• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

MjFrancis

risefromthetides1.jpg

Rise From the Tides
5U
Sorcery
For each instant or sorcery in your graveyard, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wonder if and when we're getting to the madness cards that are worth casting =P

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Uncharted Realms, Magic Story

* Jace rides through the woods of Innistrad on a horse. He has acquired a new coat. He's telling his guide all about this trials and tribulations with Liliana Vess much like an annoying guy at a bar. The guide gets so annoyed by this he turns into a werewolf and tries to live the dream of murdering Jace. Jace tries to use illusions on the werewolf pack that shows up, but it doesn't work, so he creates solid Phantasmal Bears and hits them, which also doesn't really work. He then invades the werewolf's mind and makes them fight each other before reaching the gates of his destination and his his telekinesis, a power he didn't have last week, to unlock it and keep the last werewolf away.

* Jace finds himself surrounded by zombies, who take him to their master, Liliana. Lili is in full-on smuglord mode and tells Jace how much he sucks and how she refuses his help. Jace tells her about the Gatewatch and admits she probably doesn't give a fuck. Jace is correct: Lili doesn't give a fuck. He tells her that he needs to find Sorin Markov, and she sells Sorin as the biggest badass ever who could and would kill them both. Jace says "fine, fuck you I'm heading for Markov Manor." Lili gets upset because Markov Manor is full of the bad guy vampires but Jace is planning to go there anyways. She tries to intimidate him with a zombie attack, which doesn't really work. He says he's going anyways, and she tells him to stay the night, which causes Jace to immediately get hopeful he's gonna score. Instead he has to sleep in a dungeon.

OnPoint

Uncharted Realms, Magic Story

* Jace rides through the woods of Innistrad on a horse. He has acquired a new coat. He's telling his guide all about this trials and tribulations with Liliana Vess much like an annoying guy at a bar. The guide gets so annoyed by this he turns into a werewolf and tries to live the dream of murdering Jace. Jace tries to use illusions on the werewolf pack that shows up, but it doesn't work, so he creates solid Phantasmal Bears and hits them, which also doesn't really work. He then invades the werewolf's mind and makes them fight each other before reaching the gates of his destination and his his telekinesis, a power he didn't have last week, to unlock it and keep the last werewolf away.

* Jace finds himself surrounded by zombies, who take him to their master, Liliana. Lili is in full-on smuglord mode and tells Jace how much he sucks and how she refuses his help. Jace tells her about the Gatewatch and admits she probably doesn't give a fuck. Jace is correct: Lili doesn't give a fuck. He tells her that he needs to find Sorin Markov, and she sells Sorin as the biggest badass ever who could and would kill them both. Jace says "fine, fuck you I'm heading for Markov Manor." Lili gets upset because Markov Manor is full of the bad guy vampires but Jace is planning to go there anyways. She tries to intimidate him with a zombie attack, which doesn't really work. He says he's going anyways, and she tells him to stay the night, which causes Jace to immediately get hopeful he's gonna score. Instead he has to sleep in a dungeon.

You've summed it up nicely, but I especially enjoyed the bold parts.

Angry Grimace

I don't think Jace is very good. 5 mana is a weird spot that they haven't figured out in design where its a lot less good than 4 mana walkers and don't turn games around or win them the way 6 mana walkers do. Like there's nothing wrong with his design, it just screams "will see as much play as Ob Nixilis" because it does basically the same thing with a few knobs turned here and there.

Except Ob Nixilis has one obvious advantage: Ob Nixilis can be on the battlefield at the same time as Jace, Telepath Unbound.

DrArchon

She's probably a Human tribal lord since from a generic midrange perspective there's no real reason to play Sigarda over Avacyn.

You'd definitely want Avacyn along with Sigarda just so you have some defense against board wipes (except that new exiling one). I guess there would be worse curve toppers for GW Humans, and having a steady stream of dudes would be nice even if each one isn't cheap, but giving random 1/1s hexproof seems worthless.

I'm gonna need to see better human lords before passing judgement.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";198463063]
falkenrathgorgerskyx7.jpg
heiroffalkenrath.jpg

en_B6wMNczzq2.png
635640885440301146rusqz.jpeg

105369poz7k.jpg
imageb6ab9.png
[/QUOTE]

The problem here is that people keep reading discard as a positive on the assumption you can cast Madness, but there's only 4 copies of Gorger in your deck, and if you don't have it, discard is as bad as it is in any set.

Hence why I said I was hoping to see the good Madness cards (none of the ones we've seen are rare, I'm sure there are some)

Santiako

New Olivia is awesome, new Jace is pretty good (will probably see a ton of play when baby Jace rotates) and new Sigarda is weird.

Jhriad

Oh right. Otherwise it's a cantrip for one mana. Can't have that now can we?

Does it actually net you a card or would there be a pile of 0 in addition to the pile of 1 since it specifies that you make two piles regardless of the number of cards? Unless you meant one generic mana in addition to the blue.

The problem here is that people keep reading discard as a positive on the assumption you can cast Madness, but there's only 4 copies of Gorger in your deck, and if you don't have it, discard is as bad as it is in any set.

Discarding also helps Delirium so it's not just a combination with Madness. I don't know that we've seen many constructed playable Delirium cards though. Maybe To The Slaughter, Topplegeist, Pick the Brain, and Invasive Surgery if Sorceries are common enough. Is that it?

Firemind

Does it actually net you a card or would there be a pile of 0 in addition to the pile of 1 since it specifies that you make two piles regardless of the number of cards? Unless you meant one generic mana in addition to the blue.
If your opponent misclicks and chooses the pile with the one card, then yes, it nets you a card. :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
5 mana for a draw/bounce engine I dunno. Arlinn seems better.

Wichu

Is running both Jaces viable? VP is generally better, especially with madness/delirium, but when he flips you can't play new Jace without sacrificing one.

I can definitely see decks forgoing new Jace while VP is legal.

Angry Grimace

jaceunravelerofsecrets.jpg

this is bananas right?

If U/W is the control deck of choice, maybe, but even then I would suspect they'd prefer to just drop Ojutai (whose damage trigger is better than Jace's +1 and does 5 damage). If you're U/B, I think Ob Nixilis is better because Ob Nixilis doesn't kill your Jace, Telepath Unbound.

In either case I don't think he's great. Ob Nixilis barely saw play as it is.

Jhriad

In either case I don't think he's great. Ob Nixilis barely saw play as it is.

To be fair to Ob, he has only existed in a format where everyone is running a billion colors splashing for all the highest impact cards so the double black is a slight drawback. He'll probably see more play post-rotation than he did before.

To be fair to Ob, he has only existed in a format where everyone is running a billion colors splashing for all the highest impact cards so the double black is a slight drawback. He'll probably see more play post-rotation than he did before.

Ob Nixils is great. He crushes midrange decks like nothing else.

Angry Grimace

To be fair to Ob, he has only existed in a format where everyone is running a billion colors so the double black is a slight drawback. He'll probably see more play post-rotation than he did before.

Yup, but I think Ob will see more play than Jace will in the upcoming standard (there's not a lot of spoiled cards that would realistically influence what they do, they're really similar). The only real play I'm seeing between them is that I guess if your'e W/U you could bounce your own Reflector Mage to troll people.

I really want to like this Jace, as he has some pretty good abilities and clearly isn't The Living Guildpact reborn. But as a 5 drop he just feels like he needs to do more faster than what he actually does.

If U/W is the control deck du jour, maybe, but even then I would suspect they'd prefer to just drop Ojutai. If you're U/B, I think Ob Nixilis is better because Ob Nixilis doesn't kill your Jace, Telepath Unbound.

It's a weird interaction, but it's likely true even though Jace, Blue Ob Nixilis is clearly better than actual Ob Nixilis. Well, it's probably the case that you don't want to run Ob Nixilis either, but that's neither here nor there.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
They were probably terrified of printing another broken Jace in a standard format that already has a $100 Jace.

Angry Grimace

They were probably terrified of printing another broken Jace in a standard format that already has a $100 Jace.

My guess is that they didn't know Baby Jace was a $100 card when they printed this one.

I mean, Baby Jace has no actual reason to be $100. It just is because FUCK YEA CAPITALISM #MTGFINANCE

My guess is that they didn't know Baby Jace was a $100 card when they printed this one.

I mean, Baby Jace has no actual reason to be $100. It just is because FUCK YEA CAPITALISM #MTGFINANCE

It's the only "real" mythic from a core set. I would definitely expect it to be expensive, but you're right that it's currently inflated.

Angry Grimace

It's the only "real" mythic from a core set. I would definitely expect it to be expensive, but you're right that it's currently inflated.

IDK was Origins draft that much less attractive than anything else? It didn't feel all that Core Set-y to me. It was a weird format, I guess.

Xis

How much do you think JVP will drop when it rotates out of standard? (I've been thinking of collecting Origins, and not even going to start if I have to spend $100 on one card to complete a set)

Angry Grimace

It also can't be reprinted easily at all.

I guess I just don't see it. You don't even need it in some other format because its not that good. Like, its "good" in Grixis Control, but its Grixis Control. The deck was on the low end of Tier 2 even before Eye of Ugin was even seeing play in something other than Tron.

How much do you think JVP will drop when it rotates out of standard? (I've been thinking of collecting Origins, and not even going to start if I have to spend $100 on one card to complete a set)

IDK I'm no finance expert. Price memory is a real thing.

Firemind

Ob Nixilis can't really be played together with Vindicate lite and Painful Truths. Score one for Jace!

On the other hand Baby Jace wrecks BatJace.

Angry Grimace

Ob Nixilis can't really be played together with Vindicate lite and Painful Truths. Score one for Jace!

On the other hand Baby Jace wrecks BatJace.

I don't know, it depends on how much incidental lifegain they randomly throw around this set. They've been doing that a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom