• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magicka |OT| I'm not a vampire.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Damn, that's a bit premature but it looks like indie GOTY to me. Crazy I know, but it's so fun. Can't wait to try out co-op. Can you get it in the game with randoms? Will this be out for mac? All my PC friends are 100% dudebro players :(

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
subversus said:
Damn, that's a bit premature but it looks like indie GOTY to me. Crazy I know, but it's so fun. Can't wait to try out co-op. Can you get it in the game with randoms? Will this be out for mac? All my PC friends are 100% dudebro players :(
Then make new PC friends ;)

derFeef

Patchnotes for the upcoming update (not live yet, but it´s delivered to Steam they say.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1732328

Changelog Patch #26 Jan

Bugs Fixed

* Added keyboard binding for cast self (default middle mouse button)
* Steam usernames longer than 15 characters will now be shortened instead of crashing.
* Fixed a bug when displaying an already disposed server in server listing which caused a crash.
* Multiple move orders with delays will now properly stop during the delay.
* The errorReport in the application directory now also contains a version numbers.
* Server lists can now be properly scrolled.
* Path names are now region safe.
* Chapter 6 Scene 4 (Grimnir mind duel) now spawns the correct amount of spawns.
* Removed VAC option, all online games now use VAC.
* Improved cutscene-skip in Chapter 2 Scene 2.
* Improved cutscene-skip in Chapter 3 Scene 3.
* Checkpoint added in Chapter 6 Scene 5 (Grimnir boss fight).
* Statuseffect desync crash fixed.
* Animation time desync crash fixed.
* Additional small fixes.

Features added

* Cancel button added to gamepad configuration popup.
* Icon added for break free action.
* Icon added for boost action.
* Icon added for magic action.

Known issues:

* No private game/password game option (coming soon)
* Game stutters slightly on some systems despite good performance
* Steam attempts to install XNA framework every time game is launched
* Inexplicable poor performance on some high end machines
* Sometimes campaign progress is wiped due to network disconnect (yeah this one is annoying)

Went home for lunch and booted up the demo again, but I plugged in a 360 controller.

Not liking it right off the bat. I really prefer the keyboard on-screen controls (since they're always on). I also wish the elements were bound to the face buttons (one on each, with a trigger modifier), rather than radial menu selections with the stick. I'm sure it's something you'll get used to, but playing with the controller actually cut down my enthusiasm to instantly purchase it tonight, whereas I was expecting the opposite.

Mrbob

SnakeswithLasers said:
Went home for lunch and booted up the demo again, but I plugged in a 360 controller.

Not liking it right off the bat. I really prefer the keyboard on-screen controls (since they're always on). I also wish the elements were bound to the face buttons (one on each, with a trigger modifier), rather than radial menu selections with the stick. I'm sure it's something you'll get used to, but playing with the controller actually cut down my enthusiasm to instantly purchase it tonight, whereas I was expecting the opposite.

Oh its a radial dial? I had been thinking along the same lines as you how to control the elements with the 360 pad. Too bad there aren't on screen prompts either they are useful when combining elements.

Mrbob said:
Oh its a radial dial? I had been thinking along the same lines as you how to control the elements with the 360 pad. Too bad there aren't on screen prompts either they are useful when combining elements.
You push Up on the right stick and this brings up a prompt that shows "Stone and Water" (not sure if this is correct, I only played for five minutes), then you hit Up Right to add stone or Up Left to add water. But unlike the keyboard command, there isn't just a static menu on the screen reminding you which elements are bound to which direction. At least nothing apparent to me in the five minutes I was testing it. Someone else may be able to give better info or elaborate.

I just found pressing "A, S, E" to be a lot quicker and more intuitive than "Up, Roll to right, Down, Roll to right, Up, Roll to Left". These are super quick impressions from my lunch break though, so a grain of salt and plugging in your own controller is definitely advisable.

L00P

I don't get why this game keeps getting compared to Torchlight. From what I've played in the demo, there aren't any similarities at all!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
L00P said:
I don't get why this game keeps getting compared to Torchlight. From what I've played in the demo, there aren't any similarities at all!

In that it's an indie PC game coming out of nowhere that is selling very well. They are comparing it's place in the market, not the gameplay.

Loam

Game is pretty fun, I've only played the demo so far but it seems you can pretty much dominate everything with the lightning/fire/arcane combo beam. For those of you that have purchased the full game does this still hold true later on?

Regardless I'll probably pick it up once they get a few more bugs ironed out. The spell system truly is something special.

Ettie

L00P said:

As a champion of loot-whoring, I can say there aren't similarities in that regard. But the over-the-top-ness and to a lesser extent the humor are shared.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just played some 2 player co-op and despite the bugginess, it was pretty amazing. I can't imagine the chaos that'd crop up with 4.

M74

Just downloaded the Demo on Steam. When I click on it, my mouse wheel spins for a couple of seconds like it's working, then nothing comes up. It still shows up as being open/recently played, even though it doesn't seem to start working. Not spending $10 on the full thing when the Demo doesn't even play. :/

WTF, can you not remap the control for the middle wheel of a mouse to cast spells? I can't play this game then. And only being able to change spells on main menu is stupid.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
WTF, can you not remap the control for the middle wheel of a mouse to cast spells? I can't play this game then. And only being able to change spells on main menu is stupid.
dammit man, you're a pc gamer with google at your fingertips. you can overcome this bane.

Nabs said:
I'm close to picking this up, the demo was cool

Did you use middle mouse button to cast spells?

ghst said:
dammit man, you're a pc gamer with google at your fingertips. you can overcome this bane.

And I've found nothing. Other people have the problem but no fix since steam specifically says needs 3 button mouse. I have an MX Revoultion and I guess it doesn't work since it uses that to switch between scrolling but don't know if I can change that.

notsol337

marked forever
If you're easily frustrated, skip this game.

I just spent 4 hours playing with a friend, aaaaaaand...

This is a spoiler. Totally a spoiler.

There's a part where you run a gauntlet on tiny islands. The third island was nearly impossible. After 12 attempts we quit! Why was it nearly impossible, you ask? It's just 2 casters. 2 casters with shields up. 2 casters casting opposing beams. 2 casters casting opposing beams on the same person. The last attempt, I used the teleport staff to go behind them. They blew up my friend and then me in literally about 2 seconds. It was near instant. The worst part is that it makes you do the first 2 islands again and again. Not sure if I'll even finish it.

tl;dr

Instagibbing multiple players at once. Frustrating.

For added awesome though, try using port 1337 to host a game.

Woo-Fu

Banned
4-player Challenge is a lot of fun when it isn't lagging out or crashing.

They added the ability to remap cast-on-self to something besides middle mouse button in today's patch, FYI.

Ferrio

Banned

Does anyone want to make a list of people who want to play this? I just bought it today and wouldn't mind trying to do 2-4 people together instead of just alone. :)

Ferrio

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Does anyone want to make a list of people who want to play this? I just bought it today and wouldn't mind trying to do 2-4 people together instead of just alone. :)

Multiplayer over the net is pretty much unplayable. You can connect, but the game quickly will go down hill. It'll start lagging, and tons of desyncing. We tried many times last night, no go.

Ferrio said:
Multiplayer over the net is pretty much unplayable. You can connect, but the game quickly will go down hill. It'll start lagging, and tons of desyncing. We tried many times last night, no go.

:( Hope it gets fixed soon.

With a lot of online voodoo and patience, i was able to get an hour or two of this in with a friend across the country last night before the freezing and desyncing became too much to bear. Never really got kicked out, though. Mind you, we were connecting on a fake LAN through a VPN he set up. And it only worked if he invited me to a game, we couldn't see each other hosting a game.

That said, I also missed a couple of minutes of game from laughing too hard.

Durante

I just spent 4 hours playing this game in coop.

It's soooo buggy and soooooo fun. The amount of references is staggering, and I probably only catched half of them (the 300 reference including achievement makes me miss the :lol).

notsol337

marked forever
NIN90 said:
This game is griefing heaven and I absolutely LOVE THAT

So I say to myself "YEAH TIME TO GET TO WORK ON LEVEL THREE" and then NIN blows me up, casts a few AoE things, and bails out on me.

Grief't.

_Bro

Banned
Ya, if you guys are upset about dying then.. I don't even know. There is really no end game that you should be trying to reach so why are you trying to progress so hard? A friend and I spend 20 minutes trying to cross the river to your right when you leave the castle. Then maybe another twenty minutes pushing one another into enemies and shooting our heal beams at one another.

Some people and there need to 'win.' Meh.

NIN90

notsol337 said:
So I say to myself "YEAH TIME TO GET TO WORK ON LEVEL THREE" and then NIN blows me up, casts a few AoE things, and bails out on me.

Grief't.

Oh god I missed the obvious tea-bagging opportunity.

derFeef

Revolutionary said:
lol @ the Highlander achievement

So awesome.

I hope today's patch made MP more stable, gonna give it a whirl now.
Nope, the patch pretty much makes coop unplayable for me and my mates. Synch errors + bandwidth hog is pretty... :(

Woo-Fu

Banned
Each patch is two steps forward and one step back.

Example:

They added password option for mp games.

Result: It doesn't ask for the password when you join and kicks you out with bad password.
Result2: It asks for the password and you give it the right one and it kicks you out with bad password.
Result3: It actually works.

Example:

They allow you to remap cast on self to something besides middle mouse button.

Result: They bind staff special to middle mouse button and don't let you remap it.

Top Bottom