• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrArchon

That uncommon Delirium cycle seems really fun for limited. Topplegeist still looks like it's by far the best (and probably the only one that'll see actual constructed play), but I wouldn't mind grabbing any of them if I'm running their colors.

Art on all of these cards is super top notch too. I wonder how Sorin went so wrong when the rest of the set's art is this on point?

Jhriad

Um...

asylumvisitor.jpg

That's definitely a card. Each players upkeep? Sign me up!

OnPoint

Why are people so desperate for a reprint? Give me a new Liliana card. LotV is amazing, no doubt about it, but there's surely enough room for a new card.
I own four already. I just like playing with that card. Also I think Wizards needs to get better about reprinting popular stuff, and this would be a step toward that. $100 is way too much money for her.

DrArchon

3 power for two mana, and forces opponents to never empty their hand. That's a card alright.

It'll probably see play competitively. It certainly feels pushed enough for that. Probably won't be drawing too many cards, but making opponents think twice about casting the last card in their hand should be nice.

jph139

I'm sort of glad they're not revisiting Tibalt in SOI. I prefer when the Planeswalkers seem out of place, rather than all being tied to their home planes - Tamiyo is a great example that feels super "planeswalker-y" by being a Kamigawan on Innistrad.

Have Tibalt swinging with Rakdos or raising hell in Fairy Tale World or something.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This will find a place somewhere and become famous. I don't know when, and I don't know why, but this is absolutely a card to watch.

It's like a bad Dark Confidant, but bad Dark Confidant isn't necessarily an unplayable card.

We've already seen that on Thraben inspector and some other cards.

This sounds like nitpicking, but there's a big difference between purple tentacle thingies (which could technically be anything) and tentacles whose color scheme is "deep blues with crusty ochres and shocking magentas."

Um...

asylumvisitor.jpg

That's definitely a card. Each players upkeep? Sign me up!

There was a similar Dragon's Maze card that got similar buzz and did absolutely nothing in Constructed. This is strictly better than that card in many ways, but I'd be cautious about revving the hype train into overdrive.

Edit: It was this card, and this isn't strictly better - I had forgotten that Blood Scrivener proc'd on each draw, not each turn.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=369030

DrArchon

Thalia's Lieutenant will probably see play because it just seems that good, but Welcome to the Fold is way more interesting to me. What a neat design for a card! I mean, it'll absolutely never see constructed play I'm betting, but having the Madness version be the different from the normal version is very cool.

El Topo

Thalia's Lieutenant will probably see play because it just seems that good, but Welcome to the Fold is way more interesting to me. What a neat design for a card! I mean, it'll absolutely never see constructed play I'm betting, but having the Madness version be the different from the normal version is very cool.

It's also interesting that it targets toughness, instead of power. Not sure if it's too relevant, but a neat twist.

Wait, hold on, Hall of Gemstone is actually worth something now? I should really check my old binders full of crap cards.

Well it's worth something in that you can use it to steal from people on Pucatrade, I'm not sure the spike price is really going to translate to the ability to actually resell the card for tons of cash quite yet.

El Topo

Well it's worth something in that you can use it to steal from people on Pucatrade, I'm not sure the spike price is really going to translate to the ability to actually resell the card for tons of cash quite yet.

I wasn't totally serious. I wouldn't sell anyway, as I'm too lazy for that. Sold most of the great stuff long ago anyway. It's just surprising to me someone would ever try Hall of Gemstones. That card sucked back when I got it in a booster and it still sucks.

I have one in an EDH deck. It's interesting. I don't know if the price will hold, is it on the Reserved List?

Yes, it is.

Sadly I wasn't really kidding, far and away the most effective way to profit off of this spike is to steal forty bucks in imaginary money from the people who had this sitting as a $1 nice-to-have on their Puca lists.

G.ZZZ

I thought Wasteland would solve everything in Legacy.

It does, hall of gemstones is stupidly bad and will see 0 play ever. If you bought it for more than 2$ i feel sorry for you.

The new draw card vampire is really good. Combo really nicely with LotV, and make discard spells in the lategame live as they essentially cantrip. Plus 3 power demand an answer, whereas 2 power of blood scrivener is 50% slower as a clock. But wait, it has also madness! Just icing on the cake.

I must clarify that this is more likely to see play in legacy than standard because you have many more ways to empty your hand fast there than in standard, and removal is still rarer than a format like standard. I'd try this in blazing fast black stompy.

EDIT: after playing a bit with it, it's way worse than i imagined. Still, i can't wait to play 16bobs.dec in legacy lol.

Jhriad

Why are people so desperate for a reprint?

Because her price is one of the larger hurdles to getting into some of the more popular archetypes in Modern? Plus she would have a real drawback if Madness and Delirium cards are decent enough. Enabling your opponents keywords for them through your planeswalkers is a good way to balance her out.

Didn't see it posted (for good reason):

confirmar_sospechas_confirm_suspicions.png

Confirm Suspicions
3UU
Instant - Rare
Counter target spell. Investigate three times.

If it's a counterspell and it's rare, it's pretty much guaranteed to be garbage these days.

DrArchon

If it's a counterspell and it's rare, it's pretty much guaranteed to be garbage these days.

Jeeze. You aren't kidding. You'd think it'd at least exile the spell with all the graveyard interactions. I mean, it's 5 mana and it doesn't do anything other than counter a spell normally unless you combine it with extra cards or 6 extra mana.

DrArchon

We still haven't gotten any payoff for investigating. Hopefully there are some cards that interact with clues.

What we need are a couple of cards with either "Sacrifice a clue: Do X" or "Whenever you sacrifice a clue do X", preferably the first one so we can get some stuff going without spending 2 every single time.

I imagine we'll see some decent uncommons with some stuff like that on them.

OnPoint

I wanna see something like:

unnamed place
Land
Tap: add <>
Whenever you sac a clue put a counter
on unnamed place.
Remove 13 counters, sacrifice unnamed place: all opponents lose 13 life, sacrifice 13 permanents, you draw 13 cards

Would be nuts!!!

Supast4r

Screw Lilly. We need the redemption of Tibalt!

She is already on the cover of Eldrich Moon so Lily is a given. This standard would be a good standard for Liliana of the Veil which is interesting. I'm not expecting a reprint but this is probably the best chance they have to put her in standard.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Interesting that I mentioned Dark Confidant being something that you would need for a vampire deck to get card advantage and there's a riff on it.

That said, they're not reprinting Liliana of the Veil so that combo is kind of out the window unless her new card has "each player discards a card" again like Heretical Healer does. Heretical Healer would be really interesting here if you could actually flip her with any kind of reliability.

JulianImp

We don't like paying $100 for four year old cardboard?

What? I have a EN foil copy that I got by pure luck out of a booster pack ages ago and never actually put to good use, and I never expected she'd climb up to such an absurd price. Would it be a good idea to try and move her sometime soon or should I wait for her price to get even crazier?

We need Last Rites to be reprinted so that we can empty out everyone's hand efficiently.

Or at least Delirium Skeins. Or Cunning Lethemancer.

Actually I'd bet on there being an "At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player discards a card" type of effect in this set somewhere.

Angry Grimace

What? I have a EN foil copy that I got by pure luck out of a booster pack ages ago and never actually put to good use, and I never expected she'd climb up to such an absurd price. Would it be a good idea to try and move her sometime soon or should I wait for her price to get even crazier?
I would consider moving it now. She's higher than she's ever been and she's potentially in both MM3 and EMA.

If you don't, its probably not a big deal, those sets don't really make a dent in prices anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom