• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This UR deck has all the trappings of "deck that does well week 1 because nobody knows what it is."

Santiako

bounce up to 2 creatures and/or spells + deal 0 to 4 damage in increments of 2 to up to 2 creatures and/or PWs for 4 mana sounds awesome imo. UR goggles when I saw it struggle was for a lack of counters imo, and it's playing a rather tempo game for a control deck.

The card is only decent if you have the goggles out, and if you do I think you'd be rather copying draw spells or fireballs. I really can't see a spot for it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I never tried a monowhite version but the UW version seemed a little more resilient for sideboard games.

You know I have to wonder how the meetings about the name "Gatewatch" went. I would understand if it was a particularly great name, but I don't think it is and surely confusion with Gatecrash game up as a concern

I wish I could find that leaked pre-release blurb that had a different, unused name for the Gatewatch in it.

The UR deck is sweet, but it has so many do-nothings in it - I can't see it being a "real" deck in the format.

There's not really that much in the deck that does nothing in a vacuum (worst case is the card rummaging spells, which aren't great), I think the problem is it's just too dependent on one card. There's just a billion ways to hate out the Goggles.

bigkrev

Guy is at 4 lands and has at least 3 Avacyn's in his hand, his opponent has a Reflector Mage in hand.

I don't think I can watch this massacre

Angry Grimace

Are any of the humans players using Eerie Interlude? I've been using it as a board-wipe/Declaration counter, sometimes after blocks and its the most hilarious "randomly win" card.

I still think MonoWhite isn't the best one, even though I ran it last season. Going either UW or GW makes the deck way more resilient to issues, be it Sigarda as a 2of at the top or Reflector Mage.

I wish I could find that leaked pre-release blurb that had a different, unused name for the Gatewatch in it.

Wasn't that leaked name "The Vanguard"? That name sounded so generic

I'm testing this for RW Equipment now. My thinking is that Neglected Heirloom and Captain's Claws are the two best cheap equipment right now, so the deck is built around utilizing them.

5qUj3xJ.png

Angry Grimace

The problem isn't Reflector Mage, its that Collected Company is an overpowered Magic card.

Garfield makes it happen! Coco -> 2x Reflector Mage, whoof.

Wasn't that leaked name "The Vanguard"? That name sounded so generic

Oh. God, yeah, the Gatewatch is way better than that.

holy crap that Game 2 was just straight up murder for Jim Davis.

While they were sideboarding after game one I got up to put away, like, ten shirts from the laundry I was folding, and when I got back game two was already over.

Is Thing in the Ice real then?

Yep.

Joe Molotov

what are you talking about, obviously paying four mana to get six mana, draw two cards, and give your creatures flash is totally reasonable

But guys, WOTC didn't think it was going to be a playable card. Quit trying to play with cards that you were never supposed to play with.

Ashodin

I run it in the side.

I also run it in the side.

I'm testing this for RW Equipment now. My thinking is that Neglected Heirloom and Captain's Claws are the two best cheap equipment right now, so the deck is built around utilizing them.

5qUj3xJ.png

I attempted this, but feel like the transform creatures and such want you to go full white instead of RW. Look at your list now, almost all the creatures are white, except Weapons Trainer, and you only have 2 sorceries in the main deck, which Roast is much slower than Lightning Axe/Fiery Temper combo.

My build is built more toward clearing the way for your equipped creatures to attack. I feel like Avacynian Missionaries is too slow to make it flip (typically, it will cost 4W on turn five for a 4/4 that stasis snares, which is meh). Neglected Heirloom has promise, but I think I need to see more Eldritch Moon before I can say right now that it's playable. Spidersilk Net allows you avoid Languish when Stone Haven Outfitter is out (dudes become 4/5s and such).

In card acquisition news: I got 2x Always Watching 2x Anguished Unmaking and 3x DiS from the local card shop 30 minutes away (they have better stock than the ones nearby). So I'm fucking solid on removal for the format now.

Yeef

Random thought of the day. I'd love to see them rotate between the gold uncommon build-arounds, the off-color activation uncommon build-arounds and hybrid cost uncommon build-arounds. Only getting hybrid cards during multicolor blocks is kind of annoying.

Hahahaha what? I need to see this on stream. Crazy that you'd go with this deck and not have Stormchaser, but I've never see this deck coming at all. And if one of you tries to be like "Oh, nah, I totally saw Pyromancer's Goggles and Magmatic Insight.dec" you're a liar pants.
The goggles deck was bit of a thing during Origins standard. It was never amazing, but it always looked fun. It got pushed out during 4-color goodstuff era, but I'm glad to see it's back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOE7pdLhNNY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom