• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takuhi

bounce up to 2 creatures and/or spells + deal 0 to 4 damage in increments of 2 to up to 2 creatures and/or PWs for 4 mana sounds awesome imo. UR goggles when I saw it struggle was for a lack of counters imo, and it's playing a rather tempo game for a control deck.

Except Pyromancer's Goggles only copies red spells and Brutal Expulsion is a non-red colorless spell.

Gotta love devoid.

We should be happy it only copies red spells. Imagine double CoCo.

Imagine if we hadn't had Denegerate format last season, where this could have been a Red Midrange deck's turn 6 with Goggles in play:
Mountain, Go to Combat, swing with cheap person, tap Goggles and cast Howl of the Horde off of Goggles, cast Red Spell(Collateral Damage maybe?)

Get 15 Damage to face in a fetchland format.

Except Pyromancer's Goggles only copies red spells and Brutal Expulsion is a non-red colorless spell.

Gotta love devoid.

Watching the commentators today (who were otherwise pretty spot-on) repeatedly make mistakes about devoid really drove home what a pain in the ass it is.

bigkrev

SCG Modern lists-http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&t%5BC1%5D=28&start_date=04/08/2016&end_date=04/10/2016&start=1&finish=32&city=Baltimore&start_num=0

T8:
2 Scapeshift
2 Infect
Jund
Abzan Company
G/R Aggro
Merfolk

No Ancestral Visions or Thopter/Sword in any T8 maindeck (Scapeshift had it in the SB), but there were 2 Grixis decks and 1 Jeskai deck in the T16 that had Visions, and there was a U/W Tron deck in 14th place that had 1x Sword and Foundry that it could Gifts for (and get back with Academy Ruins). There was a U/W KCI Sword/Foundry deck in 19th place as well.

Can't really take much away as there weren't any major names in this, but I'm happy to see some diversity back, and it doesn't look like Sword broke the format or anything

Takuhi

Watching the commentators today (who were otherwise pretty spot-on) repeatedly make mistakes about devoid really drove home what a pain in the ass it is.

I really agree. I can't think of any other mechanic that has provided so much unnecessary confusion while offering so little gameplay in return. If only there was some way we could rotate out of BFZ block while keeping Origins + Dragons...

Devoid just further confirms to me what a clusterscrew BFZ was. I know it's odd to be excited for a Kill Review, but I'd love to see him rip into Wizards R&D about how terrible BFZ was as a set, a block,etc.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
devoid is a shitty mechanic

It's not even a mechanic outside of like 2 specific circumstances (e.g. Ruins of Oran-Rief and Ghostfire Blade); its a mostly just an obscure rules clusterfuck.

It's not even a mechanic outside of like 2 specific circumstances (e.g. Ruins of Oran-Rief and Ghostfire Blade); its a mostly just an obscure rules clusterfuck.

It works well against Spinx's Tutelage Decks too.

This is a casual Bant Clues Deck ive been working on. I need to get it down to 60 Cards, but i don't know what to cut. and fix my mana probably. Help would be appreciated.

fy4I5PO.png

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
A few things from week 1.

• Thing in Ice is a real card, despite some people calling it garbage. Or is this the deck that pops up week 1 of a new standard and is never seen again? Oh, and it's already putting up some minor results in modern.
  • Avacyn was as good as advertised.
  • CoCo is still a great card.
  • Investigate is at least semi-playable in decks that can run out of steam or often have leftover mana.
  • Declaration in Stone is going to be a 4 of in 90 percent of decks for the foreseeable future.
  • Sorin is standard playable.

It works well against Spinx's Tutelage Decks too.

This is a casual Bant Clues Deck ive been working on. I need to get it down to 60 Cards, but i don't know what to cut. and fix my mana probably. Help would be appreciated.

I'd say 2 expose evils and 2 press for answers. Even in casual play temporary tap effects are feelbads.

A few things from week 1.

• Thing in Ice is a real card, despite some people calling it garbage. Or is this the deck that pops up week 1 of a new standard and is never seen again? Oh, and it's already putting up some minor results in modern.
  • Avacyn was as good as advertised.
  • CoCo is still a great card.
  • Investigate is at least semi-playable in decks that can run out of steam or often have leftover mana.
  • Declaration in Stone is going to be a 4 of in 90 percent of decks for the foreseeable future.
  • Sorin is standard playable.

I'd say 2 expose evils and 2 press for answers. Even in casual play temporary tap effects are feelbads.

I was thinking of replacing those with Declaration in Stone, I mind blanked that card existed(i got a few in my box) until i saw you mention it haha. So if i replaced those 4 with that, what else would you think i should get rid of?

Devoid just further confirms to me what a clusterscrew BFZ was. I know it's odd to be excited for a Kill Review, but I'd love to see him rip into Wizards R&D about how terrible BFZ was as a set, a block,etc.

He's not allowed to review anything else until he stops being a whiny self-parody. If someone's gonna rip R&D effectively for something they really did screw up, that person needs to have some moderate perspective about it when they do something right.

[*]Thing in Ice is a real card, despite some people calling it garbage. Or is this the deck that pops up week 1 of a new standard and is never seen again?

I think the UR surge control might well be that deck, but TITI is still real anyway. :p

[*]Sorin is standard playable.

This isn't really an interesting conclusion to me, it was obvious from moment one that he would be. It's more interesting to me that Nahiri is potentially standard playable.

WanderingWind

I was thinking of replacing those with Declaration in Stone, I mind blanked that card existed(i got a few in my box) until i saw you mention it haha. So if i replaced those 4 with that, what else would you think i should get rid of?

Well, okay, so this is just a for funsie deck that works on Investigate. So, the outliers are Reflector Mage (powerful, but flavor goes against everything else in your deck) and Counterspell (which is the only wildly out of the format card). Also, Tamiyo's Journal is super bad from a flavor and fun mechanic to have 2 of. As it's just a fun deck, those are the best recommendations I can give you on what to take out. Maybe 2 reflector mages, 1 journal and one of the 4 of creatures?

I think the UR surge control might well be that deck, but TITI is still real anyway. :p

This isn't really an interesting conclusion to me, it was obvious from moment one that he would be. It's more interesting to me that Nahiri is potentially standard playable.

I thought Thing in the Ice was a real card when it was revealed. I'm not really quite ready to crow about being right just yet, but it's off to a very, very strong start. Same with Sorin, though its start is less strong. Quite a few people said Sorin was a bad card. I disagreed then and I disagree now. But while it was a solid performer that won a few games, it wasn't the blowout card in week 1 that Thing was.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Standard is going to involve everyone cracking clues for a while.

Messing with Modern Sultai, first draft:

lkbbow.png

I'm no gerard fabiano, but the first time I sided in Ashiok I played my opponent's Sigarda on turn 4 so that's something.

G.ZZZ

Latest legacy T8 was the least blue i've seen in years. Nice to see that people have started adapting a bit to chalice and blood moon being played more, with classic 0 basic decks like shardless playing 2 to decay blood moons and chalices, and decks like punishing abzan running 4 mox diamond to play around both and start the curve at 2. On the other hand, Eldrazi basically disappeared as soon as people started diversifying their curve a bit.

Nic Fit is such a legit deck in this meta. If you miss playing 4 Rhinos, this is definitely the right deck for you.

Time to play destructive flow tbh.

El Topo

Imagine if we hadn't had Denegerate format last season, where this could have been a Red Midrange deck's turn 6 with Goggles in play:
Mountain, Go to Combat, swing with cheap person, tap Goggles and cast Howl of the Horde off of Goggles, cast Red Spell(Collateral Damage maybe?)

Get 15 Damage to face in a fetchland format.

I doubt Goggles would have been a thing even without CoCo. Just too expensive to be worth it.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I was surprised that Todd won with a bunch of Thing in the Ices against an Eldrazi ramp deck. Tristan's mistake was sacrificing all of his Sanctum of Ugins when Ulamog could be bounced to his hand.

Late response to this, but Tristan is actually from my LGS, so I was pretty happy/dumbfounded when I saw him on camera. My first reaction was: this is weird, he's not very good, but awesome!

Then I saw him get wrecked. When I saw him sac his land to get a Worldbreaker I groaned.

OnPoint

I love when week 1 is insane. Things will eventually start to level out, but man, that chaos!

Some things I learned this weekend:
  1. Avacyn is truth. Glad they sent her off with a bang
  2. Thing in the Ice was what we hoped it would be, at least for this week
  3. WB is, at the very least, a powerful shell to build around
  4. Collected Company is still bananas
  5. I don't miss fetchlands

Some things I'm curious about going forward:
  1. Can Thing in the Ice stay relevant as the format shapes?
  2. Is White Weenie as real as it seems?
  3. Is it possible there's no low-to-the-ground Red-based aggro strat?
  4. Is Nahri playable or not?
  5. Will Bant CoCo continue to be as unstoppable as it looked?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I love when week 1 is insane. Things will eventually start to level out, but man, that chaos!

Some things I learned this weekend:
  1. Avacyn is truth. Glad they sent her off with a bang
  2. Thing in the Ice was what we hoped it would be, at least for this week
  3. WB is, at the very least, a powerful shell to build around
  4. Collected Company is still bananas
  5. I don't miss fetchlands

Some things I'm curious about going forward:
  1. Can Thing in the Ice stay relevant as the format shapes?
  2. Is White Weenie as real as it seems?
  3. Is it possible there's no low-to-the-ground Red-based aggro strat?
  4. Is Nahri playable or not?
  5. Will Bant CoCo continue to be as unstoppable as it looked?

I feel like white weenie should get crushed by any black-based creature based midrange deck with a bunch of removal. Basically plays creatures that don't die to languish and card advantage. Basically an excuse to post my decklist again: http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/182666

I think Bant Coco is the truth though. Reflector mage, negate, Jace, and declaration in stone are just too powerful a combination for most decks to push through.

WanderingWind

Languish has been the big boogieman of every deck since its printing. It's done some work, but man, if it actually hosed the decks it supposedly hoses, nobody would play anything besides Esper shells.

....watch next big tourney be all Languish.dec

If white wheenie is a deck shouldn't Kolaghans Command be pretty decent? Even if they quickly get out of X/2 range you should always get a 1 for 1 at the worst out of it. It can also be GDD'd and get GDD out of the yard for extra value.

Would Sorin be a thing w/o Languish?

Man why isn't my Beta working even though I got an invite.

OnPoint

Really want to build a Thing in the Ice + Vampire Hexmage deck in Modern. Using something like Kolghan's Command with those two seems sweet... so I guess it would be Grixis colored but I have no idea where to start.

WanderingWind

Really want to build a Thing in the Ice + Vampire Hexmage deck in Modern. Using something like Kolghan's Command with those two seems sweet... so I guess it would be Grixis colored but I have no idea where to start.

Wait. ...that totally fucking works. What the what. I mean, I know that Hexmage does it thing, but this is a combo that totally works in color. Throw in some blue counters, some black removal/disruption and splash red for bolt...

Uh. Fuck to the yes. You're my new favorite brewer, get rekt GB

OnPoint

Wait. ...that totally fucking works. What the what. I mean, I know that Hexmage does it thing, but this is a combo that totally works in color. Throw in some blue counters, some black removal/disruption and splash red for bolt...

Uh. Fuck to the yes. You're my new favorite brewer, get rekt GB

This is what I've cobbled together as a base list right now, don't know about numbers yet, but going over existing Grixis shells, it looks like a safe bet to start messing around with at least.

Thing in the Ice Grixis suggestions
  • Spell Pierce
  • Mana Leak
  • Remand
  • Serum Visions
  • Electrolyze
  • Izzet Charm
  • Lightning Bolt
  • Kolaghan's Command
  • Terminate
  • Inquisition of Kozilek
  • Dismember
  • Vampire Hexmage
  • Thing in the Ice
  • Snapcaster Mage

Bandini

LotV seems like a great include... Snapcaster would probably fill out your creatures. Could even try splashing white instead of red for Path, Ojutai's Command, and Celestial Colonnade. I play control in Modern and I've been getting crushed lately, with the new bans and TitI I might just have a new lease on life

Supast4r

Even though hat combo works you still have to cast another instant or sorcery to get thing to flip so the combo isn't that great.

Enter the Battlefield documentary announced, about life on the Pro Tour. It's coming to YouTube and Netflix on April 26, with a Twitch stream the day before.

Random thought, would this be good in this format?

Drastic Lavamancer - R
Creature - Human Shaman
R, Tap, Discard a card: Draw a card.
Delirium -- R, Tap, Exile two cards from your graveyard: Deal 2 damage to target creature or player. Activate this ability only if you have four or more cards types among cards in your graveyard.
1/1

Or this

Emboldened Pillager - RR
Creature -- Human Shaman
Tap, Discard a card: Draw a card.
Delirium - Whenever you discard one or more cards, if there are four or more cards types among cards in your graveyard, deal 1 damage to target creature or player.
2/1

OnPoint

Even though hat combo works you still have to cast another instant or sorcery to get thing to flip so the combo isn't that great.

I feel like if you're playing a Grixis Control type of game, you probably want to control when it flips anyway, so an unflipped Thing chilling on the battlefield with no counters you can activate at instant speed with something like Lightning Bolt and clear the board while returning your Snapcasters to your hand sounds pretty sweet, at least in theory.

Random thought, would this be good in this format?

Drastic Lavamancer - R
Creature - Human Shaman
R, Tap, Discard a card: Draw a card.
Delirium -- R, Tap, Exile two cards from your graveyard: Deal 2 damage to target creature or player. Activate this ability only if you have four or more cards types among cards in your graveyard.

Literally unplayable
because you forgot to give it power/toughness.

Supast4r

I feel like if you're playing a Grixis Control type of game, you probably want to control when it flips anyway, so an unflipped Thing chilling on the battlefield with no counters you can activate at instant speed with something like Lightning Bolt and clear the board while returning your Snapcasters to your hand sounds pretty sweet, at least in theory.
You are spending a creature (hexmage) and you aren't getting a flip out of it. That doesn't sound impressive at all since modern is a fast format (the fastest of all the format on turns avg) I also don't see a need to do this when grixis has tons of low drop instants or sorceries that get you there and protect thing in the ice.

OnPoint

You are spending a creature (hexmage) and you aren't getting a flip out of it. That doesn't sound impressive at all since modern is a fast format (the fastest of all the format on turns avg) I also don't see a need to do this when grixis has tons of low drop instants or sorceries that get you there and protect thing in the ice.

I'll say that there's a good chance you're right and the Hexmage has no need to be there. But it's still something I wanna try. There's benefits to both approaches.

My thinking: Spending a Hexmage to remove one counter is no different than spending a spell to do it in terms of cost/card advantage, so that aspect doesn't bother me. The upside of it removing 2-4 counters is great. The plan isn't to flip Thing and win on turn 4. If you're playing Grixis you're already slowing the game down and playing a little lengthier already.

kirblar

The PT outsider fanboying over a tournament series that hasn't bothered to actively expand/increase prizes and such in nearly a decade is really annoying. (especially since it's a part time job.)

Angry Grimace

I can only imagine Ulrich's card is going to let you moonmist on command because what else is a legendary werewolf good for?

WanderingWind

Grixis Thing
24 lands

4 x Thing in the Ice
3 x Vampire Hexmage
4 x Snapcaster Mage

4 x Inquisition of Kozilek
4 x Lightning Bolt
4 x Serum Visions
3 x Kolaghan's Command
4 x Remand
3 x Terminate
2 x Dismember
1 x Negate

Hmmm. I really want Young Pyromancer in there somehow. Maybe Hexmage is too cute after all. I mean...cutting Snapcaster is just crazy, right? Super crazy. Nah.

I can only imagine Ulrich's card is going to let you moonmist on command because what else is a legendary werewolf good for?

Ulrich the Unchanging - 1RG
Legendary Creature - Werewolf
Trample, menace
Whenever a Werewolf you control becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, Ulrich the Unchanging deals 3 damage to that player.
RG: Transform target Human.
2RG: Put Ulrich from your hand onto the battlefield.
4/4

WanderingWind

So that deck just doesn't win if your opponent kills your Thing, which I guess is true for a lot of control decks, but it feels more pronounced. Solution: more counters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom