• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

That should be the very last thing you'd want as a commander player. The only thing keeping EDH staple prices reasonable is the fact that it's seen as a casual format. A Pro Tour would spike the prices harder that Hyena Umbra, which jumped from a 2 dollar card to a 28 dollar card over the weekend for some goddamn reason or another.
Pucatrade.

People fucking with the price on the card to play games there- the normal version is still a buck each.

The diversity is only there because it isn't a competitive format.

No kidding. Competitive commander (multiplayer) is completely broken. The only reason it works is because people agree (to varying degrees) that playing only the most busted shit isn't as interesting as setting up engines and watching powerful and wacky things happen.

Firemind

The diversity is only there because it isn't a competitive format.
Nrzj3yq.png

4qQMkYM.png

Hmmmmmm...

Santiako

Really interesting perspective from Matt Sperling on the pro player pay cuts, thinking that it may have to do with the recent judge lawsuit, to try to undermine the claim that some pro players are technically wotc/hasbro employees.

That's one of the only cases where the awful timing of the announcement makes some sense.

El Topo

I know it's adressed in the article, but I still wouldn't be surprised if someone sues, even if it probably makes little sense. If the judges can sue, surely so can the pros.

y2dvd

Creature 20
4 Hedron Crawler
3 Sylvan Advocate
2 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
4 Thought-Knot Seer
3 Reality Smasher
3 World Breaker
1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

Spells 16
4 Oath of Nissa
3 Nissa's Pilgrimage
4 Explosive Vegetation
1 Nissa's Renewal
2 Seasons Past
2 Chandra, Flamecaller

Lands 24
12 Forest
2 Cinder Glade
2 Mountain
1 Waste
3 Sanctim of Ugin
4 Shrine of the Forsaken Gods

Sideboards 15
1 Jaddi Offshoot
2 Rending Volley
4 Kozilek's Return
1 Ulamog, Ceaseless Hunger
3 Spatial Contortion
1 Clip Wings
1 Chandra, Flamecaller
2 Warping Wail

Was impressed with Seasons Past thanks to Jon Finkle. Threw it in the GR Ramp shell but made it a bit more midrange. Since I'm curving out and going more aggressive, I threw in Sylvan Advocate over Jaddi Offshoot. Thinking of removing an Oath of Nissa or Reality Smasher to make a set of Advocates or World Breakers. I find GR Ramp gassing out often in late games. Kozilek, the Great Distortion can be good at refueling, but the high cost means you often don't even get the chance to cast it. Seasons Past can keep the fuel going.

Curve of things to grab with Seasons Past looks pretty good.

CMC
0 Sanctim of Ugin
1 Oath of Nissa
2 Hedron Crawler, Sylvan Advocate
3 Nissa, Vastwood Seer, Nissa's Pilgrimage
4 Thought-Knot seer, Explosive Vegetation
5 Reality Smasher
6 Nissa's Renewal, Chandra, Flamecaller
7 World Breaker
10 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

I just threw the sideboards together. Will readjust it later. Anyways, gonna run something like this for Gameday. Thoughts?

OnPoint

That should be the very last thing you'd want as a commander player. The only thing keeping EDH staple prices reasonable is the fact that it's seen as a casual format. A Pro Tour would spike the prices harder that Hyena Umbra, which jumped from a 2 dollar card to a 28 dollar card over the weekend for some goddamn reason or another.

Yeah, I'd hate if they did this. The market is already screwed up as it is, we don't need optimal configurations coming in and inflating prices of normally unplayable jank even further. It's a casual format, it should stay a casual format.

Anything's a good idea against a control deck that only has four lands on turn nine. :p

it's not like I had a perfect draw and the game before they pretty much always spent their turn killing it specifically. The Jace isn't actually on board it's a bug that walkers getting killed while their flip trigger resolves return to the battlefield atm.

D

Deleted member 594614

Unconfirmed Member
Had a quick question, not much of a card gamer.

My fiance has become a teen librarian and has had some success hosting Yu-gi-oh programs but failed with Pathfinder. Would Magic be good for Teens/YA if sbe tried to organize it?

Any other games you could suggest?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

My fiance has become a teen librarian and has had some success hosting Yu-gi-oh programs but failed with Pathfinder. Would Magic be good for Teens/YA if sbe tried to organize it?

Yeah, it really would. If you talk to the right people at any game store, they might even hook you up with boxes of free cards.

He's playing in the Beta, I think.

I ain't tho

Oq74jTW.png

I don't know why I keep going back to MTGO.

Realized that Enter the Battlefield (the Pro Tour documentary) is worth making a topic about, since it's streaming today and releasing tomorrow, so I'll make it in a bit.

There are a couple of teachers in my area that have local store communities donate cards, deck holders, playmats, etc. all the time for their school programs. It's been pretty popular with middle school and high school crowds.

I'd also recommend Dice Masters. It uses many different IPs like Marvel, DC, TMNT, YuGiOh, and D&D to draw players in. The boosters (2 dice and 2 corresponding cards) are $1 apiece so it's not near as expensive as Magic. Check that out too.
http://wizkids.com/dicemasters/

Crocodile

Realized that Enter the Battlefield (the Pro Tour documentary) is worth making a topic about, since it's streaming today and releasing tomorrow, so I'll make it in a bit.

Might be a good idea to include info about the recent Pro Tour changes? The timing was......interesting to say the least.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm struggling really hard to make this Platinum thing matter - I just don't really care if Owen Turtenwald can't afford to fly to every single tournament. There's no real return from WOTC's perspective in having Turtenwald as a signature player to begin with.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What's with the Muddle the Mixture spike?

Can find Thopter Foundry and Sword of the Meek.

It was better when it could also find the then-relevant Vampire Hexmage, but still.

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
What's with the Muddle the Mixture spike?

I think it's because you can tutor for Thopter foundry and Sword of the Meek.

edit: BEATEN

BTW MagicGaf, any comfortable chairs you guys recommend while playing? Recently moved and would like some comfortable chairs for the man cave. Trying to find a set of 4 for roughly 200$

kirblar

I'm struggling really hard to make this Platinum thing matter - I just don't really care if Owen Turtenwald can't afford to fly to every single tournament. There's no real return from WOTC's perspective in having Turtenwald as a signature player to begin with.
The system never made sense, mtg is like poker not EEEEEEEE-sports

Yeef

What's it being used in? It's a cool card, I could see it in some kind of weird deck out of nowhere in... uh, Legacy I guess?
It's a pretty cool cube card for Morbid decks. That's primarily where I've used it. Eventually it'll find it's way into an actual set as an uncommon and the price will drop to something reasonable.

OnPoint

It's a pretty cool cube card for Morbid decks. That's primarily where I've used it. Eventually it'll find it's way into an actual set as an uncommon and the price will drop to something reasonable.

I kinda wanna build a Wrath/Recursion EDH deck that uses stuff like this (Penumbra Wurm, etc), but I don't wanna pay that much for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom