• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Duel Commander banlist has been updated and well...

Tasigur, the Golden Fang is now banned as a commander only.
Yisan, the Wanderer Bard is now banned as a commander only.
Gaea’s cradle is now banned.
Marath, Will of the Wild is added to the watchlist.
Animar, Soul of Elements is added to the watchlist.
Narset, Enlightened Master is added to the watchlist.
Jenara, Asura of War is added to the watchlist.
Cataclysm is removed from the watchlist.

I don't understand most of their decisions, Animar and Jenara are pretty balanced and healthy commanders in the format (Narset is much tougher to handle if it resolves than any commander on this list.) All I can see is that Green got a major nerf and that the metagame will shift to one that's filled with U and UW decks (Flip Jace, Grand Arbiter, Geist etc.)

they're only on the watchlist though?

tasigur and gaea's cradle should be banned. all in all great update would ban again

They are but they seem pretty ban happy the last couple of updates and it'd piss me off to no end to lose 2 decks out of 3 that I currently run, especially considering that the watchlist stuff is coming out of nowhere because suddenly having G or U is a bad thing.

Make the tasigur deck into Gitrog.

Made some changes to my Aurelia EDH deck, the biggest one switching her for Avacyn 3.0. I didn't like how Aurelia would just push me to voltron her with the little equipment I run to close out games fast so I was more than eager to put her into the 99 instead and Avacyn is much easier to cast and makes it so holding up mana is a great deterrent.

Other than that some minor adjustments, cut

• Ghostly Prison
  • Everflowing Chalice
  • Sublime Archangel
  • 1 Plains
added
  • Ancient Tomb
  • Clifftop Retreat
  • Mana Vault
  • Archangel Avacyn
what I still need but have no clue what I'd even cut
  • Sword of Fire and Ice
  • Enlightened Tutor
  • Gilded Lotus (already on the way)
  • Nahiri, the Harbinger
  • Chandra Flamecaller

Oh yeah had a ridiculous way I won an EDH game last friday, I would lose the game on my draw to Nekusar but knew my top card was Platinum Angel and since I had a quicksilver amulet I could flash it in with the trigger on the stack. Ended the game at minus 140 life.

Hackworth

The EDH Committee hates Green, confirmed. That's a bunch of my decks crippled recently for no good reason.

I'm gonna just play Noyan Dar forever now.

I'm sticking with Prossh, Daretti and Oloro (already banned in Duel, but my buddy doesn't mind playing against it). But I want to make a Gaddock Teeg deck since I recently acquired him (thanks ironmang!) and I have a lot of good Green and White cards and creatures.

With that said, I run Oloro as an enchantment control deck with the only creature in the 99 being Clever Impersonator. I actually need to tweak it and make some cuts because I have over 99 good stuff cards that I can't decide on lol.

The EDH Committee hates Green, confirmed. That's a bunch of my decks crippled recently for no good reason.

The reasoning I've seen is that banning Yisan and Cradle will allow true aggro decks to thrive and deal with U bullshit. I don't even understand what that means.

Insaniac

Went 4 - 0 - 2 at the prerelease today and got third! Won 11 packs of Shadows. My prerelease card was Dance with Devils, and I opened a Dance with Devils. Other rares were mostly a bust, with one mythic, behold the beyond :\ Did open an Odric, and splashed white just for him.

Let me say, Dance with Devils is really good. Those little demons really make combat a headache for the opponent.

Malevolent Whisper was MVP though. That card swings games so much

Some guy opened a promo Avacyn, and a normal Avacyn o.o I played him, and somehow beat him

traveler

Not Wario
Went 4 - 0 - 2 at the prerelease today and got third! Won 11 packs of Shadows. My prerelease card was Dance with Devils, and I opened a Dance with Devils. Other rares were mostly a bust, with one mythic, behold the beyond :\ Did open an Odric, and splashed white just for him.

Let me say, Dance with Devils is really good. Those little demons really make combat a headache for the opponent.

Malevolent Whisper was MVP though. That card swings games so much

Some guy opened a promo Avacyn, and a normal Avacyn o.o I played him, and somehow beat him

How many of your opponents realized they only have to deal damage to 1 devil when attacking I wonder.

Maybe something like this?

### Creature (21)
* 3 [Diregraf Colossus]
* 3 [Diregraf Ghoul]
* 3 [Geralf's Messenger]
* 4 [Gravecrawler]
* 4 [Gray Merchant of Asphodel]
* 4 [Relentless Dead]

### Instant (6)
* 3 [Geth's Verdict]
* 3 [Go for the Throat]

### Planeswalker (3)
* 3 [Liliana of the Veil]

### Sorcery (6)
* 3 [Damnation]
* 3 [Inquisition of Kozilek]

### Land (24)
* 24 [Swamp]

I was thinking similarly. Id like to fit death baron somewhere for the deathtouch.

Yeef

Pulled a pack foil Avacyn in my first pool today, which was pretty sweet. The rest of the pool was really mediocre, though. Tons of unplayables, like 3 Sanitarium Skeletons and 4 of that gain 5 life card.

startled awake seems hard to play around if youre not blue.
I beat a guy just now who had two Startled Awakes in his deck. It takes a lot of sideboarding, but it's possible. I basically sided out all of my sorcery speed removal and sided in more cheap creatures and 1/x's. 1/1's are no good, since even if you block and trade, they can just recur it again. 1/2's and 1/3's are great though. I basically just had to be super-aggressive. Delirium also helps; Tooplegeist and Tooth Collector are both really good against Startled Awake.

That's what I'm saying - you play around Ormendahl by going out of your way to not let them get to 5 sac targets (because putting out clerics with the Abbey is slow).

If you're not playing white or blue with specific cards in your deck you have no way to directly answer Ormendahl; you just lose. There's one common Exile card and one common bounce card.
There's two common bounce spells (though one is sorcery speed).

66.jpg

Jaeyden

Holy fucking shit Jace the Fat Sculptor is really damn close to JTMS in power level.

4-0'd with a U/B deck where he just won every game he came down in.

Nice to hear. Pulled a foil one in prize packs and haven't played with it yet, but he looks solid as a rock.

Change in view on black hexproof
elspethsunschampion asked: Maro, what was the thought process behind not giving Elusive Tormentor a blue activation cost? It seems like a color pie break to make a monoblack (costing) card have hexproof, and it's intensely frustrating.

We’ve let Black be tertiary at Hexproof.

Previously, when asked about Xathrid Slyblade, MaRo said it was a one-off thing for black to get hexproof. Personally, I'm all for hexproof appearing in black sometimes. The flavor makes more sense than it often does for green.
Image.ashx

Haines

Banned
I'm too exhausted to post anything but pre releases went great.

Sets extremely good and much deeper than it looks on the surface. (Tribal)

With hearthstone having a free standard this month not sure how much of I'll play tho.

Hope everyone got sweet pulls. I got jace and relentless

Ashodin

Man hexproof tertiary in black? fucking awesome

I was wondering why Elusive Tormentor didn't have 2U as the cost to activate on the blue side.

Making it 2B makes it strong as fuck though, which I loved in the prerelease

I got to live the dream of Elusive Tormentor + Slayer's Plate

An-Det

I could only do one prerelease this weekend, but I ended up getting 2nd with a mediocre RG deck from a crappy pool. I did get Arlinn Kord but never had the chance to play it on a board where it'd do anything.

Fun times at the store, and really liking the set. I can't speak to the power levels of stuff since I'm out of practice, but the flavor is fucking on point.

Ashodin

I think Arlinn Kord is just terrible in general imho. Her loyalty being so goddamn low makes her a liability.

One of my opponents said it best last night: "I just paid 4 mana for a 2/2 wolf."

I think Arlinn Kord is just terrible in general imho. Her loyalty being so goddamn low makes her a liability.

One of my opponents said it best last night: "I just paid 4 mana for a 2/2 wolf."

In limited she is bonkers. I shut down an absolutely insane red white start with her, as he was forced to throw his entire deck at her (without actually winning the battle).

Otherwise, jury is out but she doesn't look super great.

Ashodin

In limited she is bonkers. I shut down an absolutely insane red white start with her, as he was forced to throw his entire deck at her (without actually winning the battle).

Otherwise, jury is out but she doesn't look super great.

Nah dude that guy should have had removal for her. I always had removal to get into combat with her with my builds. Your opponent might have only had creatures in his sealed.

On the flip side, I have heard that the new Jace is fucking amazing

y2dvd

Went 3-1 again tonight with UW spirits. Dang spirits are really strong. So many ways to get them. And then Inspiring Captain to pump them all up was hella strong. My lost came to a guy that completely slow played. I mean, we finished one game in the entire 55 minutes. He took 5 minutes to do every single action. I didn't want to be that guy to call a judge, so I have no one to blame but myself for not saying anything. Not gonna let that happen again.

This weekend have been terrible for me as far as value goes. Out of the 42 rares+mythic which includes my winning packs, only 3 of them are $5+, but none above $10. I don't think I've opened so many bulks in my life. -_-

Ashodin

After playing with traveler I can indeed say that Declaration in Stone is probably the best white removal in Standard bar Silkwrap. It's efficient, it's easy to cast, and it's hard to avoid except for Eerie Interlude or sac outlet mechanics. Even then, the clue token you get from it may not be worth it in the end, but I'd say it's the worst removal if you go full UG Clue deck. That thing is gonna be a monster in Standard.

Man, Gitrog Toad is just the devil. Draw an extra card every turn, draw an extra card every time you play Mindwrack Demon, draw an extra card every time you sac Blighted Fen, eats Reality Smasher.

Card is so gooood.

Ashodin

I got a question. If you have no cards in hand, and you have Asylum Visitor and Sea Gate Wreckage out, is it possible to get both triggers and get two cards on your upkeep?

I got a question. If you have no cards in hand, and you have Asylum Visitor and Sea Gate Wreckage out, is it possible to get both triggers and get two cards on your upkeep?

I don't believe so? At Upkeep, AV Trigger goes on the stack automatically. If you activate wreckage, you wreck the AV Trigger as it checks upon resolving, sees that the conditions that triggered it aren't true, and fizzles. If you don't activate wreckage, you get the AV Trigger which stops Wreckage from being activated.

I might be wrong though

Stealth Edit: From Gatherer:

Asylum Visitor’s triggered ability checks the active player’s hand as the upkeep begins and as the trigger resolves. If that player has a card in hand as it resolves, you won’t draw a card or lose 1 life. Notably, if you control multiple Asylum Visitors during your upkeep, whichever one’s first ability resolves first will stop the other’s first ability from having any effect unless you have a way to get the card you drew out of your hand before it resolves

ultron87

Nope. Visitor's trigger checks on resolution for the player having no cards, so if you activate Sea Gate in response it won't work.

Ashodin

I don't believe so? At Upkeep, AV Trigger goes on the stack automatically. If you activate wreckage, you wreck the AV Trigger as it checks upon resolving, sees that the conditions that triggered it aren't true, and fizzles. If you don't activate wreckage, you get the AV Trigger which stops Wreckage from being activated.

I might be wrong though

Reading gatherer, the only way I could get two cards is if I put Asylum Visitor on the stack, draw with Sea Gate, then cast the spell if it's an instant (or madness if I can discard it) so I get another card. Seems convoluted though.

Another question. With Infectious Curse, if you play a planeswalker that targets a player for its abilities or a creature that does it with an ability, does it cost 1 less?

Reading gatherer, the only way I could get two cards is if I put Asylum Visitor on the stack, draw with Sea Gate, then cast the spell if it's an instant (or madness if I can discard it) so I get another card. Seems convoluted though.

Yeah, sounds like way too many hoops to go through for it. I do believe the 2 cards per upkeep could work with Sin Prodder( Sin Prodder->Asylum Visitor on the Stack) though.

Another question. With Infectious Curse, if you play a planeswalker that targets a player for its abilities or a creature that does it with an ability, does it cost 1 less?

No, it does not. The PWs/Creatures don't target as part of them being on the stack, so the "Costs 1 Less" doesn't apply. Kolaghan's Command would cost 1 less(If Mode 2 is chosen or Mode 4 at Face), Childra would not.

Edit: misread Infectious Curse and changed to a card in Standard

Edit2: I really need to see if I can apply for being a judge. I had the misfortune of being the fun police at my PR due to my R1 opponent trying to flicker Tokens, my R2 Opponent Flickering a Werewolf to remove my Enchantment, only for me to to remind him that due to the Flicker it was a human again, and having to call a judge to roll back combat in Round 3 as he didn't pass priority before moving into combat.

Santiako

That's just the French Commander banlist though, the regular EDH committee only has a slight problem with green :p

Oh yeah had a ridiculous way I won an EDH game last friday, I would lose the game on my draw to Nekusar but knew my top card was Platinum Angel and since I had a quicksilver amulet I could flash it in with the trigger on the stack. Ended the game at minus 140 life.

That's a crazy awesome way to survive, hahaha.

Ashodin

Yeah, sounds like way too many hoops to go through for it. I do believe the 2 cards per upkeep could work with Sin Prodder( Sin Prodder->Asylum Visitor on the Stack) though.

No, it does not. The PWs/Creatures don't target as part of them being on the stack, so the "Costs 1 Less" doesn't apply. Kolaghan's Command would cost 1 less(If Mode 2 is chosen or Mode 4 at Face), Childra would not.

Edit: misread Infectious Curse and changed to a card in Standard

gotcha, thanks. Can't run Ob Nix for that (can run for other stuff!)

However, Remorseless Punishment becomes amazing when you cast it for 2BB or 1BB.

Some updates:

lwlrjn.png

Some more hate towards what seem like the more popular strategies in the sideboard, and swapping the 3rd Read the Bones for the 2nd Ruinous Path in the main. Still keeping my sideboard as wide open as possible since we don't have a clear format yet.

I played against a guy using a Jund version with a Deathmist Package that I figured would make for good synergy with Mindwrack Demon, but losing Hedron Crawler would be painful.

I've thought about using Evolving Wilds over Foul Orchard for the frog synergies, but that would probably necessitate cutting the Grasps.

This weekend have been terrible for me as far as value goes. Out of the 42 rares+mythic which includes my winning packs, only 3 of them are $5+, but none above $10. I don't think I've opened so many bulks in my life. -_-

According to our Local mass card dealer the value of SoI is pretty abysmal. OGW was actually fairly great to open. I usually went away with extra value from drafting.

Sold my last 3 TKS today, gonna be very sad if they're gonna spike again.

Oh and this card is a frickin overperformer, first pick every time.

Even contemplating putting it into my Zur EDH to sac a necro to if in a jiffy.

Santiako

According to our Local mass card dealer the value of SoI is pretty abysmal. OGW was actually fairly great to open. I usually went away with extra value from drafting.

Sold my last 3 TKS today, gonna be very sad if they're gonna spike again.

Oh and this card is a frickin overperformer, first pick every time.

Even contemplating putting it into my Zur EDH to sac a necro to if in a jiffy.

I can't see the pic, what's the overperformer?

Ashodin

Just realized how fucking insane Sidisi, Undead Vizier is now after rotation. 4/6, exploit your accursed witch, search your library for languish, gg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom