• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never drafted Coldsnap before but Disciple of Tevesh Szat being a common makes me laugh. Once the second one hits the board, they almost always automatically concede.

coldsnap fuckin blows

* The journal concludes that a large celestial object is heading for Innistrad, but Jace can see no such thing. Tamiyo refers to it as an "eldritch moon".

Odds on the exact card name being "Emrakul, Eldritch Moon"?

Hell, I have to guess that Declaration is probably a color pie issue.

In the sense that Rosewater has a dumb idea even the rest of R&D disagrees with that white shouldn't ever get unconditional removal, anyway.

(look at the name)

haha, holy shit

Does mtgsalvation give anyone else issues?

Mostly heartburn and regret.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Can someone explain why Modern Affinity doesnt run Frogmite or Enforcer? Not fast enough without artifact lands?

Santiako

Can someone explain why Modern Affinity doesnt run Frogmite or Enforcer? Not fast enough without artifact lands?
Vanilla 2/2s don't do much and there are better alternatives to 2 or 3 mana 4/4s I guess. They were the shit back in the day though.

ironmang

You really don't want to do battle on the ground. Memnite only gets played because it allows for broken starts where Frogmite and Enforcer require to be played after broken starts and they're competing with Ravager, Overseer, Plating, Etched, and Master for that role in the deck.

They are win more cards that don't get you ahead. You won't be able to play a frogmite turn 1 for zero and tap it for mana with springleaf drum. But that's the kinda starts you want.

Does the Eye of Ugin loss make Kozilek 2 worthwhile for Tron?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";199501066]Cryptolith Rite moving on up.

Also, using Mirrorpool to copy Thought-Knot in your opponent's draw step is pretty sweet. Almost as sweet as casting Hangarback for 0 to stop yourself from dying to your own Mindwracks and then winning.[/QUOTE]
What's your most recent list looking like? I play tested with the BGC Version with pretty solid results against all the weenie/coco strats in xmage right now.

OnPoint

Odds on the exact card name being "Emrakul, Eldritch Moon"?

Probably pretty high. Makes me wonder if she's going to eat or replace the actual Heron moon. The idea that the moon and something else "transform" into the two-part Emrakul that's rumored seems inevitable at this point.

Also, the Heron moon seems pretty important for lots of lore reasons on Innistrad (werewolves and silver, for example), I wonder how it would affect things if it were gone and replaced by the titan and how things would change on the plane (return again in several years to find out!).

bigkrev

Affinity is a deck that has 3 types of cards- Mana sources, do nothing enablers, and action cards. Your action cards are Archbound Ravager, Master of Etherium, Cranial Plating, Steel Overseer, and Etched Champion. The first 4 pay you off for having multiple artifacts in play by leveraging them into a game ending threat, and Etched Champion is a very difficult to answer longer game threat. Your do nothing cards- Ornithopter, Memnite, Vault Skirge, Signal Pest- are all cards that are either free or 1 mana, mostly evasive creatures that wouldn't be worth deck slots if you didn't have a payoff card. Frogmite and Myr Enforcer do not fall into either role- Frogmite is too much mana for a functional do-nothing, and Myr Enforcer does not pay you off in a significant game-ending way for the work it requires.

bigkrev

I wouldn't call Vault Skirge a do nothing card it's pretty integral.

Vault skirge is a card that without an enabler does nothing but deal 1 damage and gain you 1 life a few times, and it costs you 2 life to cast. It needs a Cranial Plating, +1/+1 counters from either a Ravager or Steel Overseer, or a pump from Master of Etherium before it has any actual impact on the game

Vault skirge is a card that without an enabler does nothing but deal 1 damage and gain you 1 life a few times, and it costs you 2 life to cast. It needs a Cranial Plating, +1/+1 counters from either a Ravager or Steel Overseer, or a pump from Master of Etherium before it has any actual impact on the game

that's why I'd group it with Etched Champion, and I've found even a couple attacks with a signal pests being rather helpful.

OnPoint

It's definitely one of the weaker cards in the deck, but it does a few other things well enough that it's an OK inclusion.

• eats a burn spell
  • eats a removal spell
  • counts for metalcraft
  • taps with Springleaf Drum
  • chumps attackers

bigkrev

that's why I'd group it with Etched Champion.

Depending on the matchup (or even game 1 if you don't know what your opponent is on), you can keep a hand of 2 lands, 2 Ornithopters an additional mana source, a Thoughtcast, and a Etched Champion. You can NEVER keep that same hand if that Etched Champion was a Vault Skirge.

The one card that floats between do-nothing and action card is Signal Pest, and in my experience, it is closer to a do-nothing than a real action card unless you have multiples of them.

It's definitely one of the weaker cards in the deck, but it does a few other things well enough that it's an OK inclusion.

• eats a burn spell
  • eats a removal spell
  • counts for metalcraft
  • taps with Springleaf Drum
  • chumps attackers

That is the textbook definition of a do-nothing in a deck that wants to win very quickly. It's a very important card, but you can't ever win the game with the card unless it's enabled by one of your action cards.

Depending on the matchup (or even game 1 if you don't know what your opponent is on), you can keep a hand of 2 lands, 2 Ornithopters an additional mana source, a Thoughtcast, and a Etched Champion. You can NEVER keep that same hand if that Etched Champion was a Vault Skirge.

The one card that floats between do-nothing and action card is Signal Pest, and in my experience, it is closer to a do-nothing than a real action card unless you have multiples of them.

The same how you can take a hand with 2 Vault Skirges instead of the thopters. It's both enabler and works doubly with the payoff cards. I was very impressed with its performance personally.

ultron87

In the dark I don't even like keeping the Etched Champion hand. It is way too slow against too many decks if you don't have counters on it or Plating to attach to it.

bigkrev

In the dark I don't even like keeping the Etched Champion hand. It is way too slow against too many decks if you don't have counters on it or Plating to attach to it.

It's a case where you have to use everything you can. I always talk to my opponent, and if it comes across to me that they had a quick round- "I've been waiting for pairings forever, I just got back from grabbing food, I was doing trading...", I would mulligan, but if they said something that implied their games were long "My last round was grueling, I won my last round on turn 4 of extra turns. we played a super long game 2", I would probably keep the hand. My most recent build of Affinity (for Eldrazi era) was only running 1 maindeck Champion, the PT T8 lists were running zero champions. I haven't thought about where to take the deck now, but if U/x Control decks/tempo decks exist, I bet Champion becomes better than it was before

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I hope we get a gravecrawler reprint in EDM. It's on theme, looks fair, and is worth a bit.

Gravecrawler and Diregraf Colossus together would be straight up oppressive.

I'm guessing Liliana 5 is what might enable that deck because its not very good right now. There's not enough ways to reanimate stuff.

I tried playing Duels the other day and it moves at a snails pace compared to MTGO. For as clunky and archaic as that client is, actually getting through a game is a pretty quick process if both players know what they're doing.

Ashodin

I tried playing Duels the other day and it moves at a snails pace compared to MTGO. For as clunky and archaic as that client is, actually getting through a game is a pretty quick process if both players know what they're doing.

Actually the update just yesterday increased the play time dramatically. Matches fly by now!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Probably pretty high. Makes me wonder if she's going to eat or replace the actual Heron moon. The idea that the moon and something else "transform" into the two-part Emrakul that's rumored seems inevitable at this point.

Also, the Heron moon seems pretty important for lots of lore reasons on Innistrad (werewolves and silver, for example), I wonder how it would affect things if it were gone and replaced by the titan and how things would change on the plane (return again in several years to find out!).

oh wow the plane is just zendikar now, neat

say NO to eldrazi ruining innistrad

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Origins Liliana?

It's not good in the deck. I tried but you can't reliably flip her. Sure, you can play Nantuko Husk (Husk is a zombie) but they're both three drops: they just kill Lili. It's why Planeswalkers are inherently overpowered: players don't run a lot of ways to interact with them and you always get value if you resolve one.

Ashodin

It's not good in the deck. I tried but you can't reliably flip her. Sure, you can play Nantuko Husk (Husk is a zombie) but they're both three drops: they just kill Lili. It's why Planeswalkers are inherently overpowered: players don't run a lot of ways to interact with them and you always get value if you resolve one.

An exquisite firecraft or two does the job in my experience

Angry Grimace

An exquisite firecraft or two does the job in my experience

The problem is that your opponent already got at least some value out of the Planeswalker becuase you can't interact with it before it does something.

OnPoint

oh wow the plane is just zendikar now, neat

say NO to eldrazi ruining innistrad

Or not? Depends on how they write it actually. Imagine...

This is but one of the three Eldrazi Titans. When the trio acts in concert, their abilities play well off of each other, but singularly, perhaps Emrakul's presence merely warps the plane into a twisted and wretched place, albeit slowly. Without the destructive and land-deadening capabilities of Ulamog or the physics-corrupting Kozilek to aid her, Innistrad is safe from actual, physical destruction, but if something isn't done a horrifying and terrible fate awaits any living thing on the plane.

And this is me barely trying. They have a whole team dedicated to creative. They could totally make it work in away that isn't just Zendikar again.

Ashodin

My theory if you haven't heard it is thus:

Emrakul, Ulamog, and Kozilek were once one being

Then they split into three like amoeba.

Side effect of killing Titans is that they merge back with another Titan. Since we killed Ulamog and Kozilek together, their power shifted to Emrakul, who has grown larger than usual off the energy.

Thus it takes much much longer for Emrakul to get to Innistrad because it is so huge and slow. Which would explain why it is moon sized.

THEORY END #2

Emrakul is ALREADY inside the moon, devouring it from within. Which would make sense why Jace can't see Emrakul in the sky (as he "probed" it as well)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Or not? Depends on how they write it actually. Imagine...

This is but one of the three Eldrazi Titans. When the trio acts in concert, their abilities play well off of each other, but singularly, perhaps Emrakul's presence merely warps the plane into a twisted and wretched place, albeit slowly. Without the destructive and land-deadening capabilities of Ulamog or the physics-corrupting Kozilek to aid her, Innistrad is safe from actual, physical destruction, but if something isn't done a horrifying and terrible fate awaits any living thing on the plane.

And this is me barely trying. They have a whole team dedicated to creative. They could totally make it work in away that isn't just Zendikar again.

i think the best-case scenario is that they turn it into something resembling the flavour of bloodborne

but realistically, i suspect zendikar 2 is more likely.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Well, unless they're planning on never returning to Innistrad again, they can't leave the plane entirely screwed by Emrakul.

I expect Lili will arrive to help Jace, Tamiyo, and Sorin out against Nahiri, or that Nahiri had a 'misunderstanding' and/or was being lead around by the nose by Emrakul's corruption while in her hibernation periods.

But at the same time, I didn't expect them to return to Innistrad so soon, and utterly restart the horror world-state after Avacyn got out, so who knows.

Santiako

i think the best-case scenario is that they turn it into something resembling the flavour of bloodborne

but realistically, i suspect zendikar 2 is more likely.

I don't know why you are so adamant in Innistrad becoming Zendikar 2, they'll just have 1 Eldrazi (Emrakul) and other creatures just twisting further, but that's it.

OnPoint

As much as I hate the Gatewatch thingie, I want a black oath to search for with Zur.
Oath of Sorin (2)(B)
Enchantment
When Oath of Sorin enters the
battlefield, return target creature
from your graveyard to your hand.
At the beginning of your upkeep,
target opponent loses one life and
you gain one life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom