• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Imma try that enchantment with my deck. Gideon or Chandra turn three seems gross af

I can run aether hub and three copies of this for sure, maybe even two Canopy Vista

Exciting!

Servant of the Conduit is awesome, especially if you want to play Naya or another three color superfriends deck. Nice redundancy with Oath of Nissa for color fixing.

Jhriad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";226649798]I'm not saying this is Voice of Resurgence, Fleecemane Lion or Dromoka's Command, but WotC definitely likes to push their GW-costing Standard cards.[/QUOTE]

You could probably say that of all Gx combinations except GU. Both Kiora's were largely misses in their respective environments and Bring to Light was a flash in the pan for a momentarily in that garbage 4/5c environment but outside of those I'm drawing a blank on pretty much anything else in that color pair worth noting in Standard recently.

Oath of Ajani with Aviary Mechanic? :)

6.jpg

I don't foresee a major planeswalker dying for some time, honestly.

Why do y'all think they're setting up Ajani's death?

Except the good ones they'll push aside, kill and/or forget so we can have more chandra burning stuff and gideon sighing at her for it.
WotC hates Ajani because as a big cat he isn't relatable.
despite going out of their way to pick the only white cat on Naya.

Oath of Ajani is going straight into Bant Super friends in Modern. Hello Turn 3 Ajani MoH/Elspeth Sun's Champion.

Sequence of
T1: Land, Dork
T2: Land, Dork, Oath
Turn 3: land, Elspeth, Win game.

Ashodin

I don't foresee a major planeswalker dying for some time, honestly.

Why do y'all think they're setting up Ajani's death?

Well the trope is a mentor figure comes and teaches the team of heroes how to be, well, better heroes, then dies after his knowledge is passed on so they can take it to heart.

But here, Ajani is becoming even more popular, so I think he's outgrowing his "omg just a humanoid cat" status that Hasbro seems to hate.

Well the trope is a mentor figure comes and teaches the team of heroes how to be, well, better heroes, then dies after his knowledge is passed on so they can take it to heart.

But here, Ajani is becoming even more popular, so I think he's outgrowing his "omg just a humanoid cat" status that Hasbro seems to hate.

I mean, compared to the rest of the Jacetice League he's the most interesting PW in the mulitverse.

OnPoint

He was "mentor of heroes" in a previous set. That said, I don't think they're setting up for it based solely on that trope and name connection.

Ashodin

I mean, compared to the rest of the Jacetice League he's the most interesting PW in the mulitverse.

I actually don't have a favorite planeswalker (outside of Karn, and maybe Venser). None of them have really resonated with me and don't "grab" me.

I like Gideon because he's white but that's about it.

Jace is OK because mind powers are really REALLY strong if played right.

Chandra can DIAF (lol), Liliana is BDSM queen, and Nissa has turned into shrinking violet weirdness (AHHA GET IT SHES THE GREEN PW, violet, plants, ARE YOU GETING THIS) (totally changed character basically, she morphs into whatever they want at the time)

Ajani is pretty cool, great backstory, Elspeth is the Knight trope given to a woman, which is badass. The other planeswalkers are cool because of their mysterious nature.

But the OG, the literal ONLY planeswalker from Urza's time who's still around and artificially created (twice!) is my metal brotha, KARN

EN_Karn_5_Gallery.jpg

I love Nahiri too, I forgot~! Sorin can die, Ugin is cool, Nicol Bolas can eat a fat one

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
WotC hates Ajani because as a big cat he isn't relatable.

I mean, that might explain why he got demoted out of the "main white planeswalker" spot that Gideon took and went permanently GW, but it doesn't really explain the idea he's on the chopping block.

The PW that are likely to get killed are usually fairly obvious from how they're presented - Elspeth's death was set up a lot more given that she was a tragic hero in a block about Greek Mythology, but there's also the fact that Elspeth probably isn't dead-dead, just mostly-dead. Venser may have been a bit of a curveball, but someone like Xenagos or Domri or Vraska come off as complete throwaway characters that nobody would care if they got snuffed. Ajani doesn't really fit in that group - he has a lot of backstory, and they still create lots of cards around him, e.g. Jazal Goldmane.

Of the existing characters, I'd say the likelihood of them getting killed:

Ajani - Lots of backstory, unique race. Not gonna die.
Arlinn - Reasonably popular
Ashiok - Too interesting to kill off; works behind the scenes.
Bolas - Main Villain.
Chandra - Generic Red Walker/peppy girl with tsundere tendencies. Not getting killed.
Dack - Popular supplemental character
Daretti - Popular supplemental character
Domri - Total filler character, could get killed.
Dovin - Could get killed, he's an annoying miniboss for Tezzeret who doesn't have all that much space to do anything with, plus his card sucks.
Elspeth - She's dead, but coming back.
Freyalise - Permanently Dead.
Garruk - I think they will kill him off whenever they get ready to kill Liliana.
Gideon - I think they really like having Captain America on the squad.
Jace - Poster Boy for Magic.
Karn - He's gotten saved enough times I don't think he'll ever get killed.
Kaya - They're not going to kill Kaya anytime soon because they don't want to invoke the "token black character gets killed" trope.
Kiora - They only have one Merfolk Planeswalker.
Koth - He'll come back, but he strikes me as the kind of PW that's perfect to get killed off when they do bring him back.
Liliana - I think she's the Gatewatch member mostly likely to get offed if and when they get around to killing all of her literal demons.
Nahiri - Interesting villain, I don't think they take her out.
Narset - Barely did anything with her and they already killed her once.
Nissa - They went out of their way to build her up as perfect shy elven waifu. There's no way she ever gets killed.
Nixilis - Generic villain guy, they need a couple of these around, I think.
Ral - Killable, but they'd have to replace his niche as the Izzet spells guy.
Saheeli - Again, I don't think they'd kill Saheeli for PR reasons - introducing a specific minority character only to kill them comes off bad.
Sarkhan - I could see them killing Sarkhan off, actually.
Sorin - It depends how much they want to kill "Brooding Vampire Sephiroth who spends his off-time in a loud club blasting Rob Zombie music while he drinks blood out of a chalice." I don't think they do, even if I don't like Sorin.
Tamiyo - Not unless they *really* want to scour the multiverse of all evidence of Kamigawa's existence.
Teferi - Very killable. He's not even a PW at the moment, but he's basically Venser - a legacy character who no longer serves any purpose in the plot.
Tezzeret - Interesting minion character, not gonna kill him.
Tibalt - I think a lot of what they do with Tibalt will get reconned so they can have a Rakdos walker in Standard.
Ugin - I think he gets killed again, eventually. He's probably too powerful unless he turns out evil.
Venser - Already permanently dead.
Vraska - Very much a filler character that could get killed off.
Xenagos - Already permanently (?) dead.

Ashodin

A++++++++++++ would reference again on the Princess Bride ref

Check out this dude's art rendition of Urza

urza__master_artificer_by_drbjrart-d8m271k.png

I would totally use that on a PW card

Urza was the boring brother though, literally a snob.

Of the old walkers the guy from Urborg and Leshrac were rad.

See, as badly written as Urza was you could at least see a clear driving force behind most of what he did (right up until he decided to toss away 4000 years of work because Yawgmoth's toys were too cool).

And by "guy from Urborg" do you mean Lord Windgrace: The OG Catwalker?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The reason Urza will never get a card is because a realistic card would upset people who want him to be completely overpowered.

Like, you could get away with making him 5UUWB and making him basically win the game on the spot, but people would bitch that he's unplayable.

You could make him 2UUWB and make him reasonable, but people would complain he wasn't powerful enough.

Wait a minute are we really gonna have 3 Ux PWs in a single block? That's pretty whacky and not even counting PW decks.
See, as badly written as Urza was you could at least see a clear driving force behind most of what he did (right up until he decided to toss away 4000 years of work because Yawgmoth's toys were too cool).

And by "guy from Urborg" do you mean Lord Windgrace: The OG Catwalker?

Beating his brother?

Yes OG catwalker. A panther IIRC, so no mane.

Santiako

Windgrace looked pretty cool.

vmu8t38.jpg
w78fEOf.jpg
e0fpBnR.jpg
ZBajXcb.jpg
XoZ6vHM.jpg

Freyalise got a card, it'd be cool if Windgrace, Tevesh Szat, Bo Levar and Commodore Guff got one too.

Ashodin

I enjoy Civil War Planeswalker as much as the next guy

holy shit I just realized he has a cigar in his mouth

how did I never see this

Angry Grimace

The annoying part of trying to discuss how good Standard is with people is that people confuse diversity with whether Standard is actually any fun.

Losing isn't any fun by default, but losing in specific ways can be a lot less fun.

bigkrev

The reason Urza will never get a card is because a realistic card would upset people who want him to be completely overpowered.

Like, you could get away with making him 5UUWB and making him basically win the game on the spot, but people would bitch that he's unplayable.

You could make him 2UUWB and make him reasonable, but people would complain he wasn't powerful enough.

He should be a Commander card like the mono-colored walkers they did. I'd probably have Urza as a 5 color card, but literally any color combination that includes Blue would work for him

Freyalise got a card, it'd be cool if Windgrace, Tevesh Szat, Bo Levar and Commodore Guff got one too.
Freyalise had been a character since Ice Age. Tevesh Szat was also from then, but the other cards were created for Invasion Block and there are maybe 10 people on the planet earth who not only know who they are, but also give an iota of a shit about them.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Going back to old, bad stories with bad characters wont help the new, bad stories with bad characters.

Ashodin

Turn 1 Thraben Inspector / Toolcraft Exemplar
Turn 2 Oath of Ajani, swing for 2
Turn 3 Gideon, make a dude
Turn 4 Oath of Ajani 2, Smuggler's Copter

yessssss

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Turn 1 Thraben Inspector / Toolcraft Exemplar
Turn 2 Oath of Ajani, swing for 2
Turn 3 Gideon, make a dude
Turn 4 Oath of Ajani 2, Smuggler's Copter

yessssss

I hope you're playing your Smuggler's Copter before that second Oath.

Wait a minute are we really gonna have 3 Ux PWs in a single block? That's pretty whacky and not even counting PW decks.

Not even that weird. Innistrad had three black PWs, Theros had three green ones, etc.

Of the existing characters, I'd say the likelihood of them getting killed:

I think they're likely to knock off more characters in the general-purpose villain category (like either of Ob or Tezzeret could easily die in a storyline.

Like, you could get away with making him 5UUWB

Urza is white-blue-red-black like Breya.

Angry Grimace

Not even that weird. Innistrad had three black PWs, Theros had three green ones, etc.

I think they're likely to knock off more characters in the general-purpose villain category (like either of Ob or Tezzeret could easily die in a storyline.

Nobody said he wasn't, but cards don't have to strictly follow everything in their color identity and and any given card is orders of magnitude less likely to see play in white-blue-red-black than white-black-blue.

Garruk is black only in colour identity or am I missing someone? Also it's not just 3 blue ones but 3 Ux ones, theros does compare though.

Urza can't be grixis+ he and Mishra are mirrors of each other and Mishra was grixis. That leaves Jeskai or Esper which I'd lean towards Jeskai since he never got corrupted by Phyrexia.

Angry Grimace

Grimace, isn't Koth black? Why isn't he protected by minority armor?

They don't have minority armor for all of them, just the ones where they made a big deal out of how inclusive those characters were upon introduction. I don't think they'd have a problem offing Teferi, either.

OnPoint

They don't have minority armor for all of them, just the ones where they made a big deal out of how inclusive those characters were upon introduction. I don't think they'd have a problem offing Teferi, either.

Frankly I'm surprised he's alive. I wish they'd kill him so as to avoid future time travel shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom