• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

1upsuper

My draft went well tonight. Went with my friend and we were both surprised at the small turnout. This was a fairly popular LGS in the area and they were only doing a single EMA draft yesterday and today and it was $30. Somehow only like 14 people ended up drafting. I rare drafted a Sylvan Library and Chrome Mox. Ended up going RW soldier/goblins. RW is something I often find myself drafting but it worked pretty well tonight. Only three rounds, went 3-0 for the evening and walked away with a pack of EMA for going undefeated. My last match was tough though. The first two I won 2-0, but the third went to a third game. I just managed to scrape a winning play in before I was toast. Pulled a foil Ancestral Mask out of the prize pack. My friend had a good time too and pulled a Karakas, which was dope. We're gonna try and find another place doing an EMA draft for MSRP since we had a good time with this one. We'll see. I've also softened on how I did with my box. Looking back I got some really usable stuff and I'll be able to put a lot of it to use. Overall feeling pretty good today.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Elephant Guide is an all-star in the format. Well, as long as you cut off opponents from green too, so they don't Nature's Claim you.

An-Det

That final game at GP Prague was insane. Really a fantastic example of winning through a LOT of resistance with storm. I was impressed.

It was fucking incredible. One of the best matches I've seen in a long time.

Edit: they threw up a list of the names of the coverage team when thanking them for their work this weekend. Small but really nice touch in acknowledging those that work to make these things happen.

WEGGLES

Make sure you go back. This is the first weekend EMA is out, so most players are giving it a try and playing the lotto. It also has a limited supply, so next weekend there will probably not be any drafts of EMA going, just SoI.
I found a draft on Tuesday that's closer to my apartment. Gonna hit that one up. I figured it was just rotten luck and timing.

traveler

Not Wario
Got Sneak and Show in the Gauntlet. First time actually playing legacy, and this deck is just absurd. I mean, I'm familiar with the goal and loosely familiar with most decks in legacy but I've just facerolled my way through the first two matches, even missing one of my show triggers to actually put something into play. I don't even understand how elves is supposed to beat this deck.

ultron87

Got Sneak and Show in the Gauntlet. First time actually playing legacy, and this deck is just absurd. I mean, I'm familiar with the goal and loosely familiar with most decks in legacy but I've just facerolled my way through the first two matches, even missing one of my show triggers to actually put something into play. I don't even understand how elves is supposed to beat this deck.

Yeah, Sneak and Show is one of the worst matchups for Elves. The deck is just faster than Elves, and their only way to interact is hand disruption Thoughtseize/Cabal Therapy to strip the win conditions. And they usually don't even have the hand disruption until side board games.

ironmang

Got delver and lost. Definitely could have played better but I didn't expect to do anything close to this well. Qd for my first PT which I'll for sure prepare for.

traveler

Not Wario
Got delver and lost. Definitely could have played better but I didn't expect to do anything close to this well. Qd for my first PT which I'll for sure prepare for.

:(

Good run regardless, though. You're in for Sydney or Honolulu? Best of luck regardless.

How typical is your list to reanimator in Legacy these days? Explain like I'm five, it's probably the single format I follow the least.

EDIT: and gratz, of course. very nice run.

traveler

Not Wario
It feels like Kaladesh is getting more hype both from R&D and the general populace than recent blocks, no doubt in part to being a new setting for the first time in 3 blocks. Between that and the fact that the PT is in Honolulu, I'd love to qualify for that particular PT. Seems like a good time.

Haven't been too involved with Standard recently and Sealed is a bit luck heavy, although I do decently well, so need to figure out the best approach to grinding the qualifications. Guess I can hope Eldritch Moon has a sufficient enough impact on Standard to provide a decent reentry point.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Sideboarding in Ashen Rider or something?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well I guess I'm rare-drafting this Scapeshift in LLM.

Crocodile

13-2 punted my way to top 8 :)

tumblr_n0eukb5AM01rmc523o1_500.gif

Well done on the expert performance <3

Good luck at the PT. Above else, make sure you try to have as much fun as possible :)

Yeef

Managed to draft a pretty nuts deck today. Red was WIDE open.

Creatures
1 Whitemane Lion
1 Mogg War Marshall
1 Young Pyromancer
1 Borderland Marauder
1 Keldon Marauders
1 Mistral Charger
1 Wake Dancer
1 Fervent Cathar
2 Ghitu Slinger
1 Flame-Kin Zealot
1 Bettleback Chief
2 Keldon Champion
1 Avarax

Spells
1 Zealous Persecution
1 Night's Whisper
1 Seismic Stomp
1 Pacifism
1 Rally the Peasants
1 Goblin Charbelcher
1 Torrent of Souls

Lands
7 Mountains
5 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Bloodfell Caves
1 Wind-scarred Crag
1 Scoured Barrens

Whitemane Lion was really good for all the ETB effects, but also for saving Echo creatures and the Keldon Marauders. Torrent of Souls was probably the MVP though. It closed out a ton of games for me since I always cast it for both colors and got back something that did damage or pumped the team.

Had one game where my opponent played a Maze of Ith after we'd traded a bunch, which would normally be problematic since my deck just wants to attack non-stop, but Charbelcher made it a lot less relevant..

Congrats! :D

It feels like Kaladesh is getting more hype both from R&D and the general populace than recent blocks, no doubt in part to being a new setting for the first time in 3 blocks.
Rosewater has been saying, for a long time, that he thinks it's one of his best designs; on par or better than original Innistrad. If that turns out to be the case, then it'll be amazing.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/121950893053/besides-innistrad-which-set-in-the-last-8-years
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/137731785003/using-its-codename-obviously-which-of-the
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/144361407713/is-the-awesome-set-the-one-after-eldritch-moon
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/142918422763/so-mark-lets-hear-it-best-design-of-yours
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/137731785003/using-its-codename-obviously-which-of-the
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/121985938768/in-your-opinion-is-lock-going-to-be-as-exciting
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/121957899678/youve-been-teasing-us-a-surprising-amount-about

ironmang

Thanks everybody. :) I probably had a realistic chance to win the whole thing if I had prepared more than playing a 4 round event 7 months ago lol. As far as matchups:
3-1 vs Miracles
3-0 vs Lands
1-0 vs Storm
1-0 vs Burn
0-1 vs Reanimator
1-1 vs Grixis Delver
1-0 vs Eldrazi
1-0 vs Elves
(2 byes)

How typical is your list to reanimator in Legacy these days? Explain like I'm five, it's probably the single format I follow the least.

EDIT: and gratz, of course. very nice run.

Mine is pretty close to the classic UB reanimator except flip jace in and no animate deads. Sideboard is also pretty standard with maybe Inkwell being a card nobody really plays anymore. There are some decks lumped under reanimator that are usually mono black or splashing red for faithless looting and are almost entirely combo focused.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206621769]If you want to test brews for honolulu when the time comes I'll be on cockatrice a ton.[/QUOTE]

Ya I'm going to be diving deep in both draft and standard soon as the relevant spoilers start so I'll be glad to test against anything and everything.

y2dvd

Thanks everybody. :) I probably had a realistic chance to win the whole thing if I had prepared more than playing a 4 round event 7 months ago lol. As far as matchups:
3-1 vs Miracles
3-0 vs Lands
1-0 vs Storm
1-0 vs Burn
0-1 vs Reanimator
1-1 vs Grixis Delver
1-0 vs Eldrazi
1-0 vs Elves
(2 byes)

Mine is pretty close to the classic UB reanimator except flip jace in and no animate deads. Sideboard is also pretty standard with maybe Inkwell being a card nobody really plays anymore. There are some decks lumped under reanimator that are usually mono black or splashing red for faithless looting and are almost entirely combo focused.

Ya I'm going to be diving deep in both draft and standard soon as the relevant spoilers start so I'll be glad to test against anything and everything.

Good stuff! I wish I could afford Legacy lol.

Ashodin

I suppose I should ask for titles for the next OT again. Previous suggestions start here.

Also, there's never been a set we've known so little about so close to the start of spoiler weeks, right? Even ignoring the set symbol, we only have two pieces of art, one of which is key art.

The key art is so generic. There's nothing of note in there that gives away ANYTHING going on with the plane. It's just Liliana with Zombies. I think it's a red herring.

Magic: The Gathering |OT7| Eldritch Moon - [Title Withheld]
Magic: The Gathering |OT7| Eldritch Moon - It's Empty Rap, Coolio!
Magic: The Gathering |OT7| Eldritch Moon - Hope you like spaghetti

RoboRosewater has a new network that takes partial requests:

CkxSP-nVAAAJU6C.jpg

Also, there's never been a set we've known so little about so close to the start of spoiler weeks, right? Even ignoring the set symbol, we only have two pieces of art, one of which is key art.

I don't think "never" is correct, but SOI and BFZ had blowout events, SOI and OGW had early leaks, and every set from Khans through Origins got one manner or another of specifically early preview, so it's certainly been awhile. It might've been one of the Theros small sets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom