• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
sultai is working out too manawise but if i wanted to play nissa bant is probably a better option, losing painful truths hurts much less when you get tireless tracker in return.

To the slaughter is an amazing card, even in esper dragons i'd play it over foul tongue invocation.

Jund Monsters

lezz6m.png

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So glad it's a dying breed of player (at least compared to way way back when).

I still haven't forgiven a friend for playing a Stasis deck way back in the day. I don't even think the deck had a win condition other than "deck your opponent one card at a time."

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200838946]Getting ready for next weekend

lnxzy8.png
[/QUOTE]

CFB's secret tech is gonna be Nahiri (fingers crossed!).

bigkrev

lnxzy8.png
[/QUOTE]

Get rid of DQ over Fist Fight, and the middle across is basically a lock to win
Vampires making top 8 is the only one on the bottom row across that isn't going to happen

lupin23rd

I still haven't forgiven a friend for playing a Stasis deck way back in the day. I don't even think the deck had a win condition other than "deck your opponent one card at a time."

I actually just bought 4 Stasis to play around with the other day... lol ;)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

lnxzy8.png
[/QUOTE]
You picked way too many incredibly unlikely events lol

I was thinking of making a Bant control list splashing black for a singleton of gitrog and sorin each.
Green having access to traverse the ulvenvald and a singleton ulvenwald hydra might make this possible.

My sultai list was decent but with 8 total cipt lands, always, much slower than I wanted it to be

Magic Story - Promises Old and New
* Sorin has already seen Declaration in Stone, so he goes to Olivia Voldaren's house to ask for her help.
* Flashback. Nahiri confronts Sorin about how was supposed to get a signal when the Eldrazi started to break free a thousand or so years ago (thousands of years after the initial sealing). It turns out his creation of Avacyn and the Helvault interfered with it and he didn't sense it.
* Sorin was the one who originally found Nahiri after her spark ignited and trained her.
* Sorin was still tired from creating Avaycn and the Helvault when Nahiri started threatening him to come with her, and thus couldn't fight back.
* Avacyn comes out of nowhere and attacks Nahiri. Nahiri starts to get the upper hand in their fight, so Sorin steps in and disarms Nahiri. He's doing this because it took a lot of effort to make Avacyn, not because he loves her, you baka. The flashback ends before we see what happened to Nahiri.
* Olivia agrees to help, if Sorin will help her first.

Not too interesting, really.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The story feels....weird.

Nahiri turned accusatory quite quickly, and Sorin alternated seemingly randomly between 'elderly mentor' and 'gives-no-fucks, don't-tell-me-what-to-do' vampire.

Also...why didn't he just agree to go over and check on the Eldrazi with Nahiri? Either in the 'now', or after he had recovered?

Especially if the Eldrazi were a big enough threat that he'd previously agreed to come to Nahiri's aid, and she just stated that they had already gotten free once...

Feels like a pretty reaching scenario/retcon to explain Nahiri's 'anger' as not being totally Capital-E evil.

The story feels....weird.

Nahiri turned accusatory quite quickly, and Sorin alternated seemingly randomly between 'elderly mentor' and 'gives-no-fucks, don't-tell-me-what-to-do' vampire.

Also...why didn't he just agree to go over and check on the Eldrazi with Nahiri? Either in the 'now', or after he had recovered?

Especially if the Eldrazi were a big enough threat that he'd previously agreed to come to Nahiri's aid, and she just stated that they had already gotten free once...

Feels like a pretty reaching scenario/retcon to explain Nahiri's 'anger' as not being totally Capital-E evil.

They seem to be going for Sorin thinking, "Jesus! Fine! I'll get to it, just give me a couple centuries. No, I don't want to go now, and fuck you for asking!" And because planeswalkers are assholes, he proceeded to imprison her or something.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
apparently Nahiri is a fucking delusional psychopath because she goes ridiculously quickly from "hey wazzup Sorin" to "FUCK YOU SORIN IMMA KILL YOU"

jph139

I guess the implication is that sleeping with the Eldrazi for millennia fucked her up a bit? She definitely seems unhinged and the last time she was in a story she seemed kinda out of it.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200874572]Why does Sorin whip his sword around if he can blow people up with his mind anyway?[/QUOTE]
You're thinking of Jace

Metroidvania

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200874572]Why does Sorin whip his sword around if he can blow people up with his mind anyway?[/QUOTE]

Valmanway - SOTN reference :p

Anywho.....

apparently Nahiri is a fucking delusional psychopath because she goes ridiculously quickly from "hey wazzup Sorin" to "FUCK YOU SORIN IMMA KILL YOU"

It should be no surprise that this is written by a guy.

I feel like this is just poor writing, yes, but...

I guess the implication is that sleeping with the Eldrazi for millennia fucked her up a bit? She definitely seems unhinged and the last time she was in a story she seemed kinda out of it.

I imagine this will be the 'actual' answer, especially with how many hints they're dropping about Emrakul's corruption ability already hitting the natives in a 'short' time period.

I liked the idea of you fucked up my world let me fuck up yours much more appealing. Has a real boros feel to it. Scorched earth approach in addition. Her luring Emrakul there of her own volition would be more interesting than her just being a tool of Emrakul.

OnPoint

Nahiri possibly being tainted by the madness Emrakul causes is good. It gives what's currently going on a frame of reference from the past.

Her bringing Emrakul to Innistrad on purpose is probably the interesting path from a character development standpoint, but would render her pretty unsympathetic when her and Sorin eventually kiss and make up. She's already putting a ton of effort into the whole mass-vampire-murder and twisting Markov Manor angle, both of which will be hard to make up for. Bringing an existence-eating horror in to finish the job doesn't seem like her MO.

I have a feeling that whatever she is doing, Emrakul being there will be accidentally her fault rather than purposefully.

Adaren

I'm still new to the MTG universe, but I really dislike Sorin. He's overpowered, super boring, and steals the spotlight from better characters (which is pretty much everyone else). I understand all of the criticisms of Jace, but at least he's relatively weak / out-of-the-Innistrad-loop and thus makes a good viewpoint character.

Here's to hoping that Sorin dies nobly in EDM and gives Nahiri something personal to atone for.

Or, if Nahiri stays evil, it'll give her something to gloat over.

Sorin's personality sucks. He's always annoyed or doesn't say anything. For an ancient vampire mage you'd think he'd be more assertive or mysterious like Ugin.

Instead he always acts like his mom just asked him to do the dishes.

Nahiri possibly being tainted by the madness Emrakul causes is good. It gives what's currently going on a frame of reference from the past.

That'd just be cheesy. Ob Nixilis is already the bad for evil's worth. Liliana is the baddie that does it because it's cool to be edgy. Bolas is evil because he's above it all. Nahiri should be a baddie that's fucking pissed, RW style, restore balance by trashing that guys place.

OnPoint

That'd just be cheesy. Ob Nixilis is already the bad for evil's worth. Liliana is the baddie that does it because it's cool to be edgy. Bolas is evil because he's above it all. Nahiri should be a baddie that's fucking pissed, RW style, restore balance by trashing that guys place.

Even as a villain, she can't be pissed forever. It would be a fairly one-note motivation and would quickly become stale. I believe they intend to use Nahiri as a temporary villain. It's possible that once all of this is settled she will join the Gatewatch, seeking redemption for her actions.

Metroidvania

Going off of Nahiri's 'abandonment issues', she's righteosly pissed, not necessarily evil.

Innistrad isn't her plane, and hers was devastated (and thats not even including the more personal issue of what happened after the recent story cuts off with her in Sorin's custody). Eye for an eye. That being said, it does feel somewhat....less than benevolent, for no real clear purpose other than to fuck someone else's shit up because yours got wrecked.

I am curious to see if her invocation of Emrakul transferrance is purposeful insofar as its her design, or if its Emrakul branching out on her own.

Depends on if she may have been sequestered away in the helvault or not, one supposes.

Going off of Nahiri's 'abandonment issues', she's righteosly pissed, not necessarily evil.

Innistrad isn't her plane, and hers was devastated (and thats not even including the more personal issue of what happened after the recent story cuts off with her in Sorin's custody). Eye for an eye. That being said, it does feel somewhat....less than benevolent, for no real clear purpose other than to fuck someone else's shit up because yours got wrecked.

I am curious to see if her invocation of Emrakul transferrance is purposeful insofar as its her design, or if its Emrakul branching out on her own.

Depends on if she may have been sequestered away in the helvault or not, one supposes.

The problem isn't her motivation, it's that her position shifts suddenly. At first she's buddy buddy with Sorin but about two words in she goes all fire and brimstone.

It's just very nebulous what's going on with Nahiri. If the point was to make her unstable, that wasn't illustrated well in itself. It feels more contrived than anything.

Even as a villain, she can't be pissed forever. It would be a fairly one-note motivation and would quickly become stale. I believe they intend to use Nahiri as a temporary villain. It's possible that once all of this is settled she will join the Gatewatch, seeking redemption for her actions.

A villain doesn't have to necessarily be evil. Nahiri could be doing it to deal with Emrakul in her own way and doing it on innistrad because she wants to get back at Sorin. That'd fit all the criteria even of a momentary villain. If she joins the gatewatch and gets all remorseful that'd be the worst.

Everything should go her way and she just storms off in the end. Otherwise it's hard for her to remain boros.

Bandini

I don't care about how Sorin acts in the official fan fiction. His cards are always sweet so as long as that's the case, I'm happy to see him being printed.

Firemind

I don't care about how Sorin acts in the official fan fiction. His cards are always sweet so as long as that's the case, I'm happy to see him being printed.
I still think original Sorin is the best Sorin. All these W/B Sorins are meh and have terrible art to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom