• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

can you explain color pie to me?

It's what each colour is supposed to do (e.g. red=burn, green=ramp, blue=drawing, white=life gain, black=discard), as well as what they're supposed to represent (e.g. red=chaos, emotion, green=nature, growth, blue=intellect, white=law, order, black=selfishness).

It's what each colour is supposed to do (e.g. red=burn, green=ramp, blue=drawing, white=life gain, black=discard).

It actually starts from the philosophy that color embodies, and from there it becomes mechanical. For example, Red is impulsive and emotional, so when it "loots" it discards first, then draws, while Blue is more thoughtful and plans ahead, so it draws first, then discards.

Santiako

It actually starts from the philosophy that color embodies, and from there it becomes mechanical. For example, Red is impulsive and emotional, so when it "loots" it discards first, then draws, while Blue is more thoughtful and plans ahead, so it draws first, then discards.

Yeah, I edited that in later :p

can you explain color pie to me?

Here's a good primer: http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Color_Pie

It's basically the identity that a color operates within. It's not only mechanics ideals, but also specifically where mechanics and keywords fall. Like the newly introduced mechanic, Prowess, lies within Blue and Red's color pie. It's interested in non-creature spells, so it's not something green would ever really touch, being the creature focused color. There are tertiary colors for most keywords that are slight bends in the roles of these color pie identities, but still within what you'd expect from them. When saying that unconditional removal with downside might be out of color pie for white, it's saying that this type of removal is typically seen in black, with red being a secondary to it with creature burn spells. White typically has conditions to its removal or enchantment based ways to get their effects. A white spell just killing something or exiling it outright is not in its identity and any spell that does so could be outside its pie role.

Ashodin

Magic Story:

dVWOp6t.png

oh shit yeah time to play through Magic Duels OGW and SOI content tonight!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I will never understand the need to own "real" tokens. You can just print them out and insert a piece of paper over a basic land in a sleeve. It's the same reason it drives me mad when someone shows up to FNM playing Hangarback Walker and says "I don't have any Thopter tokens."

SaffronOlive has this whole article on the most valuable tokens, but why the fuck would you pay money for a token

I will never understand the need to own "real" tokens. You can just print them out and insert a piece of paper over a basic land in a sleeve. It's the same reason it drives me mad when someone shows up to FNM playing Hangarback Walker and says "I don't have any Thopter tokens."

SaffronOlive has this whole article on the most valuable tokens, but why the fuck would you pay money for a token

I bought some real tokens for my cube, but only the cheap ones. As much as I would like to own proper Elemental Tokens for Young Pyro, fuck that noise.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ok, this may have always been the plan:

58934_200w.jpg

(look at the name)

I'm probably missing the obvious, here, but...what am I looking for? Rem Kerolus being an 'Inquisitor' pre-Shadows?

Rem Karolus
To
So, Emrakul

This....feels like a stretch, somewhat. Not impossible, but unless its a red herring, his 'characterization' via card text doesn't really feel like he's Nahiri or a disciple of Emra.

Also, a part of me is lol'ing at Jace, the overpowered poster boy, being so bamboozled by Emra/Nahiri and the Cryptoliths.

OnPoint

This....feels like a stretch, somewhat. Not impossible, but unless its a red herring, his 'characterization' via card text doesn't really feel like he's Nahiri or a disciple of Emra.

Also, a part of me is lol'ing at Jace, the overpowered poster boy, being so bamboozled by Emra/Nahiri and the Cryptoliths.

I'm not necessarily saying it's true, but they did the "hidden in flavor text" thing with Gideon and Kytheon in the past. So it wouldn't be shocking to see it again.

Joe Molotov

I'd rather pay for tokens than foils.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Lost Rd. 2 to a dude with a bunch of Stalking Yetis :(

Fuchs

My friends and I have another booster draft thingy (picking cards, building decks out of them and playing against each other) planned for coming saturday.
This will be my second time participating in one.
My first time doing this kind of draft was during the release of Oath of the Gatewatch, which was pretty neat, bc I had a ton of fun, although I was at last place.

Had a look at the spoilers for Shadows over Innistrad and totally digging the new mechanics and the absolutely stunning art for this set.

Quick questions:
Anything to look out for while picking cards and building the deck?
Also, which kind of colour combination would you recommend for this set?
I feel blue and green are pretty strong (I always prefer black and red though).

Not only can the deck work with multiple lords, it demands them! Now, I can't speak on Diregraf Colossus because I haven't played with it. I have played with the Diregraf Captain and Reaper pretty extensively. Like, a hell of a lot. Check the receipts, this deck has been my pet project for years. Now, I'm under illusions that it's a Tier 1 deck, but it has and can beat Tier 1 decks. I really believe it's T2.

So, back to the business at hand. You're only splashing blue, so you really only want 1 island (and only that for Path/Spreading Seas). Otherwise, go heavy on basic swamps and the good UB duals. You will never want for BBB for Messenger. Nor is it hard to get to the 1 blue source for Captain.

The idea of this deck is a swarm strategy that is semi-resistant to board wipes. Your Messengers come back, your Gravecrawlers come back. Your lord causes board wipes to be super painful for the opponent, while your other 1 drops are just 1 drops. If they spend 4 mana to remove two 1-drops, awesome. If they do so when a Captain is on board, bad luck for you, but not painless for them. That's also where hand disruption comes in.

The deck is weak against what all aggro strategies are weak against. No matter how fast a start you get off to, you're still trying to win with 2 power dudes. You need some angle of attack post that. Mortarpod and reverting to a semi-monoblack "kill all of their things" shell with spot removal and edicts (Geth's Verdict) helps. I usually run 2 Grey Merchants, but I'm not 100 percent on those.

Uh. So, I have a lot to say about this deck. I don't want to write any more of a novel than need be. But I'm always stoked to talk about my baby.

Have you ever tried grave pact?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

Printing your own would require an antiquated device known as a "printer".

Cocaloch

Hey guys, I'm thinking about jumping back in after not having played since around Ravnica/Timespiral. How much would a decent deck for standard run me these days? I'm good with playing most any kind of deck, but I think if price is equal I would prefer control of some sort.

I forget. Are planes like planets so Emrakul can just float away from Zendikar and eventually get to Innistrad? Or is there teleportation dimension shifting stuff that has to happen? Since it sounds like she didn't just appear in orbit, but is gradually drifting closer.
Planes are separate dimensions, but they typically only are the size of a planet + some surrounding space. However, there is space between the planes, the Blind Eternities, which the Eldrazi physically travel through.

Hey guys, I'm thinking about jumping back in after not having played since around Ravnica/Timespiral. How much would a decent deck for standard run me these days? I'm good with playing most any kind of deck, but I think if price is equal I would prefer control of some sort.
It's hard to say, since Standard has just now rotated, but it shouldn't be too bad now. Certainly not what it would have been just a week ago.

Cocaloch

Planes are separate dimensions, but they typically only are the size of a planet + some surrounding space. However, there is space between the planes, the Blind Eternities, which the Eldrazi physically travel through.

It's hard to say, since Standard has just now rotated, but it shouldn't be too bad now. Certainly not what it would have been just a week ago.

Yeah? Maybe I'll check back in a few weeks from now. I had heard from a friend who stopped playing a year ago that standard and modern had been getting more expensive recently.

Yeah? Maybe I'll check back in a few weeks from now. I had hear from a friend who stopped playing a year ago that standard and modern had been getting more expensive recently.

The Standard part was due to recent idiotic decisions from R&D regarding Manabases in that we had Ally Fetches+Ally dual lands+Wedge colours as big players, meaning that decks were running 10+Fetches and playing a large chunk of similar cards. This Standard looks to be an improvement, with 3 colors being the max you can run.

Modern is "expensive", but nothing rotates out of Modern and there's some viable cheap decks out there for the format compared to Standard. An average Modern deck is around $5-700 IIRC, with the only two I can think that cost more are Jund/Junk. Maybe TRON, but The most expensive piece of that is Grove.

The biggest expense in Modern comes from older cards that haven't been reprinted. Horizon Canopy/Grove of the Burnwillows/The Zendikar fetch lands are all $50+.

Angry Grimace

Planes are basically planets separated by outer space.

Yeef

Just played through the Shadows of Innistrad campaign in Magic Duels. You play as Jace, with a mono-blue deck up until the last match, when you play as "Jace and Tamiyo" in Bant colors. I wonder if they're planning on making Tamiyo a Bant walker, instead of her being mono-blue.

kirblar

That makes sense, it's the Investigate colors of the block. I bet she got the "investigator" PW design we thought would go to Jace.

Does mtgsalvation give anyone else issues? It's always super slow and firefox is always complaining about scripts crashing, which causes it to reload pages.

I mean, I can get why she's bant(As Kirblar said, Investigate colours), but I still feel like it doesn't mesh with Tamiyo from what we know. She's a constant knowledge seeker but I can't figure out what the flavor reason is for her gaining GW. Unless Wizards decides that where she's been is helping out Thalia/The Order of Saint Traft in protecting innocents from the Angels/Lunar Council

shouldn't it be possible for two planets to make up a single plane?

Yes, it's possible, but unless Wizards wants to do a binary system world, we don't actually see planes with multiple planets. Really, it is nice that they have a clean answer as to whether there are other inhabited planets in a plane and if they could be visited.

Actually, it could be neat to have a plane where there are two planets that can easily be crossed between. Imagine land cards where you can also see the landscape of another planet in the sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom