• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200886682]The problem isn't her motivation, it's that her position shifts suddenly. At first she's buddy buddy with Sorin but about two words in she goes all fire and brimstone.

It's just very nebulous what's going on with Nahiri. If the point was to make her unstable, that wasn't illustrated well in itself. It feels more contrived than anything.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Her going 'Sorin, how's it going?' (even as a pretense to try and suss him out) to 'YOU KNEW YOU COULD HAVE MISSED MY CALL?!", even though Sorin admitted he didn't know for sure that he'd have missed the call in and of itself when he was trying to create Avacyn and the Helvault seems less...justified, and more random.

Honestly, the entire setup of the return to the block so soon seems contrived to me, insofar as Innistrad's erupting popularity as a block back when it was released.

Yet Wizards had previously planned to 'resolve' the block's story to such an extreme of Avacyn's release 'solving' everything, rather than restoring a balance as was intended by her creation.

Bandini

I still think original Sorin is the best Sorin. All these W/B Sorins are meh and have terrible art to boot.

I just have a soft spot for WB tokens. It was one of the first decks I ever threw together (back when I didn't even know what competitive formats were) and Sorin, Lord of Innistrad was great in it. Solemn Visitor helped me win a prerelease and I've enjoyed it in a few other brews.

Original Sorin is still super sweet in Commander.

OnPoint

Nahiri being "righteously pissed" is accurate, hence her RW alignment. But there's more to it than that. Y'all are ignoring the obvious clues that Nahiri isn't exactly herself.

First: Her conversation with Sorin makes her seem rather unstable. Sudden mood shifts like she exhibits here are not a normal thing for someone to go through. She goes from happy to see Sorin to my-way-or-the-highway in 2 seconds flat. Remember, she's not a teenager -- she's a millennia old being of great power. Compare her demeanor to that of Sorin or Ugin. Red-white or not, she's not acting like a rational adult.

Then there's this:

For a moment, the two Planeswalkers remained face to face, with blade pressing against blade. Sorin studied her. Her eyes were fixed on Avacyn, and in those eyes Sorin recognized confusion.

That Sorin remarks on this means there's more going on behind the scenes than you see.

Nahiri being "righteously pissed" is accurate, hence her RW alignment. But there's more to it than that. Y'all are ignoring the obvious clues that Nahiri isn't exactly herself.

First: Her conversation with Sorin makes her seem rather unstable. Sudden mood shifts like she exhibits here are not a normal thing for someone to go through. She goes from happy to see Sorin to my-way-or-the-highway in 2 seconds flat. Remember, she's not a teenager -- she's a millennia old being of great power. Compare her demeanor to that of Sorin or Ugin. Red-white or not, she's not acting like a rational adult.

Then there's this:

That Sorin remarks on this means there's more going on behind the scenes than you see.

I would be confused by the gothic angel with my face made by me mentor I'm currently fighting looking at us. Was there at least a line of "I can explain... I never expected you two to meet each other."

Creepy Sorin.

Joe Molotov

It's like that episode of TNG where Geordi made the VR sexbot version of a lady scientist he liked and then she stopped by the Enterprise and found it.

Ashodin

I like how Sorin doesn't give a fuck.

"I aint got time for your vampire shenanigans"

Flick snap you're dead.

If I could wipe away beings into dust with a snap of my fingers, you best believe I'd do it often.

He did the equivalent of Indy shooting that dude dead.

Nahiri definitely is being corrupted by Emrakul's influence. Likely it's driving her to enter Innistrad and take down the protections so Emrakul can come om nom nom.

OnPoint

Nahiri definitely is being corrupted by Emrakul's influence. Likely it's driving her to enter Innistrad and take down the protections so Emrakul can come om nom nom.

This is how I see it, based on the history they've established:

• Nahiri, Sorin and Ugin stop the Eldrazi
  • Years go by, Nahiri gets tired
  • Nahiri goes into her meditational slumber
  • The seals weaken, the Eldrazi stir and the brood reappear
  • If the Eldrazi stir, and the brood appear, they are likely influencing the plane
  • Remember, Nahiri is literally in the earth of Zendikar at this point
  • This is where she starts to feel the effects of madness
  • She wakes up and reseals them
  • No one came to help, she's a bit angry, and also a bit crazy now
  • She goes to find Sorin (and likely Ugin)
  • Sorin and her fight...
  • This is where I have to start guessing
  • She ends up trapped in the Helvault
  • OOPS, Sorin did it on accident or whatever
  • Fast forward to the events of Innistrad
  • Helvault is broken, Nahiri is released
  • Vengeance is now the quest, because she's both crazy AND pissed now
  • If the Helvault was shielding the plane, perhaps breaking it was like a beacon
  • Emrakul sees it and is all like 'Sup over here?'
  • Emrakul starts the long lumbering journey to Innistrad
  • Now we're at Shadows of Innistrad

Ashodin

Just gimme this shit next set

PLZ WOTC

3SYkgFc.png

(Fake card obv)

I fuckin' neeeeed it

speaking of which I found this badass cosplay version this woman made

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200894498]Nowhere, it said you left the game. So I made some lunch.[/QUOTE]

How do you just switch up decks? I hit you up in the private chat right after closing the game to reload something else.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, they can't just go about printing playable equipment. It's the only card type that every single card has to suck in every set unless it's a special artifact set.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Just gimme this shit next set

PLZ WOTC

3SYkgFc.png

(Fake card obv)

I fuckin' neeeeed it

speaking of which I found this badass cosplay version this woman made
Cast Avacyn to win combat, my turn, cast and equip stone forged blade on Avacyn... Literally have no chance of losing unless playing against white.

A Bant Control list I want to try, now that the beta ran out I'm gonna have to settle for cockatrice too.

3 Prairie Stream
4 Canopy Vista
1 Port Town
1 Fortified Village
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Lumbering Falls
2 Island
3 Plains
2 Forest
3 Westvale Abbey
4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
4 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
1 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
3 Tireless Tracker
3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1 Narset Transcendent
3 Declaration in Stone
1 Descend upon the Sinful
2 Secure the Wastes
1 Negate
3 Stasis Snare
2 Ojutai's Command
1 Dragonlord Ojutai
1 Den Protector
3 Archangel Avacyn
SB: 1 Declaration in Stone
SB: 1 Descend upon the Sinful
SB: 2 Negate
SB: 1 Dispel
SB: 1 Stasis Snare
SB: 1 Ojutai's Command
SB: 1 Narset Transcendent
SB: 1 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
SB: 2 Clip Wings
SB: 1 Tireless Tracker
SB: 1 Den Protector
SB: 1 Pulse of Murasa
SB: 1 Archangel Avacyn

9 targets for jace seems low. I'm close to purchasing what I need for Grixis control.

Santiako

So I bought a fat pack, and I got 2 Olivias and 1 Westvale Abbey. Kinda crappy fatpack, but I mostly wanted the box and the lands so whatever :p

Haines

Banned
Sorry to hear ashodin

Really liked the new LR cast but I don't understand why Marshall keeps running over lsv. He used to give him room to talk.

But they nailed what I like about this set. You find an archetype by hitting a couple build around and try and min max it. It makes drafting more interesting than just have knowledge on the most powerful cards in a vacuum.

Sorry to hear ashodin

Really liked the new LR cast but I don't understand why Marshall keeps running over lsv. He used to give him room to talk.

But they nailed what I like about this set. You find an archetype by hitting a couple build around and try and min max it. It makes drafting more interesting than just have knowledge on the most powerful cards in a vacuum.

Marshall always talks over LSV. It's a problem they've always had.

I finally went and made the FTV angels box into a proper deckbox.

Didn't take much just cutting some plexiglass and filing a bunch. Just a bitch to do because I don't have the proper tools.

Still have 2 of these to make for FTV 20 and Dragons but only have a need for Dragons atm. For the scion deck. Might use the 20 for Zur.

Metroidvania

Well, that was a close one.

Opened up a box and a fat pack, primarily looking for the delirium angel, Avacyn, and the planeswalkers....

Got Nahiri and Sorin right away, the delirium angel a bit later....didn't end up getting Avacyn until the very last pack, lol.

At least I don't have to cough up 40 more for her now. >_>

Calling it now: Avacyn's Madness isn't due to Nahiri or anything, it's due to her programming being crap. Sorin stated in the story today that Avacyn was made to stop extraplanar threats. If Emrakul's corruption is intensified by being the only Eldrazi left and he's being felt throughout Innistrad, then Avacyn would perceive him as otherworldly and his corrupted followers similarly. She'd then kill them off and realize "Well, better kill anyone who could fall prey to it"

Ashodin

Nah the story stated that once Nahiri started fucking with the plane's mana with the cryptoliths, it affected Avacyn as well. Angels are made of pure mana which are usually attuned to the plane.

Well, that was a close one.

Opened up a box and a fat pack, primarily looking for the delirium angel, Avacyn, and the planeswalkers....

Got Nahiri and Sorin right away, the delirium angel a bit later....didn't end up getting Avacyn until the very last pack, lol.

At least I don't have to cough up 40 more for her now. >_>

I just want one more for my Equipment deck's top end.

I was listening to Pat Chapin's podcast and he brought up that you could discard Geistblast to Lightning Axe or Tormenting Voice then activate it from the graveyard to fork the spell you discarded it to. I never thought of that.

bigkrev

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200934844]I was listening to Pat Chapin's podcast and he brought up that you could discard Geistblast to Lightning Axe or Tormenting Voice then activate it from the graveyard to fork the spell you discarded it to. I never thought of that.[/QUOTE]

So Many Insane Plays podcast (Vintage podcast) brought up that you can cast a Fused Beck/Call or Breaking/Entering with a Brain in a Jar on 2 counters.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";200934844]I was listening to Pat Chapin's podcast and he brought up that you could discard Geistblast to Lightning Axe or Tormenting Voice then activate it from the graveyard to fork the spell you discarded it to. I never thought of that.[/QUOTE]

That made me come up with this card. I wonder if it would be overpowered in Storm.

Fork Ritual - RR
Instant
Add RRR to your mana pool.
2R, Exile Fork Ritual from your graveyard: Copy target instant or sorcery spell you control. You may choose new targets for it.

Metroidvania

Just read through the Fat Pack booklet with a few story beats (continuing/echoing the MTG duels new chapter), and if it wasn't blatantly obvious before now, it's pretty much assured that Sorin's deal with Olivia
to kill off Avacyn in exchange for re-taking Markov Manor is actually part of Nahiri's plan to lower Innistrad's 'planar defenses' and let/attract Emrakul in.

So a method to the madness, as it were - at least to some extent.

Ashodin

So Many Insane Plays podcast (Vintage podcast) brought up that you can cast a Fused Beck/Call or Breaking/Entering with a Brain in a Jar on 2 counters.

This is also modern legal.... I bought 4x each.

Preliminary deck:

(The creatures I chose are ones I own, I don't have blightsteel)

kHPu6Fd.gif

OnPoint

Just read through the Fat Pack booklet with a few story beats (continuing/echoing the MTG duels new chapter), and if it wasn't blatantly obvious before now, it's pretty much assured that Sorin's deal with Olivia
to kill off Avacyn in exchange for re-taking Markov Manor is actually part of Nahiri's plan to lower Innistrad's 'planar defenses' and let/attract Emrakul in.

So a method to the madness, as it were - at least to some extent.

I don't quite understand how that would work. There's no way that
Avacyn could do anything to Emrakul or would be preventing her from showing up on the plane. There's just too great a gulf of power level
. Also, why are we
spoiler tagging MTG story all of the sudden. I don't think we need to.

Metroidvania

I don't quite understand how that would work. There's no way that
Avacyn could do anything to Emrakul or would be preventing her from showing up on the plane. There's just too great a gulf of power level
. Also, why are we
spoiler tagging MTG story all of the sudden. I don't think we need to.

Sorin set her up as his 'anti-planar' defense, alongside the helvault - I think Avacyn was meant, at least partially, as a cloaking mechanism.

At least, that was the gist of what I got from both the story article + fat pack. Sorin would have to know that Avacyn wouldn't be strong enough on her own, yeah.

OnPoint

Sorin set her up as his 'anti-planar' defense, alongside the helvault - I think Avacyn was meant, at least partially, as a cloaking mechanism.

At least, that was the gist of what I got from both the story article + fat pack. Sorin would have to know that Avacyn wouldn't be strong enough on her own, yeah.

I suppose time will tell. This is the most interested I've been in Magic story in some time, so the mystery angle is working at least for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom