• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, someone cast Tragic Arrogance, but Dwayne still has two Always Watchings out.

EDIT: Or was that card not cast earlier when they were talking about it?

OnPoint

Glad I picked up 2x Avacyn for 25 a piece when I did. I have a feeling she's going to stay around this price or increase.

Arlinn Kord is bad.

I hope you all bought your $2 Declarations when I told you to.

Is she actually bad? Like, should I sell the one I cracked?

kirblar

Yes. She's worse than both Huntmaster and Garruk. She just doesn't do anything when she ETBs.

Might be a thing after EDM, with more wolfy support, but for now, ship her.

I've missed most of the coverage this weekend. I've got the crazy match with the insane ending saved, but are there any other particularly cool matches I should go back to? Did that Goggles deck play on stream?

I've missed most of the coverage this weekend. I've got the crazy match with the insane ending saved, but are there any other particularly cool matches I should go back to? Did that Goggles deck play on stream?

Yes, it did yesterday. It was able to copy Fall of the Titans, Tormenting Voice, and Magmatic Insight in that match.

kirblar

This format's kinda crazy.

The gigantic bump in complexity of cards from KTK/DTK/Origins to BFZ/SOI is on display. Actually, probably the last X years of sets in general.

Oh man that WB Eldrazi player ripped bombs nonstop, the top of his deck was like Tragic Arrogance, Avacyn, Avacyn, DiS.

Don't understand why the Human player didn't attack with the angel. It would have forced his opponent to either chump block, sac the flipped avacyn and flip Avacyn to which he could make his Kytheon indestructible and it'd get rid of Ayli.

I was surprised that Todd won with a bunch of Thing in the Ices against an Eldrazi ramp deck. Tristan's mistake was sacrificing all of his Sanctum of Ugins when Ulamog could be bounced to his hand.

"Thing In the Ice-s" >_<

This deck is great.

I'm blown away by how good Investigator is. Same with the Gossipmongers. They both play much, much stronger than they read.

Does Investigate turn out to be really good? I've been wondering if the mana sink aspect was going to turn out to be better in constructed than it seemed at first glance.

This format's kinda crazy.

The gigantic bump in complexity of cards from KTK/DTK/Origins to BFZ/SOI is on display. Actually, probably the last X years of sets in general.

IMO one of the ways SOI is actually a pretty close followup to ISD is that on an overall level it's not doing anything particularly complicated -- the mechanics are all easy to understand and pretty straightforward, and there's no weird gimmicks on cards a la devoid -- but there's a lot of individual cards that have complex board interactions or are heavy on decision points. (Investigate is about as decision-pointy as mechanics get.)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Attacking into anything against a white deck is a gamble now with Avacyn.

Hidden Dragonslayer can kill TiTi before it gets bounced right?

Why didn't he leave mana open to replay the krasis after it eventually getting bounced?

Bant player seemed to play a little loose, think he could have put up more of a fight.

Thing in Ice, huh.

I think the combination of four-color-tirefire standard and eldrazi-shitshow modern left people making inaccurate judgments of power level on some stuff in a more normal Standard environment. Thing's still a low-mana early investment and flipping it is a massive tempo blowout that leaves you with an Eldrazi-eating monstrosity, and I think people just second-guessed it because they assumed it would be too hard to cast spells.

In retrospect red's filter-cantrips clearly were a good way to go with it. It's cool how it's basically just leveraging the whole Oath Surge shell to make it happen, but the Goggles are really just an absurd piece of tech.

I basically just love this deck. I don't want to spend the money, or have the time or temperament, to actually play Standard, but if I did, this is the kind of deck I'd want to play.

Haines

Banned
Is there any limited at that tourney on stream

Got second in my pod last night. I tied a few games that I could have won but i felt like like playing for fun.

The set is so good in draft that accessibility of magic online scares me but I can always just watch draft vids to save from blowing my cash on it.

Plus hearthstone standard starts in a couple weeks. Free standard best standard.

Santiako

Is there any limited at that tourney on stream

Got second in my pod last night. I tied a few games that I could have won but i felt like like playing for fun.

The set is so good in draft that accessibility of magic online scares me but I can always just watch draft vids to save from blowing my cash on it.

Plus hearthstone standard starts in a couple weeks. Free standard best standard.

No, just standard.

How many lands is Todd running?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200630982]This Assault formation + Goldnight Castigator combo is pretty comical.[/QUOTE]

No, I missed this! Please tell me it won so I could see it later.

Santiako

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200630982]This Assault formation + Goldnight Castigator combo is pretty comical.[/QUOTE]

Just realised Goldnight Castigator is black, have there been any black angels before (black as in race, not magic color)?

c4rd4r7_4PtlrfJixC.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Angel tokens from Gatecrash and Oath of the Gatewatch:

Larger image:

You know I have to wonder how the meetings about the name "Gatewatch" went. I would understand if it was a particularly great name, but I don't think it is and surely confusion with Gatecrash game up as a concern

Santiako

You know I have to wonder how the meetings about the name "Gatewatch" went. I would understand if it was a particularly great name, but I don't think it is and surely confusion with Gatecrash game up as a concern

They were going to be "Guardians of the Multiverse" and Nissa was going to have Ashaya at her side at all times, but Disney threatened to sue.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

It's weird to me, too. There had to have been a better alternative. Besides branding confusion, Gatewatch is a weird name because I think most MTG players associated the word "gate" with the Guild Gates on Ravnica, not Sea Gate on Zendikar.

Santiako

Starcity's top 4:

W-B Eldrazi
Bant Company

U/R Goggles Control
Mono-White Humans

I really hope the Pyromancer's Goggles deck wins, that deck is some sweet-ass jank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom