• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
index.png

Not bad. If spirit decks are an actual thing, this will be part of the reason why.
Not only have we been getting a fair number of flying 2/1 for 1Us recently, but this is the second one to have both flash and other upsides. I wonder if we're getting a cycle of flash creatures that protect something when it enters, given the similarity with Archangel Avacyn.

Yup, skulk is definitely an evergreen mechanic, judging from that grouping. I'm kind of surprised to actually see Odric, given that he was introduced in a core set and not in Innistrad proper. The flavor and art of To the Slaughter is amazing, even if the card might be too fiddly.

arlinn-kord.png

seems quite good
Arlinn is pretty interesting, especially in regards of the planning regarding what face you want on what turn.

Firemind

I wonder if Arlinn can function as a curve topper in Atarka Red. Wolf token and next turn +2/+2 trample to all your creatures with Atarka's Command. If sweeper, then bolt and pump out wolf. Rinse and repeat. Too bad Wooded Foothills is rotating out.

OnPoint

I wish they would have pushed Odric a little bit more -- 2W for a 3/2 with that ability would have been OK I think and possibly seen some play in interesting places. Would be awesome if he saw play, but I would guess he's gonna see play in Commander if anywhere.

pigeon

Banned
Historically it's really not the most traditional green ability though and I'm not sure about the flavor.

From a design perspective, vigilance in green is nice because it allows green to pursue its win condition of attacking all the time and relying on stats to carry the day. But they haven't done a great job of selling it on flavor.

Then again vigilance has never really been clearly established flavor-wise for white either. Angels all get it, soldiers tend to get it, but then it's also on like random griffins and gargoyles and stuff. Or Kithkin Rabble.

I think you all know the score here:

T1 Land
T2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
T3 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
T4 Arlinn Kord // Arlinn, Embraced by the Moon
T5 Sarkhan Unbroken
T6 Chandra, Flamecaller

=V
This is the exact curve I was thinking of when I saw Arlinn. You can play Dragon Fodder at 2 as well, and turn 1 is tapped manland. Temur Mana is quite good. With Sarkhan and Thunderbreak Regent, Draconic Roar starts looking reasonable again. Kills opposing Arlinns pretty good.

Ashodin

I wish they would have pushed Odric a little bit more -- 2W for a 3/2 with that ability would have been OK I think and possibly seen some play in interesting places. Would be awesome if he saw play, but I would guess he's gonna see play in Commander if anywhere.

w8i6ho2.gif

Then it's secondary, fine. But it's still fine on this planeswalker as the green ability.

Yes, I was trying to agree with that, heh.

The angel tomb band in the background though.

I was worried that someone was updating Macabre Waltz given how great the original art is, but the angel band and the facial expressions on both Lili and the zombie totally sell this one.

I really hope they are doing another Art book for this block. Unlike Zendikar, the art is really good!

Already confirmed, in fact we got some early hints about the block from the text in the announcement.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Not as good as classic Macabre Waltz but still pretty good.

Arlinn also looks good.

Art good.

Good set.

I'm not sure how Temur mana is good. I guess we'd need to see the rare land cycle first.
Wedge:
2 Manlands
2 Painlands
1 Santaland

Shard:
1 Manland
1 Painland
2 Santalands

That's a lot of good duals. I like the Wedge mana a lot better than the Shard mana if you're trying for a 3-color deck as it stands. Obviously the new lands could change everything.

OnPoint

I think To The Slaughter might be pretty good actually. We'll see, but I have a feeling it's going to be better than people think.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";198397319]Wedge:
2 Manlands
2 Painlands
1 Santaland

Shard:
1 Manland
1 Painland
2 Santalands

That's a lot of good duals. I like the Wedge mana a lot better than the Shard mana if you're trying for a 3-color deck as it stands. Obviously the new lands could change everything.[/QUOTE]

I feel like the Battlelands suck without fetchlands, but I've never tried to run a deck without fetches.

OnPoint

Would strongly suspect Liliana ends up in the "I'm saving the Galaxy because I LIVE IN IT" school of motivation.

Also could be a "means to an end" situation since she's dealing with her demon deals and other such stuff. But even as an ally, I'm not sure she ever takes an oath and becomes a card-carrying Justice League member.

I think To The Slaughter might be pretty good actually. We'll see, but I have a feeling it's going to be better than people think.

Getting that land and the creature into the yard is going to be a lot more problematic than people are expecting. Without fetches, and with so much removal that exiles, you can't reliably have Delirium turned on till turn four or five at the earliest. Unless we get another Satyr Wayfinder, which we've yet to see in Standard.

Remind me again how Lili is supposed to be a good guy?

She's there to be the extreme anti-hero character, so Gideon can get angry when she randomly kills someone but she's good at getting the job done so he keeps her around. Then they make love. Liliana reveals that she's 100 years older than him, but Gideon doesn't care because he respects his elders. Liliana breaks up with him when he offers hemorrhoid cream as a present, though.

Ashodin

Liliana is the fucking hot topic girl who thinks she has powers

Except the joke's on us and she actually does have powers

Yeef

I feel like we're more likely to get Sorin joining the Gatewatch before Liliana, but even that feels like a bit of a stretch. They'll have to have one join eventually for marketing reasons, but of all the current black planeswalkers, none of them really feel like the "team player" sort.

I mean, I guess Nissa and Gideon would bitch about it, but I don't think Jace or Chandra would care at all.

Aside from mindraping people Jace seems to be rather vanilla.

What if Elspeth turns mono black?

The dream. Black doesn't always need to incorporate evil

Elspeth in Sorrow 1BB

+2: Put a 1/1 Zombie Soldier token into play that has "When this creature dies target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn"
+1: Target creature gets flying and "Sacrifice a creature: this creature gets +2/+1 until end of turn".
-X: Each opponent loses X life two times. You gain life equal to the life lost this way.

I like working existing effects into PWs too much. This walker has zero creativity but soem synergy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";198394777]This is the exact curve I was thinking of when I saw Arlinn. You can play Dragon Fodder at 2 as well, and turn 1 is tapped manland. Temur Mana is quite good. With Sarkhan and Thunderbreak Regent, Draconic Roar starts looking reasonable again. Kills opposing Arlinns pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Curve is probably better if you cast Oath of Nissa on 1

pigeon

Banned
NOT A SPOILER

Elspeth Undead 2BB
+1: Put a 1/1 Zombie token into play.
-1: Each player sacrifices a creature.
-9: You gain an emblem with "if you would lose the game, instead gain 50 life and sacrifice this emblem."

NOT A SPOILER

Elspeth Undead 2BB
-9: You gain an emblem with "if you would lose the game, instead gain 50 life and sacrifice this emblem."

Wouldn't the state based action of losing the game kick in before the emblem ability resolves?
Also loses to infect and mill

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
NOT A SPOILER

Elspeth Undead 2BB

NOT A SPOILER
I would buy 12 of these if it was a 2/2 zombie

Haines

Banned
(Limited)

Odric seems kind of amazing. Def a bit of a build around. Grab dem keywords.

For the slaughter seems horrible. You probably just trade a card for one if there filler minions.

Planeswalker obv good.

Bring 2 back from graveyard plus discard feels like it might play well with this sets mechanics that it might go in a couple decks and not at all in others.

pigeon

Banned
Wouldn't the state based action of losing the game kick in before the emblem ability resolves?

Don't care, make Tabak fix it.

It's deliberate that it loses to alternate win conditions. Elspeth can't raise you from everything! I thought about putting in "if you would lose due to having 0 life" but I figured getting one extra card against mill wouldn't hurt. It might be better though, I have no idea how a lose the game replacement effect would actually interact with a "you win the game" on your opponent's part.

I guess you could just do "if your life total would drop below 1, instead set it to 50." That probably works in the rules as written? Maybe?

NOT A SPOILER
I would buy 12 of these if it was a 2/2 zombie

I was afraid a 2/2 for +1 would be too good, but I haven't played much Magic in a while so my balance sense might be off.

Ashodin

(Limited)

For the slaughter seems horrible. You probably just trade a card for one if there filler minions.

Planeswalker obv good.

Bring 2 back from graveyard plus discard feels like it might play well with this sets mechanics that it might go in a couple decks and not at all in others.

For Limited I like that Odric is 3W. Splashable.

DrArchon

(Limited)

Odric is an odd one for limited imo. He's easily good enough to win you the game if you have enough dudes and one of them happens to have flying, but you're gonna feel like crap when you can't keep more than 1 guy on the board and you topdeck him.

He's still first pick material, easy to splash, and should be fun to build around, but in terms of rare limited bombs he's not that impressive to me.

ultron87

Don't care, make Tabak fix it.

I think your current wording works? It's the same template as Lich's Mirror, which is:

"If you would lose the game, instead shuffle your hand, your graveyard, and all permanents you own into your library, then draw seven cards and your life total becomes 20."

If you gain 50 life, if you'd lost a game to Infect you'd just lose again, I think, and it'd keep alive for one more draw if your library is empty.

Haines

Banned
For Limited I like that Odric is 3W. Splashable.

I'm not exactly keen on what is splashable. Is it the later drops that help. It's one thing I've been struggling to learn BC my friend just opts out of splashing entirely.

For instance.I played a GW support deck on weekend. I had 4 diff mana fixing cards I could have played but they weren't the best ones.

I opted to not play them to splash for a reflector mage BC I figured a 3 drop might end up sitting in my hand where as a later drop like even 4 you have more time to ensure your mana is fixed for it.

Am I on the right track? Maybe I need to read an article on splashing in limited.

I'm not exactly keen on what is splashable. Is it the later drops that help. It's one thing I've been struggling to learn BC my friend just opts out of splashing entirely.

For instance.I played a GW support deck on weekend. I had 4 diff mana fixing cards I could have played but they weren't the best ones.

I opted to not play them to splash for a reflector mage BC I figured a 3 drop might end up sitting in my hand where as a later drop like even 4 you have more time to ensure your mana is fixed for it.

Am I on the right track? Maybe I need to read an article on splashing in limited.

depends on the kind of manafixing but ref mage is totally worth a splash it's such a huge tempo swing.

1/1 Zombie tokens is almost as sacrilegious as Linvala making a 3/3 Angel.

Angels are 4/4s, goddammit! Don't even get me started on 4/4 bear tokens!

walter-sobchacks-caridiyce.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom