• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
mtggoldfish.com is great for single cards searches (make sure you look at the paper price - it's the blue one.)

tcgplayer.com is the classic one for putting cards in one spot (a list) and seeing the retail value of everything.

Others in here will have lots more info / insight than I will, though.

Ashodin

Trying to work a post rotation Ally Equipment CoCo deck.

4 Ally Encampment
2 Canopy Vista
2 Cinder Glade
4 Forest
9 Plains
2 Smoldering Marsh
4 Bone Saw
3 Captain's Claws
4 Collected Company
4 Drana, Liberator of Malakir
3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
4 Oath of Gideon
4 Stone Haven Outfitter
2 Stoneforge Masterwork
4 Veteran Warleader
4 Weapons Trainer

Sideboard:

1 Hallowed Moonlight
2 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar

Any thoughts? That 2 Nissa is something I need to acquire. I think Hallowed Moonlight is going to be a big deal sideboard after rotation.

if the numbers look janky that's because this is what I currently have. If you suggest me to acquire more of X, I'll try and do that.

I'm actually flabbergasted how awesome the combo of Outfitter + Captain's Claws + Kor Ally token is. The Ally just keeps making itself.

You have 16 targets in a Collected Company deck. You are low on the bare minimum by at least 9. Anything less than 25 creatures and you just start getting too many misses in your 6.

You also have a double-black creature in your deck with 6 sources of black in your mana (4 Ally Encampment, 2 Smoldering Marsh. Your land count should also be 24 or 25 if you want to regularly get to 4 mana by turn 4 or 5.

I don't think you can jam a ton of equipment in a CoCo deck. The card restricts your deck building quite a bit.

Trying to jam 4 colors in SoI Standard seems absurd, considering we don't even know the rare land cycle. Drana, while great, requires you to draw one of your six black sources, her, for her to survive on the board for a turn, and then to deal Combat damage to a player to get value. Innistrad has all the spirits that are going to make Drana be less effective IMO.

Collected Company doesn't work with 19 Creatures or Equipment in general, like at all. I run CoCo Hatebears in Modern with 30 Creatures and I still whiff about once every 4-5 Games, and you're running 2/3rd of what I do. Collected Company wants Dudes, and it's honestly not that great in this deck with the equipment/Non creature spells.

On top of that, CoCo is only good when you can get the full value out of it. If you get two one drops for 4 Mana, you feel like you wasted a card. If you get two 2 Drops, you've achieved Mana Parity. If you get 2 3Drops, you've gotten full on value. You should be aiming for that 2/3 Drop spot in building a deck with CoCo.

If you want to go CoCo Allies, You'd be better off skipping the Black, going Naya, focusing as much as you can on Rally/Cohort Value. Going to Combat, you CoCo during declare Attackers, ripping off a Firemantle Mage and a Lantern Scout getting all that value.

Ashodin

Hmmmmm okay.

I was hoping to be able to use CoCo in a deck like this but it seems the mana base will be too restrictive and also you're right on the equipment/creature count.

Seems W/R is the better way to go (as I had done previously).

Will put it together and repost list.

Edit: Wait, yeah Stars I had it as Naya at first, lemme edit into that range. Then I won't be dismantling the entire deck.

To be honest, the best Allies in the block, from a tribal standpoint, are in black and white. Right now I run abzan allies because Sylvan Advocate and Veteran Warleader are too good to pass up, but if it weren't for them and Collected Company getting your allies to a saturation point faster, I would just run straight WB. None of the equipment is good enough to run 4-of in any deck and some aren't even worth putting in a deck at all. If you want to run an equipment deck, which generally isn't that great right now, just run it like that and don't even bother with the Ally component.

GW allies might be pretty strong post-rotation. I got run over by it on Game Day. (Who knows though. Anyone telling you to build anything or collect anything in anticipation of the new standard is selling snake oil. Unless they tell you to stock up on Dragonlord Ojutais.)

4x Veteran Warleader
3x Lantern Scout
4x Sylvan Advocate
4x Kor Bladewhirl
3x Expedition Envoy
4x Oath of Nissa
2x Oath of Gideon
4x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
3x Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
4x Dromoka's Command
(and lands)

It would just curve out and beat down, really quick. RW allies has too many high-cost creatures. Bx allies is more about synergy and less aggro. Mixing any of those strategies tends to just compound the downsides while not really gaining tons from the upsides in synergy.

Ashodin

I agree, WB are the best allies. I'm trying something different though (as I love to play unique strategies) and I haven't seen all the equipment or other cards from SOI yet to get more ideas.

I think Captain's Claws + Outfitter is a great combo still though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Trying to jam 4 colors in SoI Standard seems absurd, considering we don't even know the rare land cycle. Drana, while great, requires you to draw one of your six black sources, her, for her to survive on the board for a turn, and then to deal Combat damage to a player to get value. Innistrad has all the spirits that are going to make Drana be less effective IMO.

Collected Company doesn't work with 19 Creatures or Equipment in general, like at all. I run CoCo Hatebears in Modern with 30 Creatures and I still whiff about once every 4-5 Games, and you're running 2/3rd of what I do. Collected Company wants Dudes, and it's honestly not that great in this deck with the equipment/Non creature spells.

On top of that, CoCo is only good when you can get the full value out of it. If you get two one drops for 4 Mana, you feel like you wasted a card. If you get two 2 Drops, you've achieved Mana Parity. If you get 2 3Drops, you've gotten full on value. You should be aiming for that 2/3 Drop spot in building a deck with CoCo.

If you want to go CoCo Allies, You'd be better off skipping the Black, going Naya, focusing as much as you can on Rally/Cohort Value. Going to Combat, you CoCo during declare Attackers, ripping off a Firemantle Mage and a Lantern Scout getting all that value.

Drana dies to removal, sure, but Drana also costs 3 mana and represents a LOT of potential damage to those fliers. We don't know that spirits are going to be playable. It's not like we have any reason to believe Lingering Souls is being printed.

Yeef

Drana dies to removal, sure, but Drana also costs 3 mana and represents a LOT of potential damage to those fliers. We don't know that spirits are going to be playable. It's not like we have any reason to believe Lingering Souls is being printed.
We know Lingering Souls isn't reprinted in this set, because it has flashback. We could still get Midnight Haunting though.

Black Red Vampires seems to be all about Madness, but I'm hoping they have a slith vampire or two in red just as a callback.

mana dude 1G
t: add g to your mana pool. transform.
1/1

werewolf
trample
3/3

I mean it's not exactly that, but

125a.jpg
125b.jpg

?

pigeon

Banned
I mean it's not exactly that, but

125a.jpg
125b.jpg

?

Wait, is this guy not bullshit? This looks crazy to me. Turn two drop, if your opponent doesn't have a turn two drop, you get a 2/2 AND double ramp? The variance!

edit: lolz, this is from the past.

STILL LOOKS REALLY STRONG

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
oh cards I forgot about from dark ascension

Angry Grimace

How to play GW Hardened Scales:

* Draw Hardened Scales in your opening hand and cast it on turn 1.

Blue Eldrazi vs. G/R Ramp

It's my opponents fifth turn. I'll have 7 mana next turn with Atarka and Ugin in hand.

He casts Thought-Knot Seer.

For some reason he picks Ugin, so of course

UPEI8MR.jpg

X9ldELR.jpg

zdFxLlN.jpg

I will never understand why people get upset at anyone other than themselves when they make an obvious mistake.

OnPoint

Blue Eldrazi vs. G/R Ramp

It's my opponents fifth turn. I'll have 7 mana next turn with Atarka and Ugin in hand.

He casts Thought-Knot Seer.

For some reason he picks Ugin, so of course

http://i.imgur.com/UPEI8MR.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/X9ldELR.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/zdFxLlN.jpg[/IMG

I will never understand why people get upset at anyone other than themselves when they make an obvious mistake.[/QUOTE]
The amount people tilt on Mtgo makes it really frustrating to play.

Haines

Banned
Breakneck looks great for putting on pressure in limited. Red just keeps getting amazing limited cards.

Green is wierd. Second card that fetches self milled lands. Also notice sometimes being able to cast 2 spells would transform a wolf back to human but idk if that makes you want to have cheaper cards in your deck to do so. I guess this goes in a mill ramp deck? Idk

Santiako

Didn't they already show a Tarmogoyf variant that has it? Or was it a leak?

That was a fake.

I'm fairly certain at least Soul Swallower was official.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/shadowsoverinnistrad

The Tarmogoyf variant was a leak (I think).

Soul Swallower was spoiled you're right, I forgot about it.

It lets you pitch a land to a discard outlet or to turn on Delirium for a turn or two and still hit your drops. Lands are going to be one of the most common things discarded outside of Madness cards.

Fair enough.

Okay maybe this card is better than I gave it credit for.

Not sure I have room for it in my Boros Angel EDH deck though.

en_VjJgiwJnvK.png

I wanna include it because it's a mono red angel but I just don't know how good not bad it is. Art is sick, though once again with the pose.

Lol against Nekusar though.

Firemind

Ha, Frank points out you can flash Avacyn in when another Avacyn you own has transformed with the damage ability on the stack to save all your creatures. Both Avacyns would live because they're not the same legend. Neat and when I say neat I mean hella dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom