• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is straight up just a card. Not a well flavored one, and it's OP as balls, but it actually functions.

It's actually pretty easy to train it up to create mostly real cards that do a comprehensible thing and make vague sense within the rules, it's just rare to get cards that meet all those criteria and are also interesting. The network I have here made a bunch, but most of them aren't as funny as the creature with horsemanspipacy.

That reminds me, I feel red should explore the space of exiling from the graveyard more, both as costs and effects.

Garbage Fire - 3R
Instant
Exile all cards from target player's graveyard. For every three cards exiled this way, deal 1 damage to that player and add R to your mana pool.

Squalid Pickings - R
Sorcery
Exile up to two target cards from a single graveyard. For each land card exiled this way, add R to your mana pool. For each nonland creature card exiled this way, put a 1/1 red Goblin token on the battlefield. For each nonland noncreature card exiled this way, deal 1 damage to each creature you don't control.

Hopeful Lavamancer - R
Creature - Human Shaman
R, Tap, Exile two cards from your graveyard: Exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may play that card from exile.
1/1

I also feel like exiling from an opponent's library is space red should explore. Milling + an effect based on what was milled (other than more milling) really hasn't been explored too much in blue and black.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Another in the "kind of a real card if you squint" RoboRosewater series:

CfOFBlcUsAAEvEU.jpg

This would be broken in half in any kind of half baked mill deck.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Might've been printed before the 00s.

And banned.

f0rk

What if it was at the beginning of each player's upkeep that player chooses target opponent. So they have a turn to kill you first.

Jhriad

Man, the speculators move fast. Not even an hour after the B&R announcement and TCG is pretty much sold out of Ancestral Visions...

Speculators would have already been in on these cards weeks or months ago. This is mostly organic demand from players and stores/vendors that need to very quickly buy stock while it's available.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This would be broken in half in any kind of half baked mill deck.

Its actually an interesting design space for making a mill deck viable then. Well...sort of. Counting cards in the graveyard as a mill finisher might actually be a way to make mill work, but also it doesn't win by milling, which is kind of the whole point

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
So for those lucky enough to have these cards that spiked like crazy in the past 12 hours - would it be a good idea to just sell sell sell now? Or will they go up even more?

So for those lucky enough to have these cards that spiked like crazy in the past 12 hours - would it be a good idea to just sell sell sell now? Or will they go up even more?

I would probably sell. The decks that these cards would go into are totally untested and unproven; IMO there's a higher chance that they will deflate when hype wears off

Ashodin

I am going to wreck the shit out of Tithes with my Erebos deck

My Boros.dec is going to have more problems tho. Looking aggressively for sideboards, but all I got are Dec in Stone

bigkrev

Reid Duke: "Oh noes all these existing decks are now bad better start buying into these new decks btw we here at CFB will be selling Ancestral Vision for the low low price of $50"

I didn't take that away at all- he still thinks that Affinity/Burn/Naya/Infect will be awesome, thinks Fast Combo decks will be stronger if Blue decks become thing, and the creature combo decks (Elves, Chord, ect) will still be fine. He only thinks that Jund and Junk are going to be in a bad place, because they can't compete with the card advantage of Snapcaster and Vision.
Which does concern me a little bit, because I thought that Kolagahn's Command and Abrupt Decay decks would provide a nice Check and Balance against Thopter/Sword, but if the decks that play those cards aren't played, it could get crazy.

I didn't take that away at all- he still thinks that Affinity/Burn/Naya/Infect will be awesome, thinks Fast Combo decks will be stronger if Blue decks become thing, and the creature combo decks (Elves, Chord, ect) will still be fine. He only thinks that Jund and Junk are going to be in a bad place, because they can't compete with the card advantage of Snapcaster and Vision.
Which does concern me a little bit, because I thought that Kolagahn's Command and Abrupt Decay decks would provide a nice Check and Balance against Thopter/Sword, but if the decks that play those cards aren't played, it could get crazy.

I could actually see Abzan being a thing, though I'm not sure what form it will take. If it's the typical GB Grind things out, I could maybe see BGW becoming a deck of attrition more then it already is. You've got Discard, Gitrog Monster(He could very well be a thing for BGx IMO), Hate cards, AD, etc.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200090332]Some updates:

lwlrjn.png

Some more hate towards what seem like the more popular strategies in the sideboard, and swapping the 3rd Read the Bones for the 2nd Ruinous Path in the main. Still keeping my sideboard as wide open as possible since we don't have a clear format yet.

I played against a guy using a Jund version with a Deathmist Package that I figured would make for good synergy with Mindwrack Demon, but losing Hedron Crawler would be painful.

I've thought about using Evolving Wilds over Foul Orchard for the frog synergies, but that would probably necessitate cutting the Grasps.[/QUOTE]

Do you like the Gitrog in this?

Did you miss me?

Abzan Midrange

lbxxny.png

Mostly just pushing my Bgc deck to see how far the mana really stretches this format. I've played it a few times, and whenever I'm winning it's just with my old Bgc draws lol

That said, Anguished Unmaking is a good card. Painful Truths is a little intense, though...

Do you like the Gitrog in this?

Gitrog is the best. He doesn't die to roast or ultimate price or grasp, he eats reality smashers for breakfast and if you untap with him things start getting pretty silly quick. Basically you drain your opponent's resources, drop the frog and start drawing two+ cards a turn.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Gitrog is going to be a card that every pro tries out. It'll either be a standard staple or it'll be this set's Day's Undoing. It's a very silly card that does some very silly things.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

fun fact you can't cast ancestral vision with Snapcaster

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
A mono-black zombie list without Geralf's Messenger and Mortarpod is just wrong. Personally, my version splashes blue for Diregraf Captain because it's easily the best 3 drop zombie lord. Don't underestimate Tragic Slip in the deck either. The combo of those three cards allows the deck to attack from other angles once/if the aggro plan peters out, which it can often do.

To me - and I've been playing this deck for a long time - the must haves are as follows:

4 x Gravecrawler
4 x Diregraf Ghoul

4 x Mortarpod
4 x Diregraf Captain
4 x Geralf's Messenger
4x Death Baron or Cemetary Reaper (you rarely swing with your lords, so might as well put them to work).

My removal contains some amount of Geth's Verdicts and Tragic Slips. I also was lucky enough to draft MTGO when Theros came out, so I have a set of Thoughtsiezes in there. Some people prefer running without hand disruption, but I feel that's a mistake. Board wipes are a nonbo with the deck, IMO.

traveler

Not Wario

Really don't like the 1 drops outside of Inspector. Deck gets hosed by Kozilek's return and most of the collected company guys pretty easy. I think giving up such an aggressive curve in exchange for more durable, better threats in knight of the white orchid, archangel, and reflector mage is the better way to go with humans. Sylvan Advocate and Reflector Mage make attacking impossible before anthems for nearly all those guys.

Gitrog is going to be a card that every pro tries out. It'll either be a standard staple or it'll be this set's Day's Undoing. It's a very silly card that does some very silly things.

I knew Gitrog was silly when I played a rough mirror and my opponent played a lategame frog into double evolving wilds.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200191700]Yeah but you untapped on turn 4 and played Dragonlord Atarka. What's the upside with Arlinn?[/QUOTE]

You play sweet werewolves, duh.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200191700]Yeah but you untapped on turn 4 and played Dragonlord Atarka. What's the upside with Arlinn?[/QUOTE]
Yeah but Xenagos is bad compared to Jace, the Mind Sculptor for the same CMC

My predictive power rankings for standard planeswalkers in SOI:

1. Ob Nixilis Reignited
  2. Sorin, Grim Nemesis
  3. Chandra, Flamecaller
  4. Kytheon, Hero of Akros
  5. Jace, Unraveler of Secrets

ironmang

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200192718]My predictive power rankings for standard planeswalkers in SOI:

1. Ob Nixilis Reignited
  2. Sorin, Grim Nemesis
  3. Chandra, Flamecaller
[/QUOTE]

BW is going to be very strong and I think Gideon is a reason it'll have game against every deck.

Great by itself or following a secure the wastes.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200192718]My predictive power rankings for standard planeswalkers in SOI:

1. Ob Nixilis Reignited
  2. Sorin, Grim Nemesis
  3. Chandra, Flamecaller
[/QUOTE]

I would love it if Ob got his time to shine, and Kytheon has been tragically underused. I hope you're right.

A mono-black zombie list without Geralf's Messenger and Mortarpod is just wrong. Personally, my version splashes blue for Diregraf Captain because it's easily the best 3 drop zombie lord. Don't underestimate Tragic Slip in the deck either. The combo of those three cards allows the deck to attack from other angles once/if the aggro plan peters out, which it can often do.

To me - and I've been playing this deck for a long time - the must haves are as follows:

4 x Gravecrawler
4 x Diregraf Ghoul

4 x Mortarpod
4 x Diregraf Captain
4 x Geralf's Messenger
4x Death Baron or Cemetary Reaper (you rarely swing with your lords, so might as well put them to work).

My removal contains some amount of Geth's Verdicts and Tragic Slips. I also was lucky enough to draft MTGO when Theros came out, so I have a set of Thoughtsiezes in there. Some people prefer running without hand disruption, but I feel that's a mistake. Board wipes are a nonbo with the deck, IMO.

The deck works with all of those 3 drops? And what about Diregraf Colossus, another 3 drop? And you can reliably play both Messenger and the Captain?

I'm really interested in the zombie deck, so any feedback you can give is very helpful!

kirblar

Arlin is solid. I don't know what you guys expected. It's a 4CMC Planeswalker that doesn't set the world on fire.
It's a 4 CMC PW that doesn't do anything for a turn. Xenagos, Huntmaster, Garruk Relelentless, they could all significantly affect the board state or create pressure immediately.

y2dvd

BW is going to be very strong and I think Gideon is a reason it'll have game against every deck.

That's my thinking. Surprise many think Gideon is gonna drop off. If anything, the tokens can also be fodders to Westvale Abbey if necessary.

I have a feeling Mono Red Eldrazi (MRE) is gonna continue to be one of the top dogs in standard. Play tested a against a few decks and MRE favorably had a high win percentage.

Really don't like the 1 drops outside of Inspector. Deck gets hosed by Kozilek's return and most of the collected company guys pretty easy. I think giving up such an aggressive curve in exchange for more durable, better threats in knight of the white orchid, archangel, and reflector mage is the better way to go with humans. Sylvan Advocate and Reflector Mage make attacking impossible before anthems for nearly all those guys.

I dunno man, I played a lot with this list and it felt sooo much faster and more aggressive.

OnPoint

That's my thinking. Surprise many think Gideon is gonna drop off. If anything, the tokens can also be fodders to Westvale Abbey if necessary.

I have a feeling Mono Red Eldrazi (MRE) is gonna continue to be one of the top dogs in standard. Play tested a against a few decks and MRE favorably had a high win percentage.

I just bought a set of Gideons for a decent price and I'd really like to play with them in a good deck, so I hope they do the opposite of drop off. I also have Archangels, so maybe a Mono-White deck will actually make me happy and show up big?

noquarter

Really happy with the Banned and Restricted update this time. Think the did a really good job justifying why they chose what was banned and unbanned and glad to see them unbanning cards. If they stop banning cards to force colors to play something else, even when they aren't overwhelming the meta, ala Splinter Twin and Birthing Pod the Modern format might actually start to actually become a format I really enjoy.

Hopefully Ancestral Visions helps give U some more choices and makes a U control deck competitive, even though I don't think it will.

kirblar

Twin should have been banned eons ago and wasn't (because they didn't see the problem for forever) and Pod was absolutely bannable when it happened- B/Gx midrange merging with Pod was a very bad thing when Siege Rhino got printed.

They don't want the format becoming something close to Legacy/Vintage with the reduced # of playable archetypes.

I've tested a ton of BW control and BW tokens and Gideon is very strong in both. If you're running white, you're still going to have to find a reason not to play him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom