• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope Emrakul doesn't get trapped in the moon. That would make the Eldrazi seem even less powerful bc they keep getting trapped.

Tbh, I can't see a
non-asspull
way out of this for Innistrad.
So that's almost certainly exactly what will happen.

----

Isn't Emrakul a she?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
TBH I don't think Rosewater's comment, even if it was meant to be Avacyn, is necessarily applicable.

At least, going off of the writing article about her corruption - insofar as she's not 'improving the world', she's just cleansing everything except angels due to their propensity for being 'bad'. Without Emrakul's continued influence, this feels like an ass-pull to 'reset' the plane due to things ending too happily last time the block visit ended.

In an abstract sense it works, perhaps, I guess, but if feels a bit...flat. Ditto on the stopping Emrakul sense, unless the Gatewatch migrates over.

Probably thinking too much of the story, lol - Almost feel that Nahiri's plan is to lock Emrakul in the Moon, so that Innistrad stays fucked.

Haines

Banned
As far as a limited environment goes,

They did a really good job making this set very flexible and open to many archetypes. The supplemental set should mesh in a lot better instead of feeling tacked on like oath.

Super excited for prerelease weekend. Probably going to spend all night building decks to try and get all the synergies and cards in my head.

My biggest hurdle is trying to identify when these enchantments are playable or not.

Another would be not feeling into a trap where you lose a lot of power in your deck trying to chase something like avacynian missionary's

Santiako

Yeah, Newlamog is insane and the only actually playable Eldrazi Titan (by its cost, obviously Emrakul is better if you can cheat him in).

OnPoint

I like Kozilek 2.0 quite a lot, but it seems he has not found a foothold in any deck yet. I feel like when a deck does slot him in properly though, watch out. Twolamog is actually pretty darn good and I'm glad he's seeing a bunch of play.

Emrakul 2.0 needs to flex. She's supposed to be the biggest and baddest of the three, and now that she's the only one left, they should put a lot of power into her. I don't expect her to be like 7 mana or something -- it's going to be 10+ to cast, but what she does on the battlefield needs to be insane.

Isn't Emrakul a she?

Emrakul is a genderless monster. Emeria is a female angel. Technically Emrakul shouldn't be referred to as a she but is represented as a she by believers. It's a semantic argument, really, call her what you want.

Also: 13/13 low mana cost forbidden mechanic emrakul here we come.
Other pie in the sky hope: colorless blood moon.

Firemind

I like Kozilek 2.0 quite a lot, but it seems he has not found a foothold in any deck yet. I feel like when a deck does slot him in properly though, watch out. Twolamog is actually pretty darn good and I'm glad he's seeing a bunch of play.

Emrakul 2.0 needs to flex. She's supposed to be the biggest and baddest of the three, and now that she's the only one left, they should put a lot of power into her. I don't expect her to be like 7 mana or something -- it's going to be 10+ to cast, but what she does on the battlefield needs to be insane.
The thing is, how can you beat a 15/15 flying, protection from spells, annihilator 6, can't be countered, take an extra turn, does not go to the graveyard (does not permanently die)?
fifteen flying squirrels

Adaren

Emrakul 2.0 is guaranteed to combo with Nahiri, so its power is probably going to be concentrated in an ETB / attack trigger instead of a cast trigger.

The thing is, how can you beat a 15/15 flying, protection from spells, annihilator 6, can't be countered, take an extra turn, does not go to the graveyard (does not permanently die)?
fifteen flying squirrels
Based on the corruption theme of Emrakul in SOI, how about gain control of all creatures, they are eldrazi in addition to their other types. Gain control of the first spell each opponent casts each turn, you may choose new targets. 13/13 Flying, uncounterable, etc.

Santiako

Emrakul the Thirteen

13 Mana, 13/13 Flying. Protection from colored spells and creatures. When you cast it exile all other creatures. All other creatures are 1/3 with no abilites.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Could be wrong, but I don't see Emra 2.0 being as 'busted' as old Emra. At least in terms of Annihilator, pro-colored spells, take another turn, etc..

Gain control of creatures/exile all other creatures, and counter 1st spell of an opponent every turn (maybe), I could see, though.

Related question: Does anyone think we'll see her brood transitioning over/the population mutating into her brood in Eldritch Moon?

OnPoint

I am hoping Emrakul is less busted in terms of overall power, but is a more playable sort of powerful. I don't expect 2.0 to be better than the original from a strictly power level standpoint, but I would like to see a card that makes huge waves.

Emrakul 2.0 is guaranteed to combo with Nahiri, so its power is probably going to be concentrated in an ETB / attack trigger instead of a cast trigger.

This is 100% true. They need it to work really well with Nahiri's ult.

Firemind

I am hoping Emrakul is less busted in terms of overall power, but is a more playable sort of powerful. I don't expect 2.0 to be better than the original from a strictly power level standpoint, but I would like to see a card that makes huge waves.
I also don't think they will hit a homerun with the flavour. Ulamog has shitty art and just Menace on Kozilek is dumb.

OnPoint

All I'm hoping for is that the Eldrazi aren't the big bads of Magic moving forward. They're so incredibly dull this time out.

My best guess? They put Emrakul on ice in Eldrich Moon by locking her in the moon.

Probably years go by.

Later on, when they need it, Bolas breaks the glass and uses Emrakul for some kind of scheme.

Fingers crossed here.

Haines

Banned
All I'm hoping for is that the Eldrazi aren't the big bads of Magic moving forward. They're so incredibly dull this time out.

I don't even want to see more eldrazi for like 2 years. I like the rampy game play but the colorless stuff doesn't interest me that much.

I hope Eldritch stays on theme of soi.

Related question: Does anyone think we'll see her brood transitioning over/the population mutating into her brood in Eldritch Moon?

I think it's likely we'll see a notable set of creatures in EDM that transform into various types of horrors and squicky nasty things, but not the Eldrazi creature type or colorless stuff.

They already killed most of them, they literally don't have enough of them to do that.

Mothership April Fools is pretty lame this year, just having a joke version of the Daily Update where all the links are to silly pictures and videos. As a reminder, last year was this:
The Mothership April Fools' Day articles were mostly pretty funny.
Drive to Work box set, with sample commentary
where MaRo points out the part where he runs over a pedestrian and hides the body.
Limited Information with card interviews and references to writing for Roseanne
The story of a Maro meeting

Another Latest Developments about madness
LSV goes over some tribal decks

EDIT: Thinkgeek April Fools - Magic: Travel Edition

Firemind

Fucking hell I must have opened every guild leader/champion by now except Niv-Mizzet.

Agrus Kos
Razia
Circu
Szadek
Sisters of Stone Death
Ulasht
Tibor and Lumia
Ghost Council
Lyzolda
Project Kraj
That useless forestwalking tree

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why do you say that? Wasn't Ulamog 2.0 like a giant improvement over the original and playable in multiple formats?

Kozilek 2 and Ulamog 2 are both way better than the first ones

jph139

From what I can tell, none of the Sealed Simulators for SOI really work - they put DFCs into the usual rarity slots. I realized that once I got like nine of the common werewolves in a single pool, when at most you'd have six. I doubt they take into account the "rare/mythic DFC replace a random common" bit either.

If someone found an accurate one I'd love to see it, though!

Haines

Banned
From what I can tell, none of the Sealed Simulators for SOI really work - they put DFCs into the usual rarity slots. I realized that once I got like nine of the common werewolves in a single pool, when at most you'd have six. I doubt they take into account the "rare/mythic DFC replace a random common" bit either.

If someone found an accurate one I'd love to see it, though!

Yeah I noticed they weren't right before but was hoping they would have fixed it by now.

I suppose I could ask on the lrcast subreddit

tch

Actually they're both worse in a semi-powered cube.

I completely disagree. I like my fatties to be reanimatable as well as hard-castable, thus playable in more decks, and ula and kozi 2.0 fit the bill perfectly for my cube. Though I don't run sneak/show/etc, which I assume you do?

Firemind

I completely disagree. I like my fatties to be reanimatable as well as hard-castable, thus playable in more decks, and ula and kozi 2.0 fit the bill perfectly for my cube. Though I don't run sneak/show/etc, which I assume you do?
You do have a point. I just love forcing Sneak Attack/Through the Breach sometimes. Annihilator 4 is pretty bad though ugh.

I always bring something goofy to the last FNM of a standard. Do I bring Oops, All Rhinos or do I bring Whisperwood Elemental craziness? Not expecting to win. Mostly to have fun.

Ladies and gentlemen, Legendary Cube. 3-0, and super sweet.

EdlSurg.jpg

Yeef

Made a playlist of about 2 hours worth of Castlevania music (mostly SotN and Lamment of Innocance) for tonight's prerelease. Should be fun~

Sealtest

Okay pre-release in a few hours and I have a question about flip/transform werewolf cards.

I see the flip cards say Human & werewolf on the human side of the card, Does that mean it's both types on the human side and only werewolf type when it flips?

Depending on how this is answered is how i'll try and make a deck tonight at prerelease.

Haines

Banned
Yup.

Why are you thinking green white or something for human synergy?

I hope everyone gets a good pool to play with.

I'm going to deck build and test delirium decks tonight because I still haven't wrapped my head around it in limited.

I'm thinking green and white interest me most but black also looks good in delirium.

Okay pre-release in a few hours and I have a question about flip/transform werewolf cards.

I see the flip cards say Human & werewolf on the human side of the card, Does that mean it's both types on the human side and only werewolf type when it flips?

Depending on how this is answered is how i'll try and make a deck tonight at prerelease.

en_a9oIcJR44o.png

This is a Human and a Werewolf. Effects that count or help Werewolves will help this side, along with effects that help Humans.

en_la3usHoN3L.png

This is only a Werewolf. Effects that help Humans will not help this side.

Sealtest

Yup.

Why are you thinking green white or something for human synergy?

I'm hoping to make a G/W but i'm just getting told by other people the human side of the card only counts as a human even though it also says werewolf so i'd love to know before I make an embarrasing judge call.

Edit : Thanks guys!

Haines

Banned
Just don't force it and end up with a weak deck if you have better deck in other colors.

Sealed can be rough if you force something that isn't in your pool

Wichu

I always bring something goofy to the last FNM of a standard. Do I bring Oops, All Rhinos or do I bring Whisperwood Elemental craziness? Not expecting to win. Mostly to have fun.
Probably too late, but play Whisperwoods! As long as you also play Masteries for some serious manifest shenanigans.

I played 4C Dragons with Soulfires and Mantis Riders curving into Thunderbreaks, then Kolaghan, Ojutai, and Silumgar. Was super sweet even though I had way more mana flood/screw than usual. Got to do Pia and Kiran -> Thunderbreak + Dragonmaster Outcast -> make a Dragon + Dragonlord Kolaghan and hit for exactly 20 in one attack. Beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom