• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm just saying there's room to make the body more relevant and keep the ETB, especially given how weak it is compared to Prime Time.

Reach was a pretty lame decision. Just give it Trample and its fine (even if it doesn't feel very Mythic even then). Besides, why the fuck would a hydra have reach?

Firemind

q7Hiq04.png
sigh another rage quitter who doesn't actually concede

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
sigh another rage quitter who doesn't actually concede

I like it when dudes try to AFK for exactly 9:30 and then come back hoping you left to get a sandwich so they can time you out. I always report those guys.

So bad, wouldn't even play in sealed.

Human tribal seems pretty bad, which is weird given they have Mythic tribal lord.

kirblar

Apparently the R/M DFCs are a 1in8 pack extra card. So the box value is indeed going to be spread thin like Inn1. Avacyn/Arlinn definitely the chase cards here.

Which will fit into their usual tired line "well standard is just too good right now and it would warp the format" just like inquisition of kozilek. Shit infuriates me

The underlying problem is that "let's reprint Modern playable stuff in Standard" is an idiotic plan to start with. They wasted time trying this out and pissed people off on both sides (by bringing back crap that wasn't good for the environment like Mutavault, then by not reprinting stuff people "expected" later on.) They really just need a coherent reprint strategy based on supplemental sets that isn't quite so limited in supply.

It's a stupid-ass design decision that every set has to have an "iconic" for each color. Green's "iconic" is the hydra.

Every set doesn't, though. Sphinx and Angel sat out Khans completely. The rule really only applies to dragons.

Apparently the R/M DFCs are a 1in8 pack extra card.

What do you mean extra?

Angry Grimace

The underlying problem is that "let's reprint Modern playable stuff in Standard" is an idiotic plan to start with. They wasted time trying this out and pissed people off on both sides (by bringing back crap that wasn't good for the environment like Mutavault, then by not reprinting stuff people "expected" later on.) They really just need a coherent reprint strategy based on supplemental sets that isn't quite so limited in supply.

Every set doesn't, though. Sphinx and Angel sat out Khans completely. The rule really only applies to dragons.

What do you mean extra?

Bigger supply of supplemental products; not so much in the way of $10 packs

CeVXodiVIAItyfX.png

Love the flavor.

That flavor is really weird if you get Kozilek and Ulamog

DrArchon

CeVXodiVIAItyfX.png

Love the flavor.

Interesting that this gets put back in your library after use. It's not like there aren't gonna be tons of ways to abuse that in EDH, so it's weird to see. Plus grabbing two creatures is just asking for two creatures that create some infinite combo together.

Great flavor though.

bigkrev

Sooooo I have an interview with Starcitygames for the Acquisitions job they posted this week. Thankfully, they offered me an opportunity to do a Skype interview because I live like 6 hours away!

Any advice?

Takuan

It's funny reading all the impressions of the hydra. While I agree, but I keep thinking about when I was first getting in to Magic and pulling a Dakkon Blackblade from a pack of Chronicles and thinking it was the coolest thing ever.
To be fair, Richard Kane-Ferguson made everything look like the coolest thing ever. Back then I would put any of his cards into a deck as long they fit my mana base. RKF da gawd.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Huh I didn't even realize dakkon blackblade had a whole back story that just kinda stops at the planeswalker war. I wanna know what happened to the dude damnit.

kirblar

I'm in New Jersey, about 20 minutes away from Philadelphia.

My brother lives in Washington DC, but I never realized how giant Virgina was, and that it's a 3+ hour drive from even DC.
I'm about 99% sure you don't want to take this job. Roanoke's waaaayyyyy down south - there's really nothing there in that town but fast food places and dying dreams.

Toxi

Banned
He was definitely my most prized card back in the day. His Esper colors are hilarious from the modern perspective.
Hell, even his flavor text seems to not agree with his color combination.

"My power is as vast as the plains; my strength is that of the mountains. Each wave that crashes upon the shore thunders like blood in my veins."

Hell, even his flavor text seems to not agree with his color combination.

"My power is as vast as the plains; my strength is that of the mountains. Each wave that crashes upon the shore thunders like blood in my veins."
That was some badass flavor text though...

bigkrev

I'm about 99% sure you don't want to take this job. Roanoke's waaaayyyyy down south - there's really nothing there in that town but fast food places and dying dreams.

Yeah, I didn't realize just how far south Roanoke was when I applied- It seems too close to North Carolina for my comfort after the last 24 hours. I'm still going to take the interview with an open mind, though- while I had an interview yesterday for an awesome job I really hope I get called back for, I'd probably find this more fun than 90% of other jobs I have been applying for.

Angry Grimace

I'm pretty sure Dakkon Blackblade is just some guys D&D avatar.

Haines

Banned
CeVXodiVIAItyfX.png

Love the flavor.

Maybe limited playable? Probably enough synergies to make it be worth it.

Mad-Prophet.jpg

This one seems hard to judge. The haste is probably meaningless. Discard before draw isn't what I want. But it'd a madness/delerium enabler.

What do you guys think if it?

Legends: A set full of legendaries with badass names, badass art, sometimes badass flavour text, and costs that were way too high for their P/T and abilities even by early Magic standards.

What is up with the art style in this set?

It's so much better than like the last 40 sets or however many since the last realistic portrayals on magic cards.

kirblar

Yeah, I didn't realize just how far south Roanoke was when I applied- It seems too close to North Carolina for my comfort after the last 24 hours. I'm still going to take the interview with an open mind, though- while I had an interview yesterday for an awesome job I really hope I get called back for, I'd probably find this more fun than 90% of other jobs I have been applying for.
Issue isn't even NC, it's that you're in appalacia.
What is up with the art style in this set?
They got to draft off of OG Innistrad's good art direction.

They buried it in Blake's update today- the R/M DFC appears to replace a common every one in 8 packs.

Ohhh okay. That makes sense. I thought you were saying packs would go to 16 cards which... uhhh.

That flavor is really weird if you get Kozilek and Ulamog

Cosi + Ula OTP 4evah ~cradle 2 da grave~

Raymond Swanland continues to make every single piece of art at a Dutch angle.

All of his references are probably being held up by a Wayne Reynolds character.

Glad to see Mad Prophet is back. It seemed like the perfect reprint.

I also love the flavor of Ever After. I guess they really are generally switching to "put on bottom of library" instead of "exile" for these cards that can get multiple things out of the graveyard. It makes sense, since the former can be interpreted as an upside, even though it mostly isn't.

kirblar

Glad to see Mad Prophet is back. It seemed like the perfect reprint.

I also love the flavor of Ever After. I guess they really are generally switching to "put on bottom of library" instead of "exile" for these cards that can get multiple things out of the graveyard. It makes sense, since the former can be interpreted as an upside, even though it mostly isn't.
I think the issue is processors- they're specifically avoiding having players feed their opponents' right now.

Ashodin

Creatures that usually say "Can't attack if" suck. However, it's a damn good blocker for 2 mana. Then it turns into a 4/4 that can race across the battlefield.

I'm inclined to think it's good.

Toxi

Banned
Maybe limited playable? Probably enough synergies to make it be worth it.

Mad-Prophet.jpg

This one seems hard to judge. The haste is probably meaningless. Discard before draw isn't what I want. But it'd a madness/delerium enabler.

What do you guys think if it?
I prefer the old flavor text.
51.jpg

DrArchon

Lambholt-Pacifist-Lambholt-Butcher.jpg

Not even going to try and judge it. I guess it blocks til you can get it to transform

Gonna be sick in draft to drop this on turn 2 and watch your opponent not play anything next turn. Looks like a pretty nice limited card even without that though. Good blocker for cheap, and has a way to attack without relying on transforming too.

Ashodin

Gonna be sick in draft to drop this on turn 2 and watch your opponent not play anything next turn. Looks like a pretty nice limited card even without that though. Good blocker for cheap, and has a way to attack without relying on transforming too.

Worth noting that the flip side can help copies of itself attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom