• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

But Sorin was around when the Helvault was destroyed. Him leaving, despite knowing Nahiri was locked away in it makes no sense.
There's no confirmation he knew the Helvault was destroyed. In fact, he probably didn't. He fought Tibalt and then he learns Avacyn is back and he leaves. He isn't aware of the 'how' from what the summaries show.

Ashodin

Collecting predictions of the set from the previous OT and early pages of this thread:

Familienoberhauptvogel said:
Don't wanna pre buy her (ed. note: Archangel Avacyn) at 15 but also don't wanna pay more later.

Gorgeous+scenery+just+putting+that+out+there+_f7393e9b25d12a507fe99b8c54f7c744.gif

Welp. Hope you got yours breh. GLHF at $50 per Angel. I just want ONE more for my deck imo.

charlequin said:
I'd say there's a lot more room to make fair Madness cards than fair (as opposed to too good or too awful) Threshold cards. You definitely have more knobs to turn.

giphy.gif

How right you were. Madness this time, while good, doesn't seem as obviously broken as fuck this time around. I'm glad Lightning Axe and Fiery Temper made it back tho. The best removal combo!

On Brain in a Jar

OnPoint said:
Oh good, the new Jar of Eyeballs. Glad we got that out of the way early.

Firemind said:
yeah, definitely trying too hard

ultron87 said:
The charge counter even happens as part of the resolution of the ability, so you can't remove it with Power Conduit (or other things) in response to cast a 0 cost spell. Boooo, lol.

I like how everyone was trying to break the artifact with 0 mana spells instead of the currently discovered way to play very quickly two mana split fuse cards. Just what happens when pros get their eyes on the new shiny.

phazedplasma said:
hopefully we'll get a Rootwalla reprint in SOI

Nope :(

OnPoint said:
I wonder if this means we'll get the black angel in the two-color angel cycle, too, or if it'll just be a two-color Avacyn haha

namequote

Joe Molotov said:
Emrakul 2.0, 20/20, no casting cost, can only be put into play by alternate means.

Interesting. I'm saving this one just in case you propheted the shit out of it. It would make sense with Nahiri's ultimate. But also a terrible card on its own. (Unless it has its own mechanic ala Westvale Abbey to summon)

divisionbyzorro said:
TFW you learn something (very minor) from the MTGO beta and can't say anything. :p

What was it?

On Arlinn Kord

Angry Grimace said:
I bet you she's just straight GR. Werewolves are GR on Innistrad, it seems pretty simple to me.

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER

After this we have a hilarious bout of posts where the timer went to ZERO for spoiler season and we got....

everything we already knew from spoilers. GG WOTC

Keru_Shiri said:
Wow, Bygone Bishop seems beastly in Limited.

Indeed it was

shrapnelmagnet said:
I hope there's a card like:

True Detective (Mana Cost)
Sorcery
Investigate, investigate, investigate.

:)

Almost! Confirm Suspicions is what you're looking for.

Ashodin said:
Man that black discard outlet, phew gimme a towel

Every prerelease I did (which was two!) I got 2x of Heir of Falkenrath. Shit was B A N A N A S

Ashodin said:
Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing
Shadows over Innistrad |OT| There's nothing to fear but madness itself
Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues
Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Hell Hath No Fury Like a Woman Scorned
Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Where Have All The Good Angels Gone?

Proud of my OT title skillz

A Serious Man said:
Declaration in Stone is going to be a staple, no doubt about that.

A Serious Man with A Serious Prediction. Came true!

WanderingWind said:
All the Planeswalkers' gear is garbage.

- Tamiyo's Journal
- Pyromancer's Goggles
- Godsend
- The Chain Veil

He he. Goggles actually saw play at SCG Baltimore!

On Archangel Avacyn's reveal

charlequin said:
EDIT: SUCK IT Avacyn Nahiri TRUTHERS

Was there ever any doubt?

The Technomancer said:
Probably constructed playable too right?

climb-up-Santa-lap-you-give-bearded-man-knowing-glance.gif

Giant Panda said:
That card is ridiculous. I foresee that card causing nearly as many groans as Siege Rhino.

Infinite Stars said:
That new Avacyn is just so bonkers. I'm totally going to get a playset because it just seems absurd.

Good job breh

Angry Grimace said:
She is Serra Angel with flash and like 5 different different upsides she's busted

Stammering Grimace can't even comprehend how pushed she is

Most people predicted her preorder price to be $17 to $20

On Anguished Unmaking's art

charlequin said:
Assuming it's all real and everything, that suggests that Tamiyo is both alive and still around, which leaves us with a challenge: which one of

Jace
Liliana
Sorin
Tamiyo
Arlinn
Nahiri

won't get a PW card?

I'd actually voice my opinion here and say every single one of them will get a planeswalker card. Liliana and Tamiyo specifically in EDM. It's one of the first times we'll have six planeswalkers in one block.

Some other people predicted Tamiyo would be out because of her being mono-blue, but I'd wager she's BG now. After all, Kiora fucking sucks

On Nahiri

charlequin said:
A Nahiri with equipment abilities would be another good hint that Kaladesh is coming up next.

Well we got her being able to search an equipment, so that's interesting.

On Sorin

Ashodin said:
I just think Sorin's pissed vampires be gettin killed so he'll have an ability that saves them.

Sorin's ultimate, anyone?

On Sigarda, Gisela, and Bruna

Crocodile said:
Sigarda has brand new art int he article, the other PowerPuff Girls have their old art. That suggests, though not confirms, that only Sigarda is getting a new card.

Ding ding ding! Won't be seeing Gisela and Bruna until EDM if they get cards there.

More to come later

Collecting predictions of the set from the previous OT and early pages of this thread:

Gorgeous+scenery+just+putting+that+out+there+_f7393e9b25d12a507fe99b8c54f7c744.gif

Welp. Hope you got yours breh. GLHF at $50 per Angel. I just want ONE more for my deck imo.

Yup, got her at the prerelease and only needed one for my Boros Angels EDH deck of which she's the proud new Commander. Sadly no commander at my LGS in the foreseeable future

Upper right corner. And she's only at 25€ here so I would only have lost 10 per card

There's no confirmation he knew the Helvault was destroyed. In fact, he probably didn't. He fought Tibalt and then he learns Avacyn is back and he leaves. He isn't aware of the 'how' from what the summaries show.

True, but the way the event was described it is bloody odd that he missed it.

I'd actually voice my opinion here and say every single one of them will get a planeswalker card. Liliana and Tamiyo specifically in EDM. It's one of the first times we'll have six planeswalkers in one block.

Yeah, at the time I was figuring three PWs in SOI, once we found out it was four I was pretty certain Tamiyo would get a card.

Ding ding ding! Won't be seeing Gisela and Bruna until EDM if they get cards there.

Usually Rosewater says "Maybe :)" but on this one he said "Patience," so it's hard to interpret that as anything but a yes.

EDIT: In terms of legends in EDM... Thalia, two (or three) angels, Ulrich (or Tovolar), Edgar Markov (I wish :( ), Emrakul? Anyone I'm forgetting?

Yeef

EDIT: In terms of legends in EDM... Thalia, two (or three) angels, Ulrich (or Tovolar), Edgar Markov (I wish :( ), Emrakul? Anyone I'm forgetting?
We might get a Ludevic card. There seems to be a BFF situation forming between him and Geralf.

[EDIT]If horror-tribal ends up being a thing, he seems to have a bigger connection to that creature type than Geralf or any other character.

Ashodin

Yeah, at the time I was figuring three PWs in SOI, once we found out it was four I was pretty certain Tamiyo would get a card.

Usually Rosewater says "Maybe :)" but on this one he said "Patience," so it's hard to interpret that as anything but a yes.

New Thalia would probably push Mono-White Humans into Tier 1 standard

Ashodin

Well mono-white humans finished 2nd at the only Standard tournament we've had in this format, so I'd say it's already there.

Eh it's week 1. It's pretty strong yes, but the metagame needs to evolve. I'd say mono-black or mid-range BW right now has the chance to keep Mono-White down. Even GW tokens dies horribly to Languish, and my deck mainboards 4.

Just means more languish mainboard. Any shard list including red also has access to kozilek's return (aka "fuck you secure the wastes") and radiant flames. Haven't tested with radiant but painful truths was really easy to hit.

inthrall

Some other people predicted Tamiyo would be out because of her being mono-blue, but I'd wager she's BG now. After all, Kiora fucking sucks

I reckon either U or U/W, she was pretty calculating in the excerpt about dissecting werewolves. If she is not monocolor, she will either have some sort of corruption story and go U/(R or B), or have more backstory added that adds another color to her story, like Nahiri

Eh it's week 1. It's pretty strong yes, but the metagame needs to evolve. I'd say mono-black or mid-range BW right now has the chance to keep Mono-White down. Even GW tokens dies horribly to Languish, and my deck mainboards 4.

It's the best aggro deck we've seen by a wide margin, 7 of the top 14 decks at SCG Baltimore were some variant of it. I'm a fan of the slower W/U version which can easily run Invasive Surgery in the sb if sweepers become increasingly common.

Also Radiant Flames and especially Kozilek's Return need to land very early or else Always Watching and Thalia's Lieutenant will put their entire army out of range.

OnPoint

True, but the way the event was described it is bloody odd that he missed it.
There's a bit of hoop-jumping done already to get things on Innistrad back to fucked up after Avacyn Restored, so I'm going to go ahead and say they had no idea Nahiri was in there or that Sorin would care about the Helvault back then. Sorin's inclusion on Innistrad during Dark Ascension never felt like it mattered during the story back then anyway. It was like they included him just because he was from there.

Is one of those the RG werewolf legend? I'd be floored if they didn't. I'll also take a stab at Thalia being decently standard playable, but not eternal playable like the first one.

I reckon either U or U/W, she was pretty calculating in the excerpt about dissecting werewolves. If she is not monocolor, she will either have some sort of corruption story and go U/(R or B), or have more backstory added that adds another color to her story, like Nahiri
She's so UW it hurts, but Investigate being a UG mechanic gives me pause (doesn't make sense in UG thematically but whatever), so I feel there's a chance she could be, just like in the game, Bant colored (especially since Narset is the de facto UW 'walker now). I wouldn't mind her being 1WUG and being semi-powerful, even if Bant Company is pretty damn good already. I'm sick of unplayable mythics and/or planeswalkers. So make it count.

We did it boys, (heeby)GB VALUE TRAIN ASSEMBLED

qhiun8.png

I'm starting to come around on SOI draft. Lots of weird engines to come together if you go for it.

This is definitely close to my creatureless UR Geistblast forking Rise from the Tides deck in terms of fun.

Is one of those the RG werewolf legend? I'd be floored if they didn't.

Tovolar is the alpha of the Modronen pack, a big silver werewolf who (supposedly) never takes human form. Ulrich is the alpha of the Krallenhorde pack, a crazy berserker type. They each show up in a card name.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
We still could use a real Geralf and Gisa card. Yeah, yeah, we got those crappy commander cards, but considering Geralf is still on every other zombie card, it'd be nice if we got actual cards to play with in standard. Besides, we could use a nice legendary zombie in EDM. Hell, put them on the same card, Pia and Kiran style. "The worst circumstances make for the most unlikely allies"

Yeef

Gisa and Geralf on the same card would feel strange. It seems like they're always at odds with one another, even if it's just minor sibling rivalry.

Ashodin

We still could use a real Geralf and Gisa card. Yeah, yeah, we got those crappy commander cards, but considering Geralf is still on every other zombie card, it'd be nice if we got actual cards to play with in standard. Besides, we could use a nice legendary zombie in EDM. Hell, put them on the same card, Pia and Kiran style. "The worst circumstances make for the most unlikely allies"

Nah bro, they're already hyping up Geralf and Ludevic bromance. They should get a twin card.

I find it curious so many are sticking to 2 colour combinations over shards in standard brews right now, even enemy pairs whose manabase isn't the most supported. I really like the manabase setup of the bant company player that won the SCG.

Wichu

I find it curious so many are sticking to 2 colour combinations over shards in standard brews right now, even enemy pairs whose manabase isn't the most supported. I really like the manabase setup of the bant company player that won the SCG.
I don't think the small benefit of running a third colour is worth the decreased consistency of my mana. If I wanted to splash a third colour, I either reduce the sources of my existing colours making my CC cards riskier, or I play a ton of ETB tapped lands and slow myself down.

OnPoint

Just glad it's Sullivan and Cedric. I don't mind their other folks, but these two are gems together.

I don't mind the guy that was with Cedric last week. They're number two as a pair behind Cedric and Sullivan. Those three manage to be informative and discuss the lines of play while remaining pleasant and enjoyable to hear. They play well off each other. Everyone else after them are irritating to awful to me though. Hunt has at least 5 cards a weekend he mispronounces (golem, NOT gollum you philistine) and VanMeter has an oddly irritating voice for a guy his size.

Give me more Gerry T or Chapin with Cedric.Get these other clowns out of there.

I don't think the small benefit of running a third colour is worth the decreased consistency of my mana. If I wanted to splash a third colour, I either reduce the sources of my existing colours making my CC cards riskier, or I play a ton of ETB tapped lands and slow myself down.

I don't think it's a small benefit, the biggest being able to play painful truths, and while the density of cipt lands might be higher, not even that much higher than in enemy colour pairs, CC costs rarely are an obstacle.

2nd week in a row I get done in round 1 by the rare devil token spell + westvale abbey.

That combo is legit unfair.

There aren't enough sweepers in the set to have that land at rare. In my current pod there are 3 of them.

2nd week in a row I get done in round 1 by the rare devil token spell + westvale abbey.

That combo is legit unfair.

There aren't enough sweepers in the set to have that land at rare. In my current pod there are 3 of them.

All I know is, I force Geist Blast + Rise from the Tides every time in limited. I took the latter over Avacyn lol

Figures that I'd meet Westvale Abbey in round 2 as well.

2nd FNM, 2nd 0-2. That's how many 0-2s I had drafting OGW in total (in paper) and I drafted that set twice a week nearly.

I drafted UW fliers with a bunch of removal but whenever I was ahead I faced Westvale.

What actually did me in was the green sorcery that destroys enchantments.

kirblar

Huh, Jeff Hoogland is running a Standard Sin Prodder deck (Mardu Control) and I guess he's doing well.
The thing people miss about Sin Prodder- that ability is ALL upside. It's an extra draw, where you bin lands, and for spells you get to shock your opponent or get an extra card. But since it doesn't replace your real draw, it's not hurting you.

Gisa and Geralf on the same card would feel strange. It seems like they're always at odds with one another, even if it's just minor sibling rivalry.

You just need to give the card two tap abilities, one for black and one for blue.

I don't mind the guy that was with Cedric last week. They're number two as a pair behind Cedric and Sullivan.

The SGC commentary is generally quite a bit above the WotC streams in all their variants. I like Cedric a good bit less now that I know he's a jerk, but he is very good on stream.

The thing people miss about Sin Prodder- that ability is ALL upside. It's an extra draw, where you bin lands, and for spells you get to shock your opponent or get an extra card. But since it doesn't replace your real draw, it's not hurting you.

I think the judgment on the CR review was that a 3/2 Menace for 3 was too shitty to ever play even with occasional upside, lol.

Juanfp

I just got Sorin in a fat pack and want to build a deck around him. Any advise?
I play casually and with friends that play the game the same.

Joe Molotov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom