols for things they could spell out, so... questions.

Ashodin

This was my original thought as well. The biggest thing about this is -- if this were the case, that'd mean their original plan with Mirrodin was to introduce Equipment and Vehicles in one set, which seems kind of like a lot (especially if there's some type of creature-attaching mechanic here.)

It also doesn't quite solve the core mystery of Mechanic E, i.e. why it's designated with a letter. In the article where this mechanic was first mentioned, it showed that other letters are typically used in R&D either to indicate a card frame or a symbol (mana, tap, etc.) They weren't as custom-frame-happy in Mirrodin block as they are now (the first real set to introduce any since gold cards was Ravnica with hybrid) so I'm not sure this would have really been a "custom frame" type mechanic in 2003, and they rarely introduce new symbols for things they could spell out, so... questions.

That must mean that the Vehicles have entirely new card frames. I'd hazard a guess they're sideways cards already (much like Split cards) and the longform card can have much larger art (as vehicles typically tend to be longways rather than tall).

Here's a mockup:

2qMrZGX.png

Edit I just realize this means that a future mad max expansion might be possible

How does GAF feel about bedlam reveler? I feel like the card is so hard to evaluate.

Great in a late game move. Terrible in multiples.

When evaluating the card I keep thinking "this would be good in a counter burn deck" which is the hallmark of a card that is interesting but probably not constructed playable. If it sees play, it'll be in something like the UR deck that was going around the SCG tour prior to the last pro tour.

That must mean that the Vehicles have entirely new card frames. I'd hazard a guess they're sideways cards already (much like Split cards) and the longform card can have much larger art (as vehicles typically tend to be longways rather than tall).

Here's a mockup:

2qMrZGX.png

Edit I just realize this means that a future mad max expansion might be possible

Return to Dominaria being Mad Max inspired sounds pretty sweet, come to think of it.

kirblar

Great in a late game move. Terrible in multiples.

When evaluating the card I keep thinking "this would be good in a counter burn deck" which is the hallmark of a card that is interesting but probably not constructed playable. If it sees play, it'll be in something like the UR deck that was going around the SCG tour prior to the last pro tour.
It's actually horrible with reactive cards like Snapcaster and counterspells. Something closer to a U/R burn deck is where you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom