• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

I'm confused. How is that card any worse than FoF? Maybe my morning sleepy eyes have gotten me.
With FoF you choose the pile, so it's basically this card.

Image.ashx

DrArchon

Very cool, but I agree with the comment stating that this will be a nightmare for new players.

Letting your opponent choose is a nice way to limit the power of the card, but that just means it probably won't make any huge splashes competitively. Probably a decent way to get Delirium up and running in limited though.

DrArchon

Now I can't stop thinking about playing this in EDH and having X=30 or something and grinding the game to a halt with all of the thinking and metagaming going on.

Now that's a nightmare.

El Topo

Yeah I'm actually legit concerned about this card. I think it may be banned eventually, and not for obvious reasons. We'll see.

The speed and flexibility are great, graveyard interaction cards might make it even better, but letting your opponent make the penultimate choice should at least make it difficult to just include the card in an arbitrary control deck. I doubt it will be great.

Yeah I'm actually legit concerned about this card. I think it may be banned eventually, and not for obvious reasons. We'll see.

I find that unlikely. Steam Augury didn't exactly make a big splash and if they were worried about this they'd have made it an X cost Truth or Tale. Letting an opponent choose really limits the power of the card and until X starts getting larger it's fairly easy to get denied a desirable result. There are better ways to dump cards into your graveyard.

DrArchon

Steam Augury saw exactly 0 constructed play. Epiphany will see the same.

Yeah, you need to spend 5 mana on this to equal Steam Augury, and even then that's not great. You'd have to ramp up to really high numbers to get a decent card out of this, and at that point you're better off with just normal draw spells, like Dragonlord's Perogative.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Olivia is really good though while simultaneously being a lot worse than Olivia Voldaren

DrArchon

Wow! Really strong pair of cards right there!

I can't believe how that loyalty value is on Jace. Can he seriously bounce two guys and stay alive as long as he doesn't take damage? Nuts. Scry -> Draw seems really good too.

Olivia looks great as well, especially with that aggressive 3 mana CMC. Too bad she can't ever give herself haste, but then we'd be looking at a real constructed monster. Good thing her ability doesn't cost any mana to use. Wouldn't want to spend anything else extra while chaining Madness dudes off of each other.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
everytime I hear "new Jace" I keep hoping for an Architect of Thought reprint

Angry Grimace

Olivia was supposed to be gender switched Dracula

ultron87

I guess I'd rather just play Ob Nixilis for most of what Jace does? If you have the black, obviously. Being able to bounce creatures twice using starting loyalty is nice though.

DrArchon

That Jace is very good. Then again, I thought that Ob Nixilis Reignited was bonkers, and he's seen zero play, and this is very similar to that.

Well, Jace's +1 is just straight up better, and -2 is way better than -3 with that loyalty. Plus he's blue, which is never a bad thing.

I can see Jace doing quite will competitively (shocker).

I guess I'd rather just play Ob Nixilis for most of what Jace does? If you have the black, obviously. Being able to bounce creatures twice using starting loyalty is nice though.

Yeah - it means that you can tap out for it, bounce a creature, let them replay the creature, then bounce it again with mana up. Then you can start drawing cards.

I think it's a really good Standard-playable planeswalker - it just needs the right shell.

Firemind

Jace's ultimate is much better though and scrying is obviously better than losing a life.

You're right though, the design is so uninspired. I was expecting more than Nixon 2.0.

OnPoint

nIi29uF.png

Confimed alive via art on Sorin's emo art.

Until Nahiri harbrings her death or planar tears her in half or some dumb shit because she's a vengeful old walker.
ok probably not really

C'mon people, there will certainly be another Tamiyo card at some point. But anyone who honestly thought Jace, Face of Shadows, wouldn't get a card was fooling themselves.

DrArchon

Wow, Sigarda ain't looking so hot anymore. Losing her hexproof is a huge blow, not to mention that she needs mana and cards to make hexproof 1/1s.

Probably fine for an EDH brew and an obvious limited bomb, but yeah, I can't see her doing anything big in constructed.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Huge fan of this set so far. Some powerful cards and some really awesome design. Refreshing after the clunker that was the last block. Wasn't a big fan of Innistrad but I like how they're doing more this time with transform. Also love how much worse this Jace is than JTMS and its still good.

y2dvd

This set is looking so good so far. All mythic looks pretty playable to me. All these discard mechanics means mana flooding gets a little worse. Just hold onto some lands to discard with late game.

Angry Grimace

Wow, Sigarda ain't looking so hot anymore. Losing her hexproof is a huge blow, not to mention that she needs mana and cards to make hexproof 1/1s.

Probably fine for an EDH brew and an obvious limited bomb, but yeah, I can't see her doing anything big in constructed.

She's probably a Human tribal lord since from a generic midrange perspective there's no real reason to play Sigarda over Avacyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom