• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insaniac

en_SfS7BRzipg.png

In a burn deck I wonder if this, on average, increases the damage dealt or is worse. Because if it reveals a bolt it turns it into a 1 damage spell, but you also get to see another card after that.

This card will be great, I think. Its essentially extra damage. You can't think of flipping a bolt as 2 damage lost, but 1 damage gained. Not to mention multiples will work well together. Also a form of evasion never hurts

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
IDK maybe its the best card in thy set, punisher mechanics are hard to evaluate because they traditionally are booty.

With the speed of this thread, I should probably put this part I edited into my last post into a new one.

From MaRo's article, it's interesting to note that investigate was originally a strictly better version of red's temporary card draw. You exiled the top card of your library face down (so your opponent couldn't see it) and you have until the end of your next turn to cast it. And it wouldn't have been centered in red. I mean, I get it, it's worse than a cantrip, but it would have felt like kicking red while it was down.

And from the development article, they say for skulk that they'll, "be eager to see what you think of this keyword when it appears more frequently." Yeah, definitely evergreen. They also confirm that they tested madness heavily with Jace.

Loads of people misreading/misevaluating Sin Prodder. The ability is pure upside.

Yeah, having thought about it a bit more I completely agree with this. If the card has a potential real downside then you're running it in the wrong deck.

Sin Prodder could be good. The way it's usually going to go is that the opponent won't let you draw a card when they have a lot of life, but will have you draw the card when they're low on life, so it needs to be evaluated in that regard. There are also cases where you are land screwed and the opponent mills your lands, and when you're land flooded and the opponent mills your spells, but those situations are very unlikely, even if they'll probably stick out in your mind.

And not just are those situations unlikely but they're also not really any more likely than hitting an all/no land patch when drawing normally. Additionally, your opponent milling your spells into you only drawing land is still better than just normally drawing repeated lands since you're at least inflicting damage between staring at your 4th and 5th Mountain draws in a row.

And not just are those situations unlikely but they're also not really any more likely than hitting an all/no land patch when drawing normally. Additionally, your opponent milling your spells into you only drawing land is still better than just normally drawing repeated lands since you're at least inflicting damage between staring at your 4th and 5th Mountain draws in a row.

Yes, but it's the sort of thing that would make a player really upset at the card, even if it isn't logical.

This is like asking if a 2/1 for two mana has ever been solid when trying to evaluate Dark Confidant

I was responding to the comment about "mediocre body." 2/1 for 2 would definitely be considered "mediocre." I believe a 3/2 menace for 3 is also pretty mediocre - as in, it doesn't stand by itself, so you should ask yourself if the effect is worth paying for and getting the body at a discount (or vice versa).

IDK maybe its the best card in thy set, punisher mechanics are hard to evaluate because they traditionally are booty.

Yeah, which is why my initial reaction was pretty dismissive. And I still think it's probably mediocre in most decks that aren't mono-red aggro. The only real questions to me are if there's going to be enough support to make it work in Standard and if it has enough impact to fit into RDW in other formats.

Yes, but it's the sort of thing that would make a player really upset at the card, even if it isn't logical.

Oh, for sure.

OnPoint

Weighing in on Sin Prodder:

This is a hard card to evaluate. The Lightning Bolt application is tough to swallow (losing 3 points targetable whenever you want for 1 to the dome is a bad rate) but I don't think a deck using that card is going to put emphasis on playing Lightning Bolt. I feel like if this card were to excel, a deck would need to be built on how to utilize both halves of the ability. Whether such a deck can exist or will exist remains to be seen.

El Topo

You're fooling yourself if you don't think the menace 3/2 is amazing. It's red dark confidant.

3CMC is more restrictive than 2CMC and letting your opponent decide is problematic. Still, could be a really great card. An additional card per turn is an additional card per turn.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Sin Punisher's only real downside that I can see, is that if you're running a burn deck, you want to be pretty aggressively costed to begin with, so I'm not sure how much you'd be getting out of allowing your opponent to prevent threats.

But if you could tailor the deck correctly, it definitely has potential. If nothing else, it's cheap continual extra cards.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
With the speed of this thread, I should probably put this part I edited into my last post into a new one.

From MaRo's article, it's interesting to note that investigate was originally a strictly better version of red's temporary card draw. You exiled the top card of your library face down (so your opponent couldn't see it) and you have until the end of your next turn to cast it. And it wouldn't have been centered in red. I mean, I get it, it's worse than a cantrip, but it would have felt like kicking red while it was down.

And from the development article, they say for skulk that they'll, "be eager to see what you think of this keyword when it appears more frequently." Yeah, definitely evergreen. They also confirm that they tested madness heavily with Jace.

There's like 1 card with Madness so far in Blue and more than enough outlets in red and black. Seems like Jace is just overrated.

Weighing in on Sin Prodder:

This is a hard card to evaluate. The Lightning Bolt application is tough to swallow (losing 3 points targetable whenever you want for 1 to the dome is a bad rate) but I don't think a deck using that card is going to put emphasis on playing Lightning Bolt. I feel like if this card were to excel, a deck would need to be built on how to utilize both halves of the ability. Whether such a deck can exist or will exist remains to be seen.

Sin Punisher's only real downside that I can see, is that if you're running a burn deck, you want to be pretty aggressively costed to begin with, so I'm not sure how much you'd be getting out of allowing your opponent to prevent threats.

But if you could tailor the deck correctly, it definitely has potential. If nothing else, it's cheap continual extra cards.

See, that's the thing. In any burn heavy aggro deck you're not really having threats prevented. So they deny you the Lightning Bolt from the extra draw? Who cares, they take 1 and you draw your next threat instead. Don't think of it as losing a Lightning Bolt, think of it as getting an extra damage to your opponent for free. People comparing this to Dark Confidant are making a mistake, I think. Trying to use this as an actual method of card draw seems like a big mistake since you absolutely will get denied key cards that way.

Angry Grimace

The thing I will say in favor of Sin Prodder is that the body isn't that far off curve. I think its less good than Matter Reshaper for what its worth.

Adaren

At first I was thinking that the downside of Sin Prodder is akin to giving your opponent Scry 1 (on you), but that isn't really appropriate because the card is leaving your library no matter what they choose.

Your top card might be the burn spell you need to win (so your opponent would definitely discard it), but it's equally likely that the second card in your deck is the burn spell you need to win and Sin Prodder lets you get there one turn faster. Any benefit your opponent gets will be lucky and situational; the card draw / free burn is a guaranteed benefit for yourself.

pigeon

Banned
Sin Prodder is very good, the problem is that the ability is pure badfeel even though it's upside only. It's basically bizarro miracle and has the exact same problems. Every time you topdeck a Lightning Bolt with him and lose the game you will be like "DAMN YOU SIN PRODDER" even though it didn't actually change your success changes negatively.

I believe the correct way to view Sin Prodder is that statistically, when you have a random deck (no scry knowledge), that his ability is only upside. Correct?

G.ZZZ

That's Young Pyromancer.

But young pyromancer is blue!

The Sin Prodder, aside from being a terrible CG overload, is also not really that good. It goes in extremely low-variance aggressive decks which don't care about being locked out from topdecks because their deck is all the same card, but cost 3 and is as such close to unplayable there. I'll still try it somewhere but it's not that good. Had it costed 1R it could have actually been the cycle closer, but alas, it's red. Pyromancer is at heart a blue card, and Abbot, while another amazing 1R drop, is again a card that you want to run in a deck that run manipulation and lot of cantrips but isn't very aggressive in itself as it's unplayable T2 unlike the rest of the cycle. On the other hand, snapcaster goes in many more lists and it's also way better in terms of power level, Confidant is a necro on a stick, Goyf goes everywhere, and SFM is guaranteed card advantage, tutor and mana advantage if it survive.

G.ZZZ

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";198818751]People are arguing against Young Pyromancer?[/QUOTE]

Pyromancer is a card that live off cantrips and can go only in that kind of deck. It's an amazing card that see play in all formats, but if the "cycle closer" for red is a card that has to be played in blue decks, then yeah, i don't think it's a "cycle closer" at all, just another card that is made good by the cantrip cartel.

pigeon

Banned
I believe the correct way to view Sin Prodder is that statistically, when you have a random deck (no scry knowledge), that his ability is only upside. Correct?

Even when you have scry it's still all upside, because you're going to scry with the knowledge that you're going to get Prodded. It makes your decision more complicated, but not actually different.

Basically. It technically doesn't harm your draws since the upkeep card is always leaving the top of your library one way or the other, so in the worst case you can pretty much just pretend it just unconditionally mills the top card of your library in your upkeep. Milling one completely random card a turn is almost entirely meaningless, if not outright positive, in most games.

I'm actually liking this card in constructed more and more as I think about it. It's probably more risky in limited where your threats can be, well, limited.

Angry Grimace

Let's back that up: nothing Sin Prodder does is downside. The fact that you can technically have a card that would otherwise win you the game milled doesn't change the odds of your drawn or revealed card being that wincon.

There are essentially 0 legitimate situations where you would not want a Sin Prodder vs. not having a Sin Prodder. But lots of cards don't hurt you having them in play, that's not a meaningful way to analyze the card.

red13th

Thinking of cube terms, 3/2 menace for 3 with a non-marginal upside is pretty good. There are very few aggressive red 3-drops. Even if you hit them for 1-2 instead of 3 with your burn spell, that's damage to the face for zero mana. I'm excited about cubing it (goes very well with Fireblast and Greater Gargadon!). Not sure about constructed viability though, maybe there are indeed better choices.

bigkrev

The fact that a land being on top of your deck is a whiff (it will deal zero damage and be milled) means this card will whiff more than 1/3rd of the time. The more I think about it, the less I like it

red13th

Jund-ish red midrange builds with Crucible could be mean with the Devil too. As if I didn't love Crucible enough (I love Crucible), I'm kind of sad I cut Loam now though! :(

Firemind

But that's not a whiff. That's getting rid of a land you probably didn't want to draw.
But Dark Confidant does that better. :lol

I mean, Countryside Crusher lets you get rid of lands too, grows bigger, is also three mana and was stone cold unplayable. Believe me, I played it at Nationals.

Angry Grimace

I mean, Countryside Crusher lets you get rid of lands too, grows bigger, is also three mana and was stone cold unplayable. Believe me, I played it at Nationals.

Dark Confidant is just a way better card though

That's right. It's not worth even considering this in any type of deck that isn't low-curve and super homogeneous, and in those decks every possible hit is beneficial, it's just a question of how much.

But young pyromancer is blue!

The thing where every card that's good in Vintage is "blue" because blue is the broken color is silly and I don't support it. You might as well say Stoneforge Mystic is a blue card by that standard.

The fact that a land being on top of your deck is a whiff (it will deal zero damage and be milled) means this card will whiff more than 1/3rd of the time.

Scrying away a land is an upside in a deck that you've definitionally hit the top of the curve in already.

ultron87

Ancestral Recall draws you cards faster too. Guess we better not talk about any Magic cards being good.

I'm really about 50/50 on this guy actually being good in Standard, because I think he requires a pretty specific kind of deck to work. Thinking about the situations where he could work is interesting to me, because this is a pretty new effect to evaluate.

ironmang

When are full spoilers set to be released? Thinking about building Bant Company if they reveal some card that can replace Jace's spot in the curve. Jace actually isn't all that necessary so any bant colored 2 drop rare creature would be a potential inclusion.

Well yeah, it's not as good as Dark Confidant, but Dark Confidant is utterly ridiculous. That said, the cost being three instead of two certainly has the potential to hold it back. I think at 1R 2/1 Menace to mirror Confidant it would be much stronger than what we're actually getting, which may well be why this is what we're getting.

red13th

Probably friday I think? They usually release the full spoiler on fridays.

I'm absolutely loving this set, it's beautiful and has some nice cards for cube, Asylum Keeper looks like a major beating, Sin Prodder is exciting too, and both fill very lukewarm spots (aggro black 2-drop and red 3-drop).

Ooccoo

When are full spoilers set to be released? Thinking about building Bant Company if they reveal some card that can replace Jace's spot in the curve. Jace actually isn't all that necessary so any bant colored 2 drop rare creature would be a potential inclusion.

Friday

Sin Prodder reminds me of Goblin Rabblemaster.

Rabblemaster is probably better, but many people underestimated its ability at first too, because it was just a gray ogre.

Angry Grimace

Friday, but the full set spoiler will have nothing interesting in it beyond the filler commons for limited. FFL misses a lot, but they very rarely miss power limited cards or cards with any kind of constructed application in the spoiler season.

OnPoint

Friday, but the full set spoiler will have nothing interesting in it beyond the filler commons for limited. FFL misses a lot, but they very rarely miss power limited cards or cards with any kind of constructed application in the spoiler season.

We can always hope for another Boros Reckoner...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom