• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This + Tutelage looks like the base of an actual mill deck. That's a minimum of milling five cards each time you sac a clue.

en_rgqQoBWHcp.png

I also love the art for whatever this guy is:

en_9ZaSBX5Cse.png

There's probably nothing that will get people to stop plucking the mill chicken is there

EDIT: Ohhh the flavor on this is awesome. And it could also be kind of a blowout too:

en_gmYzzayWVu.png

For the longest time I was just staring at this going, Why the hell would I ever want to play this card?

But then it sort of clicked with me that you play it when your opponent is blocking your creatures.

I think I need to have a nap.

This card is pretty sweet.

en_1T9lEDiYNi.png

en_7AF7mkhc0A.png

Force one of your opponents creatures to suicide attack, you get a 3/4 after it dies. Not bad for one mana. Would be hilarious anti-Jace tech if Jace couldn't just tap before combat each turn.

G/R looks very strong, but that just may be because the archetype is so obvious.

There's probably nothing that will get people to stop plucking the mill chicken is there

giphy.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
pG1Yj0e.png

So this card makes werewolves standard playable, right?

There aren't really any werewolves that specifically need you to transform them to be good though. The only one of them that seems really powerful is Silverfur Partisan (not counting Arlinn) and its super soft to Chandra or Languish.

I don't want to speculate too much on the new standard but BW Eldrazi still seems extremely good to me.

Help! Is this card really good? Kind of good? Not as good as it looks? My evaluation skills are falling short here.

Incurring a real penalty for playing instants or madness cards during your turn is nice, but it also means the odds of the card staying flipped are lower. Definitely seems strong in limited and may even be sideboard material in Constructed if G/R Wolves is viable.

MjFrancis

Not necessarily a great card by any means, but it's amusing that I've found the perfect card for my budget casual deck entitled "The Rats in the Walls":

rancidrats.jpg

I regularly listen to Wayne June's audiobook narration of H.P. Lovecraft's The Rats in the Walls, of which this flavor text is an obvious homage to - that story was also used as the basis for the plot of the Darkest Dungeon video game.

MjFrancis

*looks for efficient burn*

rip

almsofthevein.jpg
fierytemper.jpg

The best burn has to be set up in a Madness deck. It's all tapping creatures sideways and combat step shenanigans from here on out, folks. I'm not knocking it just yet, but their philosophy on burn is definitely clearer than ever now.

Help! Is this card really good? Kind of good? Not as good as it looks? My evaluation skills are falling short here.

en_hj1IJcH3T9.png
en_9axA8qCJIK.png

I need this card so badly.

Question: Does anyone think that this might be able to find a home in Green White Hatebears? I mean, it's a Mono coloured Card Draw Voice, which could be super nice.

kirblar

I'm so happy to not have a gold 10-cycle of uncommons here. Love off-color activations.

Interestingly, all the enemy ones are enchantments except Geistblast.

Firemind

The best burn has to be set up in a Madness deck. It's all tapping creatures sideways and combat step shenanigans from here on out, folks. I'm not knocking it just yet, but their philosophy on burn is definitely clearer than ever now.
They still don't solve Jace. Hope you like seeing Jaces on turn two for almost a year!

I really, really like Sigarda, Heron's Grace. I bought a full set, and am thinking about a G/W Human deck once SOI comes in.

I'm kind of having a hard time putting together the pieces for an effective G/W human deck. There's a lot of equipment in SOI that synergizes with human creatures...I'll have to keep experimenting.

This set looks amazing! Dear lord, this just makes BFZ look like complete shit in comparison. Fuck it, I'm going to buy a box. Really as long as delirium plays well this set may be the best one I've ever played with.

It looks like Vampires and Wolves got the most tribal support. I was disappointed with the Spirits and Vampires support, Humans merely look okay.

MjFrancis

They still don't solve Jace. Hope you like seeing Jaces on turn two for almost a year!
I miss Shock and Wild Slash, let alone Lightning Strike or Searing Spear. I'm glad Dead Weight can take care of Jace but I think the best damage based removal at 2 CMC in this set is Avacyn's Judgement, right?

Aside from burn getting hosed, I'm happy with what I see. I expect to play Limited much more often than Constructed so I'm not too worried about how Standard will shake out.

Angry Grimace

Zombie tribal and Spirit Tribal don't really seem to come together even in limited and I'm not sure any of the tribes are good enough for constructed vs. something like Eldrazi where all of the cards are just individually really powerful.

Angry Grimace

Maro gettin' all upset over people making fun of the story is funny, especially considering how innocuous the comment that he chose to point out why he's so mad was.

rade-blunner asked: Could Tamiyo potentially join the Jacetice League?

Please don’t be disrespectful of the story. You might not care but others do.

djohn230 asked: Your response to the question about Tamiyo joining the Gatewatch seemed kind of harsh. I don't really understand why using the term "Jacetice league" is disrespectful.

Let me give a little context because I agree that it came across harsher than I intended. I get a lot of questions. I read as many as I can and I try to answer as many as I can. You all don’t see what I don’t answer, only what I do.

Yesterday, I got a bunch of mean spirited questions about the story all clumped together. I work closely with the creative team and I know how hard they work to create the story.

So I took the most benign question, because I didn’t want to publish the meaner ones, and posted my single response to the clump of questions. As you guys only saw the most benign question, I agree that my response felt a bit disconnected.

Here’s my issue. I have no problem with criticism. I have no problem with people not liking something. All I ask on my blog (note not the Internet, just on my blog) is for people to be polite (I would like people to be polite across the Internet, but that is beyond my control). If you honestly dislike something, including any aspect of the story, I don’t mind you saying so, but please do it in a way that isn’t demeaning of the work.

For example, if you are referring to the Gatewatch, please call them the Gatewatch. If you’re referring to a character or mechanic or place, please use the actual name.

There is a way to address serious feedback that does not require people to trash the things they are asking about. The people that make Magic work really hard to create something awesome for you all to enjoy, so I’m simply asking (once again here on my blog) for you to do so with some civility.

We’re not perfect. We’ll make mistakes or choices you disagree with. I want to hear those disagreements. I want to hear how you believe we can improve and do better but I do not want you needlessly insulting my coworkers and their work.

Thank you.

"Stop making fun of my friends fan-fic" I mean, c'mon dude you called them the GATEWATCH and had a whole set of them making these lame-ass oaths where they destroyed unfathomable eldritch abominations by burning them really hard.

Maro gettin' all upset over people making fun of the story is funny, especially considering how innocuous the comment that he chose to point out why he's so mad was.

"Stop making fun of my friends fan-fic" I mean, c'mon dude you called them the GATEWATCH and had a whole set of them making these lame-ass oaths where they destroyed unfathomable eldritch abominations by burning them really hard.

I think it's funny how butthurt people got about his response. It was direct and to-the-point, but it wasn't rude or condescending.

Angry Grimace

I think it's funny how butthurt people got about his response. It was direct and to-the-point, but it wasn't rude or condescending.

Getting mad about calling it the "Jacetice League" is pretty damn random.

He could just not answer those questions.

Lol Rosewater throwing a fit is silly. I laughed at Jacetice League.
The current Jacetice League story is crappy btw.

See, that's my point. He was hardly "throwing a fit." He simply expressed his feelings about it in a very direct manner.

I do think the "Gatewatch" was goofy (as most Magic story is) and kind of deserves a little good-natured ribbing. But I understand why the people writing the story might be a tad bit upset.

Crocodile

If Maro and co. were getting legit hate mail or like "fuck you and your shitty story" posts, then I can understand their frustration and annoyance. "Please call them the Gatewatch" reeks of pretentiousness though. Like we aren't talking about high art here. The lore of the game is strong but the actual story and most of its characters aren't good enough to be worthy of such respect that merely assign silly/dumb nicknames to them is worth scorn.

I wasn't aware there was a broader internet reaction to that tumblr post but I would say "don't disrespect the story" seems to be a response that doesn't completely align with what its responding too. If someone calling the Gatewatch the "Jacetise League" rustles Maro's jimmies, he could have just ignored the question and poster.

ultron87

If Maro and co. were getting legit hate mail or like "fuck you and your shitty story" posts, then I can understand their frustration and annoyance. "Please call them the Gatewatch" reeks of pretentiousness though. Like we aren't talking about high art here. The lore of the game is strong but the actual story and most of its characters aren't good enough to be worthy of such respect that merely assign silly/dumb nicknames to them is worth scorn.

Given the open nature of his Tumblr inbox I'm sure posts like that are in there pretty often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom