• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
This card is the real deal:

erdwalilluminatorq5u1d.jpg

blocks tokens, makes all your investigate cards absurd. Also has some light spirit synergies and it's just a cheap card generally.

Awesome, awesome draft card.

Ashodin

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";199257760]This card is the real deal:

blocks tokens, makes all your investigate cards absurd. Also has some light spirit synergies and it's just a cheap card generally.

Awesome, awesome draft card.[/QUOTE]

Yep, as soon as I saw it, I was like fuuuck this is some good shit.

Most likely constructed worthy too.

Man, got a sweet madness deck going this time. Looks like all the vampire synergies and stuff actually work out in draft. Indulgent Tormentor + Welcome to the Fold/From Under the Floorboards counter your removal spell and steal your dude wombo combos probably aren't typical of limited, though.

Most likely constructed worthy too.

I would be shocked.

Okay, so Bant Company is all over my store right now. And every time I run into it I go to time. We already run 40 minute rounds as is (so that the store can also fire a draft at 10:30), but the Bant decks can just grind out games until we get to turns. And I'm running into 2 or 3 every week in 4 round FNMs. I tied one, lost to another cause I had to play aggressive after losing a game one and couldn't close in time in game two. I won one later and then another against not-green dragons deck.

I stopped playing Bant after running into 4 reflector mage decks in a row about a month ago and realized how shitty it is to be on the recieving end of it and stopped running it myself during the 4-color good stuff standard. I don't like my opponents walking away from the table tilting or just frustrated.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also am I missing something or is the madness counterspell incredibly narrow? You can't use it meaningfully if your opponent forces you to discard, so its only useful if your opponent casts a spell and you have some sort of instant speed discard activation?

The best way to get particular cards is to order them individually from a site like Channel Fireball or Star City Games. Now, if you don't have anything particular in mind, then I recommend building up your collection just through playing Limited. For example, go to the Shadows over Innistrad prerelease next week.

I saw some used whole 1000 card lot bundles on that star city games website, are those any good?

G.ZZZ

Oh shit I just got the flavor here

en_mLVOZdFxGw.png

Two roads diverge in the woods, and you choose one

That's damn good

There's no reason for this to cost 1G. Had it costed G, while still way worse than traverse the Ulvenwald, it would've been an interesting card on its own, fueling the grave and land recurr strats.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";199257760]This card is the real deal:

Awesome, awesome draft card.[/QUOTE]

also, it's steamflogger boss

modern or standard?

looks like standard

I like the card but nah. I'm not convinced Thing in the Ice is going to ever see a Top 8 and that two-drop is several orders of magnitude more powerful than this thing. The only way this sees day two of a tournament is if someone finds some stupid combo with spirits or clue tokens.

Yeef

Also am I missing something or is the madness counterspell incredibly narrow? You can't use it meaningfully if your opponent forces you to discard, so its only useful if your opponent casts a spell and you have some sort of instant speed discard activation?
Yeah. But there's a lot of those in this set. The other thing it can do is catch the opponent off-guard because you only have a single blue mana up (at least early in the format).

Santiako

And love me some boros, it's just problematic once I played my hand and someone wiped the board. Then the deck just durdles if I didn't find my card advantage cards, another reason Sword of Fire and Ice is so important.

Yeah, that's the biggest problem with Boros (and why I switched to Mardu :p ). You could add some more card draw artifacts like Mask of Memory, Staff of Nin and Mind's Eye. I also see a giant hole with Austere Command's name in it :p

edit: It's quite expensive, but you could always add the Land Tax + Scroll Rack engine to draw.

I saw some used whole 1000 card lot bundles on that star city games website, are those any good?

Well, those bundles are mostly going to be filled with weak cards, and if you want to keep your cards organized, getting a bunch at once like that will make that difficult.

Plus, if you're going to get a bunch of cards that aren't Standard legal, make sure you actually have people to play with first. You'll far more easily find Standard decks to play against at game stores, and those bundles will mostly be older cards.

Four matches in and I'm already in love with this W/B token control thing I brewed up. Secure the Wastes into Ormendahl is a real thing. Declaration in Stone is also very strong but I think we all knew that would be the case. Probably making it a 4x when I playtest again after work tomorrow. I've had opponents spend turn 3 or 4 cashing in their Clues instead of actually playing threats and the tempo loss is just huge. It gets weaker when your opponent has mana up on your turn but that's rarely the case early on.

Ashodin

Four matches in and I'm already in love with this W/B token control thing I brewed up. Secure the Wastes into Ormendahl is a real thing. Declaration in Stone is also very strong but I think we all knew that would be the case. Probably making it a 4x when I playtest again after work tomorrow. I've had opponents spend turn 3 or 4 cashing in their Clues instead of actually playing threats and the tempo loss is just huge. It gets weaker when your opponent has mana up on your turn but that's rarely the case early on.

Are you from the future?

kirblar

Hedron Crawler showing everyone why mana rocks are taken out of cube.

I feel like a dummy for not buying Risen Executioner months ago, but I forgot the card even existed.

Zombies clearly aren't going to be a thing (yet) though, so hold off on buys.

Crocodile

Hedron Crawler showing everyone why mana rocks are taken out of cube.

I feel like a dummy for not buying Risen Executioner months ago, but I forgot the card even existed.

Zombies clearly aren't going to be a thing (yet) though, so hold off on buys.

Cube =/= Standard. If Green or Aggro or whatever is doing poorly in your Cube, its not because of mana rocks. It's because you designed Green poorly/don't have appropriate aggro support.

kirblar

Cube =/= Standard. If Green or Aggro or whatever is doing poorly in your Cube, its not because of mana rocks. It's because you designed Green poorly/don't have appropriate aggro support.
The principle is the same- you're giving everyone the ability to play "green" without actually having to play green.

I might play the full set of Ruins of Oran-Rief. I don't have any 1-drops in the mainboard and ramping out a 2-counter Hangarback on turn 3 is pretty good.

The principle is the same- you're giving everyone the ability to play "green" without actually having to play green.

Yup, Hedron Crawler is not a reasonable card. Frankly my mono black Eldrazi deck is outperforming my Vampire deck by a pretty big margin. Vampires are certainly more fun to play, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom