• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magic Daily Update said:
The Daily Magic Update is a roundup of everything Magic you should know on May 12, 2016. Today's Update is brought to you by Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, who is brought to you by Nahiri, the Harbinger, who is brought to you by Seth Manfield and Shaun McLaren.

And, no, that's really, very much not a story spoiler. They don’t let me do those here. It is, however, a Modern deck. Check it out below.

Cheeky.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So apparently you can unmorph Willbender in response to a Split Second spell, which has to be the most incredibly obscure, rules-lawyer interaction ever. Someone should have gotten fired for putting those in the same set.

bigkrev

So apparently you can unmorph Willbender in response to a Split Second spell, which has to be the most incredibly obscure, rules-lawyer interaction ever. Someone should have gotten fired for putting those in the same set.

I lost a game I thought impossible to loose today because of this interaction with Word of Siezing :(

Is it wrong to feel smug because I knew this already? :p

I actually think it's smart design to have an answer to Split Second in a block that has a bunch of split second spells.

red13th

Yeah. It's not obscure to me because it was common knowledge back when TSP was released and I was playing back then, but it's really weird.

bigkrev

Yeah. It's not obscure to me because it was common knowledge back when TSP was released and I was playing back then, but it's really weird.

Yeah, it's like how you can Extripate someones Punishing Fires, but they can tap their Grove of the Burwillows in response to give you a life so they can return it to their hand.

Split Second is a pretty confusing ability

Yeef

I figured most of the people in this thread would already know about the morph/split-second interaction.

It has to work that way (unmorphing doesn't use the stack). Otherwise you could respond to my "unmorph" with a Shock on the morphed creature.
Not only that, but the steps of unmorphing a creature involve revealing it so that other player's can see the morph cost, so technically, they'd be able to see what it was first before deciding to shock it.

702.36e Any time you have priority, you may turn a face-down permanent you control with a morph ability face up. This is a special action; it doesn’t use the stack (see rule 115). To do this, show all players what the permanent’s morph cost would be if it were face up, pay that cost, then turn the permanent face up. (If the permanent wouldn’t have a morph cost if it were face up, it can’t be turned face up this way.) The morph effect on it ends, and it regains its normal characteristics. Any abilities relating to the permanent entering the battlefield don’t trigger when it’s turned face up and don’t have any effect, because the permanent has already entered the battlefield.

Anyway, the way Tamiyo was written in the last story makes me more confident that she's at least blue-green. Whether she's also white remains to be seen.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I figured most of the people in this thread would already know about the morph/split-second interaction.

Unmorphing in response to split-second makes total sense, I'd have seen that coming. Its the Willbender interaction that's a bit counterintuitive. Its a triggered ability but it feels like an activated ability because its stapled onto the unmorph

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
She's totally blue-green.

Kiora fucking sucks

Although she's good at Delirium making

The hilaroius part is that her 2nd card is a riff on the first card that manages to be worse for some reason.

Yeah. She came off pretty non-white, in fact. But in Magic Duels her deck is Bant colors.

Whenever Tibalt shows up again, he'll almost certainly be BR.

If I had to venture a guess, She's UG, but the deck is Bant because she's helping Jace(who if he wasn't an Origin 5 would totally be UW by now) to do white goals.

That or the deck is telling us of Tamiyo joining the Order of Saint Traft, which seems pretty Bant to me.

OnPoint

She didn't come off White whatsoever.

I think her holding fast to her "responsibility" to not open any of those three sealed scrolls felt like a "for the good of everyone" moment, which could be seen as white. But she definitely seems blue-green to me.

Kiora is blue-red. They screwed up with her.

ultron87

I'm looking forward to setting money on fire at GP Columbus where I assume they'll have Eternal Masters drafts since that's the release weekend.

Firemind

Still waiting on that rakdos walker. Sarkhan was so disappointing.
What? It was fantastic in Jund as a card drawing engine. And unlike Ob Nixilis, it's actually really good against mono red since you get a 5/5 dragon that can block Hell's Thunder and race.

In fact I would rank Sarkhan the Mad 2nd in the top 5 multicolour PWs.

1. Ajani Vengeant
2. Sarkhan the Mad
3. Tezzeret Agent of Bolas
4. Domri Rade
5. Sorin Solemn Visitor

Angry Grimace

I'm looking forward to setting money on fire at GP Columbus where I assume they'll have Eternal Masters drafts since that's the release weekend.

Honestly after MM2015 I'm leery of the product type. 10 bucks a booster is ridiculous and if set design is anything like that set, its going to be relatively easy to buy a pack or two or enter a sealed and play a few matches (which is all I'm looking for as a non-Legacy player).

ultron87

Honestly after MM2015 I'm leery of the product type. 10 bucks a booster is ridiculous and if set design is anything like that set, its going to be relatively easy to buy a pack or two or enter a sealed and play a few matches (which is all I'm looking for as a non-Legacy player).

Yeah, I'm not looking for a ton of value or to build a legacy deck or anything. I'll play a draft or three to play a weird complicated format and to get the pack cracking joy of the Force of Will/Wasteland lottery. No desire to buy a box unless friends wanted to go in on one together to draft.

ironmang

I'll probably jump in a draft or two but mostly want to get some matches in with my legacy deck in preparation for the GP. This is assuming they actually do MSRP drafts with reasonable prize support. If not I'll just wait until the following week and do one at a local store.

Pretty sure it's PES so $50 drafts wouldn't suprise me.

ultron87

Yeah, that's a good point. I'll have to check for what the price ends up being before driving up from Cincy. I have a free place to stay so it wouldn't be the biggest investment to drive up, but since I'm not playing in the main event it'd be dumb to drive up for badly priced sides.

Given the 20 dollar SOI drafts they have listed I probably shouldn't have hopes particularly high.

ironmang

One thing I can say for PES is at least they get decent art for playmats. By Sunday at GP NY vendors were only giving $3 for that playmat. Not that I care all that much about playmats but it's nice having one that another human would actually purchase from me instead of it sitting in a drawer until I quit magic.

Santiako

mtg-gp-manchester-playmat.png

GP Manchester's playmat is pretty nice, it will also be my first playmat, as I refuse to pay 20 bucks for one.

Don't think I knew it back then, I still remember losing a round at the TSP prerelease because I thought for creatures to lose summoning sickness I had to own them for my and my opponents turn and so played my lethal flash creature mainphase instead of EOT where it was killed at sorcery speed.

Angry Grimace

Why would you expect a lot of BW Control? Is that deck good now?

IDK I just play GW Tokens at everything. Fuck it, I just play the most popular deck now.

Why would you expect a lot of BW Control? Is that deck good now?

IDK I just play GW Tokens at everything. Fuck it, I just play the most popular deck now.

There were a couple BW and Esper control players at the pptq I went to. None of them made top 8, though. From what I could tell our top 8 was Sultai midrange, Bant Coco x2, GW tokens x2, Goggles Ramp, Abzan midrange and I dunno what the last one was.

OnPoint

I got mine for like 2 bux each preoder....god damn I'm old now. :(

I got back in right after New Phyrexia came out and didn't really get into singles buying until they were long rotated out. Just stupidly never thought about picking them up until they shot up too far to grab. Saw these listed and was like "Well, it's better than $20 a pop and I don't think they're coming down much farther than this".

How stupid do you think I feel for not picking up all the Ancient Tombs and Lion's Eye Diamonds I could back in the day? People hated those cards.

I think Sam Black is my MTG Spirit Animal. I want to bring his Seasons Past/Great Aurora deck to FNM tomorrow so bad. But I also want to play my Always Watching/Ojutai deck.

Remember when Travis Woo was just a kooky brewer who everyone loved?

Now, he is back, asking the tough questions, like "Do we need to be more tolerant of Hate Speach to encourage Free Speach? and "Milo Yiannopolos is a super brilliant person"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdmvIJlCHLc

I remember when the thing I remembered him for was that he encouraged going down stairs backwards. Incidentally, that wasn't long before his "Mein Kampf had some interesting ideas" thing.
I'm thinking of the right person, right?

I remember when the thing I remembered him for was that he encouraged going down stairs backwards. Incidentally, that wasn't long before his "Mein Kampf had some interesting ideas" thing.
I'm thinking of the right person, right?

Pretty sure his "Honored Hierarch is the new Delver" was what broke the camel's back

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Travis Woo is that one guy we all knew in HS and/or college that seemed alright at first, but slowly smoked themselves into dumbassery.

OnPoint

SaffronOlive now fills the "quirky deckbuilder that's fun to listen to" role, except Saffron doesn't get annoyingly repetitive and isn't (so far) actually insane.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
SaffronOlive now fills the "quirky deckbuilder that's fun to listen to" role, except Saffron doesn't get annoyingly repetitive and isn't (so far) actually insane.

That too. And Saffron doesn't get salty when his jank doesn't work out. Travis would get super salty and affect this lame surfer vibe punctuated by little jabs of assholery. The longer the stream went and the longer his loss streak, the more the mask fell until he was thinking Hitler was an alright guy.

Now that I think of it, Marshall is my street fighter skill equivalent in MTG. He always seems to know what he's talking about, but then makes decisions in direct opposition to his own advice. My group always makes fun of me for how bad I am at SF4 compared to how well I understand the game. Total commentator status. I'm kind of ok at SFV, though.

Travis Woo is that one guy we all knew in HS and/or college that seemed alright at first, but slowly smoked themselves into dumbassery.

Man, I know so many people like that. One dude got an AA degree before graduating high school and the next thing I know he gets kicked out of his apartment for drug abuse.

Ashodin

I'm working on a Project, a YouTube Magic Show. I want to create something that entertains and educates as well as is unique in the Magic YouTube space.

If any of you guys want to assist, with like graphics or whatnot, let me know.

So after a week of getting this setup with social media tie-ins and whatnot, I'm soft-launching the channel this weekend, with videos being put up all next week.

4btHnwt.png

It's a fictitious channel about a Lab Tech for the Riptide Project that is sending out transmissions and they end up on YouTube. I'll be talking about various planes and story events as well as eventually talking about cards themselves.

There's nothing there now on the YouTube, but I have several links:

http://www.facebook.com/riptideprolab
http://www.twitter.com/riptideprolab (Got some stuff here, just amusing things that happen day to day at the Lab)
https://goo.gl/Oiuvfs (YouTube)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom