• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magicka |OT| I'm not a vampire.

ameratsu

This game is a lot of fun in coop, but still fun in single player. Once they work the kinks out this will be a great co-op game. Just got to level 4

It took me way too long to figure out how to make steam >.>

Davidion

Talk about bugged, after the
air ship crash
the damage must have somehow registered as death, so I ended up walking around with "Defeated" logo stuck on my screen. After getting to the
druid
fight I actually DID die and it must have caused some kind of conflict because my game never went on to register the ACTUAL death.

This has to be the most glitchy release I've played in a while.

joesmokey

Is there anyway to copy over a save file to another slot? I have a save that is for co-op, but I'd like to keep continuing in solo play without messing up the co-op's progress.

Edit:
Nooooo, I joined another friend's network game, and it erased my campaign save file from last night. Ugh. On top of that we couldn't progress in Level 2 with all of the bugs :(.

Ferrio

Banned
Patch that should be out today

Changelog for Patch #5 (1.3.3.4)- January 31st
Fixed issues/bugs
Fixed save games disappearing when disconnecting from online game. (For real this time)
Fixed crash for alternative character models appearing in cutscenes. (Chapter 7, Chapter 12).
Fixed crash caused by conjuring large quantities of elements.
Fixed crash due to beams merging.
Fixed crash where Chapter 11 boss collided with shield.
Fixed crash where Clients and servers would send old messages when reconnecting.
Fixed high-end machine jitter.
Improved network batching. (should result in serious network performance increase).
Improved startup routine to prevent threading problems.
Improved authentification on connect. (should result in fewer auth-failed)
Fixed a missing file that resulted in french text not appearing correctly.
Fixed immovable objects jittering.
Fixed issue where characters would get stuck during cutscenes.
Fixed issue where scripted player movement would remain after a cutscene.
Fixed missing boss titles.
Steam join through overlay fixed.
Fixed Chapter 1 collision. (behind door)
Fixed Chapter 3 collision. (you can now fall down the well)
Fixed Chapter 7 cutscene lockups and other issues.
Fixed Chapter 8 cutscene lockup.
Fixed Chapter 8 navigation fixed.
Fixed Chapter 9 cutscene lockups.
Fixed Chapter 11 teleport issue.
Fixed Chapter 12 cutscene lockup.
Conflagration is now properly synced over network.

New features/balancing
Chapter 3 now has proper pirates by the picnic.
Chapter 8 now has manual exit at the end of level.
Fire Damage increased from 40 to 60.
Spawned summons now capped at 16 per player.
Goblin Pirate damage reduced from 155 to 72.
Added server list filter option for “Password”.
Removed obsolete port option of game hosting (always hosted on 27016 anyways).
Sever list sorting added (klick on the header).

Known Issues
Self-shields sometimes get out of sync
Network uplink bandwidth, while improved, can be demanding
Steam attempts to install XNA framework every time game is launched or rare occasion
"Too fancy for fireballs" achievement is sometimes not awarded
Quitting the game while the credits are rolling will not award a game complete.
Mouse outside screen in full screen with multiple monitors will minimize the game.

I don't really have any PC-gaming friends but I love RPG and RTS games so I'm thinking I'll enjoy this game. Also, I am always a spell caster class in my RPGs.

Is it worth buying just for single-player fun?

Just bought it then after playing for about 15 min I thought hmm this would probably be a lot more fun in co-op mode, so I ended up spending $30 on the game, got copies for 2 of my brothers. They better play it, sometimes its hard to get them away from the mainstream games like modern warfare and WoW.

It seems pretty good so far, I hope it does well

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Still getting all kinds of desync errors after this patch, so they still have a ways to go.

joesmokey

Still have tons of crashes in multiplayer. Nobody gets d/c errors, the game just fatally crashes and sits as a process using up 1GB ram unless you don't kill it :(.

We had to replay Chapter 6 3 times before we could get through it without crashing (4 player mode).

Griefing in this game is so much fun though. EDF wins every time :).

Volcynika

Tried to play it with three friends last night. Whenever you get knocked down to the basement at the very beginning, at least one of us had a black screen where we could still move around, but see nothing. Incredibly frustrating as hell.

nilbog21

Banned
this game is fucking brilliant ><

did they take the idea from Invoker in DotA ? or is this an older spell system?

game is genius, i love it. actually takes brain power and skill (unlike diablo, titanquest,etcetc)

game is worth full price 49.99$, altho i dont know how long it is.. :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Wren said:
Game is pretty fun, I've only played the demo so far but it seems you can pretty much dominate everything with the lightning/fire/arcane combo beam. For those of you that have purchased the full game does this still hold true later on?

Regardless I'll probably pick it up once they get a few more bugs ironed out. The spell system truly is something special.
I imagine that wouldn't go well if you were fighting zombies in a wet area (arcane heals undead, lightning does self harm when you're in water). I don't know if the full game has that scenario though.

Astery

bought and played chapter 1 solo using a controller, doesn't feel effective. Tried mouse and kb, doesn't feel right either.....

so question to GAF- which is the better option for you, mouse and kb or controller?

Durante

I haven't tried a pad with this game, but I couldn't imagine it being remotely as effective. Since there are no cooldowns of any kind, the only limit to your casting speed is the speed with which you can build your desired spells. I can't see any control method on a pad that would enable me to do this as accurately and quickly as the keyboard mapping.

Dunlop

The Lamonster said:
Is it worth buying just for single-player fun?

So far I would say yes, but it is annoying to die to a bug in the game (twice now from archers out of the screen that I could not hit so had to reset) when you start at some far off checkpoint. The game will also only save when you complete a level so if you want to progress it is really not a 5minute now and then type of deal.

I totally love the spellcasting system, wish I did not feel like I paid them for a beta copy. They should have put at least another month of Q&A

Red

This game keeps randomly crashing without warning or error message. Really annoying. I just want to play.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Astery said:
bought and played chapter 1 solo using a controller, doesn't feel effective. Tried mouse and kb, doesn't feel right either.....

so question to GAF- which is the better option for you, mouse and kb or controller?
BelkinNostromoSpeedpad_v2.jpg

Red

Does anyone know of or have a list of the "special" weapons in this game? So far I've found the "Sword of the Masters" and an M60. Both very cool inclusions. Is there anything else like that?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So supposedly they pushed another patch yet again today. Anyone have any better luck with the crashing or the netcode?

webrunner

Just beat chapter.. 2? I think? The forest?

The boss
worm thing.. is really annoying. Half the time my spells didn't even hit for no easily discernible reason. It also seemed to be immune to being frozen :/ But hey, I got the master sword, so good on that.

derFeef

webrunner said:
Just beat chapter.. 2? I think? The forest?

The boss
worm thing.. is really annoying. Half the time my spells didn't even hit for no easily discernible reason. It also seemed to be immune to being frozen :/ But hey, I got the master sword, so good on that.

Let it hit a shield with it´s head, that´s the key.

Cday

Banned
Bought it earlier thinking it'd be alright by now, nope. Constant stuttering, not being able to move sometimes after scripted sequences, no saves so when something goes wrong you're shit out of luck.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Cday said:
Bought it earlier thinking it'd be alright by now, nope. Constant stuttering, not being able to move sometimes after scripted sequences, no saves so when something goes wrong you're shit out of luck.
I don't get any stuttering with triple buffering and vsync enabled on D3DOverrider.

It's crashed for my friend twice already at the end of Chapter 4 and 5. :(

So I got the really awesome
M60
and got nothing. YEEEEEE~

joesmokey

Cday said:
Did you try windowed mode? It sucks having to play it that way, but as someone else mentioned earlier it fixed the stuttering for me as well.

Still a ton of crashes. In Chapter 7 or 8 right when you're about to enter the cave, it crashed every time for us and I had to just finish the chapter solo.

New game + has been pretty fun so far. I just found out about sqfqfaa aoe, so awesome.

Astery

im almost done with this game. Too much 1 hit kills griefing that it's not even fun now. Well I guess that's my partner's problem but still.

Aaron

I wish the element selection on the gamepad wasn't terrible. The elements should correspond with the face buttons, using either a trigger or a bumper as a modifier to get to the second set. That's how Fable did it and it worked well for spell combos. I wouldn't think it would be a natural here, but the devs had to get cute about the control scheme instead.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
How is this thread this small. I just got the game the other night and started co-op with 3 buddies and holy shit. SO GOOD.

-Art is sick.
-Gameplay is amazing.
-Dialogue is god-tier.
-Voice-acting is oscar-worthy.
-Achievements names are funny as hell.
-IT WAS ONLY 10$. I FEEL LIKE I JUST ROBBED SOMEONE.

derFeef

Stallion Free said:
How is this thread this small. I just got the game the other night and started co-op with 3 buddies and holy shit. SO GOOD.

-Art is sick.
-Gameplay is amazing.
-Dialogue is god-tier.
-Voice-acting is oscar-worthy.
-Achievements names are funny as hell.
-IT WAS ONLY 10$. I FEEL LIKE I JUST ROBBED SOMEONE.
Indeed, almost beat it in one sitting with 2 friends yesterday (it was 3am when we quit). Amazingly hilarious game. And works really well now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
derFeef said:
Indeed, almost beat it in one sitting with 2 friends yesterday (it was 3am when we quit). Amazingly hilarious game. And works really well now.
The only reason we stopped was because the host crashed :(

Can't wait to play tonight though.

derFeef said:

I bought the game for 2 of my brothers and cant get either of them to play thru the campaign with me, so ive just been playing the challenge mode :-\

Nabs

This game is so good. I'm happy to hear that it's a huge success. I can't imagine the type of numbers we'll see when there's a decent sale.

I have the game running with MLAA and triple buffering from d3d. Runs and looks great :D

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just watched the GiantBomb QL, oh man, I was in tears. If the co-op works with any level of quality now, I'm buying this for me and a few friends tonight.

Zomba13

The_Technomancer said:
Just watched the GiantBomb QL, oh man, I was in tears. If the co-op works with any level of quality now, I'm buying this for me and a few friends tonight.
It's a lot better than what they showed in the QL. Brad didn't seem to read the tutorial things and didn't realise that some elements cancel each other out and the more of one element the more powerful the spell is. He just ends up mashing keys and not experimenting. The online worked mostly fine for me and a friend. was a bit less fine with another friend though but I think it's all good now.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Zomba13 said:
It's a lot better than what they showed in the QL. Brad didn't seem to read the tutorial things and didn't realise that some elements cancel each other out and the more of one element the more powerful the spell is. He just ends up mashing keys and not experimenting. The online worked mostly fine for me and a friend. was a bit less fine with another friend though but I think it's all good now.
Yeah, I tried out the demo a bit. Is there a reference anywhere for what elements cancel and what ones "combine" (like fire and water)?

Also, are there any rules to how spells inherit type or element? Like....why does fire-earth become a fiery boulder and not a spray of pebbles?

Nabs

Zomba13 said:
sounds like i've heard this before

Top Bottom