• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

that card literally got printed just now

Target would be better for Triskaidekaphobia shenanigans.

Big news: WotC is going to disable the ability to watch match replays on MTGO unless you participated in the event. They're being specifically clear about why: to prevent data mining. Very interesting.

I like it. It'll lead to the format looking different longer than usual after a Set's release (because pros poopsock the SHIT out of MTGO to solve a format).

kirblar

Big news: WotC is going to disable the ability to watch match replays on MTGO unless you participated in the event. They're being specifically clear about why: to prevent data mining. Very interesting.
MTGGoldfish-type stuff was clearly happening non-publicly.

If you're going to do it, this is the best way to do it, not "asking" them not to.

Ashodin

Damn, Bygone Bishop is REALLY good in Marshal Justice. Your drops make clue tokens to draw cards AND draw cards when they die? Sheeit. Plus with Odric out the whole team gets flying.

The problem is figuring out what to keep in.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Mistakes in deckbuilding:

1) If your standard deck has three colors

that is all

My thing is the card literally has to be insane to justify playing it

It either:

Cannot be affected by creature removal once on the battlefield

Cannot be transformed back into its parts

Or something else nutty.

Depending on how complicated/interesting/interactive the ritual summoning mechanics are, I would be okay with it being basically "win the game" by other terms. (ie, "Emrakul is immune to goddamn every little thing and we've put a razorblade on the edge of the card to cut your opponent with if they don't sweep when you drop it on the table like a good boy. Take an extra turn.")

Too bad they already spent an interesting ritual mechanic on Hedron Alignment, as that would have synchronized with Nahiri in pretty amusing ways, and has the right kind of "feel" for an Emrakul summoning.

Hero

Yes, because it was completely stupid and BBE took the bullet for it at the time unnecessarily.

I remember saying "Wrong kid died" back when BBE got banned but almost nobody wanted to listen to me despite DRS being the problem card in Jund.

Never ever ever.

Bloodbraid Elf unbanning has to come along with the JTMS unbanning. I actually think JTMS isn't too far off from being unbanned. There's so many cards that get rid of planeswalkers compared to when the card came out.

Yup. Slow things down a tad and traditional control gets much more viable naturally. SSG is a good first step to doing that.

re: using Wizards's logic- SOTM is a test unban. (AV should pose like zero problems.) Pod ban became obvious after Abzan/MeliraPod merged into ValuPod. Twin was oppressive to the format, but it took forever for people to realize the negative effects it had because people were used to it from Standard. You can still play it in Legacy.

I'm not sure if BBE actually deserves to be on that list. I don't think Opal should be banned (yet), but it's close to a tipping point.

You and I were pretty much the only people here advocating for the Twin ban. We fought the good fight.

Supast4r

And I was right on both. And SSG, which FINALLY people are coming around on 3 years late.

Pod was only briefly an actual issue btw, they banned it almost immediately once it crossed the line, it was fine until KTK. I was never really gung ho on banning it because I actually like Pod.
Ssg hasn't crossed any lines yet and this is coming from the guy that wants tarmogoyf banned when it's perfectly fine.

4 Wall of Resurgence
4 Eldrazi Displacer
2 Dragonlord Ojutai
2 Halimar Tidecaller
2 Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper
1 Linvala, the Preserver
4 Reflector Mage
1 Archangel of Tithes

4 Declaration in Stone
2 Planar Outburst
3 Scatter to the Winds
4 Anticipate
2 Roil Spout

4 Prairie Stream
4 Port Town
4 Drownyard Temple
3 Westvale Abbey
4 Crumbling Vestige
3 Plains
3 Island

Idea is to Eldrazi Displacer good ETB triggers until you can kill them with Ojutai or an awakened land
or kindness
. Drownyard Temple is an excellent awaken target because you can get it back if it's killed. Been working on this list with a friend since before SOI was spoiled and I'm trying to find a decent place for Always Watching in there. The Anticipates can be something else, but it has to be an instant or sorcery or I just need to abandon the Noyan Dar entirely.

I haven't gotten a chance to play with this a lot, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs.

Also messing around with numbers on some GW CoCo lists and trying to get mana consistent for a Bant Company list.

On the other side of the aisle, I'm working on a monoB or WB list of good stand alone creatures with just all removal backing them up. Two guys at my store came at me with a monoB deck that was Kalitas, Drana, Erebos' Titan and then just black removal. 4x of Languish, Grasp, Ruinous Path, UPrice, the Kitchen Sink. It was a good idea and might be even better with a good deck builder tinkering with it.

I don't have any money for SOI product or singles, though. Anyone wanna buy some cards?

Bandini

Lands, eldrazi, death and taxes, elves, enchantress, imperial painter, nic fit and oh btw those decks are all great decks. This notion that you need brainstorm and fow is just not true

Don't forget about Charbelcher! Been having a lot of fun with that lately. Legacy is great in general when you don't care about actually owning the cards and just play with friends.

Just proxied up Nic-Fit, hopefully get to take it for a test drive in the next couple days.

Crocodile

I understand their general goal but this "anti-data" approach always seems so un-Modern of WOTC. You can't stop formats from being solved, that's just the nature of how data moves and spreads in this world. Just focus on making a format fun even in its solved/near-solved state and let your now more quickly rotating set schedule handle the rest.

Ashodin

On the other side of the aisle, I'm working on a monoB or WB list of good stand alone creatures with just all removal backing them up. Two guys at my store came at me with a monoB deck that was Kalitas, Drana, Erebos' Titan and then just black removal. 4x of Languish, Grasp, Ruinous Path, UPrice, the Kitchen Sink. It was a good idea and might be even better with a good deck builder tinkering with it.

I don't have any money for SOI product or singles, though. Anyone wanna buy some cards?
Tee hee

Titanfall catchin' on

WotC is going to replace Legendary Cube with Legacy Cube tomorrow. :lol

I actually liked Legendary Cube. Legacy Cube is definitely better, but Legendary Cube is a fun diversion.

This is my GDS3 gimmick.

It was Ken Nagle's off-the-wall mechanic idea for New Phyrexia too, although there it was left side/right side.

I understand their general goal but this "anti-data" approach always seems so un-Modern of WOTC. You can't stop formats from being solved, that's just the nature of how data moves and spreads in this world.

They don't need to stop it, they just need to slow it down enough that the metagame is shifting over the 3 month Standard window after each set.

Just focus on making a format fun even in its solved/near-solved state and let your now more quickly rotating set schedule handle the rest.

No such thing, really.

Magic Story - The Drownyard Temple
* Jace is looking for the cryptolith locations listed in the journal.
* Jace is feeling lonely, so he reads a journal entry where Tamiyo performs on autopsy on an unusual werewolf cadaver, first in that it didn't revert to human form on death, and second in that there are unusual spongy membranes and other growths around and inside the body, including an eye growing inside the liver.
* Jace finds a crypolith and reads a journal entry, describing how they are disrupting the (magnetic?) poles so that one is now just off shore, and they are also disrupting mana flows, which particularly affects creatures made of mana such as angels.
* When Jace is shocked by the crypolith upon touching it, he starts talking to the journal to ask if it's alright.
* More journal reading: werewolf activity is increasing, and the tides are behaving strangely, seemingly not tied to the moon anymore but some other gravitational force at the same location as the pole mentioned above. The moon's phases are changing, and Tamiyo believes that there is a very large but invisible object nearby pulling it.
* Jace heads toward the location near the shore, and encounters a creepy fisherwoman. He's getting nothing out of her through talking, so he tries to read her mind. With basic reading, her thoughts seem to evaporate on touch, so he goes deeper, and finds himself trapped in a white dome.
* As he tries to get out, a strange distortion in the middle of the room keeps growing. Weird stuff happens, including illusionary copies of Jace appearing that act on their own, then the distortion turns into a fleshy lattice covered in eyes. Jace starts falling, and he is finally able to break out of the woman's mind. The woman leaves without paying Jace much attention.
* Jace reaches the Drownyard and realizes the crypoliths all point here. But there isn't actually anything of note he can see where they converge.
* The journal concludes that a large celestial object is heading for Innistrad, but Jace can see no such thing. Tamiyo refers to it as an "eldritch moon". There are no more entries concerning it after that point, just a note to perform further field studies later.
* Despite the random zombies wandering around, Jace wades into the water to reach the center of the cryptoliths. He touches one again, and notices what is described as a blind spot above, where energy is being collected.
* Jace is bothered by the illusions of his that are acting on their own again. They talk to him, and Jace comes to the conclusion that Liliana is behind all this. He starts to leave, and looking back, he can no longer see the object above the center of the crypoliths.

Insaniac

4 Wall of Resurgence
4 Eldrazi Displacer
2 Dragonlord Ojutai
2 Halimar Tidecaller
2 Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper
1 Linvala, the Preserver
4 Reflector Mage
1 Archangel of Tithes

4 Declaration in Stone
2 Planar Outburst
3 Scatter to the Winds
4 Anticipate
2 Roil Spout

4 Prairie Stream
4 Port Town
4 Drownyard Temple
3 Westvale Abbey
4 Crumbling Vestige
3 Plains
3 Island

Idea is to Eldrazi Displacer good ETB triggers until you can kill them with Ojutai or an awakened land
or kindness
. Drownyard Temple is an excellent awaken target because you can get it back if it's killed. Been working on this list with a friend since before SOI was spoiled and I'm trying to find a decent place for Always Watching in there. The Anticipates can be something else, but it has to be an instant or sorcery or I just need to abandon the Noyan Dar entirely.

I haven't gotten a chance to play with this a lot, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs.

Also messing around with numbers on some GW CoCo lists and trying to get mana consistent for a Bant Company list.

The new astral slide!

not really :(

but not really sure about the animated land thing. i feel like you'd be better off adding whirler rogue for more unlimited tokens

ultron87

I forget. Are planes like planets so Emrakul can just float away from Zendikar and eventually get to Innistrad? Or is there teleportation dimension shifting stuff that has to happen? Since it sounds like she didn't just appear in orbit, but is gradually drifting closer.

kirblar

I forget. Are planes like planets so Emrakul can just float away from Zendikar and eventually get to Innistrad? Or is there teleportation dimension shifting stuff that has to happen? Since it sounds like she didn't just appear in orbit, but is gradually drifting closer.
Shift takes time.

edit: Also, It's Emrakul

69.jpg

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
jace will thwart nahiri's plan at the last second

no emrakul on innistrad

no emrakul card in eldritch moon

come @ me eldrazi stans

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm legit surprised at the number of people who for some insane person reason think Declaration in Stone is bad because investigate.

The card is the best removal in the entire format and you're building your deck wrong if you're playing white and not playing Declaration in Stone.

I'm legit surprised at the number of people who for some insane person reason think Declaration in Stone is bad because investigate.

The card is the best removal in the entire format and you're building your deck wrong if you're playing white and not playing Declaration in Stone.

yeah its weird. Its the path of std

Angry Grimace

Hell, I have to guess that Declaration is probably a color pie issue. It isn't even conditional removal. It's unconditional removal with a drawback.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

Whatever they draw with their clue token (after investing two mana) is likely worse than whatever you exiled with DiS. Even more so if you hit multiple targets.

Son1x

I have to agree with you. Most of my friends are pretty unimpressed with this card. I'm the only one hyping it. Sure they get a clue, but its a cheap and effective removal that also works as a pseudo maelstrom pulse. Only wish it was instant.

Son1x

Hell, I have to guess that Declaration is probably a color pie issue. It isn't even conditional removal. It's unconditional removal with a drawback.

Not really. Both swords and path are unconditional removal with a drawback. They're even instant and 1 mana. I think there are a few other 4+ CMC unconditional ones without a drawback in white too.

Angry Grimace

It's 2 mana unconditional removal that gets more unreasonable in constructed because the ability to 2-for-1 your opponent (discounting the mana-fueled CA) is real.

Not really. Both swords and path are unconditional removal with a drawback. They're even instant and 1 mana. I think there are a few other 4+ CMC unconditional ones in white too.

Swords to Plowshares and Path to Exile are both color pie issues.

ironmang

And it cleans up tokens for free.

If it wasn't for that detail then I really wouldn't be all that thrilled to run it along side the black removal in a BW(x) deck. Not being instant speed is a huge loss. I love being able to hold up removal to kill their T3 play then sticking a Gideon.

kirblar

White getting "Reparations" effects is completely in pie. This has been a thing forever, it's just something MaRo's wrong on (like the Legend rule) and he's correctly overruled by everyone else.

Son1x

edit: Turns out the two white unconditional removals I had in mind are actually creature/enchantment removals so they're a bit different and they're almost the only ones too. (Angelic Edict and Iona's Judgment).

its barely a drawback. They have to invest in the clue, which they might not be able to do if they need to replace their threat you removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom