• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

I'm still not 100% sure we're getting a new Sorin. He's plot integral but so was Jace in BFZ; Jace/Arlinn/Nahiri and then Lili/Tamiyo (or Tibalt?) in Eldritch Moon feels more likely to me.

DrArchon

Nahiri looks as dope as I'd hoped. Not as equipment focus as I thought she'd end up, but that probably would've made her worse competitively. It's for the best.

+2 on her is fantastic and I love how the discard/draw is optional. Always good to have options. And looky here, another way to exile dudes. Very nice. Ultimate doesn't feel very "ultimate" to me though seeing as she only grabs one dude. Still a more effective ultimate than all of the ones that grab your whole deck thanks to the haste, but the Timmy in me doesn't like it as much.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm going to laugh if they have another set with Jace on the cover of the set and no Jace card.

Her -2 being "kill a dude" is really strong,.

Sorin is on a pack art. He's in as a PW.

Her -2 isn't kill a dude. It's kill a tapped dude that happened to fail to kill her.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
If you have a good hand, there is a very real possibility that Nahiri does exactly nothing. I don't know if that's where you want to be on your 4th turn. But if you have a hand of nothing, being able to draw into something is nice.

And there is the possibility of tutoring out a lone Ulamog...lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If you have a good hand, there is a very real possibility that Nahiri does exactly nothing. I don't know if that's where you want to be on your 4th turn. But if you have a hand of nothing, being able to draw into something is nice.

And there is the possibility of tutoring out a lone Ulamog...lol

He doesn't get the cast trigger, so they just block, lose 20 cards and then keep playing.

kirblar

Gee, I wonder what sort of thing Nahiri could be summoning that would require a "return to the hand" rider to be put on the card. :p

Toxi

Banned
Avacyn says hi.

Sinister concoction is a double madness/delirium enabler, which is cute.

Nahiri: http://www.gatheringmagic.com/jarvisyu-031416-nahiri-for-standard/

JY_1.png
That last ability is... Odd.

Like from what I can tell it's a riff on Red's Sneak Attack abilities, but both Red and White have the worst tutoring of the colors so it's odd a RW Planeswalker would have a tutoring ultimate.

Also, she's not a vampire. So that's not what Sorin did. Is it just what happened to Zendikar that she is mad about?
I mean, that's what I'd assume she's mad about. Having Eldrazi attack your home (Again!) kinda sucks.

kirblar

That last ability is... Odd.

Like from what I can tell it's a riff on Red's Sneak Attack abilities, but both Red and White have the worst tutoring of the colors so it's odd a RW Planeswalker would have a tutoring ultimate.
It's a flavor thing. She's a harbinger for something specific.

Yeef

This explains why they needed two separate checklist cards:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/chasing-shadows-part-1-2016-03-14
As for the second idea, the design team embraced the idea of having a "double-faced cards matter" theme. Instead of one double-faced card per booster pack, we raised it to two and then made a bunch of cards that cared about things being or having been transformed. The green-blue Draft archetype became the "transformation matters" deck. In the end, though, this theme didn't play well enough to keep. We ended up lowering the as-fan of the double-faced cards from two per pack down to about one and a half, meaning you always get one and sometimes get two.

[EDIT]
She was strongarmed into letting it happen. She's pissed about Zendikar, and doubly pissed that she was forced to help.
In the story where she woke up after thousands of years of sleep, she was surprised to find that there were vampires on Zendikar since they had never existed on Zendikar before her hibernation. It's possible that Sorin had something to do with that as well.

Chorazin

Love Startled Awake. WAY too expensive for anything outside of EDH (and even then it's a lot), but it's a super cool design.

Seems like a bomb in sealed. Turn four make your opponent discard near half of his deck at that point? Crazy!

Might not be a great idea if they are playing a graveyard deck, but all others it would be a killer.

G.ZZZ

Comment on both cards mostly from a Legacy standpoint:

Nahiri:

Is this better than Ajani Vengeant? It's really similar. It start with 4 Loyalty which is really good as a +2 put you at 6. Tapped creature removal i'm not sure how relevant is it, but it seems decent and versatile, and the ult win the game , which is 3 turns from when you drop it.

I think it's fringe playable and a really interesting design. I think the fact that an artifact has to be tapped basically make the artifact exile ability way too unreliable as most played artifacts in this format don't tap or when they tap they bounce and tap at instant speed at your EOT most of the time.

Personally i really like it. It seems like a more controllish Daretti which can ulti extremely fast. I think the fact that she's essentially a 3 turn clock and card filter on top of it will really make obnoxious in standard/modern formats (if she's worded like this, new Emmy has probably another on-cast trigger and no attack-trigger for it to be balanced in standard).

Compared to Ajani
- higher starting loyalty, ramp loyalty much faster (3 turns ult compared to 5 turns ult)
- better on stalled/empty boards being able to sift your library for bombs/answers
- better vs enchantments

cons:
- worse vs more aggressive decks
- can't keep lands tapped down, acting as a pseudo-port
- dunno

Emo Vindicate:

Seems pretty good. I think instant and exile is more relevant than 3 life and hitting lands. Exile mean no recurring Vs huge monsters and instant can hit them before they hit you saving more than three life. Against lands this is better than vindicate because lands can recur anyway and this kill end step marit lage. Against D&T this is again better because it can be used in upkeep in response to port. Even Vs burn it's questionable as removing big swiftspear on block step can be worth more than 3 life. Vs eldrazi it can kill tks in response to trigger etc...

I think the biggest problem of this card in legacy is that wb decks often want to tap out so the instant speed become much less relevant. I'd try a couple in esper deathblade though

Avacyn says hi.

Sinister concoction is a double madness/delirium enabler, which is cute.

Nahiri: http://www.gatheringmagic.com/jarvisyu-031416-nahiri-for-standard/

JY_1.png

Get in my Boros Angels. RW PW that also loots, not much more I could have asked for. Her minus is gonna be a powerhouse in EDH.

The blue mythic just seems like a 5 mana reanimateable blocker. There could be an interesting rogue mill deck though with the blue enchantment from Origins.

OnPoint

I mean, we didn't even know she existed until a little while ago. I wouldn't say she was retconned - I'd say she was created specifically for this plot line.

Exactly. She was always referred to as "The Lithomancer" before the Commander deck that centered on her. I think they had a bead on what they wanted on her, and I don't think any retcons took place. It's just that there's thousands of years between then and now and we don't have all the details yet.

Are Kor immortal? How is she alive?

Toxi

Banned
I mean, we didn't even know she existed until a little while ago. I wouldn't say she was retconned - I'd say she was created specifically for this plot line.
Well we've known she's existed since the original Zendikar block, we've just had basically nothing concrete until recently.

And yeah, she was hardly retconned.

EDIT: wow did I make a mistake reading the blue mythic

red13th

Nahiri's card is beautiful but I like Ajani Vengeant better.
Zero cards for my cube so far, outside of new Vindicate (and I'm hoping they reprint actual Vindicate in EMA so I won't add even that one). Oh and the 2/1 vampire that transforms into a 3/2.

Angry Grimace

Get in my Boros Angels. RW PW that also loots, not much more I could have asked for. Her minus is gonna be a powerhouse in EDH.

The blue mythic just seems like a 5 mana reanimateable blocker. There could be an interesting rogue mill deck though with the blue enchantment from Origins.

I can think of something I would have asked for: Ajani Vengeant :(

Firemind

Exactly. She was always referred to as "The Lithomancer" before the Commander deck that centered on her. I think they had a bead on what they wanted on her, and I don't think any retcons took place. It's just that there's thousands of years between then and now and we don't have all the details yet.

Are Kor immortal? How is she alive?
If she has a lust for revenge for luring the eldrazi to her plane and let loose, then what happened between Zen 1 and 2? Plotting an elaborate plan isn't very white.

OnPoint

If she has a lust for revenge for luring the eldrazi to her plane and let loose, then what happened between Zen 1 and 2? Plotting an elaborate plan isn't very white.

She was missing for the events of Zen 1 for unknown reasons. It's more "What happened between Nahiri/Sorin/Ugin trapping the Eldrazi on Zen and SOI". Plus "plotting revenge" seems red to me, hence her not being mono-white anymore.

Firemind

I mean, if she was really concerned about her plane, she would have arrived the moment the Eldrazi were freed and yet she didn't -for reasons unknown- (implying retcon).

and also waiting 10,000 years for her revenge.

shoplifter

Just reminds me that I need to sell my dual lands, moxes, mana drains, and other good vintage/legacy stuff.

I really wish I had time to play, but when I play MTG it eats up time I should be spending on my kids.

Angry Grimace

I mean, if she was really concerned about her plane, she would have arrived the moment the Eldrazi were freed and yet she didn't -for reasons unknown- (implying retcon).

It's modern MTG; everything gets retconned on a whim. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if they retconned Jace out of Shadows Over Innistrad.

jph139

I mean, Kor aren't generally immortal, and from what we last saw she was asleep inside of a rock or something on Zendikar, waking up to stop the Eldrazi whenever they got restless over the millennia. But she was NOT around for the first Zendikar block, so something got in the way there.

So something happened post-mending to A) keep Nahiri alive and B) prevent her from intervening with the Eldrazi. That something is probably Sorin and Ugin's fault, we just don't know what it is yet.

Maybe it was Bolas.

Jhriad

that's amazing art even though parts of it look cg

Parts? Pretty much the whole thing reeks of it.

The pack art is vastly superior to that dross.

Anguished Unmaking seems to be the first no-crap, definitely going to get played card spoiled, right? Thing in the Ice is a brew around card in modern, but it's not a for sure thing. Anything else I'm missing that will for sure see constructed play?

Avacyn, Relentless Dead, Lightning Axe, Fiery Temper, Declaration in Stone, Eerie Interlude, and Topplegeist will probably all see play.

The Adder

Banned

Her plan isn't particularly elaborate, is it?

"I'm going to fuck your shit up, Sorin. Just all of it."

Gee, I wonder what sort of thing Nahiri could be summoning that would require a "return to the hand" rider to be put on the card. :p

Emrakul Replica, Legendary Artifact Creature with flying, annihilator 6, and "at end of turn, you lose the game."

Flavor text: "Happy now?"

Angry Grimace

I mean, Kor aren't generally immortal, and from what we last saw she was asleep inside of a rock or something on Zendikar, waking up to stop the Eldrazi whenever they got restless over the millennia. But she was NOT around for the first Zendikar block, so something got in the way there.

So something happened post-mending to A) keep Nahiri alive and B) prevent her from intervening with the Eldrazi. That something is probably Sorin and Ugin's fault, we just don't know what it is yet.

Maybe it was Bolas.

Nahiri can turn herself into a rock.

Just reminds me that I need to sell my dual lands, moxes, mana drains, and other good vintage/legacy stuff.

I really wish I had time to play, but when I play MTG it eats up time I should be spending on my kids.

If you hold those cards instead of selling, you could provide your kids a college education in a few years by selling them.

If moxes refers to real original moxes.

:0P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom