• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Yes, and before that you were complaining about Twin. And before that, Pod.
And I was right on both. And SSG, which FINALLY people are coming around on 3 years late.

Pod was only briefly an actual issue btw, they banned it almost immediately once it crossed the line, it was fine until KTK. I was never really gung ho on banning it because I actually like Pod.

I can't imagine something like that working in limited. It'd be virtually impossible to get both parts of the card unless you get really lucky and open them each in different packs. Since they're double-sided, the rest of the table could see that you got one half and make sure you don't get the other.

Using what I edited into my previous post, with any top half being able to combine with any bottom half, a way to make it work is that for the common and uncommon BFM cards, the simple act of getting two BFM cards paired produces a strong-for-Limited card and the bonus from pairing the proper halves is small.

For example:

Port Hoodlum - 1B
Creature - Human Horror
Consumable (This card may be exiled to pay the consume cost of another card.)
2/2
==
Shore Wrecker
(Big art of Eldrazi)
(No other text)

Strange Box - 2
Artifact
Consume (4) ((4), Exile this card and a consumable card you control: Return both cards to the battlefield transformed and combined. Activate only as a sorcery.)
==
(No name or art)
Creature - Eldrazi
Devoid
Trample
If this card is combined with a card named Night Menace, it has +1/+1 and menace.
6/6

OnPoint

And I was right on both. And SSG, which FINALLY people are coming around on 3 years late.

Pod was only briefly an actual issue btw, they banned it almost immediately once it crossed the line, it was fine until KTK. I was never really gung ho on banning it because I actually like Pod.

I love SSG but it needs to go. I loved ESG as well. They're just stupid cards.

Ashodin

I think they'll only do it with Emrakul, OR they'll have cards that mix and match, but only Emrakul's pieces can be played with Emrakul.

HeebyGB said:
I dunno. Gideon has been gradually getting worse. Lots of fliers and 2/3s, and Anguished Unmaking means there's more hard removal for planeswalkers running around. If anything, Gideon isn't really game against any deck right now. Even the emblem effect gets outclassed by the new whit anthem. I'd be surprised if a deck with more than 2 copies main was running around the top tables.

Yeah. I've been only running two in Marshal Justice (what I'm calling Boros Equip now). Nahiri and Gideon are fighting for Planeswalker spots.

El Topo

It was interesting to see the narrative shift from "Twin ban is bad Tron will dominate now" to "Don't ban Eye of Ugin because that also nerfs Tron".

Didn't people say that Twin was the only thing keeping all those combo decks from wreaking havoc? Okay, in all fairness, that could still happen now that Eldrazi is nerfed.

jph139

A BFM Emrakul would be SO cool, and having it on a flip is both a clever way to implement the mechanic and a cool evolution of DFCs - definitely hyped.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200236014]How do you know that Emraxodia isn't a Soulbond trigger?[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm secretly hoping for.

Didn't people say that Twin was the only thing keeping all those combo decks from wreaking havoc? Okay, in all fairness, that could still happen now that Eldrazi is nerfed.

Well the common argument was that twin was the police and anything's gonna be linear from now on.
And another argument was that twin wasn't oppressive since you sideboarded into Keranos control anyway.

Watched Gaby stream a bit and Griselshoalbrand seems a bit degenerate.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I didn't take that away at all- he still thinks that Affinity/Burn/Naya/Infect will be awesome, thinks Fast Combo decks will be stronger if Blue decks become thing, and the creature combo decks (Elves, Chord, ect) will still be fine. He only thinks that Jund and Junk are going to be in a bad place, because they can't compete with the card advantage of Snapcaster and Vision.
Which does concern me a little bit, because I thought that Kolagahn's Command and Abrupt Decay decks would provide a nice Check and Balance against Thopter/Sword, but if the decks that play those cards aren't played, it could get crazy.

The thing is: I don't expect Thopter Sword or Visions to make any real impact on the format other than hyping a few people. The deck that Thopter-Sword was broken in still has multiple cards banned and the combo pieces don't do anything on their own (and literally every deck runs hate that hits those cards already).

Ancestral Visions is pretty clearly worse than Treasure Cruise and that didn't make Control Great Again. All of the decks in the format are pretty low to the ground to begin with. I tend to doubt Visions is even that great against Jund, and its practically useless against Burn/Zoo/Affinity.

OnPoint

Poor Jace. When will he ever make his mark in Modern?

In all honesty, I'd be curious to see JTMS in Modern.

The thing is: I don't expect Thopter Sword or Visions to make any real impact on the format other than hyping a few people. The deck that Thopter-Sword was broken in still has multiple cards banned and the combo pieces don't do anything on their own (and literally every deck runs hate that hits those cards already).

Ancestral Visions is pretty clearly worse than Treasure Cruise and that didn't make Control Great Again. All of the decks in the format are pretty low to the ground to begin with. I tend to doubt Visions is even that great against Jund, and its practically useless against Burn/Zoo/Affinity.

Wasn't the best Cruise deck UR Delver aggro? I wouldn't imagine Visions and Cruise are going to fill the same role just based on how Visions works.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

The reason why you will never see that is the same reason Thopter-Depths probably isn't good: because WOTC doesn't like giving players a way to dig for combos.

Careful now. You can't use the actions of WotC to judge whether you're right or wrong. If you want to say you were "right" about Twin because it got banned, you now have to admit that you were "wrong" about Sword of the Meek because it got unbanned. :)

What I think is really interesting about the Twin banning in light of the Sword of the Meek unbanning is that they both do very similar things to the format, in that they're super oppressive to linear aggro decks and provide blue decks a "combo finish." The difference is that the Sword combo has less redundancy and it doesn't win on the spot - which makes it weaker to linear strategies that don't attack your life total. Unbanning Ancestral Vision also gives blue decks a different avenue to attack the long game with in the form of efficient card advantage.

I wonder if Wizards intended to unban these cards all along, but waited a cycle to give themselves an out just in case the Twin banning wasn't as damaging to blue in Modern as they thought it would be (if that's really the case, I would have hoped they would stick to the process and wait another cycle since Eldrazi Winter made the data unusable, but they got a lot of bad press from the Twin banning). My expectation (and the expectation of most people who put a lot of time into Modern) was that Blue was basically dead in the format without either (A) a combo finish or (B) an efficient form of card advantage. Not only did they give blue players both of those things, but they also killed Eye of Ugin to end the Eldrazi Winter, which neutered Tron's long game and removed one of the biggest predators to traditional control decks in Modern.

In short, I like these unbans because they fix most of the problems that the Twin banning caused. They retroactively make me hate the Twin ban a lot less.

Angry Grimace

Wasn't the best Cruise deck UR Delver aggro? I wouldn't imagine Visions and Cruise are going to fill the same role just based on how Visions works.

The problem is that the format is just too fast for blue-based control decks and even against Jund, Ancestral Vision is a miserable topdeck.

Jund/k IS the control deck of the format, people just don't like calling it that.

OnPoint

The problem is that the format is just too fast for blue-based control decks and even against Jund, Ancestral Vision is a miserable topdeck.

Jund/k IS the control deck of the format, people just don't like calling it that.

I agree with you on this, on all counts, really.

Santiako

Wow, a double card for a massive Emrakul would be really cool. Maybe cryptolith circle and the moon combine to bring Emmy to life.

kirblar

Yup. Slow things down a tad and traditional control gets much more viable naturally. SSG is a good first step to doing that.

re: using Wizards's logic- SOTM is a test unban. (AV should pose like zero problems.) Pod ban became obvious after Abzan/MeliraPod merged into ValuPod. Twin was oppressive to the format, but it took forever for people to realize the negative effects it had because people were used to it from Standard. You can still play it in Legacy.

I'm not sure if BBE actually deserves to be on that list. I don't think Opal should be banned (yet), but it's close to a tipping point.

ironmang

With how expensive T1 decks have become in modern, if Mox Opal ever got banned I would probably just sell out of the format and only play GPs or Invitationals with borrowed decks. Already been selling a lot of my cards so busting out the wallet and paying $1000+ for another deck with a high win percentage is not something I'll be doing anytime soon.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Cost is sort of why I secretly hope JTMS is never unbanned. They're never reprinting him in standard and they don't give enough of a shit about human beings to do something with their reprint policy, so unbanning him would instantly make it the most expensive card in modern by a wide margin.

Yeef

Cards I'd like to see in Eldritch Moon:

All in Your Head 2U
Instant
Put target spell on top of its owner's library.

Something to Worry About B
Sorcery
Target opponent loses 3 life.
Madness B

Ashodin

Wow, a double card for a massive Emrakul would be really cool. Maybe cryptolith circle and the moon combine to bring Emmy to life.

Absolutely certain this is how it'll go down too. Moon is an artifact, drownyard temple a land.

Get both out, pay 10 mana, boom.

Actually, now that I think about it...

247.jpg
is out

(fake cards ahoy)

j2azFyT.gif
is the top
E8kwCRo.gif
is the bottom
(I forgot to include a clause about needing the Sacrifice to stop the top half of Emrakul from transforming but eh)

Nahiri can search for either half. I think that's the reason why she searches for artifact or creature. Granted, it could be because she's Nahiri and loves equipment yo, but I think they will definitely do this so you can search either half.

holy shit I just realized what the justification for the huge emrakul could be

In the story, they said that the Eldrazi came as three. What if killing the other two actually combined them with Emrakul (as in, they were once ONE HUGE ELDRAZI and then split into three?) and now Emrakul is larger than ever before. It might not even be called Emrakul any more. It could be something even greater and more incredible.

El Topo

All in Your Head 2U
Instant

Sorcery
Madness B

You really want a worse Memory Lapse variant?

Ashodin

What if

What if the legendary vanilla creature in EDM is Emrakul

Then it transforms with the moon into super emrakul

Wouldn't this also be a good test case for assembling contraptions? #kaladeshmachines confirmed. :p

:O

Ashodin

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200242810]If it has Transform, it doesn't count as vanilla, right?[/QUOTE]

Not unless another card forcefully transforms it without any front facing text.

The legendary vanilla creature is actually a giant ice cream snowman, obviously.

I'm (Emra)cool with an Exodia-type situation. They obviously need to do something big and dumb with Emrakul since just costing at 15 mana doesn't have the same zasz these days, and they've obviously set the stage for some sort of "ritual summoning" flavor.

Ashodin

The legendary vanilla creature is actually a giant ice cream snowman, obviously.

I'm (Emra)cool with an Exodia-type situation. They obviously need to do something big and dumb with Emrakul since just costing at 15 mana doesn't have the same zasz these days, and they've obviously set the stage for some sort of "ritual summoning" flavor.

My thing is the card literally has to be insane to justify playing it

It either:

Cannot be affected by creature removal once on the battlefield

Cannot be transformed back into its parts

Or something else nutty.

Yeef

Nahiri's ultimate is too telling that there will almost certainly be some big, dumb creature and/or artifact in the next set. If it's a creature, it will almost certainly be Emrakul.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
the eldrazi were cute on zendikar because zendikar was a boring plane. innistrad has one of the best and strongest flavours in all of the planes in mtg at the moment. adding eldrazi to it just turns it into another zendikar, which is boring.

G.ZZZ

All in Your Head 2U
Instant

Sorcery
Madness B

Still waiting for a red discard spell/engine that's not the fourth reprint in a row of tormenting voice.

If you want to experience the cards but don't want to spend money, you can download Magic Duels. It's F2P, but you can legitimately get all the cards in a set without spending money with only a moderate time investment.

I might try it out, but I was sort of disappointed the last time I tried to play Magic on my iPad or computer. I'm spoiled by Hearthstone, having to pause all the time to see if the other person will block, or cast an instant, or use an ability, etc. really breaks up the flow of the game, and they can be sort of long to play multiplayer.

Maybe it's just because it's the way I played it for years but Magic just feels like it's much better played in person.

Big news: WotC is going to disable the ability to watch match replays on MTGO unless you participated in the event. They're being specifically clear about why: to prevent data mining. Very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom