• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

I dunno, I think it was a mistake to reveal Nahiri without the narrative for her return and what not. Too many questions for a very important plot character. She should have been spoiled in Wednesday's story article, not whatever constructed article ran on GatheringMagic.

Also, she's not a vampire. So that's not what Sorin did. Is it just what happened to Zendikar that she is mad about?

Well the question becomes how is she still alive. Will be interesting to see the story.

New Nahiri is super good. Enables Madness/Delirium, kills stuff, summons Emrakul. Being a worse Dack Fayden is still better than almost every planeswalker printed.

I can't wait to see the rare land cycle. Right now the wedge mana seems a lot better than shards. New Utter End and Nahiri could go into a midrange deck together.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Cdhg5aGVAAATC9_.jpg:large

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";198323605]New Nahiri is super good. Enables Madness/Delirium, kills stuff, summons Emrakul. Being a worse Dack Fayden is still better than almost every planeswalker printed.

I can't wait to see the rare land cycle. Right now the wedge mana seems a lot better than shards. New Utter End and Nahiri could go into a midrange deck together.[/QUOTE]lmao

And mana is garbage right now until we see the rare land cycle.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";198323975]As a general sentiment, not necessarily that Nahiri is there. I was responding to her being a worse dack fayden. That's not really an insult.[/QUOTE]

I just don't see it. She has a loot and that's all she really has in common with Dack.

Also, in Commander, Doubling Season + a Planeswalker should win you any game. It's not nearly as funny as ultimating Sarkhan Unbroken in Scion of the Ur-Dragon and bringing out all 5 Dragonlords (you just win).

Nahiri seems like one of those cases where a planeswalker's ability set is designed around the story rather than around personality or being a coherent card (It's a bit of a complete mishmash of abilities). The first two abilities are fine for a RW planeswalker and the Viashino/Dash on creatures part of the ultimate isn't an issue, but the tutoring aspect is quite off colour and the artifact aspect is just weird in general. You have a red ability, a white ability, and then some sort of unholy URG ability.

Honestly, it's the highly unusual nature of the ultimate that makes this card interesting to me. It can do all sorts of quirky nonsense along with simply doing some things that red and white normally aren't allowed to do.

In most sets I'd be unsure if she's worth a first pick in limited, but with Madness and Delirium her +2 is much stronger than it would otherwise be. She's going to struggle defending herself a bit, though.

Okay, new Nahiri in this set was the first total surprise of this season for me. I really figured if she was coming it was next set. It really seems unlikely to me that they'd go with Lili as the only PW in the next set so hopefully this means Tamiyo #2.

I'm still not 100% sure we're getting a new Sorin.

Blake who runs the website confirmed his PW card is getting spoiled this week.

I'm going to laugh if they have another set with Jace on the cover of the set and no Jace card.

Seems increasingly possible now! This'll be a big change if the face character doesn't have to get a card.

Gee, I wonder what sort of thing Nahiri could be summoning that would require a "return to the hand" rider to be put on the card. :p

Cute.

Also, she's not a vampire. So that's not what Sorin did. Is it just what happened to Zendikar that she is mad about?

My ten bucks is on "she was stuck in the Helvault" now.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";198324247]Doubling Season is even better with Jace AoT.[/QUOTE]

I always liked the janky non-Commander combo where you use Doubling Season + Jace to cast more and more Jaces out of your library and more and more things out of your opponents library. There's a lot of reasons I don't like Nahiri's card but the biggest one is that I don't think she reliably protects herself and at its worst, her + is just card selection. I don't want to give her a bunch of credit for Madness until I see a constructed level Madness card that isn't just Lightning Bolt because I'm not putting Nahiri in my deck to play Lightning Bolt.

the tutoring aspect is quite off colour and the artifact aspect is just weird in general.

Both red and white can tutor for artifacts to some degree. Tutoring for creatures is mostly green but bleeds into white in a number of cases. It's not a huge bend when we're talking PW ultimate IMO.

Someone on reddit made a good point that Nahiri has Tibalt's fixed + ability. His appearance is becoming increasingly unlikely. Especially with the oversaturation of red and black already

Angry Grimace

Really like that equipment, you can tell how much untapped design space they have with DFCs.

It's a guarantee that the new Emrakul is going to have some legit bananas ETB effect.

Out of the 5 titan cards that exist in Emrakul, Kozilek, Ulamog, Ulamog2, Kozilek2, 0 of them have an ETB at all.

Angry Grimace

Also:

"But Fiery Temper is just too aggressively costed to be a modern-day burn spell."

I guess Lightning Strike is just too good in general now. I understand the idea you want to "play Magic" but that doesn't really mean "nothing but dudes turning sideways." I mean, I get they sort of mean "aggressively costed for a spell you play on discard" but still.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";198325281]When circular logic and psychatog get reprints you'll be a believer.

:D[/QUOTE]

If Circular Logic was reprinted everyone would quit

Crocodile

CdhaSqRUUAATiIS.jpg

Hedron Magic tm

I'm guessing Nahiri's still alive because she's a super wizard who has magic and shit.

I mean they've made a pretty big deal that PWs are mortal now. So they kind of have to go out of their way to explain why any PW older than like 100 is still alive

Also:

"But Fiery Temper is just too aggressively costed to be a modern-day burn spell."

I guess Lightning Strike is just too good in general now. I understand the idea you want to "play Magic" but that doesn't really mean "nothing but dudes turning sideways." I mean, I get they sort of mean "aggressively costed for a spell you play on discard" but still.

Yeah I wasn't a fan of that passage. If Fiery Temper was such a chore to get into the set I don't want a bunch of shitty, nerfed Madness cards in this set :/

I always liked the janky non-Commander combo where you use Doubling Season + Jace to cast more and more Jaces out of your library and more and more things out of your opponents library. There's a lot of reasons I don't like Nahiri's card but the biggest one is that I don't think she reliably protects herself and at its worst, her + is just card selection. I don't want to give her a bunch of credit for Madness until I see a constructed level Madness card that isn't just Lightning Bolt because I'm not putting Nahiri in my deck to play Lightning Bolt.

This is fair enough. We certainly have not seen enough Madness yet to justify building around it in any way. This goes double for Limited since, beyond the lack of Madness, Delirium hasn't been seen on anything below uncommon. We can work on the assumption that there will be enough in the end to at least justify a splash for her in the right decks but it's possible we'll be left disappointed.

Both red and white can tutor for artifacts to some degree. Tutoring for creatures is mostly green but bleeds into white in a number of cases. It's not a huge bend when we're talking PW ultimate IMO.

To a slight degree. It's mostly the combination of it all together that feels really off. Yeah, they dabble now and again but the totally package is at least somewhat surprising. Only the Haste and return to hand part save it from being totally off to me. Granted, they're also what save it from being totally boring as well.

What about promo Circular Logic with new art?

Ideally it should be abstract creepy Innistrad art but realistically it would probably just be a picture of Jace

Angry Grimace

What about promo Circular Logic with new art?

Ideally it should be abstract creepy Innistrad art but realistically it would probably just be a picture of Jace

There's pretty much no card less likely to see print than Circular Logic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqz5dbs5zmo

Not a fan of the art. It looks like a crappy movie poster, inexplicable blue color palette and all. Nahiri herself has a bland pose and doesn't match the rest of the composition.

Cool Kor don't look at explosions. Apparently neither do Vampires since Sorin has two different pieces of art with him blowing up Avacyn like a badass and he's not looking in either one.

To a slight degree. It's mostly the combination of it all together that feels really off. Yeah, they dabble now and again but the totally package is at least somewhat surprising.

Honestly, as written it would feel a lot weirder to me on a red-green card, since green hates artifacts. I think it works.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
That equipment seems pretty good actually. It won't unattach when it and the creature transform correct?

Correct, when a double-faced card "Transforms" it does not leave the battlefield so it does not lose counters, equipment, etc... (unless the card specifically states to exile the card first, like the Planeswalkers from Origins)

Angry Grimace

Anguished Unmaking is an obvious staple card. It's the best removal that's been in Standard in a long time.

OnPoint

Sad about Tibalt.

The Nahiri minus ability has precedence concerning red/white enchantment removal:

You still need white. So I don't see why this is so surprising. Let's be honest: She's far more white than red as a character.

Angry Grimace

It depends on the environment. 3 life is not a sacrifice you want to make against some decks.

Unless they magically make red aggro good again (Monastery Swiftspear isn't walking through that door), there's no reason to not run at least a copy or two if you're in those colors. It answers everything.

kirblar

Unless they magically make red aggro good again (Monastery Swiftspear isn't walking through that door), there's no reason to not run at least a copy or two if you're in those colors. It answers everything.
Theyve been making stupid red stupid good for the past few years.

OnPoint

The last few standard seasons have had a red-base aggro deck in real play, if not winning tournaments. Why do people always forget this?

Sad about Tibalt.

The Nahiri minus ability has precedence concerning red/white enchantment removal:

You still need white. So I don't see why this is so surprising. Let's be honest: She's far more white than red as a character.

Well yeah. The -2 is a white ability. Enchantment removal and conditional creature removal are both white abilities. The conditional part of the artifact removal is a bit weird, but still fits into RW nicely.

It depends on the environment. 3 life is not a sacrifice you want to make against some decks.

Sure, there are a few decks where it's not what you want, but it's still worth a main deck copy or two. At worst you can board it out after game 1.

Angry Grimace

Theyve been making stupid red stupid good for the past few years.

It's not stupid good right now and its not even cheap so not that many people play it. And sure, you could argue that nothing beats 4-color goodstuff, but they've been putting incidental lifegain on freakin' everything for a while now.

The last few standard seasons have had a red-base aggro deck in real play, if not winning tournaments. Why do people always forget this?

The last few standard seasons had Monastery Swiftspear in them, which is literally the best red aggro card ever, and they've made it crystal clear they're not printing the kind of burn which those decks need for reach anymore (see earlier discussion on Fiery Temper). Like, the only burn base-red aggro even has now for reach is Atarka's Command, which becomes a lot worse without christmasland fetching.

TK-421

Do we keep a list somewhere of MTGO GAF players? I could use some people to play Commander with since playing randoms gets me the occasional infinite turn/turn 3-4 instakill and would like some more casual opponents.

OnPoint

The last few standard seasons had Monastery Swiftspear in them, which is literally the best red aggro card ever, and they've made it crystal clear they're not printing the kind of burn which those decks need for reach anymore (see earlier discussion on Fiery Temper). Like, the only burn base-red aggro even has now for reach is Atarka's Command, which becomes a lot worse without christmasland fetching.

Even going back as far as Innistrad-RTR standard we had mono-red making waves.

Firemind

Do we keep a list somewhere of MTGO GAF players? I could use some people to play Commander with since playing randoms gets me the occasional infinite turn/turn 3-4 instakill and would like some more casual opponents.
CWW

I only have budget EDH.

JulianImp

CWW

I only have budget EDH.

I have a very old account with just a couple cards and five or so tickets in it (I did have a zombie deck back in TSP standard), so I might join in if I somehow manage to find a way to build a halfway decent deck on that budget.

Angry Grimace

"You don't have anything to do Grimace; play some Sealed League"

*first opponent on R/W with Tazri, multiple removal spells, Endbringer, Munda"

Oh yeah, fuck that.

Even going back as far as Innistrad-RTR standard we had mono-red making waves.

Standard that had Boros Charm and Searing Spear in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom