• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So, basically there's almost always a few cards in Standard that make Red playable but you'll write it off because Card X and Card Y were in the format? ;)
Yeah, you're right. My argument is invalid because [incorrect summary of argument].

The problem is that they're moving towards creature based aggro, except simultaneously putting in increasingly better creature options for midrange decks, e.g. Sylvan Messenger, etc.

So, basically there's almost always a few cards in Standard that make Red playable but you'll write it off because Card X and Card Y were in the format? ;)

BFZ OGW gave us these...

100.jpg
134.jpg

Never understood why touch is a sorcery, there isn't enough protection going round anymore

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So I'm doing what you're doing then?

EDIT: Quick on the edit there.

No, I'm making an argument with examples. You're making pithy emptyposts. The context of the discussion is whether mono-red aggro strategies are actually good enough to make it so that players won't play any copies of Anguished Unmaking. I probably *wouldn't* play Anguished Unmaking if red was as good as it was in KTK, but Stoke the Flames and Lightning Strike aren't cards anymore.

OnPoint

So basically you'll just ignore my argument to be a smartass?
I know it wasn't directed at me, but I wanted to go the example route:

T1: Rakdos Cackler/Stromkirk Noble
T2: Rakdos Shredfreak
T3: Any combination of burn/cheap creatures
T4: Falkenrath Aristocrat
Win

And win it did. It was a pain in the ass back then. Burn gave it some reach, but it was enabled due to the creatures.

JulianImp

Even going back as far as Innistrad-RTR standard we had mono-red making waves.

I know it isn't strictly monocolor, but I raise you the CHK-RAV standard, where Gruul was a deck I got tired of seeing when I played some NQT or whatever. Into the third round I jokingly said "I guess I've finally gotten away from all the gruul decks", only for my opponent to shrug and say that he was actually playing gruul as well. That was kind of awkward.

My B/G Endless March deck was pure jank, seriously. In the end I even had to face against a guy with a freaking Zubera constructed deck, and it was actually hard for me to win. While I'm at it, I'd better award a shout out goes to a guy who'd later go on to win the Argentine nationals once, Leonardo Calcagno, who coached me into making awful trades with him such as trading for his Gleancrawlers instead of Grave-Shell Scarabs because he insisted the former were better for my deck than the latter.

Oh, and that reminds me he also traded my Tundra for his Blacker Lotus several years before that, back when I was just getting started with the game. I had gotten the dual for next to nothing from a guy from school who was out of the game so I didn't end up losing money per se, but it's still a pain knowing that I parted with a card that my present self would much rather have over a freaking unglued card (damn my younger self's inability to understand what actually made a card valuable).

What I took from that was that I'd never trade scam newer players, and have often ended up giving them more than what they expected to make a trade actually fair. It's actually really nice to see how I end up with something I know I need (like, say, a shockland) and they get several powerful (read: not bulk/spare) rares and uncommons of mine to seriously upgrade their decks.

Angry Grimace

I know it wasn't directed at me, but I wanted to go the example route:

T1: Rakdos Cackler/Stromkirk Noble
T2: Rakdos Shredfreak
T3: Any combination of burn/cheap creatures
T4: Falkenrath Aristocrat
Win

And win it did. It was a pain in the ass back then. Burn gave it some reach, but it was enabled due to the creatures.

The issue I'm seeing is that you can still put the same amount of power on the board now, its just that blockers are semi-randomly too good now. The point isn't whether you can play competitive games of Magic with mono-red - you can do that with Atarka Red right now. The issue is whether its dominant enough to prevent people from mainboarding a copy or two of Anguished Unmaking, or Painful Truths for another card with the same life cost (and I would argue Painful Truths's lifecost is worse because Unmaking affects the board immediately in response to something that would cost you more than 3 life)

But when Stoke and Strike were both in play, mono-red was arguably the best deck and maindecking a card like that is a lot more questionable.

OnPoint

The issue I'm seeing is that you can still put the same amount of power on the board now, its just that blockers are semi-randomly too good now. The point isn't whether you can play competitive games of Magic with mono-red - you can do that with Atarka Red right now. The issue is whether its dominant enough to prevent people from mainboarding a copy or two of Anguished Unmaking, or Painful Truths for another card with the same life cost (and I would argue Painful Truths's lifecost is worse because Unmaking affects the board immediately in response to something that would cost you more than 3 life)
I think we were on two separate wavelengths. I was honing in on this specifically:

The last few standard seasons had Monastery Swiftspear in them, which is literally the best red aggro card ever, and they've made it crystal clear they're not printing the kind of burn which those decks need for reach anymore (see earlier discussion on Fiery Temper). Like, the only burn base-red aggro even has now for reach is Atarka's Command, which becomes a lot worse without christmasland fetching.
I was more making the argument that mono-red aggro can and has existed in the past without burn, so just because there might not be good burn now, that doesn't mean we can't have a good mono-red or red-based aggro deck. Swiftspear is, undoubtedly, worse without good burn. I agree with that totally.

Angry Grimace

I think we were on two separate wavelengths. I was honing in on this specifically:

I was more making the argument that mono-red aggro can and has existed in the past without burn, so just because there might not be good burn now, that doesn't mean we can't have a good mono-red or red-based aggro deck. Swiftspear is, undoubtedly, worse without good burn. I agree with that totally.

I'm just struggling to think of a good red aggro deck that didn't have like Brimstone Volley or Searing Spear (or going back further, just Lightning Bolt) in it.

Jhriad

BFZ OGW gave us these...

It also gave us a few cards that slotted into Atarka Red like Reckless Bushwhacker and Cinder Glade. It just didn't add nearly as much to that deck because that deck wasn't looking to splash practically every color for all the Good Stuff™. The deck was still playable, it just didn't get the advantages of running 4-5 colors like all the other decks.

No, I'm making an argument with examples.

And you're writing off the examples of previous formats made by others by saying that those examples are only good because of "X, Y, and Z" which is really just ignoring the plausibility of their examples because of a few facts that are inconvenient to your point. If you want to consider contextual importance that's fine but we don't have the full context for the the format yet because we have only seen like a quarter of the newest set and we don't know how well they'll be enabling Red based Aggro decks, particularly ones centered around Madness (or potentially Skulk with combat tricks, I suppose). If Madness is well enabled, for instance, things like Fiery Temper and Lightning Axe become a lot more relevant.

Angry Grimace

It also gave us a few cards that slotted into Atarka Red like Reckless Bushwhacker and Cinder Glade. It just didn't add nearly as much to that deck because that deck wasn't looking to splash practically every color for all the Good Stuff™. The deck was still playable, it just didn't get the advantages of running 4-5 colors like all the other decks.

And you're writing off the examples of previous formats made by others by saying that those examples are only good because of "X, Y, and Z" which is really just ignoring the plausibility of their examples because of a few facts that are inconvenient to your point. If you want to consider contextual importance that's fine but we don't have the full context for the the format yet because we have only seen like a quarter of the newest set and we don't know how well they'll be enabling Red based Aggro decks, particularly ones centered around Madness (or potentially Skulk with combat tricks, I suppose). If Madness is well enabled, for instance, things like Fiery Temper and Lightning Axe become a lot more relevant.
I'm legitimately not following why you're upset.

The decks you guys are listing absolutely DID run cards like Brimstone Volley, Boros Charm, Lightning Bolt and Searing Spear and they were important parts of the decks. If you're arguing that those decks would have been good if the burn spells that were in them weren't in them, that's just speculating.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I don't understand what the hell either one of y'all are about. Red decks have always been contenders by design. They have always run some combo of small creatures and burn spells. Sometimes, they top out with a big red dummy like Hellrider or Thundermaw. Sligh dates back to 1996.

On a separate note we need Hellrider back.

Angry Grimace

The point was that I would guess Anguished Unmaking is a playable maindeck card unless really aggressive decks are Tier 1 decks you are almost sure to play against.

Its not like I said "red decks are going to be so bad you should keep Anguished Unmaking in your deck post sideboard." I'm just saying I don't find it likely the best deck will have 18-20 mountains in it like in KTK/THS.

Angry Grimace

Wolf-chat:

I was like, "Well, that Wolf seems worse in constructed than Dark Dwellers for the cost, but it does represent a lot of damage if you have Ulamog or something to throw." And then I saw it not only goes out of its way to not really let you use Madness with it, but it also doesn't go to the face. :(

OnPoint

Wolf-chat:

I was like, "Well, that Wolf seems worse in constructed than Dark Dwellers for the cost, but it does represent a lot of damage if you have Ulamog or something to throw." And then I saw it not only goes out of its way to not really let you use Madness with it, but it also doesn't go to the face. :(

Why can't you use madness? Sucks that you can't go to the face though, damn.

Angry Grimace

Why can't you use madness? Sucks that you can't go to the face though, damn.

You can, it just has a mana cost strapped to it. I mean, if it didn't have the extra mana cost, I don't know that it would be all that good anyways. It isn't like I have a problem with Limited Bombs, I just think its fundamentally weird when they drop a limited bomb at Mythic. Like, in some ways I understand why they do that (they don't want it ruining games), but if all it does is ruin games, it seems like a design problem.

Wait a minute, that sounds a lot like I hate limited bombs that just ruin shit for no reason.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You can, it just has a mana cost strapped to it. I mean, if it didn't have the extra mana cost, I don't know that it would be all that good anyways. It isn't like I have a problem with Limited Bombs, I just think its fundamentally weird when they drop a limited bomb at Mythic. Like, in some ways I understand why they do that (they don't want it ruining games), but if all it does is ruin games, it seems like a design problem.

Wait a minute, that sounds a lot like I hate limited bombs that just ruin shit for no reason.

it does cost five mana though, so hypothetically if you cast it and attack with it you're going to have 5-6 mana open

Angry Grimace

"thequietvoicethatstillsthesky asked: I see way too much complaint from Spikes. Almost every card 'isn't good enough'. I occasionally hear Timmy complaints like Day's Undoing not working with Quicken. But I never hear Johnny complaints. I think I'm going to become a Johnny complainer. I'd just like to officially say that I think Avacyn should've costed 4 more and started off as an 9/9 with trample."

Did someone really complain about that? Because if the end the turn stipulation applied to Quicken + Day's Undoing, it would be Counterspell + Timetwister + Time Walk for 4 mana.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
"thequietvoicethatstillsthesky asked: I see way too much complaint from Spikes. Almost every card 'isn't good enough'. I occasionally hear Timmy complaints like Day's Undoing not working with Quicken. But I never hear Johnny complaints. I think I'm going to become a Johnny complainer. I'd just like to officially say that I think Avacyn should've costed 4 more and started off as an 9/9 with trample."

Did someone really complain about that? Because if the end the turn stipulation applied to Quicken + Day's Undoing, it would be Counterspell + Timetwister + Time Walk for 4 mana.

Remember that guy who lost his shit because he thought Day's Undoing was going to devalue his Timetwister? Who knew that card would be so contentious! And with zero play!

ultron87

Trigger on the dog is also weird in that if your opponent wants to save their creature they have to do it before decide to pay and discard a card, so you can then just choose not to and they've wasted their trick.

El Topo

Why in the world would a Timmy care about Quicken or Day's Undoing? I like the whole Johnny complainer idea though.

Yeef

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";198337033]Wolf of Devil's Breach is the most wildly unplayable fire dog in mtg since Ember Swallower.[/QUOTE]Ember Swallower is sweet. Making a dude big and locking the game out is super useful in limited.

Angry Grimace

Don't like the CMC requirement on the discard. It should just be 4 damage

The design idea is probably that Madness spells have a higher CMC than they do Madness cost.

Firemind

That is the worst red mythic I have ever seen. I've fucking had it with red spells and abilities that can only deal damage to creatures and planeswalkers. Why the fuck are they shoehorning red into something other colors are just plain better at? Yes, I'm seething.

Angry Grimace

That is the worst red mythic I have ever seen. I've fucking had it with red spells and abilities that can only deal damage to creatures and planeswalkers. Why the fuck are they shoehorning red into something other colors are just plain better at? Yes, I'm seething.

If they were pushing it for constructed, it wouldn't have an activation cost and/or would have had an ability like haste, trample or menace. It's a ridiculous limited bomb though, which itself is kind of egregious.

G.ZZZ

Tales from a fringe format. Some nice 5-0 lists from the latest Legacy leagues (there were also 2-3 miracles, a land list, couple delver iirc):

Manipulate Fate Food Chain Griffins:

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Creature (18)
4 Baleful Strix
1 Birds of Paradise
4 Deathrite Shaman
2 Fierce Empath
4 Misthollow Griffin
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
1 Tidespout Tyrant
1 Vendilion Clique
Sorcery (5)
3 Manipulate Fate
2 Thoughtseize
Instant (13)
3 Abrupt Decay
4 Brainstorm
1 Dimir Charm
4 Force of Will
1 Misdirection
Enchantment (4)
4 Food Chain
Land (20)
1 Bayou
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Polluted Delta
1 Snow-Covered Forest
2 Snow-Covered Island
1 Snow-Covered Swamp
3 Tropical Island
3 Underground Sea
1 Verdant Catacombs

A midrangey creature combo deck that fight combo lists with 4 forces +1 misdirection maindeck and discard. Strix is just a super good card in legacy right now as it block marit lages, trade with any eldrazi and delvers at +1 card advantage. Misthollow griffin is a card that is getting played more and more in legacy lists as it make FoW and Misdirection essentially free and is immune to the most played removal card , StP. The peculiarity of the list is the amazingly obscure tech card manipulate fate : 1U sorcery exile 3 cards from your library and draw a card. Exiling three griffins feels like casting an ancestral for 1U or a demonic tutor that also draw a card. Win by getting infinite mana with food chain and a griffin in exile , hand or play (pitched to force or misdirection preferably), then bouncing everything with tyrant. There aren't many legacy decks where you can play 4 mana creatures, force and brainstorms in the same shell. Not to talk about fierce empath!

Barook's GW Eldrazi

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Creature (19)
1 Conduit of Ruin
4 Eldrazi Displacer
4 Eldrazi Mimic
4 Reality Smasher
4 Thought-Knot Seer
2 World Breaker
Instant (3)
3 Dismember
Artifact (13)
4 Chalice of the Void
3 Lotus Petal
2 Mox Diamond
3 Thorn of Amethyst
1 Umezawa's Jitte
Land (25)
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Brushland
4 Cavern of Souls
2 City of Traitors
4 Eldrazi Temple
2 Eye of Ugin
2 Karakas
3 Mishra's Factory

Barook is a regular sourcer with which i exchanged lots of ideas about Legacy eldrazis, and while i mainly developed the colorless version, he went and developed this GW build which is pretty sweet. As the colorless version, this deck play 4 chalices and some thorns as an anti-combo and anti-1 cmc cards (which are the majority of the format) in general , with tons of way to play them T1 thanks to sol lands , moxens, and lotus petals, which also double as colored mana producers for the colored eldrazis.
The main point of the build is being able to play World Breakers to destroy any hate card (and they are getting more and more common , especially blood moon and moat ), and displacer to win any mirror and any creature stall, plus exile random marit Lages or emrakuls. The SB (not showed) contain a SFM toolbox to completely wreck enemy "fair" creature lists, plus a sweet tech card in containment priest which combined with displacer permanently exile any creature.
His mox diamonds are probably about to become 1 more petal and 1 ESG. The Eldrazi menace in Legacy is real, even if by this format's standard, this is still a pretty fair deck which predate on delver and miracle lists.

BR Annex reanimator:

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Creature (10)
4 Chancellor of the Annex
4 Griselbrand
1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
1 Sire of Insanity
Sorcery (20)
4 Exhume
4 Faithless Looting
4 Reanimate
4 Thoughtseize
4 Unmask
Instant (8)
4 Dark Ritual
4 Entomb
Artifact (4)
4 Lotus Petal
Enchantment (4)
4 Animate Dead
Land (14)
3 Badlands
1 Bayou
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Polluted Delta
2 Swamp

A slightly less consistent but much harder to disrupt version of reanimator which kill opposite combo lists thanks to the tech of 4 chancellor of the annex which are both disruption and win conditions. Taken as a tech from Vintage Dredge, they work amazingly as both anti-enemy combo and anti-permission to protect the dream hands of T1 ritual->discard->reanimate. Slightly less consistent because of no blue and no brainstorm, the deck boast probably what are the fastest and hardest to contest T1 virtual wins in all of legacy. Common reanimators list which rely on FoW, while probably more consistent and well rounded thanks to the blue cards, can't really compare to a deck whose creatures to reanimate are also force spikes that cost 0.

Firemind

If they were pushing it for constructed, it wouldn't have an activation cost and/or would have had an ability like haste, trample or menace. It's a ridiculous limited bomb though, which itself is kind of egregious.
Balefire Dragon does the same fucking thing but better. And it's a motherfucking dragon so it's a more deserving mythic than this garbage.

OnPoint

That seems more like.

"What do I have at hand to fuck all of Sorin's shit u..."

*Emrakul floats by*

"That works."
Haha pretty much.

I mean, honestly, her being 'the Harbinger' and her ultimate say it's more intentional than that. Let's be honest. And maybe she's Harbinging (eh?) something else altogether -- I still would love the bait and switch.

Intro pack rares are junk, nothing to say there. I do notice that there seem to be an unusually high number of high-CMC cards.

startledawake.jpg
persistentnightmare.jpg
sinisterconcoction.jpg
angelofdeliverance.jpg

The first design is very fun, though of course, it isn't a powerful card by any means. The way one side is a sorcery and one is a creature is really interesting. I like how you can tell the story of a person constantly waking up out of a nightmare, only to wake up again to reveal that person was still dreaming. Sinister Concoction is another fun design, though it will be pretty bad unless there really are a lot of madness cards. Angel of Deliverance is a great reanimation target, if there are any good reanimation spells. It's interesting how the exile effect triggers on any damage it deals.

descenduponthesinful.jpg
anguishedunmaking.jpg
nahiritheharbinger.jpg

Descend upon the Sinful seems like it could be good, especially if delirium can be reliably achieved. Anguished Unmaking is obviously going to see Constructed play, and it's kind of silly that we had a big argument here about if it would. It's cute how both this and the newest art for Vindicate have Sorin disintegrating someone. Flavor text is junk, of course. For those complaining that it's weaker than Vindicate, remember that this is an instant, while that's a sorcery. Nahiri seems... alright. Concerning the ultimate, it seems fine for red to be able to temporarily bring a creature to the battlefield and then sacrifice it, with returning to the hand being a power boost.

neglectedheirloom.jpg
ashmouthblade.jpg
wolfofdevilsbreach.jpg

Neglected Heirloom is interesting. If werewolves are a thing this time, it may see play. Wolf of Devil's Breach is good in Limited, but it's hard to imagine it seeing Constructed play.

From the new Making Magic, it's interesting that madness was in the set from the start.
* Early on, they had a mechanic that gave players insanity counters (similar to poison), and various cards would care about the number of those counters. Skulk was also there from early to tie in, presumably to put on creatures with the insanity counter giving mechanic.
* Skulk was specifically created as a solution to Invisible Stalker's problem of putting power boosters on small hard-to-block creatures, so I expect we'll see a card based on it but with skulk.

Without any set articles but Making Magic, Magic Story, and Latest Developments, all of the other preview articles are just going to be called Card Preview. I was disappointed by this one, since I thought we were going to get actual design stories instead of a silly "going crazy" story. The only kernel of truth appears to be hesitation about reprinting Fiery Temper.

There are Curse cards in SOI
follower-of-liliana asked: I was heartbroken when I read your article today. What do you have to say to the sad minority of Curse fans out there?

Let me say, there aren’t zero curses.

Confirmation of four planeswalkers in this set
xraptor117 asked: How many planeswalkers do we get in this set ?

Four. : )

EDIT:
That's really cool. I was wondering why I didn't recognize the second card art, but it's from Commander 2013.

The Adder

Banned
Haha pretty much.

I mean, honestly, her being 'the Harbinger' and her ultimate say it's more intentional than that. Let's be honest. And maybe she's Harbinging (eh?) something else altogether -- I still would love the bait and switch.

I mean, if it's Emrakul, yeah she brought her there intentionally. But that seems less like a well thought out plan and more like grabbing the biggest rock you can lift and throwing it at some jerk's head.

Haha pretty much.

We know that Nahiri went to look for Sorin 1000 Years ago, that the 4th Angel was used to create Vampires, and that Avacyn killed that angel after being made 1000 years ago.

I'm almost wondering with Sorin being the guy of Checks and Balances if the massive death of Angels in the plane is going to cause something to go completely out of whack and that's Nahiri's plan. I mean, Sorin put a balance on Avacyn to effectively be inversely powerful to Humans, so it's not out of the question that the Angels were acting as a lock for whatever causes/is the Eldritch Moon.

My big issue is that I still haven't really heard a good option for what you could bait-and-switch into. Something that's totally explicable and normal (e.g. Nicol Bolas) doesn't fit with the flavor at all and thus would be extremely dumb. Something nobody's ever heard of could work, but it would mean the whole "mystery" plotline was kind of a dud since we had no actual information to unravel it. Marit Lage is people desperately raiding ancient b-plot storyline that WotC Creative would never tie into anything modern because #NeverEmrakul. What else is there?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
My big issue is that I still haven't really heard a good option for what you could bait-and-switch into. Something that's totally explicable and normal (e.g. Nicol Bolas) doesn't fit with the flavor at all and thus would be extremely dumb. Something nobody's ever heard of could work, but it would mean the whole "mystery" plotline was kind of a dud since we had no actual information to unravel it. Marit Lage is people desperately raiding ancient b-plot storyline that WotC Creative would never tie into anything modern because #NeverEmrakul. What else is there?

i think it could be not actually emrakul herself but a side effect of killing the other eldrazi

OnPoint

Dude it's totally Emrakul. I wanna preface by saying that I am 100% on the Emrakul train.

However...

What if Marit Lage is not a unique entity, but Lage is a type of ancient creature, like how Eldrazi is a creature type. And maybe every plane has one? Sort of an ancient one (Cthulu) that slumbers until awoken. We've seen briefly it on Dominaria with Marit Lage, but maybe Innistrad has its own, Eldrich Lage, and it was banished to the moon many eons ago. Nahiri found a way to awaken it and cause disaster.

Just off the top of my head. Their creative could do much better with such a concept and time to develop it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
is dominaria still the most important plane or did they drop that with all of the other stuff when they retconned all the lore

is dominaria still the most important plane or did they drop that with all of the other stuff when they retconned all the lore

There are two aspects to that:
* There haven't been any sets that take place solely on Dominaria since Time Spiral block years ago. They generally want to visit unique planes, instead of going to a new continent on Dominaria like they did in the old days.
* They have greatly deemphasized the fact that Dominaria is the center of the Multiverse. They actually did plan on outright changing Ravnica to the center of the Multiverse during the Return to Ravnica block, but they dropped that, presumably because (1) it's a rather esoteric setting detail that doesn't have a clear impact on anything, and (2) it would do nothing but anger older fans. Instead, they opted to make Jace princess of Ravnica.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom