• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

I like this one the best

WHERE'S BLUE?
You may have noticed that there aren't many blue cards on my list. While there are plenty of blue cards in Shadows over Innistrad that are cool enough to make the cut in some cubes, blue has a problem in that it has been overpowered for years. Think about the blue cards that are typical in most cubes: Treachery, Counterspell, Consecrated Sphinx, Fact or Fiction. These cards were all too powerful in their respective Standard formats and are usually top picks in most Cube drafts. We just don't see cards anywhere close to this power level in blue anymore. For this reason, it's really hard to find new blue cards for cubes, especially when you are trying to make one-for-one swaps.

"We know, blue fucking sucks in Standard"

Notice the "red cards" are half red only too.

Ashodin

Do you guys think it's highly likely the symbol will be revealed on June 20th? Maro and Jimmy Wong are presenting a card (It's Emrakul)

I need to know for a giveaway contest I'm having.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
EMA box was a bit of a strikeout. I mean, my MM2015 box with nothing but an Emrakul and 1 Remand was worse, but it certainly didn't total up to anything particularly great, even with 4 Mythics, because the set is loaded with mythics not worth anything. (Argothian Enchantress, Chrome Mox, Chrome Mox (Foil), Natural Order).

I guess you could say it was more of a sacrifice bunt.

Magic Story: Stone and Blood - Flashback. Nahiri goes to Innistrad and sees the Helvault. She talks to Sorin, and Sorin says it's possible he didn't get Nahiri's message about the Eldrazi nearly breaking out because of the protections he placed on the plane. He didn't consider it at the time, but he now realizes it was a possibility. Nahiri is angry that he did this without considering the promise he made to protect Zendikar. Sorin tells Nahiri to go bother Ugin instead of him, and he has no patience for this.

Nahiri attacks Sorin, and Sorin says, "It's all on you that we're now enemies." They fight a bit. Nahiri once again asks him to come with her, and he's like, "Now? Can't you wait like... a couple of days?" Nahiri realizes that while sealing the Eldrazi was her life's work, for Sorin, it was just a mild exertion that he stopped caring about once his part in it was over. Nahiri thinks that to make things right, she'll have to defeat Sorin to gain his respect so he'll finally take the situation on Zendikar seriously.

Avacyn attacks her, they fight a bit, Sorin intervenes, and seals Nahiri in the Helvault.

In the Helvault, Nahiri is unable to planeswalk away, or see or hear anything. After a while, she's like, "Oh Sorin, you rapscallion, I think I've learned my lesson. You can let me out now." But he doesn't. To entertain herself, she creates models of places in Zendikar in her mind.

Over time, demons start joining her in the Helvault, though they seem to just be far-off sounds for her. Sometimes they would come close and brush against her, but they never seemed to actually see her. It kept on like this until Avacyn was sealed in the Helvault during the events of original Innistrad, and then the Helvault broke.

When Nahiri is released, she's overwhelmed by the return of light and sound, and she notices that she can no longer will her wounds healed. She's back to having a mortal body, due to the change in the nature of the planeswalker spark. She immediately tries to planeswalk, and while it's harder than it used to be, she succeeds. She returns to Zendikar and finds that the Eldrazi have broken out, and she's all like, "Fuck you Sorin."

Also, we have a new dumb fantasy exclamation, "Stone and sky!"

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
When Nahiri is released, she's overwhelmed by the return of light and sound, and she notices that she can no longer will her wounds healed. She's back to having a mortal body, due to the change in the nature of the planeswalker spark. She immediately tries to planeswalk, and while it's harder than it used to be, she succeeds.
I continue to be surprised at how explicit they make the consequences of the Mending. The whole "change in the nature of planeswalking" always felt like a patch to allow them to print them on cards, and I would have expected them to basically be ignoring the historicity of godlike planeswalkers at this point.

Ashodin

It was used as an example alongside the split cards.

We know there was a test print of a double-sized Endbringer.

BFG flip Emrakul is probably happening.

The fucking salt will be glorious

And my suspicions could be confirmed true - that Eldrazi Titans who are killed release their power into the Blind Eternities, where Emrakul ate it all and became MASSIVE

ultron87

It seems like kind of a long con for Maro to include B.F.G in his speech at GDC in March to then include it in this article to act as a teaser for a thing.

Also I'm having hard time to imagine a version of that pair of cards that is some version of "if you control cards named X + Y, transform and combine them" that isn't a nonbo with Nahiri's ultimate. But hey, it'd certainly be interesting to see.

Ashodin

It seems like kind of a long con for Maro to include B.F.G in his speech at GDC in March to then include it in this article to act as a teaser for a thing.

Also I'm having hard time to imagine a version of that pair of cards that is some version of "if you control cards named X + Y, transform and combine them" that isn't a nonbo with Nahiri's ultimate. But hey, it'd certainly be interesting to see.

Well think about it. Nahiri's ultimate lets you get a creature OR artifact. What if the artifact is the moon, and the creature is a sacrifice of some sort?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

This totally seems like something Rosewater would get a kick out of.

ultron87

Well think about it. Nahiri's ultimate lets you get a creature OR artifact. What if the artifact is the moon, and the creature is a sacrifice of some sort?

It's the fact that it returns it to your hand, so you'd get one half, flip and combine it, attack with it (if half a card having haste gives the whole card haste), and then return half of it to your hand?

Also a ton of rules scenarios and weirdness for two permanents combining together is in my head and it seems rough. If each half has temporary effects applied to it does that happen to the whole creature? Does it just become a brand new thing? What if one half phases out?!?

Hmm, you actually could fix all these problems, including the Nahiri thing, with the Flipwalker tech where the pair exiles itself, then transforms, then enters the battlefield as a single object. That'd be a fairly elegant solution. Though what is it's CMC? Combo of both backside cards?

How would it even conform to the rules? Does it count as one permanent or 2, if I destroy one half does the other die as well. Does it have the CMC of either frontside, what if I engineered explosives for enough for 1 side but not the other. If it flips instead of exiling what if there's a static effect on one side does it affect the whole thing,...
The text to bring it in line sounds just too improbable.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
How would it even conform to the rules? Does it count as one permanent or 2, if I destroy one half does the other die as well. Does it have the CMC of either frontside, what if I engineered explosives for enough for 1 side but not the other.
The text to bring it in line sounds just too improbable.

I don't get why you would do it other than a gimmick in a set with Transform cards.

I'm thinking that we'd get something like this

Totally Fake Eldritch Moon 13

Legendary Artifact

When ~ ETBs, You may search your library for a card called "Drownyard Portal" and put it into play.

If ~ would LTB, instead Transform it and "Drownyard Portal".

Emrakul, The One Foretold

Legendary Creature-Eldrazi Horror

~ Can't be blocked except by 13 or more creatures.

Flying

20/20

Drownyard Portal

Artifact

Tap: Add CC to your Mana pool.

6CC, Sacrifice ~: Search your library for up to 2 Horror Cards, then put them into play. Shuffle your library.

I like how they manage to show the scene we saw before in a different light without actually changing any of the dialogue. This story really casts an effective light on just how tragic and miserable her story is -- she spends thousands of years dedicated to protecting her home plane, the people who promised to help her with that renege on that promise, she gets tossed in magical jail -- then that plane gets basically destroyed anyway, and in the interim she loses the power that could've helped restore Zendikar and the years that could have been spent making up for the ones wasted. The timing works out very well to have her freed from the Helvault just in time to go see a horribly devastated Zendikar but start her revenge plan well before any other PWs go back to try to fix things. It's noticeable here how Nahiri's feelings of betrayal by Sorin mirror Avacyn's, even as the former also works to destroy the latter. It all just comes together very nicely.

Also, Sorin sucks, #teamnahiri all the way.

I continue to be surprised at how explicit they make the consequences of the Mending. The whole "change in the nature of planeswalking" always felt like a patch to allow them to print them on cards, and I would have expected them to basically be ignoring the historicity of godlike planeswalkers at this point.

How are they going to ignore it? It's like 70% of the game's history and they spent a whole block's story on changing it. Like four characters have it as an intrinsic part of their backstory.

Not that I'm necessarily co-signing this theory (I think they will definitely do BFG cards eventually, just not sure this is the right time/execution and I think EDM's Emrakul has to be something Nahiri can fetch with her ultimate) but this is exactly the kind of shit Rosewater does constantly, drop little only-in-retrospect hints about stuff he can't talk about yet.

I don't get why you would do it other than a gimmick in a set with Transform cards.

The idea of combining two cards into something has a natural appeal and the balancing factor of having to get both lets you create some things that are way outside what you could normally print on a single card. It makes sense why someone might try to do the mechanic. I do think the best execution of it I've heard of is the rejected one from NPH where there's a bunch of left and right sides and any left side can go with any right side, though.

OnPoint

Sorin's only crime is his absolute lack of sympathy. He didn't renig on her promise. The circumstances were that the info didn't get to him. She could have forgave him for that. But she's red so grrrrrrrrrr or whatever.

Ugin's only crime was being dead/being basically dead.

I'm sympathetic to Nahiri's situation, but man, she's a bad friend.

Angry Grimace

Meh, he kind of has it coming. I'm not sure how you think he didn't reneg on his deal - he made it pretty clear that not only did he not fucken care, he didn't plan to care in the future. Like, if Sorin had put literally any points into Paragon or Renegade he could have talked his way out of that situation. Instead he's been around for 10,000 years and hit level 85, but put all of his skill points into traps and summoning pets.

Ashodin

The fuck, is this a double reference to Mass Effect and some MMO?

#TeamNahiri

Sorin likely to die at the end of EMN to save his plane. Nahiri gonna be sad times.

Sorin is probably going to die, but he'll have one last moment of glory before he dies. Like uplifting Sigarda to be the new guardian of Innistrad's Humans, with hopefully her nature not resulting in another Avacyn.

Firemind

I love Orzhov, but goddamn if he isn't a bastard representation
Not that Orzhov have been doing that well lately.

Seriously how can you go from

Ghost-Council.jpg

to

Ghost-Council-of-Orzhova-Gatecrash-Art.jpg

to

635822498039316301.jpg

It's like I've landed in Ghostbusters or something.

OnPoint

Meh, he kind of has it coming. I'm not sure how you think he didn't reneg on his deal - he made it pretty clear that not only did he not fucken care, he didn't plan to care in the future. Like, if Sorin had put literally any points into Paragon or Renegade he could have talked his way out of that situation. Instead he's been around for 10,000 years and hit level 85, but put all of his skill points into traps and summoning pets.
Let's walk through it.

- Nahiri lit the bat signal
- No one answered
- The problem is solved
- She tracks down Sorin to ask why
- Sorin had a valid excuse
- Nahiri stays butthurt

Pretty cut and dry.

Now, she can be upset that he has no sympathy or doesn't care all she likes I guess, He is 100% dismissive, which is really what her issue was after he explained himself. But I don't get mad at a baby for crying or a tree for having leaves. Most times you gotta accept people for who they are.

He reminds her that they are friends. She decides fighting him is a better course of action.

Her being mad about being trapped? She started the fight.

Her being mad about the Eldrazi wrecking her world? More Jace/Chandra/Nissa/Sarkhan/Bolas' fault. Hell its even more her fault than his due to her hubris in fighting him.

He's a dick, no question. But she's the bigger asshole in all of this in my opinion.

Ashodin

Cardwise isnlt the latter the strongest by far though?

Oh yeah sure but do we have to have Ghostbusters aesthetic going with it? Card looks like a scene from the movie.

storyart_EMN_Sorin-Nahiri.jpg

This art is so weird, at first I thought his sword was super long before I noticed the blade itself

also rofl at Avacyn strumming her lance like a guitar in the background, epic solo while Nahiri gets entombed

Sorin's only crime is his absolute lack of sympathy. He didn't renig on her promise. The circumstances were that the info didn't get to him.

Like, if I go out and you say you'll have your phone on and pick me up when I need a ride, then you turn it off and I can't get in touch with you and have to sleep in the garbage outside, that's your fault.

Also, even putting that aside, he could have been a jerk about that, but then gone along with Nahiri to check out Zendikar as a conciliatory gesture. He didn't even want to do that, which really makes him a jerk.

- Sorin had a valid excuse

"I didn't care about fulfilling my promise so I did a bunch of shit that made it practically impossible for me to do so" is not a valid excuse.

This story reaffirms my belief that Sorin will redeem himself by dying to seal/repeal/kill Emrakul.

Clearing the way for Elspeth to become the new black/white planeswalker!

Genryu

Banned
also rofl at Avacyn strumming her lance like a guitar in the background, epic solo while Nahiri gets entombed

Thank you for getting that image stuck in my head.

I'm not at home so I had to do this with shitty tools, but I tried
CFW3IJw.png

OnPoint

Like, if I go out and you say you'll have your phone on and pick me up when I need a ride, then you turn it off and I can't get in touch with you and have to sleep in the garbage outside, that's your fault.

Also, even putting that aside, he could have been a jerk about that, but then gone along with Nahiri to check out Zendikar as a conciliatory gesture. He didn't even want to do that, which really makes him a jerk.

"I didn't care about fulfilling my promise so I did a bunch of shit that made it practically impossible for me to do so" is not a valid excuse

It's more like he went into the basement to work on shit and didn't know he didn't have reception. Then when he thought about it, it kinda made sense that would happen, but he didn't consider it before. It's a lot less shitty than straight turning your phone off on purpose.

He absolutely should have gone with her. But again, she should know how he is by now, they spent 50 years together. Later she even rationalized how little she meant by realizing how short their time together was from his standpoint with it being a blink of an eye to him. Again, she should know better what to expect from him.

As for the last part, again, he didn't do it on purpose. It sucks, but it was more a mistake than a callous move.

cuc

Not that I'm necessarily co-signing this theory (I think they will definitely do BFG cards eventually, just not sure this is the right time/execution and I think EDM's Emrakul has to be something Nahiri can fetch with her ultimate) but this is exactly the kind of shit Rosewater does constantly, drop little only-in-retrospect hints about stuff he can't talk about yet.

The idea of combining two cards into something has a natural appeal and the balancing factor of having to get both lets you create some things that are way outside what you could normally print on a single card. It makes sense why someone might try to do the mechanic. I do think the best execution of it I've heard of is the rejected one from NPH where there's a bunch of left and right sides and any left side can go with any right side, though.

Disregarding the evidence of the test print cards for a moment (which showed one normal card double-sized & chopped into two halves), I think the Eldrazi are flexible enough, if they wanted to appy NPH's original living weapon concept on them, they won't have much trouble fitting it into the fiction. For example, they can use it to represent Eldrazi merging with Innistrad's inhabitants, with one side always an Innistrad host (flipped from a creature), and another side the Eldrazi parasite (flipped from an enchantment, or judging by Nahiri, an equipment or a cryptolith-like artifact). It can also represent Ulamog and Kozilek merging with Emrakul.

In any case, Ken Nagle led the design of NPH, and IIRC came up with the living weapon idea. If BFG cards are to return, they would more likely than not to show up when Ken Nagle is the lead designer again, which happens fairly regularly, EMN included.

y2dvd

It has begun. I broke apart and traded a bunch of standard stuff for one Flusterstorm. 1 legacy card down, 30+ more to go. :l

Signed up for EMA PPT this weekend. Any advice on archetypes for this set?

Disregarding the evidence of the test print cards for a moment (which showed one normal card double-sized & chopped into two halves), I think the Eldrazi are flexible enough, if they wanted to appy NPH's original living weapon concept on them, they won't have much trouble fitting it into the fiction.

Oh yeah. Like I said, I'm not affirmatively convinced that this is when and where that happens, but it's certainly a plausible expansion of the mechanics and something they could make work flavor-wise. Nahiri's ultimate is really the only serious thing that gives me pause about this applying to Emrakul.

It's more like he went into the basement to work on shit and didn't know he didn't have reception. Then when he thought about it, it kinda made sense that would happen, but he didn't consider it before.

what world do you live in where someone who promises to answer the phone and then goes down to the basement where they don't get reception doesn't owe you a big apology

Ashodin

what world do you live in where someone who promises to answer the phone and then goes down to the basement where they don't get reception doesn't owe you a big apology
This man is trying to explain you THINK ABOUT THAT SHIT before you do something like that, especially if you have only ONE REAL FRIEND haha

OnPoint

Well I mean when it takes someone 5,000 years to call, you might, by some small chance, have other shit going on, too. She wondered if he was dead. Maybe he thought she was, too?

Look, I'm not defending the action. He explained it and owned up to it, and honestly probably "apologized" as much as Sorin Markov ever would. I never said it wasn't dickish and I never said he wasn't wrong. He's very clearly always been written as a dick.

My point is that her actions were ill-advised, childish and flat out stupid, and because of this, I feel like she brought her imprisonment on directly and the subsequent Eldrazi apocalypse on indirectly. She was expecting him to make some grand gesture while simultaneously explaining in her head in perfect, accurate character detail why he never would. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

If you know someone won't apologize for something wrong they did, you cut them out of your life or you accept them for the dick they are. His actions surprised her, then she remembered who he is and how he acts, then her logic was to fight him...? Which he even was like "Really? C'mon, we're friends" in his Sorin way. But she still went for it. It's crazy-person logic, which probably makes sense, since she's clearly gone two loafs of crazy bread somewhere over those 5,000 years, but that doesn't mean I'm taking her side.

My point is that her actions were ill-advised, childish and flat out stupid, and because of this, I feel like she brought her imprisonment on directly and the subsequent Eldrazi apocalypse on indirectly.

Yeah, this is ridiculous. Not gonna be calling you when the fate of the multiverse is on the line, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom