• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

So that deck just doesn't win if your opponent kills your Thing, which I guess is true for a lot of control decks, but it feels more pronounced. Solution: more counters.

That's what Kolaghan's Command is for, really, to rebuy your threats. I mean, if they get like Surgical Extraction'd you're in deep shit.

You could always side out of Thing/Hexmage into a Pyromancer/Delver build, too. I hadn't considered that before.

Haines

Banned
Is there info up on the magic online release this weekend? I have an account but haven't played it a draft on it yet. This set is so good I'm tempted to play unless it's only sealed this weekend ( I don't feel this set plays as nice in sealed)

I was going to scratch my itch on duels but that client is a pos

Bonethug

Is there info up on the magic online release this weekend? I have an account but haven't played it a draft on it yet. This set is so good I'm tempted to play unless it's only sealed this weekend ( I don't feel this set plays as nice in sealed)

I was going to scratch my itch on duels but that client is a pos

Official Announcement
Sealed Leagues and Swiss draft this weekend. No options for entry using product; only tickets or play points.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
So that deck just doesn't win if your opponent kills your Thing, which I guess is true for a lot of control decks, but it feels more pronounced. Solution: more counters.

Yeah, I know we're talking modern, but weirdly enough when I played against that deck in standard, languish, ultimate price, grasp of darkness, were all live against a "control" deck, which is pretty wild. Killing one of those felt like a huge deal, languishing 2 of them was basically almost guaranteeing yourself victory.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That's what Kolaghan's Command is for, really, to rebuy your threats. I mean, if they get like Surgical Extraction'd you're in deep shit.

You could always side out of Thing/Hexmage into a Pyromancer/Delver build, too. I hadn't considered that before.

One thing worries me: Affinity. We're going to need artifact hate and without stony silence or green for ancient grudge flashback...we got what, half a grudge and shatterstorm? Hm. We're just going to have to 'trice this one.

Yeah, I know we're talking modern, but weirdly enough when I played against that deck in standard, languish, ultimate price, grasp of darkness, were all live against a "control" deck, which is pretty wild. Killing one of those felt like a huge deal, languishing 2 of them was basically almost guaranteeing yourself victory.

Yeah, standard is super light on good counters again. I think. I may be missing someting. Scorn, uh, Not Dissipate and go fuck yourself, right?

OnPoint

One thing worries me: Affinity. We're going to need artifact hate and without stony silence or green for ancient grudge flashback...we got what, half a grudge and shatterstorm? Hm. We're just going to have to 'trice this one.

Kolaghan's Command is there for G1 but we likely lose that if they get a fast start. Hurkyl's Recall in the board could help a lot and is probably the best option in a short game. Shatterstorm or Vandalblast are options though definitely slow, but this deck seems to want to play a slower game.

WanderingWind

I'd probably pick Recall over the other two. It's not about the slow game we want to play, it's about the fast game they're absolutely going to play. I'm updating the card database on Cockatrice right now. I really want to test this out. I feel like maybe there is something here.

OnPoint

I'd probably pick Recall over the other two. It's not about the slow game we want to play, it's about the fast game they're absolutely going to play. I'm updating the card database on Cockatrice right now. I really want to test this out. I feel like maybe there is something here.

Lemme know how it goes! I'm super curious about how it plays

WanderingWind

Whadda mean? You're playing against me foo! Well, more accurately, nobody is playing because the servers aren't working. :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ulrich the Unchanging - 1RG
Legendary Creature - Werewolf
Trample, menace
Whenever a Werewolf you control becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, Ulrich the Unchanging deals 3 damage to that player.
RG: Transform target Human.
2RG: Put Ulrich from your hand onto the battlefield.
4/4

The part that's funny to me is that they wouldn't need any of this if they had just named Huntmaster of the Fells "Ulrich, Krallenhorde Alpha // Ulrich, Ravager of the Fells." But they had some weird problem with Legendary flips (that they got rid of in SOI when they realized that's fucking stupid."

The part that's funny to me is that they wouldn't need any of this if they had just named Huntmaster of the Fells "Ulrich, Krallenhorde Alpha // Ulrich, Ravager of the Fells." But they had some weird problem with Legendary flips (that they got rid of in SOI when they realized that's fucking stupid."

They already had a legendary equipment flipping into a legendary creature in dark ascension.

Huntmaster is just so much better in multiples, kinda glad it isn't legendary. Don't think they'll give the werewolf legend an ability that does nothing in EDH. Tazri was clearly built for EDH after all.

ajf009

Thing/Hunted Horror/Torpor Orb deck, throw in counters like stubborn denial and Obliterators and you've got yourself a funtime

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They already had a legendary equipment flipping into a legendary creature in dark ascension.

Huntmaster is just so much better in multiples, kinda glad it isn't legendary. Don't think they'll give the werewolf legend an ability that does nothing in EDH. Tazri was clearly built for EDH after all.

Ulrich, Krallenhorde Alpha 2GR
Trample, Menace
Whenever a Werewolf enters the battlefield under your control, you may transform it. Non-human Werewolves you control can't transform.
5/4

bigkrev

Stuff from the website:

-There was a legendary R/G Werewolf in the set, but it competed with Arlinn so it was taken out.
-There are no dual face reprints, because they don't get to do them very often and didn't want to waste slots on returning cards
-Jace is not the protagonist of the next block

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stuff from the website:

-There was a legendary R/G Werewolf in the set, but it competed with Arlinn so it was taken out.
-There are no dual face reprints, because they don't get to do them very often and didn't want to waste slots on returning cards
-Jace is not the protagonist of the next block

Can that be the case for all blocks going forward?

bigkrev

Can that be the case for all blocks going forward?

He argues that Jace was only the protagonist in Return to Ravnica and Shadows over Innestrad, which while that might be true from a storyline prospective, the absolute power of Jace, The Mind Sculptur and Jace, Vryn's Prodigy kind of made him the face of Magic for a lot of other sets as well.

OnPoint

He argues that Jace was only the protagonist in Return to Ravnica and Shadows over Innestrad, which while that might be true from a storyline prospective, the absolute power of Jace, The Mind Sculptur and Jace, Vryn's Prodigy kind of made him the face of Magic for a lot of other sets as well.

It's funny because it never felt like there was a cohesive story at all in RtR to me. The only part I can even remember is there was a Dragon's Maze that Jace solved to become the Living Guildpact.

ultron87

The store I drafted at on Saturday afternoon wanted our 8 person pod (where two of the people were store employees who dropped immediately) to cut to top 4 after 3 Swiss rounds and then to play two more rounds before awarding ranked prizes to 1st through 4th. Apparently everyone always splits top 4 prizes (which ends up as 4 packs each) because playing 5 rounds with a single draft deck is dumb. It was weird.

I think it might be because they sometimes have more than one pod and mix everyone together for Swiss (which is also dumb) and thus didn't change it because there weren't many people? I dunno.

My deck was nuts because I was the actual only blue drafter. Clues are fun. The other undefeated Round 3 was running a somewhat consistent version of the Pyre Hound -> combat trick -> double strike spell to kill you out of nowhere combo. Seemed quite nasty.

This is why it's so dumb that people whine about Jace the character (who really seriously barely shows up most of the time) instead of Jace the card (where he's gotten a ton of different versions printed and almost all of them are really-good-to-too-good.)

(and put into the next set)

It's funny because it never felt like there was a cohesive story at all in RtR to me. The only part I can even remember is there was a Dragon's Maze that Jace solved to become the Living Guildpact.

Yet that's the one that got an e-book while Innistrad got nothing.

What I remember of the things I read about it (since I myself didn't actually read it):
* Niv-Mizzet somehow got everyone to hold Wacky Races, complete with a starting line, instead of everyone trying to solve the maze secretly.
* Emmara is depicted with Voice of Resurgence's power.
* Emmara and Jace fall in rabu. (Later stories reveal Jace erased her memory of him afterward).
* Melek is killed by Ral Zarek before it can actually do anything.
* All of the guild's maze runners arrive at the end around the same time, which causes a trap to trigger, casting Supreme Verdict unless everyone can work together. Lazav's master plan literally is to just shapeshift into people and start arguments, until everyone is arguing with each other and unable to do anything. Jace uses his mind powers to get everyone to understand each other, thus stopping the Supreme Verdict and turning him into Princess of Ravnica.

OnPoint

What I remember of the things I read about it (since I myself didn't actually read it):
* Niv-Mizzet somehow got everyone to hold Wacky Races, complete with a starting line, instead of everyone trying to solve the maze secretly.
* Emmara and Jace fall in rabu. (Later stories reveal Jace erased her memory of him afterward).
* All of the guild's maze runners arrive at the end around the same time, which causes a trap to trigger, casting Supreme Verdict unless everyone can work together. Lazav's master plan literally is to just shapeshift into people and start arguments, until everyone is arguing with each other and unable to do anything. Jace uses his mind powers to get everyone to understand each other, thus stopping the Supreme Verdict and turning him into Princess of Ravnica.

So basically they picked the shitty and uninteresting story to put into a book, acted butthurt that it didn't sell, then cancelled the books altogether?

Also flavor fail on countering Supreme Verdict.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Sounds about right

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Kolaghan's Command is there for G1 but we likely lose that if they get a fast start. Hurkyl's Recall in the board could help a lot and is probably the best option in a short game. Shatterstorm or Vandalblast are options though definitely slow, but this deck seems to want to play a slower game.

As an affinity player, Hurkyll's Recall is the worst card ever.

Fuck that card.

Wait. ...that totally fucking works. What the what. I mean, I know that Hexmage does it thing, but this is a combo that totally works in color. Throw in some blue counters, some black removal/disruption and splash red for bolt...

Uh. Fuck to the yes. You're my new favorite brewer, get rekt GB

something something thrull parasite uhh

bigkrev

Hope this guy holds a press conference where he publicly rips Worth's spine out Mortal Kombat style, and says shitty digital won't be tollerated

G.ZZZ

Reprint everything, unban everything from modern, make MTGO model freemium like hearthstone, give me a job while u're at it.

One problem you'll come across is that most of the good Eldrazi cards are still pretty expensive, including cards like Eldrazi Temple. Of the legendary cards, only Kozilek, the Great Distortion is less than $10 each. However, you can easily get other uncommon and rare huge Eldrazi for much cheaper.

Bah, so much for a cheap Eldrazi deck. Although I really just want It That Betrays, because the idea of beating my friends with their own monsters is so satisfying.

The traditional casting big stuff (Eldrazi or otherwise) deck is Green since that has the various mana ramp creatures (Elvish Mystic, Llanowar Elves, etc) and mana ramp spells (Rampant Growth, Explore, etc). That can also get you some good Eldrazi themed ramp like Awakening Zone and From Beyond which pump out a nice stream of scions. Then you just grab the big Eldrazi or other expensive creatures you want.

If you want to go full colorless you'll want Eldrazi Temple and probably various mana producing artifacts.

I hear nothing but good things about Green and ramping. I didn't know cards like Awakening Zone existed, though. That sounds wonderful. I'll definitely take that into consideration, thanks! :D

I had this tab open for 3 days, but I've been too busy to post a reply, thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom