• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were to want a booster box these days, where's the best place to get it (price-wise)?

I'm thinking of jumping back in after years of not playing, but I've long since given away all my cards.

Haines

Banned
Hmm (limited)

Today's cards make this format look kind of fast. The vampire would be OK and maybe great if the set has the right cards.

The green dude might be alright but this format looks like people play out quick.

The one giving spirits flash is pretty cool.

index.png

"Rattlechains" - 1U
Creature - Spirit. Rare. 2/1.
Flash, flying
When xxx enters the battlefield, target spirit gains hexproof until end of turn.
You can cast spirit spells as though they had flash.

Not bad. If spirit decks are an actual thing, this will be part of the reason why.

Firemind

It very much depends on the deck. Multani is really good in Jarad, for example.
Multani is amazing in any multiplayer game, especially if it's given trample and haste with Brawn and Anger. :O

I believe Multani is even a pro tour winning card or at the very least a top 8 card with Reanimator.

ultron87

Ooh spirit tribal. That brings fond memories. My first "real" Constructed deck was Delver/Spirits with Drogskol Captain and Lingering Souls. Which was from Finkel's PT Dark Ascension deck, which was the first major Magic tournament I ever watched.

OnPoint

I like that they're pushing spirits. They were one of my favorite tribes in the original Innistrad. I hope they're playable this time around.

Ooh spirit tribal. That brings fond memories. My first "real" Constructed deck was Delver/Spirits with Drogskol Captain and Lingering Souls. Which was from Finkel's PT Dark Ascension deck, which was the first major Magic tournament I ever watched.

Me too! I built it on Magic Online, and at the time I thought it was crazy to spend more than pennies on digital cards. So I didn't buy Vapor Snags and used Unsummons instead because Vapor Snag was 25c and Unsummon was 1c. I built the deck without dual lands for something like 3 tickets and still won a bunch. It was super sweet.

ultron87

Me too! I built it on Magic Online, and at the time I thought it was crazy to spend more than pennies on digital cards. So I didn't buy Vapor Snags and used Unsummons instead because Vapor Snag was 25c and Unsummon was 1c. I built the deck without dual lands for something like 3 tickets and still won a bunch. It was super sweet.

You could play Ponder and Mana Leak in Standard! What a time to be alive.

(I totally acknowledge that not being able to play those cards in Standard is probably better for the format's overall health.)

Firemind

(I totally acknowledge that not being able to play those cards in Standard is probably better for the format's overall health.)
u crazy

I hope Arlinn will be aggro focused and not midrange shitting out wolves and stuff. I miss R/G aggro...

What if Arlinn's + ability is transform target permanent if able. You could use it with your werewolves and also to kill the flip-walkers.

I remember watching PT DKA. Finkel was sweating trying to resolve his Ponder (I think it was the QF match against Costa) and Hagon made a comment like "this is why we love this game - because a one-mana sorcery is this hard to play." I looked at the cards he was looking at, and I realized just how much skill there really was in the game. That was when I decided I buy in and start playing.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I remember watching PT DKA. Finkel was sweating trying to resolve his Ponder (I think it was the QF match against Costa) and Hagon made a comment like "this is why we love this game - because a one-mana sorcery is this hard to play." I looked at the cards he was looking at, and I realized just how much skill there really was in the game. That was when I decided I buy in and start playing.

I don't care what anybody thinks, Delver standard was great. I mostly played Zombies during that time period and still didn't get all wounded because Delver was a better deck. That's where I learned that being comfortable with your deck and knowledgeable about the meta could net you wins so (up to an obvious point of skill parity) you can play with your T2 deck and be just fine.

OnPoint

I don't care what anybody thinks, Delver standard was great. I mostly played Zombies during that time period and still didn't get all wounded because Delver was a better deck. That's where I learned that being comfortable with your deck and knowledgeable about the meta could net you wins so (up to an obvious point of skill parity) you can play with your T2 deck and be just fine.

My favorite standard. I played in an SCG open with Naya Pod and dropped at like 4-3-1 because as the day went on I felt increasingly like shit (learned a lot about game day nutrition at that tournament), but I beat the only two Delver decks I played with no issues. Losses were to Wolf Run Blue twice since it was brand new at that tournament (didn't see it coming at all) and some weird mono-white Trading Post deck due to several late-round misplays. My tie was against some weird Esper Tokens build. Was a real nice guy.

Point is, Delver was beatable. And that standard had it all. Giant awesome creatures, powerful spells, fun games, combo decks, aggro decks, control... man. What a time to play.

My favorite standard. I played in an SCG open with Naya Pod and dropped at like 4-3-1 because as the day went on I felt increasingly like shit (learned a lot about game day nutrition at that tournament), but I beat the only two Delver decks I played with no issues. Losses were to Wolf Run Blue twice since it was brand new at that tournament (didn't see it coming at all) and some weird mono-white Trading Post deck due to several late-round misplays. My tie was against some weird Esper Tokens build. Was a real nice guy.

Point is, Delver was beatable.

Wolf Run Blue was awesome. Hardcast Temporal Mastery? No problem.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Odric is pretty whatever, the other card is decent, but who knows how easy it will be to reach threshERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRdelirium.
Three mana is way too much for such a narrow ability. Can't even kill Gideon without Delirium. :lol

People played Foul-Tongue Invocation and I think its upside is less than this. I mean, I still think Ojutai decks are going to be the best ones without Crackling Doom being a real card but who knows?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Point is, Delver was beatable. And that standard had it all. Giant awesome creatures, powerful spells, fun games, combo decks, aggro decks, control... man. What a time to play.

I was all mad when Delver was spoiled because blue just shouldn't have such a good creature for so cheap but it gave us a new archetype in modern, so I got over it eventually. And honestly, thanks to Eldrazi, I don't know if I'll complain about a deck ever again. I'm so sick of the entire creature type now. After the inevitable Emrakul card, I don't want to see another Eldrazi for like, a decade.

OnPoint

Wolf Run Blue was awesome. Hardcast Temporal Mastery? No problem.

Yeah. In hindsight it was definitely my kind of deck. I wish I knew about it beforehand, I might have played it.

One of my favorite moments playing Magic came from that tournament though. I was in Game 3 against an opponent. I'm on the draw, turn 2 I drop Thalia and pass the turn. His turn 3 he top decks and tries to Miracle his Bonfire of the Damned for X=1. I explain to him that Thalia makes the Miracle spell cost (1)(X)(R). He tells me that the extra (1) from Thalia can just be applied to the (X) cost. I said that's not how it works and if he disagrees we better call a judge. He slams his hand on the table and screams "JUDGE!!!" into the air. I'm doing my best not to laugh my ass off at this point.

A judge comes over and we explain the situation. The judge then says "You can cast that spell for the Miracle cost if you like..." and the other guy looked pleased as punch. But the judge continued. "... but X will equal zero due to Thalia's ability." That guy was on tilt for the rest of the game and probably lost because of it. He barely shook my hand at the end and practically ran away from the table after the game was over. I think that put me to 2-0-1 on the day.

kirblar

I was all mad when Delver was spoiled because blue just shouldn't have such a good creature for so cheap but it gave us a new archetype in modern, so I got over it eventually. And honestly, thanks to Eldrazi, I don't know if I'll complain about a deck ever again. I'm so sick of the entire creature type now. After the inevitable Emrakul card, I don't want to see another Eldrazi for like, a decade.
This is the real reason people are whining about Emrakul in Innistrad.

It's affinity in Standard all over again.

DrArchon

I don't like how Odric doesn't do anything on his own. Fits the flavor obviously, but I still wouldn't want to topdeck a vanilla 4 mana 3/3 after a board wipe or anything.

To the Slaughter's art is outstanding. Holy shit!

El Topo

Vigilance. The traditional red and green ability. Nothing says red and green werewolf more than vigilance.
Man, they are really playing it safe with the planeswalkers. Seems like a good card though.

Nikodemos

Vigilance. The traditional red and green ability.
Man, they are really playing it safe with the planeswalkers.

Err, isn't vigilance white's primary (and blue's secondary) ability?

IIRC vigilance isn't a primary ability for either red or green.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Her starting loyalty isn't all that high though. You kind of have to hope your Gideon-esque wolf token can protect her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom