• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some slight updates to Mono-Black Eldrazi:

tylerjtwrd7.png

Changes:
  • Swapped the 2nd Sea Gate Wreckage for a Swamp. Really want to make sure I can cast my double black spells on time, and Sea Gate Wreckage comes into play very rarely. The games where it does, it's indispensible, so I'm happy to have the first copy.
  • Diversified my removal in the sideboard due to the unknown format and went down to 1 Wail. I found that the matches where I wanted it I really only wanted one and the slots worked out weird.
  • Swapped From Under the Floorboards with a creature package in the sideboard. It wasn't really doing the Timely Reinforcements impression I was hoping for.

Other thoughts:
  • Decided not to increase the number of Ruins in the deck. Tapped lands are pretty bad, and if you can you just want to play everything on curve, so there's a lot of games where it's not great. That said, there's a ton of upside, especially eldrazi mirrors. Also, Mirrorpool is definitely proving its worth as a 1-of.
  • It's possible that I could play 4 Warping Wail maindeck and 4 Pitiless Horde and just make absolutely sure that I'm playing a chunky 4 drop on turn 3. I don't think that play pattern is worth decreasing the power level and interaction potential of my deck overall, however. It's a thought.

Crocodile

The specific discussion w/ Mana Rocks and cube is normally the Ravnica Signets. Cards like Relic aren't where the issue is.

Ravinca signets are too good. Ramp + multicolor fixing for 2cc is insane.

The context I was speaking towards was the context that red13th speaks of - a WOTC that has decided to go scorched Earth on mana rocks on some misguided principle that they are holding Green back or whatever. I don't disagree that Signets are certainly among the most powerful of "fair" mana rocks. However for all the reasons I listed before, mana rocks and Green can co-exist in unison. That includes Signets as well. Hell you even saw this in the Vintage Cube on MODO where Green remained a very successful color even when you have shit like Moxen running around. However I'm much more sympathetic to those who exclude signets for power or number reasons than cutting stuff like Mind Stone or Coalition Relic. I can get and respect that rationale even if I still think they can work together well with good design.

Hero

The context I was speaking towards was the context that red13th speaks of - a WOTC that has decided to go scorched Earth on mana rocks on some misguided principle that they are holding Green back or whatever. I don't disagree that Signets are certainly among the most powerful of "fair" mana rocks. However for all the reasons I listed before, mana rocks and Green can co-exist in unison. That includes Signets as well. Hell you even saw this in the Vintage Cube on MODO where Green remained a very successful color even when you have shit like Moxen running around. However I'm much more sympathetic to those who exclude signets for power or number reasons than cutting stuff like Mind Stone or Coalition Relic. I can get and respect that rationale even if I still think they can work together well with good design.

Non-signet rocks like Mind or Coalition Relic are fine. Nothing like going for Wildfire.dec!

Here's a B/W Value list I've also been trying out on Cockatrice. Not a fan of planar outburst but I'm not sure if I want Languish either. It's likely though I'll never bring myself to build this in real life due to the absurd cost.

RloyBqI.png

Lucario

Did some early test games w/ R/U madness:

Seems great:
Drownyard Temple. If you can get one in your GY early on and keep up Clash of Wills/Scatter to the Winds, you're very far ahead. Being able to hit Chandra on turn 5 if your opponent doesn't play a threat on 3 or 4 is completely disgusting.

Magmatic Insight. Temple decks will want to run 28 lands minimum; I'm on 29 right now. Early on this tosses a temple into the yard, and later in the game it's flood prevention.

Chandra, Flamecaller. We all know how good she is, but the 0 got a noticeable buff with Avacyn's Judgment and Drownyard Temple.

Seems fine:
Avacyn's Judgment. I thought this card would be completely insane with Jace and Chandra in the format. It's still fine, especially if your opponent is playing something like Vampires, but the fact that it's sorcery speed by default is a huge disappointment. There aren't enough Madness enablers for this to be as broken as I thought it'd be. Jace dies too easily for this to be truly broken.

Welcome to the Fold. This is a lot better than I thought it'd be; mind control is beyond ridiculous at instant speed. Unfortunately, it suffers from the same issue as Avacyn's Judgment; it's bad when you don't have a madness enabler, and Jace is the only good enabler for control decks.

Chandra as a madness enabler. The two Madness spells above are very expensive, and tapping out at sorcery speed to steal/kill a creature is not ideal.

Thing in the Ice. I was 100% sure this was a trap when it was spoiled. Down to like 75% after testing it. With Murderous Cut and Ultimate Price leaving the format, I'm no longer convinced that it'll always get removed in response to the flip trigger.

It's worth noting that you only want it in matchups where a 0/4 is relevant. It's beyond terrible in the aggressive shells reddit is jamming it into. (Like, what? It has no evasion and bounces the rest of your creatures.)

Seems bad:
Tormenting Voice. I wanted copies 5-6 of Magmatic Insight; enabling madness just seemed like gravy. In reality, 2 mana is too much for this effect, and most of the madness spells are bad at sorcery speed. Held them in my hand until turn 4-5 way too often.

Epiphany at the Drownyard. It's an overcosted Steam Augury at X=5, which should've been enough to clue me in. The self-mill is also a concern; in two of my games, I had to hold it in my hand because it'd literally kill me to cast one.

Anybody else think Forgotten Creation is undervalued at less than $1? And why does Erie Interlude cost $1.5 when Ghostway is mostly worse and costs $7?

Epiphany at the Drownyard. It's an overcosted Steam Augury at X=5, which should've been enough to clue me in. The self-mill is also a concern; in two of my games, I had to hold it in my hand because it'd literally kill me to cast one.

I think the self-mill actually works to it's advantage in U/B Zombies. I'm testing it under that assumption at least.

Haines

Banned
Hey guys need some help.

As you know I proxies soi. 2x Commons and rest is 1x

ENvjmI4.jpg

Obviously it won't even be remotely accurate but is there a way you goys could think up if faking 6 packs to practice doing a sealed deck build?

I believe it would be
1 rare
3 uncommon
10 Commons
1 dfc

With a very seldom chance of the rare being mythic and the dfc being anything better then common

So could I just throw random cards together fitting those numbers and practice my deck building? (Identifying good cards, synergies,colors with enough synergies)

Outside of that we just normally throw cards together and play them but I think he was curious to try this and I have some time right now to put the cards together

bigkrev

Obviously it won't even be remotely accurate but is there a way you goys could think up if faking 6 packs to practice doing a sealed deck build?

Use a Sealed Deck generator. There are plenty of choices, I'm using MTGMirror.com right now because it's pretty.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";199387922]Card advantage is generally more important than tempo in limited.[/QUOTE]Translation for normal people: Karoo lands (which Enter the Battlefield Tapped and require you to return a land to your hands, but produce 2 mana when tapped) are better than 2 mana artifacts that tap for mana because because they represent hitting 2 land drops with a single card.

I tried WG Humans but there doesn't seem to be much support for it. I guess Sigarda is okay, but mostly she just dies to stuff.

Haines

Banned
Made 2 faux pre release kits. I got it as accurate as I could but obviously won't even be close to the real thing with randomization and multiples.

Going to be fun tmrw building our decks and playing some games.

0U9xbdc.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";199379496]Some slight updates to Mono-Black Eldrazi:

tylerjtwrd7.png

Changes:
  • Swapped the 2nd Sea Gate Wreckage for a Swamp. Really want to make sure I can cast my double black spells on time, and Sea Gate Wreckage comes into play very rarely. The games where it does, it's indispensible, so I'm happy to have the first copy.
  • Diversified my removal in the sideboard due to the unknown format and went down to 1 Wail. I found that the matches where I wanted it I really only wanted one and the slots worked out weird.
  • Swapped From Under the Floorboards with a creature package in the sideboard. It wasn't really doing the Timely Reinforcements impression I was hoping for.

Other thoughts:
  • Decided not to increase the number of Ruins in the deck. Tapped lands are pretty bad, and if you can you just want to play everything on curve, so there's a lot of games where it's not great. That said, there's a ton of upside, especially eldrazi mirrors. Also, Mirrorpool is definitely proving its worth as a 1-of.
  • It's possible that I could play 4 Warping Wail maindeck and 4 Pitiless Horde and just make absolutely sure that I'm playing a chunky 4 drop on turn 3. I don't think that play pattern is worth decreasing the power level and interaction potential of my deck overall, however. It's a thought.
[/QUOTE]
I like the idea of Mindwrack Demon with Dead Weight around but I still like going BW so you have access to stuff like Anguished Unmaking and Declaration in Stone etc. I think you should play Matter Reshaper though. Opponent's hate attacking into it and the deck can outvalue people in the late game.

I stopped playing Bearer because token strategies are so common and just jammed the Demon and a singleton Sorin to counteract the lifeloss a bit. I'm also playing Spatial Contortion as a concession that double black turn 2 is not very likely.

Thing in the Ice. I was 100% sure this was a trap when it was spoiled. Down to like 75% after testing it. With Murderous Cut and Ultimate Price leaving the format, I'm no longer convinced that it'll always get removed in response to the flip trigger.

Ultimate Price is sticking around, it was in Dragons.

Made 2 faux pre release kits.

Not that anyone here is going to narc on you, but you're posting on a major gaming website about using proxies, actual photocopies (by the photo you've shown), to play Magic. The community just went through a row about what-is-a-proxy-what-is-not-a-proxy and WotC kept it vague enough that what you're doing would seem to rile someone up over there.

If you're going to simulate a wizards event using full proxies of their intellectual property, it might be best to not post about it on NeoGAF. Just tossing a friendly your way.

Haines

Banned
Not that anyone here is going to narc on you, but you're posting on a major gaming website about using proxies, actual photocopies (by the photo you've shown), to play Magic. The community just went through a row about what-is-a-proxy-what-is-not-a-proxy and WotC kept it vague enough that what you're doing would seem to rile someone up over there.

If you're going to simulate a wizards event using full proxies of their intellectual property, it might be best to not post about it on NeoGAF. Just tossing a friendly your way.

Proxies are completely fine as long as you aren't saying that they are real. They won't be leaving my kitchen table.

And my lgs lets me play with proxies in store as well.

And that big kerfuflle was silly and someone saying something they shouldn't have.

kirblar

Playtest cards are fine- SCG has them in its VS videos. (Sharpie edition) The kerfluffle forced WotC to clarify between playtest proxies and "proxies" on Ebay.

Santiako

What? Nobody cares.

Haines

Banned
I wonder how often the rarity of dfc cards are above common.

Because I believe red green are the only common dfc (werewolves)

kirblar

I wonder how often the rarity of dfc cards are above common.

Because I believe red green are the only common dfc (werewolves)
Common/Uncommon is something we'll have to math out using a print sheet. R/G are def the only commons in order to support the tribes.

He's playing kitchentable magic with it, not hosting an unsanctioned prerelease for profit. He's also been posting about the process for weeks and no one was bothered by it.

Haines

Banned
I care. And I've already notified Trick Jarrett on Twitter, and he's crying his eyes out right now.

image.php

I watched most of that lrr pre-pre release.

Good stuff! The production was awesome. I loved how they could scan each card some how and show it on screen. Marshall and Kenji def made it for me. Those guys awesome limited players.

Angry Grimace

People keep leaving in Ultimate Price just to hit Mindwrack Demon in a mostly-Eldrazi deck. I don't get it.

I like the idea of Mindwrack Demon with Dead Weight around but I still like going BW so you have access to stuff like Anguished Unmaking and Declaration in Stone etc. I think you should play Matter Reshaper though. Opponent's hate attacking into it and the deck can outvalue people in the late game.

I stopped playing Bearer because token strategies are so common and just jammed the Demon and a singleton Sorin to counteract the lifeloss a bit. I'm also playing Spatial Contortion as a concession that double black turn 2 is not very likely.

I don't like Matter Reshaper all that much. Thought Knot is already a good enough blocker and Reshaper gets caught up in my own/opponents flaying tendrils. I already side out the crawlers when I want the tendrils. Plus, Matter Reshaper isn't a very good attacker. Not to mention it can't even really block a lot of the white weenies like Knight of the White Orchid.

As for black/white, I'm not a huge fan of having the extra taplands in this format, and Grasp on two is huge. I've definitely considered it, but I ultimately decided Anguished Unmaking wasn't enough of a draw. I may eventually change my mind again, depending on how good the white sideboard cards are.

People keep leaving in Ultimate Price just to hit Mindwrack Demon in a mostly-Eldrazi deck. I don't get it.

Yeah, I deliberately built the deck to dodge a huge portion of the available removal. It's a big reason why I don't like Matter Reshaper.

Some trivia from Blogatog:

Enemy vanillas, Weatherlight in some language, Kamigawa orochi names, Fa'adiyah Seer.
sirblackaxe asked: Here's some interesting trivia: Golgari Longlegs is the only enemy colored vanilla creature that has ever been printed.

That is interesting.

==

sylvhem asked: The first times the name Weatherlight appeared in flavor text in Mirage, it was translated as "Brise légère" (Light breeze). When the ship became the main focus of the story in the Weatherlight expansion, the translators found this name was too joyful for the dark mood of the plotline and chose to rename it "Aquilon" (Boreal wind). They justified the change by adding a special flavor text to the french version of Jabari's Banner in which Gerrard explain he made the change when he became captain.

Good job. Even though I was very involved in the Weatherlight Saga, I have never heard that story.

==

singerofw asked: Reverse trivia that I tried sending on my birthday: the Japanese orochi names from the Kamigawa block consist of two parts, a kana part and a kanji part. Kana are meaningless Japanese syllables, while kanji are meaningful characters. Naturally, it can only be seen on Japanese cards, which is why it surprised me so much that the creative team went for this subtle flavor wrinkle.

Another fact of which I was unaware.

==

chorocojo-b asked: Fa'adiyah Seer from Planar Chaos is a really obscure reference. It itself is a colorshifted version of Sindbad and so, the Fa'adiyah Seer is also from Rabiah—Fa'adiyah is a forest region of Rabiah and comes from the old Arabian Nights comics about Taysir.

So much I do not know.

Ashodin

that is some neat obscure trivia

and also how cool is the game that there's trivia even people heavily involved with sets don't know?

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";199403166]I don't like Matter Reshaper all that much. Thought Knot is already a good enough blocker and Reshaper gets caught up in my own/opponents flaying tendrils. I already side out the crawlers when I want the tendrils. Plus, Matter Reshaper isn't a very good attacker. Not to mention it can't even really block a lot of the white weenies like Knight of the White Orchid.

As for black/white, I'm not a huge fan of having the extra taplands in this format, and Grasp on two is huge. I've definitely considered it, but I ultimately decided Anguished Unmaking wasn't enough of a draw. I may eventually change my mind again, depending on how good the white sideboard cards are.

Yeah, I deliberately built the deck to dodge a huge portion of the available removal. It's a big reason why I don't like Matter Reshaper.[/QUOTE]

Hangarback Walker is an overrated card in this format with the number of exile effects running around - all of the good removal is exile. Matter Reshaper replaces itself and takes opposing guys out and is a great combo with Dead Weight/Silkwrap.

Is it worth picking up any of the lands from BFZ/Oath ?

Are any played in modern?

Most of the enemy critterlands in BFZ/OGW are cheap enough that I'd get sets of them just in case; unlike the other recent dual cycles they'll always be at least a consideration for future deckbuilding.

Angry Grimace

Vampires does not seem particularly good. Aggro in general just seems bad.

ironmang

Vampires does not seem particularly good. Aggro in general just seems bad.

This is why I'm leaning towards playing Ramp for the scg open in baltimore and the invi the following week. Losing Ugin isn't even that big of a deal since every deck got a lot slower. Decks not playing white will have a heck of a time dealing with the 7+ drop eldrazis.

Bandini

So, from what little I played this weekend, I can say that BR Vampire Madness is pretty nasty in limited. Ravenous Bloodseeker in particular did a ton of work, a lot of the Madness cards can be used as combat tricks. In one game on turn 5 I made it a 11/1 first strike after no blocks

Santiako

So, from what little I played this weekend, I can say that BR Vampire Madness is pretty nasty in limited. Ravenous Bloodseeker in particular did a ton of work, a lot of the Madness cards can be used as combat tricks. In one game on turn 5 I made it a 11/1 first strike after no blocks

It looked crazy good in the LRR pre-prerelease stream.

Haines

Banned
Why do you guys are hink everybody played red at that LRR stream?

Do you think it was just easier to identify haste and madness cards power compared to the value of clues and delirium and such in a limited atmosphere. Or does red just pair up with every color easier in this format?

Angry Grimace

I think the thing that's interesting is how mediocre Jace, Vryn's Prodigy is in a format where he's actually just Merfolk Looter most of time because he can't flip very easily without fetches everywhere and the only Madness spell worth casting in a Jace deck is Fiery Temper.

The end result is that your Jace, Vryn's Prodigy dies to a lot of shit, whereas Jace, Telepath Unbound didn't - you usually had a 1 turn window to hit him with Fiery Impulse or something because your opponent would load the yard up so quickly. It seems like now, Jace is just way less oppressive because while you don't want your opponent looting every turn, but you typically have a turn or two to find a removal spell and even when they flip him, they're usually not casting nearly as high quality spells (e.g. Crackling Doom).

Why do you guys are hink everybody played red at that LRR stream?

Do you think it was just easier to identify haste and madness cards power compared to the value of clues and delirium and such in a limited atmosphere. Or does red just pair up with every color easier in this format?

It looked like a statistically aberrant number of red rares got opened (at least from what little I saw).

Hangarback Walker is an overrated card in this format with the number of exile effects running around - all of the good removal is exile. Matter Reshaper replaces itself and takes opposing guys out and is a great combo with Dead Weight/Silkwrap.
Hangarback comes down earlier in a deck full of big mana plays, and is a better combo with ruins of oran reif. Matter reshaper is just as bad against exile without the upside of sometimes winning the lategame by itself. Furthermore, Hangarback is artifact 5-8 for the purposes of not killing myself with mindwrack demon. Which is especially important when I side out hedron crawlers for sweepers.

Matter reshaper is a decent value play if a little generic, but if I was going to play it it certainly wouldn't be over hangarback.

Joe Molotov

Prerelease Primer

Making Magic's Card by Card part 1 - The only really interesting thing is that Avacynian Missionaries started out as a Ghostbusters card, with it exiling a creature using the equipment (proton pack and trap) you give it.

Inside the deck box is also a puzzle for you to work out....But it'd be no fun to spoil that for you now, would it? You'll need to go to the Prerelease and work with your fellow sleuths in the store to figure it out for yourself!

I think I may have solved it.

Is it Emrakul?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom