• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Yo that list seems cray

Another Weekend Watercooler tonight!

aRlKvj9.png

Also favorite nuke explosion arts go

156.jpg

So gud

Yeef

And then Dragons of Tarkir destroyed them. Man, Wizards is really dedicated to ruining their interesting settings.
They planted the seeds in Dragons to imply that the clans aren't gone completely, just greatly diminished and underground. Next time we go back, we're almost certain to see the clans in some form.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Some guy on MODO just pulled a God's Beard and got annihilated by his own Mindwrack Demons. Cast 2 and was stuck on 3.

Been trying to run some janky Graveblade Marauder + Behind the Scenes shitlist on the MODO rando rooms. Not much of a Standard person, but I really like that Marauder for some reason.

Anyway. I was trying mono-Black but it's hard to fill your yard with only Black. Have 31 creatures, 21 land, and 8 spells (4 Behind the Scenes, 4 Corpse Churn).

Blue seems logical for something like Forgotten Creation that let's you blast through cards? I dunno, kinda wacky obvs. I suppose Green, but I don't want to muddy it up by hurting the mana and including a bunch of enchantments etc. Maybe that's flawed thinking though.

So far, I've won 1 in 15 games? lol
Connected with Marauder a couple times though, which is fun. Blood-Chin Rager giving Menace helps a bit.

Ashodin

Been trying to run some janky Graveblade Marauder + Behind the Scenes shitlist on the MODO rando rooms. Not much of a Standard person, but I really like that Marauder for some reason.

Anyway. I was trying mono-Black but it's hard to fill your yard with only Black. Have 31 creatures, 21 land, and 8 spells (4 Behind the Scenes, 4 Corpse Churn).

Blue seems logical for something like Forgotten Creation that let's you blast through cards? I dunno, kinda wacky obvs. I suppose Green, but I don't want to muddy it up by hurting the mana and including a bunch of enchantments etc. Maybe that's flawed thinking though.

So far, I've won 1 in 15 games? lol
Connected with Marauder a couple times though, which is fun. Blood-Chin Rager giving Menace helps a bit.

Black-Green. You can Gather the Pack and fail to find.

lGHK0NB.png

card template I'm using for my video today

Wichu

I lucksacked the shit out of a Sultai Seasons Past deck last FNM.

I got stuck on land for a bit, then he hit the loop and stripped my hand. He had a full hand and 10+ lands while I had no hand and 5 lands. Neither of us had any nonland permanents.

Somehow I won. I'm still not convinced that was meant to be possible.

Game 2 he flooded out hard and didn't put up much of a fight.

The previous time I played him I topdecked two planeswalkers in a row after he stripped my hand of all spells. This is definitely karma for the one time he topdecked Dissolve to resolve Ugin when I otherwise had the game locked :)

Okay, I'm curious if people can complete this accurately in the allotted time. Be honest!

I'm an old-ass nerd who remembers useless stuff and I still drew a blank a few times

Okay, I'm curious if people can complete this accurately in the allotted time. Be honest!

I'm an old-ass nerd who remembers useless stuff and I still drew a blank a few times

I checked out of MtG for long stretches and managed to get 90%. Stuff like the Alara block where the symbols are basically all the same thing tripped me up. Everything before Onslaught I have down cold though.

Wichu

I checked out of MtG for long stretches and managed to get 90%. Stuff like the Alara block where the symbols are basically all the same thing tripped me up. Everything before Onslaught I have down cold though.

I'm the opposite. I started recently, so I know all the Modern sets mostly from my friends' collections, but I have no idea which way around the Urza block symbols are or some of the older sets like Prophecy and Exodus.

I'm the opposite. I started recently, so I know all the Modern sets mostly from my friends' collections, but I have no idea which way around the Urza block symbols are or some of the older sets like Prophecy and Exodus.

I remember exodus since the first time I looked the set up a bridge made little sense to me for a set called exodus.

I did it while eating lunch earlier. I only got 83% with about 5 minutes left, but my experience with anything that's not in the modern card frame is so low that I guess I should be happy to have gotten that far.

Ashodin

6:21 40/40 was my first record.

I remember exodus since the first time I looked the set up a bridge made little sense to me for a set called exodus.

Really? Crossing over into Dominaria away from Rath doesn't count as "bridging the gap"? They didn't make it to Dominaria (they ended up on Mercadia) but w/e

Ashodin

If you lived through the story surebut not if a set is called exodus and you see a bridge.

Back then they were heavily invested in tying everything into the story, even set symbols. I mean it's not that much different now, just the symbols are more a "symbol" hur hur of what is going on instead of an exact thing.

Mixed up the symbols for Odyssey and Nemesis

Interesting thing, most people missed the Nemesis one. I came in RIGHT after Prophecy/Nemesis, so I remember those symbols the most. Nemesis has the cognitive attribution of Nemesis = Axe = Crovax's Axe, who was hunting them in Mercadia

As for Portal and 2nd Age, Remind yourself that Portal 1 has the weird fully colored white circle (which you can think of it as a spoked wheel) and Portal Second Age is a pentagon shape (reminds me of L5R).

Firemind

I couldn't even finish on time and barely got half. I know the symbol but every time I went looking for it, I find the other sets in the block first. :lol

Some of the Zendikar, Innistrad and Theros symbols look super similar too.
16px-BFZ_symbol.png
18px-WWK_symbol.png
18px-ZEN_symbol.png

24px-BNG_symbol.png
21px-THS_symbol.png
26px-JOU_symbol.png

And I never know which Kamigawa set is which.

Back then they were heavily invested in tying everything into the story, even set symbols. I mean it's not that much different now, just the symbols are more a "symbol" hur hur of what is going on instead of an exact thing.

Nowadays they like building upon the symbols throughout a block and while that makes it easy to spot the affiliation it makes it a pain to discern them from each other. I like the old style more personally.

The new ones create monstrosities like EMA and Dragon's Maze.

And I never know which Kamigawa set is which.

theros threw me off as well but Kamigawa is easy gate, shuriken, lantern.

Ashodin

Zendikar is on purpose, and Theros is just maddening. I figured out the trick for all three though.

Ready for me to blow your mind on Innistrad? They're two back to back Herons.

Theros - Lantern (I know that's not what it is, but imagining as something else helps)
Born of the Gods - Spark of Flame (For the Lantern, duh)
Journey Into Nyx - Downward Arrow (To symbolize the Underworld)

EDIT: actually now that I think about it, Theros could be a gumball machine

With a lot of these the trick is to remember what they're supposed to represent. With Alara, the first set is five separate bars, the second set is five pieces coming together, the third one is five bars all joined together.

I can't imagine anyone who wasn't around for it could remember the Urza's block symbols correctly, there's no obvious order at all.

Some of the Zendikar, Innistrad and Theros symbols look super similar too.

With Zendikar it's reasonably easy since it's a sequence of a hedron opening: closed -> cracked -> fully open.

With Theros, it's the symbol that goes with the plane first, then the villain, then the two joined together. (RTR has a similar progression.)

Innistrad is tough since neither one of those symbols means absolutely anything at all.

Ashodin

I can't imagine anyone who wasn't around for it could remember the Urza's block symbols correctly, there's no obvious order at all.

This one's easy.

Most of the really broken shit showed up in Saga. The cogwheels turn on player's minds.

Cogwheels

Legacy added some stuff, but it never really hammered away the combo problem.

Hammer

Destiny finally sealed the deal, with too many experiments gone wrong, fresh from the beaker.

Beaker.

innistrad stuff

I still have absolutely no idea what the fuck Dark Ascension is supposed to be. A vampire house symbol?

Firemind

With Zendikar it's reasonably easy since it's a sequence of a hedron opening: closed -> cracked -> fully open.
Yeah, but when you're trying to find the correct image out of 90 images, you don't think: "Oh, Worldwake is the second set of Zendikar block, I should find a semi-opened hedron." No, you find a hedron. And even so, Battle for Zendikar is kind of open?

Yeah, but when you're trying to find the correct image out of 90 images, you don't think: "Oh, Worldwake is the second set of Zendikar block, I should find a semi-opened hedron." No, you find a hedron.

~if you've wasted a surprisingly large amount of time getting good at taking Sporcle quizzes like I have you do~

Theros - Lantern (I know that's not what it is, but imagining as something else helps)
Born of the Gods - Spark of Flame (For the Lantern, duh)
Journey Into Nyx - Downward Arrow (To symbolize the Underworld)

Journey into Nyx is the Born of the Gods symbol and the Theros symbol overlaid on each other (same trick as Dragon's Maze).

bigkrev

MpmropT.png

Missed Khans of Tarkir (I picked the Dragons symbol), Gatecrash (I chose the Dragon's Maze Symbol), Shadowmore (I picked the Scourge symbol), Invasion (I clicked on the Battle for Zendikar one because it looked just like the Invasion one!), and the Shadows over Innestrad one (I had no idea what the symbol was lol)

Kinda surprised most of my missed stuff was new!

Journey into Nyx is the Born of the Gods symbol and the Theros symbol overlaid on each other (same trick as Dragon's Maze).

oh I thought it went from complete to starting to crumble / burn and then be wide open. That'd have been much better storytelling. Just being overlaid is awful compared and in the case of Dragon's Maze a disaster.

Yeef

Black-Green. You can Gather the Pack and fail to find.

lGHK0NB.png

card template I'm using for my video today
This doesn't actually work. When it transforms, it'll immediately go to the graveyard for having 0 loyalty counters. The -6 should probably also be an emblem and specify clue tokens you control.

87/90 Timer 03:26

Messed up on the Urza's sets, as expected and misclicked on one that I knew. Try as I might, I can never come up with a good way to remember which Urza set is which symbol (or the order of the sets for that matter).

Son1x

Got 81/90 (90%).
Did terrible in Invasion, Odyssey and Onslaught blocks. It was right around when I stopped playing and unlike Mirrodin and the modern bordered editions, I don't see or play with these cards much.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";205658517]First one I got was Prophecy and I just closed out of the window.[/QUOTE]

Everyone should remember the Prophecy gemstone so they know what cards to throw in the fucking garbage.

bigkrev

Also, while they were obvious, there never was a 4th edition symbol, and firm edition only has a symbol in simplified Chinese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom