• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

The set symbol is probably literally Emrakul since we know Emrakul's the Eldritch Moon. (It's referring to the thing that is coming, not the existing Moon.)

Yeef

In other news, scheduling for the next PPTQ season opened a day or two ago. The scheduling window excludes the weekend of September 24th, which means that's the prerelease for [Kaladesh]. That, in turn, means the release date is September 30th.

ultron87

From Robo Rosewater:

jHluTaY.jpg

This has to be broken with something somehow, right?

Ashodin

I'm still of the mind it's a broken moon.

It's the symbol that would be the MOST obvious upon being seen what was going on in the set and VERY spoiler heavy. It's simple to design, just make it a circle with broken cookie pieces coming off of it. However, it's very obvious what it would represent.

Something like this:

stock-illustration-48777266-vector-illustration-3d-glossy-glass-sphere-crumbling-to-pieces-background-.jpg

It also would look like Emrakul.

OnPoint

I would be surprised if the Heron Moon actually breaks. I think the "moon" thing is a a red herring and it has nothing to do with it. Like someone mentioned before, Emrakul IS the "Eldrich Moon".

Also, those hoping it's the Phyrexians or something else, didn't Emrakul have a connection to the Angels on Zendikar? It would thematically make sense if so.

So if fire magic is banned on Kaladesh, how will they handle red cards? That cuts out a huge bit that red does. I hope it means they will experiment a little more with red, interacting with artifacts and such.

Ashodin

So if fire magic is banned on Kaladesh, how will they handle red cards? That cuts out a huge bit that red does. I hope it means they will experiment a little more with red, interacting with artifacts and such.

There'll be an uprising either started by Chandra or already in progress when she gets there.

I bet ALL types of magic are banned as the populace thinks you are using up Aether (what they use to power their machines) to do it.

Hey, somewhat of a noob here who's been bitten by the Magic bug - I used to play in the 90's, but a lot's changed since then and I've been reading up so as to not be entirely lost, but there's still some things that confuse me. Mainly with the transformation cards - my friend told me I can only transform a card on my upkeep, but the cards say "at the beginning of each upkeep", which suggests to me that I should be able to intentionally not cast any spells one turn so as to transform any double-sided cards during my opponent's upkeep...is that right?

Also, I'm joining in with a regular group of players at the weekend and don't want to get absolutely demolished, would anyone mind taking a look at my deck? Any advice would be appreciated, I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing haha.

//White
1 Chaplain's Blessing
1 Cliffside Lookout
1 Gideon's Reproach
1 Hanweir Militia Captain
2 Kor Sky Climber
1 Nahiri's Machinations
1 Sheer Drop
1 Stasis Snare

//Red
4 Breakneck Rider
3 Convicted Killer
4 Ember-Eye Wolf
1 Expedite
1 Fiery Temper
2 Gatstaf Arsonists
1 Geier Reach Bandit
1 Lightning Axe
1 Pyre Hound
1 Shivan Dragon
4 Skin Invasion
1 Uncaged Fury
1 Vessel of Volatility

//Multicolor
1 Nahiri, the Harbinger

//Colorless
1 Chitinous Cloak
1 Harvest Hand
1 Neglected Heirloom

//Lands
1 Blighted Steppe
9 Mountain
6 Plains
1 Rugged Prairie
1 Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
3 Stone Quarry
1 Warped Landscape

Ashodin

Hey, somewhat of a noob here who's been bitten by the Magic bug - I used to play in the 90's, but a lot's changed since then and I've been reading up so as to not be entirely lost, but there's still some things that confuse me. Mainly with the transformation cards - my friend told me I can only transform a card on my upkeep, but the cards say "at the beginning of each upkeep", which suggests to me that I should be able to intentionally not cast any spells one turn so as to transform any double-sided cards during my opponent's upkeep...is that right?

You are absolutely correct. Werewolves transform on any upkeep after a player hasn't played a spell. So you could play nothing, then pass and they transform. It's a typical tactic werewolf players do.

Your deck itself seems to be all over the place - there's a lot of 1-ofs (I'm assuming because of lack of cards?). I'd remove all the chaff removal (Sheer Drop, Gideon's Reproach) and go straight for 4x Fiery Temper 4x Lightning Axe. Since they're uncommon/commons, you shouldn't have trouble acquiring them at your LGS.

One thing about magic deck building is that consistency is key. It makes playing with your favorite cards kind of hard to do, but then, playing with your favorite cards is all dependent on you drawing them, right? :)

Your deck itself seems to be all over the place - there's a lot of 1-ofs (I'm assuming because of lack of cards?). I'd remove all the chaff removal (Sheer Drop, Gideon's Reproach) and go straight for 4x Fiery Temper 4x Lightning Axe. Since they're uncommon/commons, you shouldn't have trouble acquiring them at your LGS.

Yeah, haven't got a lot of cards as of yet and haven't had much luck with the boosters I bought, so I guess I'll head over to the comic book store tomorrow and see if I can find some singles to get me up to 4x on those cards

Thanks for the help :)

Santiako

I'm debating if i should preorder a box of Eternal Masters before the spoilers start and the sellers start jacking up the prices.

Ashodin

I'm debating if i should preorder a box of Eternal Masters before the spoilers start and the sellers start jacking up the prices.

I'm already going half in with my wife. There's bound to be a ton of shit in there we don't have at all. I'm looking at you, Liliana of the Veil.

red13th

Yeah I kind of want a box to crack but I'm pretty sure it won't be a good deal since I'll still have to buy singles of stuff I want. :/

bigkrev

Did my first TSP-TSP-PLC draft ever tonight on MTGO. Time Spiral block is probably my biggest knowledge hole, because I never even bought a single pack of any set in the block or even thought about Magic when it was out. I'm really surprised people don't have this format high on their tier lists- there is SO MUCH going on, lots of on-board tricks and unique Flash cards, and it feels great. I've used Suspend cards in cube before, but having lots of them and curving out with them plays great. I won my draft, but I don't think most people playing in these are really used to all the mechanics- I had opponents in every round paying Echo costs when they clearly shouldn't have been, but I def want to play another one this weekend.

Did my first TSP-TSP-PLC draft ever tonight on MTGO. Time Spiral block is probably my biggest knowledge hole, because I never even bought a single pack of any set in the block or even thought about Magic when it was out. I'm really surprised people don't have this format high on their tier lists- there is SO MUCH going on, lots of on-board tricks and unique Flash cards, and it feels great.

TSPx3 is a better still-has-a-vague-hold-on-sanity version of the format and TSP-PLC-FUT is better as the most complete brain-melting sanity-twisting format ever.

Crocodile

Time Spiral Block Draft was my first draft format. I had a lot of fun with it. Though I'm the kind of guy who appreciated the block as a history lesson/catch-up rather than get flumuxed by X number of mechanics :p

As an aside, trying to nail down the archetypes in my Tribal Cube is really hard. I keep getting pulled in multiple directions and its hard to settle down on a final size :(

With the amount of counters run currently in standard it dawns on me how harmless a Cavern of Souls reprint would have been currently. There are mostly 1 of counters usually that's negate and seldomly ojutai's command.
At worst it'd have pushed humans W/x more.

I'm wondering if I could make U/r merfolk, add 4x bolt and a 1 or 2 of Jori En basically, might even sideboard Blood Moon.

So guys, I just realized I have a signed English All Hallow's Eve by Christopher Rush (I literally got it done at GP vegas and forgot about it...somehow). How likely is it that mine is one of few on the planet, and should I ship it to some Wizards of the Coast vault / Maro or something?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So guys, I just realized I have a signed English All Hallow's Eve by Christopher Rush (I literally got it done at GP vegas and forgot about it...somehow). How likely is it that mine is one of few on the planet, and should I ship it to some Wizards of the Coast vault / Maro or something?

Sell it and bathe in the gold doubloons forthcoming?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203326314]I've been trying so hard to trade for a second kalitas for a month. Nobody's biting.[/QUOTE]
I have 4 Kalitas. I got them for 1000 puca points.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203333718]I don't know how that translates into normal people money, but overnight me one k thx[/QUOTE]
1000 PP is 10 dollars

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203334630]Ok, I'll give you 2.50 plus overnight shipping fees for one then.[/QUOTE]
I was bragging not offering

I went after Kalitas HARD when SOI came out. I have very little in the way of cash so I mostly have to get things through trades. I think I traded something like 4 or 5 various planeswalkers for the 3 copies of Kalitas I have. And I've gotten away with some good deals like that in the past. So much so that everyone at my LGS immediately becomes suspicious when I'm actively trading for a card.

baleenwhale asked: You wrote about a failure of BFZ not returning to what players loved about Zendikar, but what metrics did you guys use to find out that it was a mistake? Last I heard, BFZ was the best-selling set at the time of Release.

The set sold very Well, but the market Research was significantly lower than blocks before it.

Well, at least they know it.

Yeef

I just opened all 4 of my Kalitases. You guys just need to draft more!

(Meanwhile, I've only managed to open 1 Always Watching so far even though I've opened literally 2 to 4 copies of every mythic in the set other than Geralf's Messenger).

Joe Molotov

Do you have any Scream counters to go with it?

I just opened all 4 of my Kalitases. You guys just need to draft more!

(Meanwhile, I've only managed to open 1 Always Watching so far even though I've opened literally 2 to 4 copies of every mythic in the set other than Geralf's Messenger).

I've drafted OGW probably 12 times at the least and won it multiple times and opened zero kalitas, zero nissas and zero chandras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom