• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrArchon

Having lightning bolt on the flip side makes flipping really nice, but +2/+2 vigilance and haste sounds really good too. Too bad you can't bolt someone when she comes into play, but that'd probably bee too good for a 4 mana walker.

I don't like her as much as flip Garruk, but she's still really nice.

bigkrev

Vigilance. The traditional red and green ability. Nothing says red and green werewolf more than vigilance.
Man, they are really playing it safe with the planeswalkers. Seems like a good card though.

There are a dozen green creatures in standard right now with Vigilance. It's a solidly green ability.

El Topo

Err, isn't vigilance white's primary (and blue's secondary) ability?

IIRC vigilance isn't a primary ability for either red or green.

I was sarcastic. They've occasionally given green cards vigilance though. Slyvan Advocate and Tajuru Pathwarden come to mind as recent examples.

There are a dozen green creatures in standard right now with Vigilance. It's a solidly green ability.

They've tried that a lot more lately. Historically it's really not the most traditional green ability though and I'm not sure about the flavor.

OnPoint

Vigilance is a green ability, I believe MaRo said they've been trying it out in Green since way back around Vorapede in DKA.

She seems good. Similar to Garruk Relentless like Kirblar mentioned, but I like that she can flip back and forth.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Having lightning bolt on the flip side makes flipping really nice, but +2/+2 vigilance and haste sounds really good too. Too bad you can't bolt someone when she comes into play, but that'd probably bee too good for a 4 mana walker.

I don't like her as much as flip Garruk, but she's still really nice.

Ajani Vengeant lets you bolt someone when it comes into play, but AV is one of the bestest walkers =S

Also, Vigilance has been green for a while now: see also Woodland Wanderer, Sylvan Advocate, Tajuru Pathwarden, etc. The funniest part is that you don't see very many Reach, Vigilance guys in green despite the obvious synergy of those two abilities. The only one I remember was the Spider from Origins.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The reason its weird is that MaRo keeps saying vigilance is secondary in green when its obviously primary in both white and green now given the number of green vigilance things. Haste and Vigilance are a good choice because it gives you more than 0 reason to ever be on the Human side of the card - you can bolt something off, play a big dude and swing with it.

DrArchon

Green is secondary w/ Vigilance. It's definitely a weird fit.

Vigilance is easily one of the best abilities they could've chosen to combo with haste, so I'm glad they picked it. Nice to protect her and stay on the offense.

I wish her +1 on her wolf mode was a bit better. +1/+1 seems kinda lacking to me, even with trample. Maybe I'm just comparing her to Garruk Relentless spitting out Typhoid Wolves every turn though.

Angry Grimace

Vigilance is easily one of the best abilities they could've chosen to combo with haste, so I'm glad they picked it. Nice to protect her and stay on the offense.

I wish her +1 on her wolf mode was a bit better. +1/+1 seems kinda lacking to me, even with trample. Maybe I'm just comparing her to Garruk Relentless spitting out Typhoid Wolves every turn though.

It's an interesting design because her + on the human side is probably better in general than her +1 on the wolf side, so it creates some strategic depth as to what you do with the card. Her wolf+1 is a pretty funny combo with Atarka's Command, also.

OnPoint

The reason its weird is that MaRo keeps saying vigilance is secondary in green when its obviously primary in both white and green now given the number of green vigilance things. Haste and Vigilance are a good choice because it gives you more than 0 reason to ever be on the Human side of the card - you can bolt something off, play a big dude and swing with it.

I love how open he is about some stuff but I can't stand how obtuse he is about other stuff. It totally is primary in green and white, you're right -- secondary my ass. But you know he's going to keep saying it anyway.

Skulk is totally the U/B keyword and MaRo's just playing dumb on Tumblr.

Much like prowess it's probably not in the very next set (Lock, in this case) so they don't want to confirm it until next Spring's block when they add it back in.

there's already too many keywords tbh

No way, remember how dumb every single creature cycle ever was when it was just first strike/flying/fear/haste/trample in that order? This is much better.

Err, isn't vigilance white's primary (and blue's secondary) ability?

IIRC vigilance isn't a primary ability for either red or green.

Vigilance is white and green, it's not in blue.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Domri Rade and her play together nice, too. Add in Thragtusk, Wolf Run, Huntmaster...baby, you got a T3 modern deck a brewing!

Angry Grimace

R/G Tokens with Nissa into Arlinn =V

Funnily enough, I think Arlinn has pretty good synergy going up the chain with Chandra, Flamecaller too since Chandra's dumb elementals don't have Trample.

Xis

Vigilance. The traditional red and green ability. Nothing says red and green werewolf more than vigilance.

Vigilance has been a classic red ability since Legends!

Image.ashx

/s

It's an interesting design because her + on the human side is probably better in general than her +1 on the wolf side, so it creates some strategic depth as to what you do with the card.

Yeah, I think there are certainly some games where you're just going to sit there jacking her up and throwing hasty guys at the opponent every turn for a while.

I love how open he is about some stuff but I can't stand how obtuse he is about other stuff. It totally is primary in green and white, you're right -- secondary my ass. But you know he's going to keep saying it anyway.

There are ten green cards with the word "vigilance" in the last three years, and 33 white cards.

Funnily enough, I think Arlinn has pretty good synergy going up the chain with Chandra, Flamecaller too since Chandra's dumb elementals don't have Trample.

Yeah that was one of the first things I thought about. Solid base for a R/G midrange/aggro deck.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, I think there are certainly some games where you're just going to sit there jacking her up and throwing hasty guys at the opponent every turn for a while.

There are ten green cards with the word "vigilance" in the last three years, and 33 white cards.

Yeah that was one of the first things I thought about. Solid base for a R/G midrange/aggro deck.

I get what you're saying about vigilance, but I don't think it actually started getting vigilance frequently until less than three years ago and I seem to recall seeing it to compensate for Reach being bad on a few creatures. It's possible that its just that the creatures with Vigilance in green are more memorable to me for whatever reason in this block (Pathwarden, Sylvan Advocate, Woodland Wanderer, the land dude in OGW). But it still seems like I'm seeing it more frequently than I would expect for something to be "secondary."

red13th

wow Arlinn seems like a great card, but I really didn't need another Gruul 4-drop, or a Gruul planeswalker. I don't think I can find a spot for her in my cube.

Odric seems good in a White Weenie Deck, but I'm probably biased. Using him and Archangel as a Top end, you can swing with Indestructible Flying First Strike guys on turn 4.

DrArchon

It's an interesting design because her + on the human side is probably better in general than her +1 on the wolf side, so it creates some strategic depth as to what you do with the card. Her wolf+1 is a pretty funny combo with Atarka's Command, also.

True. Her human +1 is much better, but then you aren't transforming and bolting dudes if you use it. I'm still not sure which I'd rather be doing with her. I do like how her first abilities work better for different playstyles though. One for single large creatures and one for a group of small dudes/tokens.

I'm way more impressed with her than I was with Domri, but good flip cards always impress me.

El Topo

Vigilance has been a classic red ability since Legends!

I think I still have a ton of those lying around somewhere. Funny, thinking about it it's clearly not a black,blue or red ability, so it makes perfectly sense as a secondary ability for green, but for some reason it still baffled me (despite numerous recent cards).

Angry Grimace

I think you all know the score here:

T1 Land
T2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
T3 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
T4 Arlinn Kord // Arlinn, Embraced by the Moon
T5 Sarkhan Unbroken
T6 Chandra, Flamecaller

=V

Santiako

Macabre Waltz reprint, with new art:

ML_11.png

So apparently Liliana is also around in SOI, I thought she'd make her entrance in Eldritch Moon.

Yeef

It's like haste in green. Green is technically 3rd in haste, but development likes to put the little bit of haste that green gets onto constructed cards, so it seems more prominent than it actually is. The same is the case with Vigilance.

Macabre Waltz reprint, with new art:

ML_11.png

So apparently Liliana is also around in SOI, I thought she'd make her entrance in Eldritch Moon.
This art is amazing. I love it.

Angry Grimace

I don't think its as complicated as it looks; it just has a lot of options based on the board state.

But I think the majority of the time the play line when you first drop Arlinn is to make a Wolf and then consider your options from there based on the board. The only time you're going to realistically + when she comes out is if you have a board stall and a guy who can swing in and still defend and you think you can threaten lethal the next turn with a hasty guy. She certainly doesn't win you the game when you're behind, but that's a trait that's limited to the 6 mana+ walkers these days.

Otherwise there's very little reason to + because you threaten the same amount of additional power with a 0 then a plus if you have another guy and the - on the flipside is so good. In a normal situation in standard I would be not surprised if the most common play line is alternating 0s and -1s until Arlinn dies.

Jhriad

If I were to want a booster box these days, where's the best place to get it (price-wise)?

I'm thinking of jumping back in after years of not playing, but I've long since given away all my cards.

Since no one else has answered you yet, booster box prices can be pretty variable, depending on whether or not a select site has them on sale. If you're looking to get back into a Constructed format like Standard or Modern you would almost certainly be better off using your money to pay for singles instead of trying the lottery with a box. On the other hand if you're looking to play Sealed or Limited a booster box is great. With that in mind, here's a few options for you:

Massdrop
The available products on Massdrop change every week as the "drops" are voted on by the community and only drops that reach a certain threshold are put up for sale. There aren't always Standard legal booster boxes for sale but if you're patient you'll eventually see something you're interested in at a decent price.

CCGCrate.com
Run by Derium's CCGs, a LGS based in Ohio popularized by their YouTube channel, their boxes typically have shipping included in the price and are near the floor you'll see on Standard legal booster boxes ($89.99 w/ shipping included) outside of occasional sales or eBay listings. They might not always have product available on their website though. For instance, of the Standard legal sets that will still be in the format post-SOI rotation they don't have boxes of Dragons of Tarkir currently available.

eBay & TCGPlayer.com

Both of these are great options for singles and sealed product. You might be able to save a couple bucks elsewhere but it's typically only during sales periods or when inventory prices haven't been updated elsewhere after a price spike.

Other retailers worth checking: TrollandToad, StarCityGames, CoolStuffInc, Channel Fireball, and a number of others that I'm blanking on atm.

Make sure to look for deals on shipping since some sites might have boxes available for less than $89.99 but their shipping makes it more expensive. Some will offer free shipping if your order is over a certain amount so that could potentially be the better deal. Hope this helps. :)

I don't think its as complicated as it looks; it just has a lot of options based on the board state.

But I think the majority of the time the play line when you first drop Arlinn is to make a Wolf and then consider your options from there based on the board. The only time you're going to realistically + when she comes out is if you have a board stall and a guy who can swing in and still defend and you think you can threaten lethal the next turn with a hasty guy. She certainly doesn't win you the game when you're behind, but that's a trait that's limited to the 6 mana+ walkers these days.

Otherwise there's very little reason to + because you threaten the same amount of additional power with a 0 then a plus if you have another guy and the - on the flipside is so good. In a normal situation in standard I would be not surprised if the most common play line is alternating 0s and -1s until Arlinn dies.

Hey, if that's 'all' she's ends up doing I'll take it. The +1s are always there to make use of if the situation calls for it (I think the front +1 has slightly more use than you're giving it credit for). And her ultimate is, uh, printed on the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom