• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

I wanna figure out a way to make that work, but Pyromancer's Ascension just does the job better all around even though it has the initial setup.

7HMeUs0.png

seems terrible but I love the humor in its name.

Eww, just eww. There was a time in Magic where this kind of effect might have been able to do some amount of work in a Standard environment. That time is very much not now.

Maybe it gets broken in Legacy five years from now but it's unplayable in Standard and somehow even more unplayable in EDH. Might be funny in limited if you can draft 5+ copies of a card (Consuming Sinkhole style) though.

OnPoint

Maybe it gets broken in Legacy five years from now but it's unplayable in Standard and somehow even more unplayable in EDH. Might be funny in limited if you can draft 5+ copies of a card (Consuming Sinkhole style) though.

You still pay the costs though. What spell is going to be cheap but worth casting five times? Or what spell that's worth casting five times will you have the mana to pay five times over? It's not like you have Lightning Bolt or Serum Visions in this draft format (or so we think). I think the card is just a stinker.

Xis

You still pay the costs though. What spell is going to be cheap but worth casting five times? Or what spell that's worth casting five times will you have the mana to pay five times over? It's not like you have Lightning Bolt or Serum Visions in this draft format (or so we think). I think the card is just a stinker.

Maybe we will see a 1-mana cantrip like Slip Through Space?

In draft? Literal nothing.

In Standard? Probably nothing.

In Modern? It's at least interesting, but Pyromancer's Ascension is just going to be better I would imagine. Ascension lets you store up value before unleashing it, whereas this requires you to have the mana open immediately.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Well I do have a delver shell, but I don't see me shelling out the money for the landbase just yet.

they are at ~ €50 atm.

We've already seen the high point of the card, pricewise. I'd personally only hold it if A) you're for sure going to be playing standard, or B) can wait out the modern turbulence. When it settles down, Jace will find a spot again in modern. It only doesn't look that way right now because of the twin format earthquakes of Twin and Eldrazi.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

THE DREAM

Turn 1 Lightning Bolt
Turn 2 Lightning Bolt Lightning Bolt
Turn 3 Harness the Storm
Turn 4 Lightning Bolt Lightning Bolt Lightning Bolt
Turn 5 Snapcaster Mage, Lightning Bolt Lightning Bolt Lightning Bolt

Turn 1 Lightning Bolt
Turn 2 Lightning Bolt Lightning Bolt
Turn 3 Harness the Storm
Turn 4 Lightning Bolt Lightning Bolt Lightning Bolt
Turn 5 Snapcaster Mage, Lightning Bolt Lightning Bolt Lightning Bolt

Nope. It says target card so just a single copy. Also only from hand, so flashback is a no go.

It's really garbage all around. It only can be "copied" once and only when cast from your hand. That's no fun for anybody.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nope. It says target card so just a single copy.

No, the thing I missed was "from your hand" which is lame.

This is the card I will open a copy of when I buy a single pack when I'm at target and just throw away instead of even bothering to take it back to my bulk box.

No, the thing I missed was "from your hand" which is lame.

This is the card I will open a copy of when I buy a single pack when I'm at target and just throw away instead of even bothering to take it back to my bulk box.

And the "from your hand" clause means you can't even use it to cast Madness cards since they're cast from exile now.

Man lost Ravnica draft in round 1 due to a misplay, pretty much throwing away 10 tickets and I just needed 10 playpoints for another draft T_T.

Didn't help that my opponent drew all gas while I drew combat tricks that are little helpful in getting through those last 2 damage. Boros Guildmage must have been a dumb card in limited.

Jhriad

7HMeUs0.png

seems terrible but I love the humor in its name.

I could see it finding a niche/sideboard slot in some deck in Standard. It allows you to cast the stuff you pitch to Madness or other discard effects well enough. Still need to see more of those cards though.

This would allow you to cast the Sorcery from the graveyard at Instant speed since it triggers when you 'cast' the first, right? If so, it could be interesting with something like Timely Reinforcements as a form of grindy inevitability in something like Jeskai Control. (That probably wouldn't work unless you were real far behind.) It also works well with Thing in the Ice. Seems too slow but I'm sure some folks will have fun with it in casual brews.

EDIT: Went from "Huh, that's interesting." to "Welp, that's shit" real fast in my head. Heh.

Firemind

Man lost Ravnica draft in round 1 due to a misplay, pretty much throwing away 10 tickets and I just needed 10 playpoints for another draft T_T.

Didn't help that my opponent drew all gas while I drew combat tricks that are little helpful in getting through those last 2 damage. Boros Guildmage must have been a dumb card in limited.
oh baby ravnica drafts

W447

I'm actually super digging the new Jace, minus that Ult being stupid. Kind of wish we'd get a Jace that actually matched to his powers in lore and not just generic Blue mage. He's a mind mage, so have an ability that lets you see cards in your opponents hands. Like Gitaxian Probe, but without the card draw or something. Have an illusion ability that makes a token that must block.

I mean, they keep on mentioning in UR how Jace is about having plans, making illusions, and reading minds, so why Jace is Captain NO is baffling to me.

I feel like if a much better deck builder than me put some time into Noyan Dar/Jeskai Ascendancy they might have something. I just killed a guy the turn I put Noyan on the board thanks to all the one mana cantrips from OGW and finishing up with a surged Crush of Tentacles. Now granted it was turn 8 and I did nothing up to that point but put Ascendancy on the board and durdle but man, going from zero to victory in one main phase all while keeping mana for Dispel open seems too powerful to not be exploitable somehow.

Haines

Banned
Beer. Pizza. "Soi up to now" proxies out limited.

Holy shit that was a fun afternoon.

Equipping that transforming weapon to those mercenaries equals 7 attack first strike

That ended some games lol

I played a blue green deck and it seemed to do OK with tempo

Oh that 3 mana blue common that taps a creature and that creature stays tapped...sooo good. Won me a game.

Oh and I'm pretty sure that magnifying glass is pretty bad. 4 mana to get a clue. And 2 to pop the clue feels to slow.
Looove this set.

Ashodin

Yo charlequin, ok about tabletop games, let's say I wanted to start a Final Fantasy play by post, do I start that in OT or community?

secondly, I don't see a signet up there?

Angry Grimace

I haven't done Ravnica draft ever so I just picked a random clan I had a signet for and hoped people would keep passing me Lightning Helix but Radiance seems pretty horrible and random

Angry Grimace

IDK I guess I got a bunch of cards on color, but a lot of my creatures are random filler shit because I didn't know what to do and commited to the entire color pair early and have no idea if I was supposed to splash or what. I just wish I got some of the double strike boros swiftblade dudes to put the Sunforger on

Clipboardimage2016-03-16152437.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom