• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Biggest problem with Zombies is just how many Exile effects are running around.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Eldrazi are going to be hard to beat because they don't really have any tribal synergy between them: it's all independently powerful cards.

There's a ton of powerful cards in zombies and it's really hard to stop once you get it going. Risen Executioner is hilariously bad in the type of strategy that deck is going for though. Like actually worse than Geralf's Masterpiece.

They're leagues better than Werewolves as a constructed tribe and I had more luck with it than I did with Vampires, really. Arlinn is a cool card but she's not very reliable. You often find you want to do something with her that it turns out you can't because you have to flip to get it.

With Hordling Outburst gone, is there anything that puts out token creatures with the same efficiency in the new set?

Cryptolith%2BRite%2B%255BSOI%255D.jpg

I need to work on a new type of ramp.

Aw hell, it makes scions worth 2 mana each.

traveler

Not Wario
Humans seem like the strongest of the new tribes, boring as that is. Zombies would be with a few more key pieces, but you're really riding Colossus and Relentless Dead to victory.

Angry Grimace

Flipping Jace sucks now without fetchlands. He's often just Merfolk Looter with corner case upside.

Flipping Jace sucks now without fetchlands. He's often just Merfolk Looter with corner case upside.

But madness! Also he helps turn on delirium! Except delirium doesn't seem consistent or generally powerful enough to be a big factor in constructed. Having a madness outlet is nice but there are a million of those in this set.

I think his main problem is that blue doesn't seem very strong right now, Jace himself is probably the biggest reason to play blue. You can't splash him into every deck anymore, I'm not sure where he fits. UB zombies? UW tempo control? The format post-rotation is pretty unknown.

Yeah, that's the biggest problem with Boros (and why I switched to Mardu :p ). You could add some more card draw artifacts like Mask of Memory, Staff of Nin and Mind's Eye. I also see a giant hole with Austere Command's name in it :p

edit: It's quite expensive, but you could always add the Land Tax + Scroll Rack engine to draw.

I don't want to add too many equipments to the deck after sword of fire and ice it's gonna be 4 already not counting any tutors, don't wanna make it a voltron list, I might put into the deck. Scroll Rack is in consideration but not the highest priority right now.

Is austere command any good?

Santiako

I don't want to add too many equipments to the deck after sword of fire and ice it's gonna be 4 already not counting any tutors, don't wanna make it a voltron list, I might put into the deck. Scroll Rack is in consideration but not the highest priority right now.

Is austere command any good?

Austere Command is the best wrath variant. It does everything, clear the small creatures while leaving your angels alive while also destroying all artifacts or enchantments, clears the while board, etc.

It's crazy good, you should really try it.

Austere Command is the best wrath variant. It does everything, clear the small creatures while leaving your angels alive while also destroying all artifacts or enchantments, clears the while board, etc.

It's crazy good, you should really try it.

I might, though it's starting to get difficult to get cuts in w/o feeling like losing flavour.

Crocodile

It's not that it's literally impossible to design a cube where there are cheap mana rocks and green aggro is good, it's that absent very specific design goals and execution the biggest effect cheap mana rocks have is to make green shittier.

The types of decks that want mana rocks by and large usually don't want Green cards and vice versa (not to say they can't work in harmony but each subset have unique space to them as well). Green is better at going from 1 > 3 > 5 > etc. whereas the cheapest mana rock you'd find in an unpowered Cube go more from 2 > 4. A Mind Stone is not a replacement for a Llanowar Elf. A Coalition Relic is not a replacement for a Birds of Paradise. Elves don't want to go in decks with lots of board sweepers (Wrath, Wildfire). Elves don't work well with cards that care about artifacts. Artifact mana is susceptible to being disrupted in ways land ramp isn't/can't (there are far few good LD effects than artifact destruction). Mana Rocks don't work well with the 5321535 cards in Green that want you to have a high creature count or care about the type of creatures you have (Green Sun's Zenith, Survival of the Fittest, Fauna Shaman, Natural Order, Gaea's Cradle, any anthem affect, any Equipment, etc.). "Mana rocks make Green suck" is basically an idea propagated by Tom Lapille and then others started parroting it. Do you want to be on the side of a Magic related argument that Tom Lapille is on? I think not! :p

Seriously though, Green being a good color and mana rocks aren't mutually exclusive in a Cube. If there's an issue, there is a design flaw elsewhere. Having an OBSCENE number of mana rocks for a Cube of a particular size can be problematic but having none or playing very, very few shitty ones I think is actively bad for a Standard Cube. Too many different types of decks become worse or nonviable to prop up a color that is likely only suffering because you didn't design it well in your Cube to start with.

kirblar

The specific discussion w/ Mana Rocks and cube is normally the Ravnica Signets. Cards like Relic aren't where the issue is.

G.ZZZ

The types of decks that want mana rocks by and large usually don't want Green cards and vice versa (not to say they can't work in harmony but each subset have unique space to them as well). Green is better at going from 1 > 3 > 5 > etc. whereas the cheapest mana rock you'd find in an unpowered Cube go more from 2 > 4. A Mind Stone is not a replacement for a Llanowar Elf. A Coalition Relic is not a replacement for a Birds of Paradise. Elves don't want to go in decks with lots of board sweepers (Wrath, Wildfire). Elves don't work well with cards that care about artifacts. Artifact mana is susceptible to being disrupted in ways land ramp isn't/can't (there are far few good LD effects than artifact destruction). Mana Rocks don't work well with the 5321535 cards in Green that want you to have a high creature count or care about the type of creatures you have (Green Sun's Zenith, Survival of the Fittest, Fauna Shaman, Natural Order, Gaea's Cradle, any anthem affect, any Equipment, etc.). "Mana rocks make Green suck" is basically an idea propagated by Tom Lapille and then others started parroting it. Do you want to be on the side of a Magic related argument that Tom Lapille is on? I think not! :p

Seriously though, Green being a good color and mana rocks aren't mutually exclusive in a Cube. If there's an issue, there is a design flaw elsewhere. Having an OBSCENE number of mana rocks for a Cube of a particular size can be problematic but having none or playing very, very few shitty ones I think is actively bad for a Standard Cube. Too many different types of decks become worse or nonviable to prop up a color that is likely only suffering because you didn't design it well in your Cube to start with.

Truth.

Diamond variants weren't even playable for the longest part of this game life while mana elves have always been.

Of course as the werewolf deck the first matchup I have is against U/R spellslinger. I couldn't keep my wolves flipped even for more than a single turn.

Anyway, from this large data set of 3 games, it seems Lambholt Pacifist sucks, Scourge wolf may also suck since delirium is hard so far, but on the bright side Duskwatch recruiter surpassed expectations. Neglected Heirloom and Moonlight Hunt are awesome, and Pack Guardian isn't bad. Silverfur Partisan is decent but there aren't many good ways of targeting him with your own spells, so he only triggers on opponents' removal. What the deck is really missing is a well costed bigger beater. I haven't tested Wolf of Devil's Breach yet, but his 5 mana seems like it would be too much. Hopefully the coming G/R Werewolf legend in EDM will fill that slot. As it stands though the deck probably isn't good enough, though I will need to test a bit more to confirm this.

red13th

Signets are format warping IMO especially since you probably add the whole cycle or you unbalance the colours in some manner, there is no way to make them non-warping. If you add them a few Signets as gold cards you have to cut interesting, potentially deck-defining cards.
The Legacy Cube however recently cut basically every mana rock (Mind Stone, Chalice, Chrome Mox, Basalt Monolith, Diamond Mox, Worn Powerstone, Relic, Dynamo and Sphere of the Suns) which I find very wrong. Then again they don't play some cards that are great with elves like Clamp or Swords too.

Image.ashx
+
en_0GMVRrkcy3.png

is legit. A lot of the other mill cards in the set are too slow (Startled Awake is atrocious, Fleeting Memories requires to much support and mana to be worthwhile) but that combo can kill on turn six as long as it stays on the board for a couple turns. Another fun fact? Creation is a horror so Thing in the Ice doesn't bounce it when it flips. I'm running these plus Jace and a large mix of draw and permission. It's definitely more consistent and powerful than the old Tutelage shell.

Image.ashx
+
en_0GMVRrkcy3.png

is legit. A lot of the other mill cards in the set are too slow (Startled Awake is atrocious, Fleeting Memories requires to much support and mana to be worthwhile) but that combo can kill on turn six as long as it stays on the board for a couple turns. Another fun fact? Creation is a horror so Thing in the Ice doesn't bounce it when it flips. I'm running these plus Jace and a large mix of draw and permission. It's definitely more consistent and powerful than the old Tutelage shell.

I've seen that mentioned but it has to live a full turn against decks that probably mainboard removal that's useless against most of tutelage decks.

gives you instant value instead and works as a better alternate win con.

I'm thinking a UR control deck that can gear into tutelage post board or verse vica

I think I've figured out G/W Humans. A deck where the strategy is generating clues and tokens.

Creatures: 22
3 Sigarda, Heron’s Grace
4 Thalia’s Lieutenant
4 Hanwier Militia Captain
4 Tireless Tracker
3 Bygone Bishop
4 Thraben Inspector

Spells: 12
4 Angelic Purge
4 Traverse the Ulvenwald
3 Eerie Interlude
1 Second Harvest

Enchantments: 5
3 Bound by Moonsilver
2 Ulvenwald Mysteries

Lands: 21
[haven't decided]

I really like Eerie Interlude for this deck. Being able to blink any number of your creatures at instant speed seems really good, especially when a lot of them have ETB effects. Maybe it's not as good as I think, but I like this idea. 'Hope I can get some mileage out of it.

I've seen that mentioned but it has to live a full turn against decks that probably mainboard removal that's useless against most of tutelage decks.

gives you instant value instead and works as a better alternate win con.

I'm thinking a UR control deck that can gear into tutelage post board or verse vica

Jace and TitI usually eat a removal spell before Creation hits. I'm still toying around with it and the competition on MTGO right now consists entirely of other janky brews but it feels very powerful.

Jace and TitI usually eat a removal spell before Creation hits. I'm still toying around with it and the competition on MTGO right now consists entirely of other janky brews but it feels very powerful.

another option is UW control considering Ojutai's Command will still be legal and he can immediately go and flashback declaration in stone.

Angry Grimace

I just played a Tutelege guy on MTGO but I don't think my Zombie recursion deck is a good matchup for a mill deck =P

Risen Executioner is going up again. Ebay BINs for playsets are at 24-25, TCGP still has some under 5 bucks.

They're really bad with the SOI zombies. Diregraf Colossus does almost the exact opposite thing that Risen Executioner does, but does it better.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Eye of Ugin is super gone. Super duper gone.

Aaron Forsythe's Tweeter:
I've had lots of inquiries about restricting cards in Modern instead of banning (probably from Tron players that run one Eye). Not our plan.

Yeef

After watching the first 4 rounds of the pre-prerelease, this set feels a lot more about tempo than more recent sets. Efficient removal is slim and there's a ton of combat tricks. I'm sure things will be a bit better in draft.

G.ZZZ

How to fix modern:

unban everything but hypergenesis, skullclamp and bridge from below, allow all sets from masques onward, voilà, an actually good format.

Can't wait to Gush my shocklands.

Angry Grimace

How to fix modern:

unban everything but hypergenesis, skullclamp and bridge from below, allow all sets from masques onward, voilà, an actually good format.

Can't wait to Gush my shocklands.
Bridge from Below isn't banned anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom