• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

I'm laughing at the Silvestri article because at the end he suggests Mardu

Two colors are about all you gonna get in this format after rotation breh

Depends on the deck. In builds centered around Ormendahl, getting him bounced or exiled is pretty damn hard to come back from. However he's a 2x in my BW token/control deck and turning him sideways even once usually seals the game, an 18 point life swing is no joke.

In my deck, he usually comes out and Odric makes the whole team Haste/Indestructible/Lifelink/Flying

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Despite having said that. I think Abbey is the real deal. There's virtually no cost to put it in a deck. If they did bounce it, then what? You have to replay a land?

You lose 5 guys and I don't mean a hamburger

I've always thought silvestri was a clueless hack, so you might want to take that into consideration when you listen to me talk about him. Dude just says random shit fucking constantly and gets a bunch of reddit dudes to take it completely seriously. Like, Westvale Abbey is an interesting, cool card, but claiming its the best card you can either play a Westvale deck or a deck that can answer Westvale is just vague as fuck.

traveler

Not Wario
Not to pile on....

From this:

Silvestri said:
Silimgar steals pws for great value and ojutai isn't even that great when you hit?

..uhh, what? I mean, I dunno about everyone else, but I always felt like hitting with Ojutai felt pretty darn good.

traveler

Not Wario
Bant coco is still testing pretty well for me. I literally just took the old lists and replaced the mana with weaker lands and it still beats up on most of these brews I see 50 - 60% of the time. Coco is definitely aging better than Jace.

Ashodin

Bant coco is still testing pretty well for me. I literally just took the old lists and replaced the mana with weaker lands and it still beats up on most of these brews I see 50 - 60% of the time. Coco is definitely aging better than Jace.

You on Cockatrice? I'd like to test

Ashodin

Yup. Busy tonight, but maybe tomorrow? Depends on how work goes.

Sure thing. Same bat time?

On tweaking my deck note - I think Hanweir Militia Captain can be great, but I think 3x in the deck is a little too many two drops, and I need to curve out well. So I took one out to bump up Iroas' Champion. Being one of the only cards that give double strike, I wanted to have it out.

I may want to run that instant that gives +1/+1 and double strike, but it's three mana.

MjFrancis

Eye of Ugin and possibly Simian Spirit Guide both banned Monday. I predict both though admit the former will likely be the only ban. No unbans.

The one good thing Eldrazi Winter and it's impending doom does for me is that I've been able to pick up Reality Smashers and Though-Knot Seers for the next Standard at pretty decent prices. Going to go Bc or B/Wc Midrange, seems decent enough.

I'm of the mindset that you ban Temple, not Eye. Eye is a problem, but it's legendary and doesn't tap for any mana.

Good to see SSG get the boot though, card is used solely to make unfair strategies go off faster.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm not midnighting, but I am taking a train an hour and a half into another city, in a country where I can't speak the language, to prerelease the return of the best set in Magic's history. Please, SoI. Please don't suck.

ultron87

Is anyone midnight prereleasing SOI tomorrow? I feel like im too old for that shit

I'm midnighting because I want to do two Prereleases and it is honestly easier to have X hours after midnight free than getting two chunks free during the afternoon. Also 4 AM sleepy Magic is fun.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
IDK where I'm going with this other than Ormendahl is hilarious.

Deck: UW Stuff
w.gif
u.gif

//Lands
2 Evolving Wilds
4 Island
7 Plains
4 Port Town
4 Prairie Stream
3 Westvale Abbey

//Spells
3 Declaration in Stone
1 Eerie Interlude
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
4 Secure the Wastes
1 Silkwrap

//Creatures
2 Archangel Avacyn
4 Consul's Lieutenant
3 Dragonlord Ojutai
2 Hidden Dragonslayer
4 Knight of the White Orchid
4 Reflector Mage
4 Thalia's Lieutenant

//Sideboard
2 Jace, Unraveler of Secrets
3 Always Watching
2 Negate
3 Dispel
1 Declaration in Stone
1 Descend Upon the Sinful
1 Silkwrap
2 Stasis Snare

Display deck statistics

I'm midnighting because I want to do two Prereleases and it is honestly easier to have X hours after midnight free than getting two chunks free during the afternoon. Also 4 AM sleepy Magic is fun.

Yeah i want to do 2. I'm already signed up for 10:30am on saturday. That would give me 5 hours of sleep if i did midnight :\

Angry Grimace

Preorder prices for the DFCs in Shadows are completely ridiculous.

Westvale Abbey is preordering for 20 dollars. Twenty US dollars. And one guy selling for 10 bucks on TCG player lol

Son1x

I'm of the mindset that you ban Temple, not Eye. Eye is a problem, but it's legendary and doesn't tap for any mana.

Good to see SSG get the boot though, card is used solely to make unfair strategies go off faster.

I'll take Eye ban over the Temple just to weaken Tron.

Ooccoo

BR Vampires I'm thinking on building for the new Standard. Still missing a few cards though

4 Falkenrath Gorger
4 Asylum Visitor
4 Heir of Falkenrath
4 Fiery Temper
4 Incorrigible Youth
1 Kalitas
2 Drana, Liberator of Malakir
2 Olivia, Mobilized for War
2 Grasp of Darkness
2 Dead Weight

Haines

Banned
I'll do a prerelease on Saturday and Sunday.

I refuse to do a midnight release.

330 in the LR review and they are pretty much nailing everything as far as I can tell from playing with the cards. A couple cards they miss something once in a while but that's to be expected.

Angry Grimace

I'll do a prerelease on Saturday and Sunday.

I refuse to do a midnight release.

330 in the LR review and they are pretty much nailing everything as far as I can tell from playing with the cards. A couple cards they miss something once in a while but that's to be expected.

I do midnights and then leave. I just want those sweet, sweet packs.

WanderingWind

?????

What on earth does a price today of something OOP for years have to do with the popularity/price of a set while it's in print?

I don't see how this is confusing, tbh. If you could go back in time and snag Snapcasters for the then ridiculous $20 dollar preorder, would you? Or Lilis? Or Caverns? I'm not even arguing with you man, just saying hopefully SoI really is Innistrad all over again. That set was nuts for eternal playables.

ultron87

One thing from LSV's Red review that is probably useful to know/be reminded of, regarding the 1/1 devils that ping when they die.

I do have to mention an interaction that is likely to come up with all these Devils—make sure your multi-blocking actually works. Imagine that your opponent attacks with a 6/6 and you block with 3 Devils, planning on pinging it 3 times to finish it off. Not so fast—your opponent can choose to only kill 2 of the Devils, leaving them with a 6/6 that has 3 damage on it, and you able to deal only 2 extra damage.

That seems like a thing that could catch a lot of people. I definitely hadn't thought of it. That's the kind of thing I'd feel bad at "getting" someone with at the Prerelease, so I might not do it, unless I know the player is quite experienced. Later drafts, sure.

Ashodin

Westvale Abbey is preordering for 20 dollars. Twenty US dollars. And one guy selling for 10 bucks on TCG player lol

fucking insane lol

You will NEVER GET THERE if Languish dominates the format.

uAdLUtj.jpg

:D It's back from WOTC!!!!

I also got my Erebos's Titan in the mail. Time to brew Erebos deck!

Also pre-ordered three Thalia's Lieutenant. I figure I'm gonna open at least one from now until release.

WanderingWind

One thing from LSV's Red review that is probably useful to know/be reminded of, regarding the 1/1 devils that ping when they die.

That seems like a thing that could catch a lot of people. I definitely hadn't thought of it. That's the kind of thing I'd feel bad at "getting" someone with at the Prerelease, so I might not do it, unless I know the player is quite experienced. Later drafts, sure.

Oh, shit, really? How has this never come up before on MTGO?

Ringo

If you mean the cards that are seeded into prerelease packs, it is no longer the case that there are specific cards for that. You instead get any one rare or mythic rare in addition to your normal booster packs.

Seriously? That's ehm..interesting...I bet it will drive die-hard collectors nuts.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Or Cavern of Souls, which I think are now up to $800 a playset!

I'm assuming you were facetious, but it still got me curious, so I checked.

Only 240 for NM/M, according to SCG. Still, 60 bucks for a Cavern of Souls means not buying it for EDH anytime soon, lol.

In other news, buying a box off of Massdrop may not have been a bad idea for immediate turn-arounds, even if I only really want Avacyn, the delirium angel, and a few other cards.

Just to make sure I'm remembering things right (haven't had this come up in a while, lol), the attacking player could assign 2 damage to 1 devil, and 4 to the other (or 3/3), leaving one untouched, correct?

ultron87

Oh, shit, really? How has this never come up before on MTGO?

As far as I know you can do it on MTGO. The little up and down arrows come up when there's multiple blockers to assign damage to.

Just to make sure I'm remembering things right (haven't had this come up in a while, lol), the attacking player could assign 2 damage to 1 devil, and 4 to the other (or 3/3), leaving one untouched, correct?

Yeah, you have to assign at least lethal damage to the blockers in order, but you're totally free to overkill stuff in the order when assigning damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom