• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously considering getting back into paper Magic. I pretty much exclusively play MTGO and keep a playset of everything in Standard to brew and play with. I can't really afford to have a huge collection of both digital and paper cards and I don't want to cash out of MTGO so I'm considering how I should approach this. Anyone have experience trying to balance digital and paper collections?

Xis

Seriously considering getting back into paper Magic. I pretty much exclusively play MTGO and keep a playset of everything in Standard to brew and play with. I can't really afford to have a huge collection of both digital and paper cards and I don't want to cash out of MTGO so I'm considering how I should approach this. Anyone have experience trying to balance digital and paper collections?

Keep most your cards digital. Do your brewing and testing there. Buy only enough paper cards to build the decks you want to compete with.

(Keeping a playset of standard is crazy expensive in paper; I'm trying to complete a Theros-Khans standard collection as it rotates out and the price drops, and it's still gonna total in the thousands).

Oh cool! I did not know about this!

Yep, original Portal has a bunch of unique art from Chinese artists while Seventh and Eighth Edition have brand-new paintings from some regular Magic artists on a few cards. (I believe every other set that was affected by this policy uses either retouched versions of the regular art or swapped art from another printing of the same card.)

Bandini

Just had an amusing Vintage Cube match (for me at least.)

Game 1, he plays Eureka. It resolves, he plays Emrakul, I play Phantasmal Image as a copy of Emrakul.

Game 2, turn 4, he plays Eureka and puts out Progenitus. I put out Phantasmal Image.

Round 2 was a bit more competitive.

Yeef

I have a crazy idea, but I'm not sure if I'll actually end up doing it.

Create a neural network and feed in only cards from my favorite draft sets. Let it run long enough to get to 360 working, playable cards and then use them to create a cube. At the very least, it could be highly amusing.

Just had an amusing Vintage Cube match (for me at least.)

Game 1, he plays Eureka. It resolves, he plays Emrakul, I play Phantasmal Image as a copy of Emrakul.

Game 2, turn 4, he plays Eureka and puts out Progenitus. I put out Phantasmal Image.

Round 2 was a bit more competitive.

Shouldn't this not work? I thought you couldn't put out a clone with Eureka/Show and Tell and have it copy another thing that was put out by that spell.

Yeef

Shouldn't this not work? I thought you couldn't put out a clone with Eureka/Show and Tell and have it copy another thing that was put out by that spell.
It doesn't work with show and tell, because everything enters at the same time. With Eureka, you take turns putting things into play, so it works fine.

Wichu

oh I thought it went from complete to starting to crumble / burn and then be wide open. That'd have been much better storytelling. Just being overlaid is awful compared and in the case of Dragon's Maze a disaster.

Born of the Gods is Xenagos's horns. Journey into Nyx is Xenagos's horns with the Godsend pierced through them.

I just sifted through all of RoboRosewater's cards and ended up with 279 cards that aren't completely broken, completely useless or pure gibberish (so they either work out of the box, are still playable if you ignore the gibberish or make their intention clear enough that you can rephrase them). So, another 4 or so month and I think there should be enough cards for a complete cube. The exact number may vary depending on how you define "broken" and "useless", but it should be way over 200 either way.

Daedardus

I still like Lorwyn's symbol the most, it's stylish, elegant, easy to see what it represents and ties in nicely to the tribal theme. The rest of the mega block are great too.

I still can't see the herons back to back in Innistrad, looks more like a three headed heron to me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I just sifted through all of RoboRosewater's cards and ended up with 279 cards that aren't completely broken, completely useless or pure gibberish (so they either work out of the box, are still playable if you ignore the gibberish or make their intention clear enough that you can rephrase them). So, another 4 or so month and I think there should be enough cards for a complete cube. The exact number may vary depending on how you define "broken" and "useless", but it should be way over 200 either way.

I've been really really tempted to tamper with my packs next time my friends and I do a chaos draft and stick 2 or 3 Roborosewater cards in each one.

Braids + Green Honden OP

KaiKvto.png

Lucario

Can you post your list? Been planning to do the same thing.

Voror

Just got back into the game, though I suppose I was never that far into it. Last time I played was the early 2000's (2001 or 2002 maybe) with some friends in the neighborhood, but it was never that serious. I think I only ever had a starter deck (black if I remember correctly) and some cards my friends had traded with me. Never played too much and after they left pretty much not at all.

Bunch of people at my new job play together and talking to them made me want to play again and more seriously then I did before. Got directed to a place nearby that hooked me up with a sample deck (Green-Blue) and I picked myself up a toolkit for Shadows.

Still trying relearn everything though thankfully my friends said they play with me and such to get me back up to speed. Been reading some of the materials in the OT and played a bit of the Magic Duels game too.

Commander definitely sounds interesting and something I'd like to try once I've gotten a better handle of things.

I guess I just had some general questions and such, so sorry if these are perhaps a bit silly.

How exactly does Booster Draft work? From what I'd heard it's basically everyone opening a bunch of boosters, picking one card they like out of each one, then passing it down and repeating the process until everyone has 40 cards. Does that sound correct? How exactly does getting land for those decks work then or do you just pull from those boosters since they tend to come with a land?

Would it be worth picking up that toolkit for Origins or some booster packs given they'll be going out soon or still worth it if I wanted to eventually go into Commander? Or might I be better served sticking with Shadows, Oathgate and Zendikar?

I know at some point it may be better to start looking for specific cards though I'm afraid I don't know where to start with that yet. Unless there are specific cards that would be worth looking for? Like the Eldrazi Titan cards or the like?

Anyway, probably rambled long enough but excited to be back into things.

Yeef

How exactly does Booster Draft work? From what I'd heard it's basically everyone opening a bunch of boosters, picking one card they like out of each one, then passing it down and repeating the process until everyone has 40 cards. Does that sound correct? How exactly does getting land for those decks work then or do you just pull from those boosters since they tend to come with a land?
You draft until all the cards are gone, not until you get to 40 cards. Typically, with the current set, each player will have 42 cards at the end of the draft.

Basic lands are typically provided by the store or whoever is hosting the draft; you don't have to draft them. You build a 40-card deck with the cards you drafted and any basic lands you want to add (typically you'll have 23 nonland cards and 17 lands in your deck). Any cards that you drafted, but you aren't using in your deck are considered your sideboard.

Would it be worth picking up that toolkit for Origins or some booster packs given they'll be going out soon or still worth it if I wanted to eventually go into Commander? Or might I be better served sticking with Shadows, Oathgate and Zendikar?

I know at some point it may be better to start looking for specific cards though I'm afraid I don't know where to start with that yet. Unless there are specific cards that would be worth looking for? Like the Eldrazi Titan cards or the like?

If you want to build a Commander deck, you're much better off buying single cards to get exactly what you need. Commander limits you to one copy of each card (instead of the normal limit of 4 copies), so buying boosters means you're likely to end up with a bunch of extra copies of single cards.

If you're not comfortable buying single cards for your commander deck, they do make pre-made commander decks that work well as a starting place. They put out 5 decks each year in November. Buy one of those and then tweak it as you go.

You get basic lands separately, so really you're drafting 22-24 cards from the booster packs. Stores will typically have a big box full of basic lands, and after you finish drafting, you get the relevant ones from there (make sure to return them afterward).

To go into more detail about the draft, each player has three booster packs. Each player opens one, removes any basic lands and tokens/tips (that player keeps them), selects a card, then passes to the next player. This repeats until there are no more cards to pass, whereupon everyone opens a new booster pack. You repeat the selection and passing, except you pass to the player on the other side of the last round (so if you were passing to the right, you now pass to the left). You do this with the third booster pack too, except you're passing back in the direction of the first round (so right, then left, then right).

If your goal is to just get into Commander, then buying Deckbuilder's Toolkits and booster packs isn't a good strategy. Instead, if you don't know how to get started with buying specific cards, then buy one of the prebuilt Commander decks that Wizards releases. Just find any one you like.

The best way to build up a collection in general other than buying individual cards is to go to Draft and Sealed events, since you actually get some gameplay value out of weaker cards that you'd get from booster packs.

Voror

You draft until all the cards are gone, not until you get to 40 cards. Typically, with the current set, each player will have 42 cards at the end of the draft.

Basic lands are typically provided by the store or whoever is hosting the draft; you don't have to draft them. You build a 40-card deck with the cards you drafted and any basic lands you want to add (typically you'll have 23 nonland cards and 17 lands in your deck). Any cards that you drafted, but you aren't using in your deck are considered your sideboard.

You get basic lands separately, so really you're drafting 22-24 cards from the booster packs. Stores will typically have a big box full of basic lands, and after you finish drafting, you get the relevant ones from there (make sure to return them afterward).

To go into more detail about the draft, each player has three booster packs. Each player opens one, removes any basic lands and tokens/tips (that player keeps them), selects a card, then passes to the next player. This repeats until there are no more cards to pass, whereupon everyone opens a new booster pack. You repeat the selection and passing, except you pass to the player on the other side of the last round (so if you were passing to the right, you now pass to the left). You do this with the third booster pack too, except you're passing back in the direction of the first round (so right, then left, then right).

Thanks for the rundown on this. Makes more sense now.

If you want to build a Commander deck, you're much better off buying single cards to get exactly what you need. Commander limits you to one copy of each card (instead of the normal limit of 4 copies), so buying boosters means you're likely to end up with a bunch of extra copies of single cards.

If you're not comfortable buying single cards for your commander deck, they do make pre-made commander decks that work well as a starting place. They put out 5 decks each year in November. Buy one of those and then tweak it as you go.

If your goal is to just get into Commander, then buying Deckbuilder's Toolkits and booster packs isn't a good strategy in general. Instead, if you don't know how to get started with buying specific cards, then buy one of the prebuilt Commander decks that Wizards releases. Just find any one you like.

The best way to build up a collection in general other than buying individual cards is to go to Draft and Sealed events, since you actually get some gameplay value out of weaker cards that you'd get from booster packs.

Thanks for the recommendations on Commander. I do plan on doing regular play too with a sixty card deck as well. I imagine I'll probably pick up one of the prebuilt decks to get started in Commander and then tweak things from there.

I suppose the thing I really need to figure out is what I'd like to focus on for decks. Of the colors, White and Green appeal to me a lot and Red and Blue to a lesser extent. Not sure if Black is really my thing but I'd probably have to experiment with it. Also need to figure what colorless card might be worth getting like the various Eldrazi.

What is Sealed if I may ask?

hermit7

My lgs is having a sealed email event next weekend. 75 for entry doesn't seem too steep and it will be fun to play limited with the set.

At least I will be able to play with it once, doubt I buy a box or anything.

It appears there's a secret message on EMA tokens for Conspiracy 2.

People of the High City
brought joy and relief
to us all. Now, he has
at last passed truly
and forever beyond
wisdom our late king
appointed a successor
.... those years ago; his
with the will and the
to see that Justice
it ....
Long sides :
illegimate, then so too are her
laws. If she is not truly queen, then
.....right
you awakened as unwitting traitors
of upholding law and Order in
Paliano....
as any citizen should
other, make your choice!
-Adriana, captain of the guards

Still some missing lines.

Daedardus

My lgs is having a sealed email event next weekend. 75 for entry doesn't seem too steep and it will be fun to play limited with the set.

At least I will be able to play with it once, doubt I buy a box or anything.

Thunderbird
2UR
Creature - Bird
Flying.
Thunderbird deals damage to players in the form of mail counters.
At the beginning of each end step, whenever a player has 10 or more mail counters, that player loses the game.
"Harry, check your email, you're fired!"
3/3

Outlook
UU
Enchantment
Exile a card from your hand: Put a mail counter on target player. That player may play the card exiled this way. Use this ability only once each turn.
At the beginning of each end step, whenever a player has than or more mail counters, that player loses the game.
Your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready.

traveler

Not Wario
Eldrazi and taxes is pretty fun. Might actually get me into modern. Flickerwisp and wasteland stranger are getting to be good buds.

Daedardus

To be honest, the metagame is so open right now that any deck is viable. Play whatever you like, and if you can play well, you'll do good.

Rooting for my boy, Tom Ross! :)

I was convinced he was going to lose before the match started. Just seems to always happen when I watch him in the Top 8.

Okay, is it just me or does Andrew Boswell just verbally felate Tom Ross every time he's on camera? I had to turn the open off to get away from it and my girlfriend said "Why doesn't he just get Tom's dick in his mouth, it's more efficient that way"

Congrats to Tom Ross on the win, but maaaaaaan. I think it was equally bad, but with more talk about his leather jacket, the last time these two were on commentary at an open.

Got a list?

Creature (10)
4 Spellstutter Sprite
3 Vendilion Clique
3 Mistbind Clique

Sorcery (9)
4 Ancestral Vision
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Thoughtseize

Instant (11)
2 Spell Snare
2 Mana Leak
2 Smother
2 Go for the Throat
2 Cryptic Command
1 Murderous Cut

Artifact (1)
1 Batterskull

Enchantment (4)
4 Bitterblossom

Land (25)
4 Secluded Glen
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Polluted Delta
4 Mutavault
3 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Watery Grave
1 River of Tears
3 Island
1 Swamp

Sideboard (15)
1 Thoughtseize
2 Disfigure
2 Negate
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Slaughter Pact
1 Flashfreeze
1 Damnation
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Sword of War and Peace

hermit7

Thunderbird
2UR
Creature - Bird
Flying.
Thunderbird deals damage to players in the form of mail counters.
At the beginning of each end step, whenever a player has 10 or more mail counters, that player loses the game.
"Harry, check your email, you're fired!"
3/3

Outlook
UU
Enchantment
Exile a card from your hand: Put a mail counter on target player. That player may play the card exiled this way. Use this ability only once each turn.
At the beginning of each end step, whenever a player has than or more mail counters, that player loses the game.
Your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready.

Didn't even notice... Hopefully it is a fun limited environment though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom